Reading Murakami Haruki's 1Q84 (Intermediate/Advanced Book)

Hi! I have internet for the next couple days so I figured I’d check in! I just finished book 2 and I’m really enjoying it so far. I didn’t realize just how massive of a book this is—I took a break to read some other things but I think I’ll be diving back in next week or so. Sorry I haven’t been available to discuss. I’ve been really missing the book clubs but I’m still here in spirit!

4 Likes

Hey, good to hear from you - I hope everything is going well on your end!
Glad to hear you’re enjoying the book :blush: And don’t worry about the discussions - sometimes things just work out differently, and if you check in here once in a while, then that’s great :+1:

3 Likes

@NicoleIsEnough @Greti33
Just checking, this week’s reading is Chapters 20 and 21, right? Maybe the last week of March will be 22-24?

Chapter 19 was disturbing and bewildering. :flushed:

3 Likes

@NicoleIsEnough @Greti33
How’s the reading going? Ready to move on to Book II?

Not much discussion lately, I guess the last few chapters weren’t that interesting in general (except for the Little People developments). This book is definitely more of a marathon than a sprint though. It feels like things are just starting to get set in motion.

3 Likes

I’ve been travelling (finally had my graduation ceremony! :3) so things have been a little chaotic in the past two weeks. Didn’t have much time to read or the energy to post discussions (sorry about that :frowning: ). But I don’t have much left to go (only about a chapter), so I am happy to move onto Book II whenever you guys are ready :3 I’ll try my best to be a little more active with the discussion once things settle down a little.

3 Likes

Hi :wave: I’m sorry but I have been swamped with work for the last 6 or more weeks - needed to prepare conference talks and training sessions so everything was with a hard deadline - happy to say that I managed to hit them all but it included some late-night work :flushed: so I was happy when I could read 1-2 pages of Japanese in a day :woozy_face:

In other words, I think I‘m still stuck in chapter 16 or so, plus I just bought a book for a friend but I‘d like to read it myself before handing it to them, and it’s quite thick :roll_eyes: In other words, please don’t be mad at me but I think I will pause here for the time being…

3 Likes

Just started reading this from the beginning. Read the first of three books in English a few years ago, so have some recollection of the events, but wanted to read it all in Japanese. Not sure where everyone is going, but trying to catch up :eyes:.

4 Likes

Welcome! I just recently finished Book 2, Part 1.

4 Likes

Me too! Taking a break from the IBC. It’ll probably be a slower pace for me as I’ve got some other stuff going on.

5 Likes

Since we seem to have more and more folks joining I threw some polls up in in the OP to track our progress and to see who’s reading along!

6 Likes