Reading mnemonic for 翔

Using this sheep that can fly, you’re going to get rich! But there’s a problem… you have to catch the sheep. So, you get some cake (かけ) and use it to lure the sheep to your trap, where you catch it!

The reading mnemonic for is the most confusing I’ve seen-- how does cake sound like かけ? Especially when cake is usually used for けい.

4 Likes

In the same way たもつ sounds like tomato. It really doesn’t. Though cake is definitely very confusing, so let’s ping the @Mods so they can look at it.

I have a hard time understanding why almost no items use actual Japanese mnemonics. By the time you learn this Kanj, you’ve learned numerous variants of the verb かける, so why not use that for the mnemonic?

6 Likes

It might not be their reasoning, but I can see not wanting to imply that this かける is related to other かける’s that were taught on the site earlier.

The fact that it’s godan when the others are ichidan is a sign there’s some etymological distinction somewhere.

But maybe there’s some other reason and they wouldn’t care about that.

2 Likes

I don’t even remember WK’s mnemonic since I made my own. I think the one I thought up was something like:

“My pet sheep grew feathers and suddenly got cocky “かけ” and thought it could fly. This didn’t end well….”

3 Likes

Then, perhaps remembering as (かけ)る (not as (かけ)) would help. (But that’s not the way of Wanikani Kanji Kun’yomi remembering.)

Mnemonic: Kicking itself (()る) into a か (car? house? mother?).

It seems to be related to ()ける. Also, it can be seen in IME as ()ける.

Thanks! I’ll ask our team to take a closer look to see if this is something that should be changed.

2 Likes

I’ve been wondering about that one. I do sense the risk of confusion on a level I’m unawares of, language-wise. So, I guess, it depends on what sort of mnemonic and use of Japanese here.

But personally, I’ve made several mnemonics of my own, relying on Japanese. if I can build a story, it doesn’t matter much how or why it works to help me internalize a reading. Just as WK use random decided upon “sound bits” from English, you can also do that for Japanese and just not read deeper into why this かけ is different from another use of this reading. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

The mnemonic doesn’t say たもつ sounds like tomato, its says it sounds like “tamots”, which is “slang for delish tomatoes”. You mean to say you don’t use “tamots” all the time?

4 Likes

かけ sounds like “kake” which is the Norwegian word for cake. The connection is obvious and should not be questioned./jk

4 Likes

i would imagine it’s because you spell “cake” as かけ. it is a little silly that it changed from the sound of “cake” to the spelling of “cake”

1 Like

Tomato tamotsu, been a bit since I saw that mnemonic

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.