📚 📚 Read Japanese Every Day Challenge - Spring 2024 🌸 🍡 🌱

Work was brutal this week, so my reading was pretty much nominal :sob:
I started as usual chipping at 月刊少女野崎くん, started vol.10
08.04 - 8 pages
09.04 - 3
10.04 - 6
11.04 - 1 page
12.04 - I gave up, because i had no brains left in the evening again so I read a bit of 雨と君と 1 (it’s much easier, but I’m not really into it)
13.04 - 雨と君と again
14.04 - finally finished second chapter of 月刊, catching up with the club. And a bit of 黄泉のツガイ 4 as a reward (btw volume 7 will be out 5月11日. I’m not sure that I’ll finish reading existing volumes by then but tears of happiness nonetheless).
I feel like my comprehension level deteriorated, cause my input this week was almost non-existant (I stopped listening and reduced wanikani too). Well, survival first I guess :woman_shrugging:

19 Likes

:house: Home Post | :writing_hand: Study Log | 04月14日

Resource Progress Visual
:orange_book: Tadoku L3 Stories 4/24 → 6/24 ■■□□□□□□□□ 25%
:green_book: Tadoku L4 Stories 0/9 □□□□□□□□□□
:blue_book: Tadoku L5 Stories 0/3 □□□□□□□□□□
:newspaper_roll: NHK Articles 0 □□□□□□□□□□
:coffee: Shirokuma Cafe 8% □□□□□□□□□□
:teddy_bear: 老女的少女ひなたちゃん1巻 0/9 → 0.3/9 □□□□□□□□□□ 3%
:open_book: DoBJG 0/205 → 7/205 □□□□□□□□□□ 3%

Spent about 75 years (2.5 hours) Taking notes on DoBJG and the ABBC book but I really enjoyed the process, I like putting all my notes into one place :smiley: Looking forward to doing more tomorrow.

20 Likes

4月14日 | Home post

Fiished one more chapter of アオハライド Volume 6.

• アオハライド (6) (pp. 95-135)
  • DoBJG: から (2); から (3); かしら (28%)
  • N4単語 weekly Anki cards: pp. 134-145 (72%)
19 Likes

Oops, forgot to post yesterday!

April 13th
Today I read the first chapter of 気になってる人が男じゃなかった Volume 2

April 14th
Chapter 3 of 老女的少女ひなたちゃん today.

(Home Post)

19 Likes

:house: home post :house:
:calendar: 2024年4月14日 :calendar:

:question: Title Read today Currently at Notes
:orange_book: Secret 2 episodes 78/98
:bust_in_silhouette: シャドーハウス 6 chapters 80/175
17 Likes

13th + 14th april

more pixiv and misc bits and pieces elsewhere. was planning to do smth more substantial but brain wasn’t cooperating

17 Likes

Week 2 update
Not a great week this time, I haven’t done a lot of reading… but I still managed to translate a poem (which took me a lot of time) and to read some others, and also to read some sentences from the Kanji learners’ course.
For WK, I still have a little more than 1900 reviews awaiting me :sob: it’s getting out of control, I really need to get back to it… I’m starting to wonder if SRS system is really the best method for me, but now that I’ve started, I want to do it until the end.

I will do better for week 3 :rocket:

21 Likes

:notebook_with_decorative_cover: :video_game: :cherry_blossom: :shamrock: April 4 - April 13

I’ve been very busy and didn’t update here, but I’ve read something every day, even if one day it was just reading japanese text from t-shirts.

I’ve made some progress with 傲慢と善良 (51% → 64%) and finished ハイキュー!! Vol. 5.

Hopefully back to daily tracking now.

21 Likes

April 14 | Home post

Lots of reading today! A few pages from Zenitendou 1, chapter 2, plus 2000 characters each from Christmas Tina and Island. When I start reading VNs, I can’t stop. Just one more sentence! It’s getting easier to read them too. Still not easy, not by far, but at least it’s getting easier.

21 Likes

四月十四日・Home Post

I read another chapter of ちょこちゃん (I will eventually finish it even if I’m only reading a chapter a day) and dissected a few sentences from my N5 book.

20 Likes

:bookmark: Home post // April 14 :cherry_blossom: :dango: :seedling:

・ 今はもうない - Switch Back (13% → 14%)

Tiny read today. Time to start the second week’s part which is ch 1.5 - ch 1.10.

20 Likes

April 7-13

台所のドラゴン chapters 15 and 16 thereby finishing volume two, 同じ夢 pages 132-141, the first reading in Quartet 2 chapter 7, and a graded reader about tomatoes since everyone else was reading it.

20 Likes

15 April | Study Log

:question: Title Type Natively Progress
:cat2: また、同じ夢を見ていた book 25 57% → 60%
:eagle: ダンジョン飯6 manga 29 15% (no change)
:candy: 不思議駄菓子屋1 book 24 84% (no change)
  • Finished the week’s reading for 同じ夢.
  • Will probably read another manga tonight, probably ひなのままじゃだめですか3 or maybe ゆるキャン△2 (though unlikely)
20 Likes

Home post.

This week I started looking up single words on Jisho. Besides new vocabulary, it taught me 2 things:
A. the critical kanjis that were new to me, and which kept reoccurring, are pretty much all listed in the top half of the highest frequency kanjis on wkstats. I will need to reach the mid-twenties WK levels to cover them all, which at my current speed I might just about manage by the end of this challenge. Perfect timing :grin:
B. I’m a lazy bum and find that dictionary lookups are a bore. After ploughing through Tadoku books the hard way, it’s a relief to return to Satori Reader for a while, at least until I reach higher comprehension levels.
Reading through people’s posts on this thread is incredibly motivating and inspiring. Can’t wait to join the chorus of those who complain that they only made it through one chapter… :laughing:. Keep it up!

22 Likes

Read a level 0 Tadoku Book ( 夜の空で). I’m eager to learn more Kanji so I can better understand stories. I started using a separate SRS to track additional vocabulary, but left out/suspended many words since I don’t know the related kanji yet.

20 Likes

I think that might be the case in more ‘literary’ works but most of the dialogue in Dragon Ball is some variety of “i’m gonna defeat you” “you fool, you’ll never defeat me” and occassionaly an explanation of why the dragon balls will or won’t save everyone lol

10 Likes

i picked up the first four vols of Dragon Ball the other day, so I guess we’ll see at some point

11 Likes

April 11th-13 | SeanBones’ Home Post

Book Progress
Danshi Kokoseidakedo Gyaru ni TS Shimashita Chapter 2
:fountain_pen: Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun Chapters 91 and 92

Thoughts:

Of course I read and loved my weekly Nozaki-kun chapters, but I also quick read a manga about a guy becoming a gyaru. It was… both more and less than I hoped for? The slang was absolutely incredible in diversity and difficulty, but easy to get the vibe of. The actual manga itself is… well I will try not to be too disparaging so I will just call it underdeveloped for now.

Side note:

Been taking care of my wife who is sick, so even though I’ve been reading, I haven’t been able to post as often as I wanted to. Thankfully she is getting better day by day, so hopefully things go back to normal soon!

20 Likes

lol.

i really need to figure out an easier way to keep an eye on new releases… like a feedly or an RSS feed or something. When they get a volume I can just chuck them on an amazon list or bookwalker and wait for a sale or to have extra credit or something, but I always end up losing track of these new manga until i see them again on twitter or something.

6 Likes

:cherry_blossom: 4月14日 :cherry_blossom: (home post link)

Haven’t been doing a great job of doing update posts, but I have been reading at least a lil bit every day!

Today I finished my first two volumes of the challenge:

• スーパーの裏でヤニ吸うふたり volume 1 (reread) - i’ve been chipping away at this since I got the physicals last december, nice comfy cute read. And since I already read them with the club, it’s a nice experience getting to see how much easier it is now :laughing:
  • 僕の心のヤバイやつ volume 1 - a friend got me to try this out finally, and it’s good! Very cute, I was initially kinda turned off by the mc’s violent intrusive thoughts, but it feels like that’s not as much of a focus as I thought it would be based on the anime pvs I remembered for s1. By all accounts, s2 is supposed to be great, and the manga is only supposed to get better from here so I’m looking forward to it!

I also spent a bit of time looking at some of the famous lines from the 平家物語 after watching the anime adaptation from a few years ago. Lots of buddhist words and archaic grammar in those ones, but they’re fun to chew over. Here’s a passage from the opening that I know for a fact I’ve seen referenced in other stuff before:

祇園精舎ぎおんしょうじゃの鐘の声、諸行無常のひびきあり。娑羅双樹しゃらそうじゅの花の色、盛者しょうじゃ必衰のことわりをあらわす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯、春の夜の夢のごとし。たけきものもついにはほろびぬ、ひとえに風の前のちりに同じ。」

The full text is way too much for me to do right now (well, that’s just vol 1, but it’s all out there), but the show quotes so heavily from the actual text (especially in biwa’s playing) that it’s kinda nice to take some time with it. Some day i’ll get to you, japanese classical literature, but not this day :laughing:

20 Likes