📚📚 Read every day challenge - Winter 2023 ☃❄

I don’t think my reading figures today are entirely accurate as I read some on the plane yesterday/ overnight. I basically got to the final chapter of シャドーハウス and found that one page had failed to download. So skimmed the rest of the volume, and went back to finish it today with that page downloaded.

23/1 8 pages シャドーハウス (finished volume 4, which I kind of did yesterday), 25 pages Spy Family (finished mission)

I’m gradually working my way through this week’s book club reading. Then if I have time I’ll read some of Age 22 which everyone else has finished already I think.

24 Likes

Updates for the weekend!

:open_book: :desktop_computer: :snowman_with_snow: :snowflake: January 20

Read some ユージニア (63% → 65%).

:open_book: :desktop_computer: :snowman_with_snow: :snowflake: January 21

Tiny ユージニア (65% → 66%) but played BU$TAFELLOWS 1h 45min

:open_book: :desktop_computer: :snowman_with_snow: :snowflake: January 22

Some more ユージニア (66% → 70%)

25 Likes

Home post

1 月 23 日
コナの大冒険 第29話 :black_cat:

Back to Kona’s adventures on the weekdays! One episode short of being exactly two thirds through the whole series. :slight_smile: And I’m thinking I can finish my first series on Satorireader just in time for the start of my first ABBC. Yay!

New vocab:
  • 遠吠「とおぼえ」howling
  • 群れ「むれ」group, crowd, flock, herd, swarm
  • 狩り「かり」hunting
  • 獲物「えもの」game, spoils, prey
  • 離れる「はなれる」to be separated, to be apart, to be distant
  • 暗闇「くらやみ」darkness
  • 瞬間「しゅんかん」moment, second, instant
  • 一瞬にして「いっしゅんにして」in an instant, instantaneously, in the twinkling of an eye
  • あっという間「あっていうま」a blink of time, the time it takes to say Ah!

Last three are so similar in meaning. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

25 Likes

:snowflake: Day 23, 23rd of January :snowflake:

:open_book: Back to my Home Post

I only have something over a dozen stories left, so I want to get these done this week. I want to read The Tile World Chronicles finally! It’s been my goal since the last challenge.

So today we start with this story. It’s about the army, so there’s lots of use of the imperative form. I don’t know anything about how that one is formed, so I want to read up on the rules later today. Also, I wonder how they say military time? In English they apparently say “twenty-two-hundred” for 22:00.

In the next story we meet another wizard. There’s an amazing animated illustration in this one, please go check it out! You can see the wizard at work. In this story he’s making a potion with his helper mouse.

In this story some people meet on the road and decide to travel together towards a certain kingdom. So lots of introcutory phrases.

21 Likes

spots 雨と君と

I see the Tanuki curse is back in this thread…

まっ・・・まさか!

This is your doing, fiend!!! Don’t let them escape!

:raccoon: :dash: :rotating_light: :police_car:

My mind just reminded me of this one video but with a Tanuki instead. This is what I do instead of reading and updating my posts.

22 Likes

Jan 23, Mon of Week 5 of Winter Q1 2023 :snowman::snowflake:

• はたらく細胞 Black Vol.4 Ch.18-19 (start volume)

Actually, I skimmed the whole volume for what to expect. Hope? Hopeless?

Words of the day
  • ザラ = commonplace
  • 重篤(じゅうとく) = critically ill
  • 促進(そくしん) = facilitation; hastening
  • 疲弊(ひへい) = exhaustion; being tired and getting weak
  • 決壊(けっかい) = burst
  • 瘻管(ろうかん) = fistula. First Kanji is sickly building thing.
  • 痔瘻(じろう) = anal fistula. First Kanji is from ()() = (painful) anal fissure.
  • 排泄(はいせつ) = excretion. Second Kanji also used in 漏泄(ろうせつ) which can also be read 漏泄(ろうえい) (which can also be written 漏洩(ろうえい)).
  • 肩身(かたみ)(せま)い = feeling ashamed
24 Likes

home post

23 jan

read chapter 2 of 蟲師 vol 3 and he first twenty pages or so was deceptively easy (words i didn’t know in abundance, but grammar was okay) and then the second half was really hard! it introduced a character who spoke in old-fashioned speech and a dialect, i’ll put some pictures in (edit: this character didn’t make it into the pictures idk what happened :joy:). nice story tho, more mournful vibes

words that stuck out: もや (mist), 口出し (interference, butting in), 仲買 (brokerage)

next story looks like it’s about teeth so i’m sure that’s not gonna be horrible at all :grimacing:

pictures

i’m assuming 行きゃせん is the same as 行きません?

is this the ~ちゃだめ (いかない etc.) construction?

my first n1 grammar point! idk why this feels so momentous :joy:

a little linguistic thing i thought was nice, the thing about 海千山千

25 Likes

:snowman_with_snow: :snowflake: January 23 :snowflake: :snowman_with_snow:
Home Post

NHK なぜ人は、雪に向かってしまうのか :newspaper_roll:
Novel in English :books:

So… stayed up way too late again last night reading a novel in English. I had to finally put it aside when I got too tired to continue at waaaaay-tooooooo-laaaaaate-o-clock. I’ve been freaking tired today.

I finished off that novel and to get some Japanese reading done I went ahead and read the article I linked above. Learning all about why people might be stupid enough to leave home when a blizzard is predicted. Since I personally don’t get that kinda thinking, it was a bit interesting. But also kinda simple in the standard of that kind of article I could read in Swedish/English.

Well, I had an easy enough time reading it with safarikai giving me look ups when needed.

Also, I’m already up to 6 finished novels in English so far this year, so if I keep this up I can hit the goal I’m aiming for (50 books in a year) easily. I want 50 books a year to become my minimum, so it is important to be reading most days. But maybe, I can slow down a little and not read until 3-4 in the morning when I get up at 7:30? Yeah, maybe?..

Please… Self… I want to read, but I’m too old to function on no sleep… :sleepy:

29 Likes

:raccoon: :books: The Tanuki Kotatsu Reading Den :snowflake: :raccoon:

January 23rd
新書太閣記 progress: 03.74% // Volume I: 43.35% :rowing_man:

Doesn’t seem to matter how much I manage to read of this I still want to read further, come on brain, learn the Japanese so I can read moreeee

Words found under the kotatsu

「とろ」ー Pool in a river
竹箒「たけぼうき」ー Bamboo broom (also: 竹ぼうき)
零細「れいさい」ー Insignificant; paltry; tiny
内輪揉「うちわもめ」ー Internal conflict; domestic trouble
昏々「こんこん」ー Fast asleep; dead to the world
小理窟「こりくつ」ー Pointless argument; quibble

Character Name List

Probably some spoilers, but this is a historic novel, so can spoilers really exist for things that have (for the most part) actually happened :thinking:

Main
Hideyoshi: 豊臣秀吉「とよとみ ひでよし」
– – – Childhood name: 日吉「ひよし」
– – – Childhood nickname: 猿「さる」

Volume I: 1535 - 15??
日吉「ひよし」- Hideyoshi (as child)
Nickname: 猿「さる」

Family
木下弥右衛門「きのした やえもん」- Father
筑阿弥「ちくあみ」ー Step-father
大政所「おおまんどころ」// also お奈加「おなか」ー Mother
おつみ - Older sister
小竹「こちく」- Baby brother
加藤清正「かとう きよまさ」// also 弾正「だんじょう」- Ojisan (only distantly related (before marriage))
– Married to: おえつ (sister of お奈加)

Friends & Acquaintances
仁王「におう」- Big kid friend
於福「おふく」(Nickname - full name: 福太郎「ふくたろ」) // 楊景福「ようけいふく」(Chinese name/birth name) - Timid kid friend (older than Hideyoshi)
– 五郎大夫 「ごろ だゆう」// 祥瑞「しょうずい」(Chinese name) - Father
– 梨琴「りきん」- Mother
捨次郎「すてじろう」- Previous servant to 五郎, later the adoptive father of 於福, and owner of a tea ware shop - and employer of, and master to, Hideyoshi

Hachisuka Clan
蜂須賀小六「はちすか ころく」(also 正勝 「まさかつ」) - Head of the Hachisuka clan
– Married to 松波「まつなみ」
– – 亀一「かめいち」ー Son

Retainers:
– – 稲田大炊助「いなだ おおいのすけ]
– – 青山新七「あおやま しんしち」
– – 長井半之丞「ながい はんのじょう」
– – 松原内匠「まつばら たくみ」

– 国吉「くによし」ー Gunsmith/blacksmith
– 渡辺天蔵「わたなべ てんぞう」- Deserter - Nobushi (Nephew to Koroku)

Oda Clan
織田信秀「おだ のぶひで」- Daimyo
– 織田与三郎「おだ よさぶろう」- Younger brother

Shiba Clan
斯波義統「しば よしむね」- Head of the Shiba clan, at Kiyosu castle

Others
今川義元「いまがわ よしもと」- Daimyo

Historical People
  • 阿倍仲麻呂「あべ の なかまろ」ー Japanese scholar & poet (700s)

• 白楽天「はく きょい」ー Chinese poet (Bai Juyi / Bo Juyi) also known as: 白楽天「はく らくてん」in Japan. (Late 700s)

• 道元「どうげん」(or 道元禅師「どうげん ぜんじ」ー Japanese Buddhist Priest, writer & poet (also known as 栄西禅師「えいさい ぜんじ」) (Early / mid 1200s)

• 空海「くうかい」ー The one and only Kukai or Kobo Daishi - a Buddhist monk. Posthumously given the title of: 弘法大師「こうぼう だいし」born as: 佐伯 眞魚「さえき の まお」(late 700s / early 800s)

• 源頼政「みなもと の よりまさ」ー Prominent poet and warrior (1100s)

Replybox

somehow forgot to say, but…
Kiro Kiro Kiro!!
He’s grown so much!!

25 Likes

Home Post

Yearly goal: 627 down, 9,373 to go :joy_cat:

Last week’s reading:

• Read a bit more of 半落ち but figured that it’s too difficult right now. Maybe next year or so :upside_down_face:
  • Read a lot of Tuberose. Unfortunately, in my opinion the second book does not match the expectations from the first book by far :cry:
  • Continued 1Q84 (now in chapter 14). Nice to get into the book again, and Murakami does a good job of getting me up to speed again even after 18+ months.

Plans for this week:

• Continue and finish Tuberose
  • Read up to the end of chapter 16 in 1Q84
  • Start Flesh & Blood Vol. 11
30 Likes

January 23rd

:snowman: Home post :snowflake:

Card Captor Sakura volume 7 / volume 8 – progress report
Yesterday: Read up to page 189, finished chapter 30 and volume 7. Began reading volume 8, read up to page 20.
Today: Continued up to page 53, finished chapter 31.

It’s getting late and I didn’t have much energy to read more than half of a chapter. :sleepy:

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Word or expression of the day:
心臓 - (しんぞう) - heart; guts, nerve, gall ; central part

Honourable mention(s):
和菓子 - (わがし) - Wagashi, traditional Japanese confectionery
Now I know what these sweets are called that are often(?) offered in tea ceremonies

24 Likes

:snowflake: :snowman: Home Post :snowman: :snowflake:

January 23rd.

What: ピーチガール 2
Pages: 20
Time: 15

Was a sneaky girl today… I read during a slow period at work… I don’t slack off at work, I promise. It’s just I’m still in the training phase which means I sometimes have nothing to do and I can only read relevant work documents for so long This led me to discover that reading on the Bookwalker app is (maybe) better than on my laptop!? I didn’t know you could zoom that far in! No trouble reading those pesky little characters anymore. I might make this into a habit.

Apropos of nothing, fellow European readers: where are you buying your physical books? Amazon.jp? I am officially™ putting aside a little sum of my next paycheck to buy manga, and would love some tips. Big pro if shipping is cheaper than the actual books.

New Girl aka Memoria's Work Woes

Actually this isn’t a woe, I don’t have work woes yet (except for being tired when I get home), but I have a dilemma. I’m suddenly on kitchen duty this week which means I need to keep the work kitchen tidy (easy) and run the coffee machine through a wash every morning (also easy) but I need to bring a CAKE or some kind of SNACK to lunch on Friday (NOT easy). My plan was to monitor my coworkers for a few weeks to see what kind of stuff they bring in and match their energy, but now I can’t do that. :melting_face:

Sorry for making the reading thread into my journal but also you are reading this voluntarily so maybe it’s cool.

27 Likes

:books: :snowflake: softlyraining’s snowy book stack :snowboarder: :open_book:

January 21st ・ January 22nd ・ January 23rd

:yellow_square: ラストで君は「まさか!」と言う 冬の物語 (69% → 76%)

I decided to go back to 冬の物語. My goal is to finish the book by Sunday, which should be doable if I read one story per day. The stories from yesterday and today were both okay. Today’s was a little more interesting, though, because there was a note on the side of one page about 秋田弁. The phrase was 「たんせ」which is apparently used like てください. For example, 食べてください would be 食べてたんせ. The setting for the story was the 40s (though there wasn’t really any mention of the war, which I was surprised about), so I’m not sure how prevalent this phrase is nowadays.

25 Likes

January 22 :heavy_check_mark: :tumbler_glass:

チュベローズで待ってる AGE32 , 46-63%

January 23 :heavy_check_mark: :flashlight:

半落ち , 22-30%

Yesterday I picked up speed in チュベローズで待ってる a little. It’s starting to get to the meat of the story finally in the latter half of the book. I still could take it or leave it, but it’s more compelling than in the beginning at least.

And today I read this week’s portion of 半落ち. Still like it a lot, and still want to keep reading after I finish each session, even though I need about a thousand lookups per sentence (it’s getting better though, I’m finally getting used to several of those police and prosecutor terms).

Tomorrow the plan is to go back to チュベローズで待ってる and try and finish it within the week. (I realize I also need to fit the Wild Ladies somewhere). With that out of the way, and with no new book clubs coming up for me in the near future, I’m looking forward to devoting time to some of my tsundoku books soon.

Speaking of new books, @pocketcat, have you read any more from 正欲? There’s a 40% coin back on it (and many other books, although I saw no promotion message) for the next few days. I’d still rather wait for a 50% (greedy), but if you still like it and you’re still looking for company I guess 40% is not bad.

27 Likes

I’m slowly being crushed by my current workload so haven’t gotten any further (I stopped checking this thread actually cause no time to read it all so thanks for the ping! Would’ve missed otherwise).

The next “chapter” is about 30min so I can try to squeeze it in tonight and see if it ramps down at all in difficulty.

12 Likes

Day 22
I finished the first volume of Tsugumomo. There is plenty of action in the manga sometimes there are lots of pages with hardly anything to read. Rereading the manga is more fun than I expected.

It’s pretty funny I never enjoyed reading translated manga that much but reading manga in japanese is super awesome.

1915 pages read 18085 to go

23 Likes

:bookmark: Home post // Jan 23 :snowman_with_snow: :snowflake:

・ 封印再度 (54% → 58%)

Got in more pages in the morning than I thought. Today was busy. …I’ll probably say that every day the next few weeks, heh.

28 Likes

January 23rd (Day 23) :snowflake: :cat2:

Home post :books:

Another chapter of チュベローズで待ってる AGE32 down! I really hope I’ll feel better in the upcoming days so that I can get more reading done (and finish the book soon). Also hoping to get back to Kafka on the Shore this week :3

Oh, and I found myself a reading buddy! She was patiently waiting for me to turn on her bird videos :sweat_smile:

26 Likes

:cup_with_straw: Home :it:

January 23rd

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険7
67 - 89

Finally back to reading the main JoJo storyline. This bit was less gory than I remembered which was nice because I went to bed straight after. Hopefully now I’ll break my habit of avoiding it. I don’t recall much later stuff being the same level or length of time of gore.

Also, anyone want to play spot the difference?

23 Likes

January 23rd!

Today I read the next chapter of Teasing Master Takagi-san.
It was a cute one (as always!).
I was planning to read Mitsuboshi Colors today too, but instead I procrastinated for a few hours and now I need to go to bed :sweat_smile:

(Home Post)

24 Likes