📚📚 Read every day challenge - Winter 2023 ☃❄

:spiral_calendar: Day 20: January 20th :cloud_with_snow:

spacer:girl: からかい上手の(元)高木さん Volume 10 (73% ➨ 80%)

spacer:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: からかい上手の高木さん Volume 10 (43% ➨ 53%)

spacer:bust_in_silhouette: シャドーハウス Volume 4 (76% ➨ 80%)

27 Likes

:snowman_with_snow: :snowflake: January 21 :snowflake: :snowman_with_snow:
Home Post

Novel in English :books:

Last night, I did indeed end up reading in English as well, in fact I got totally caught up and read until 3 am. :sweat_smile: Good thing it was Friday…

Today I finished off the book. And while I would normally wait to post until I’d read something in Japanese, I’ve been meaning to post some pictures from my trip to the UK in December, and some new pictures of my kitten Kiro (six months old any day now). (And I don’t know that I’ll get to Japanese today…) Because I did see this: :eyes:

UK

Kiro

16 Dec

Today

Kiro is still a keen snuggler, loving to lay between my body and the laptop when I do reviews. And always wanting to climb and lay on my chest when I’m half sitting up and trying to read VNs on my Switch. He was especially cuddly for the first 3-4 days after I came home from the US (he’d missed me :pleading_face:), and have now settled back into his more usual amount.

Meaning we cuddle a LOT in the morning and whenever I sit down long enough on the couch in the afternoon (usually 20 mins or so until he moves somewhere else), and of course, for some time when I chillax in the evening. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: (We would cuddle less if I didn’t work from home since he’s a cat and only want to lay on me for so long before he moves on.)

31 Likes

Happy Lunar New Year to anyone who celebrates it here. I only know of it because my friends were celebrating. :sweat_smile:

Day 20
The next manga I started reading is Tsugumomo vol.1. I already read some of it in english, it’s not that hard but some rarer vocabulary is used.

1777 pages read 18223 to go

20 Likes

January 16th-21st (Days 16-21) :snowflake: :cat2:

Home post :books:

I got a little lazy and then ill, and I didn’t even realize a week has passed since I’ve last made an update! Oh boi… Where did all that time go? :sob:

I’m not sure whether it’s just the illness, but I feel totally drained of both energy and enhusiasm - getting myself to read this week has been an absolute pain and a chore. It took a lot of self-convincing, but I read every day and slowly made my way through chapters 21-23 of チュベローズで待ってる AGE32. Ah…

Also, there are so many posts I now need to catch up with in this thread :sweat_smile:

26 Likes

I finished my first Japanese book of the challenge! After buying つぐみ 6 months ago for the book club and then deciding that it was too hard (especially as a physical copy of the book), I finally finished it and really enjoyed it! Here is my review on Natively if anyone is interested.

In other news, I finished 我能摸摸你的财神光环吗?in Mandarin last week (finally! it was decent but it took me like 2 months to finish haha) and decided to DNF La librería del señor Livingstone in Spanish after 100 pages because I wasn’t feeling it :sweat_smile:.

25 Likes

:bookmark: Home post // Jan 21 :snowman_with_snow: :snowflake:

・ 封印再度 (42% → 52%)

Finally continuing Saikawa & Moe from where I left off last year. Somehow managed to finish week 5, so just 6, 7 and 8 left to catch up with book club.

Also totally random (I blame Millie Parfait :caught_durtling: ), but I thought maybe the Tagalog course on Duolingo might be available now after waiting for years, but it wasn’t :smiling_face_with_tear: There was however an English course for Tagalog speakers instead, so I tried that :eyes: I only know a handful of words, so I had to rely on google translate to understand anything at all, but it was very fun! Especially trying to repeat back the read-aloud by the google translate robot lady. What left the biggest impression on me was the intonation of words and sentences - it has a totally different feel from any other language I know. Would be fun to learn more Filipino when I’m not so busy.

28 Likes

Decided to give myself an extra week on the manga after how my first week went. I also decided since I was starting late to swap Jan and Febs books since Febs is a very short collection of short stories.

I also figured out why I wasn’t able to finish the first chapter of コンビニ人間 when I last tried to read it…it’s because it doesn’t have chapters at all lol.

Anyway finished 本好き 第一部 2! Onto V3.

As for the book…can’t say I’m the biggest fan is Soseki so far, but it’s easy enough to finish in time.

23 Likes

:snowflake: Day 21, 21st of January :snowflake:

:open_book: Back to my Home Post

I’ve been focusing on doing lots of listening, so only one story today. Here a fairy explains all the items you can use to protect yourself on a quest. These particular ones came from the treasure chest our adventurers found after fighting the dragon. Almost got tricked by the negative tense because I had that confusing experience with 危ない…

21 Likes

January 21 :heavy_check_mark: :tumbler_glass:

チュベローズで待ってる AGE32 , 36-46%

I decided to persevere with this book a little longer, and it did in fact get better - hope it lasts.

26 Likes

Well I haven’t responded in the thread for a while now but I’m still following the challenge on the sidelines. I’ve kept reading a chapter per day of 宇崎ちゃん at the very least. I’ve finished the first volume and started the second one. It’s getting easier, less tiring and I’ve adjusted my setup so it helps a lot. I have a lot on my plate overall since the holidays ended but at least I try to carve out 30 minutes every day for it.

Hope everyone is having fun in their own way !

24 Likes

Wasn’t feeling super motivated yesterday so read some シャドーハウス

21/1 25 pages シャドーハウス (finished chapters 58+59)

I’m at the airport now and should be able to read quite a bit on the plane.

23 Likes

January 21st!

Today I finished Chapter 3 of Cells at Work.
I’m still finding it a very difficult read, but watching the anime has helped a lot since it helped me get the hang of some of the vocab, and also made the info boxes that explain things much less intimidating, since I now have a better understanding of the concepts they are explaining.

(Home Post)

24 Likes

January 18th-21st :snowflake:
Home Post :house_with_garden:

• 18/1: :teacher: 教養366, 23min.
  • 19/1: :dragon: 暁のヨナ for the bookclub, ch. 104, a short (~20min), yet so heartbreaking chapter… cried
  • 20/1: :heavy_multiplication_x: missed day :cry: it was such a long day, got home so late and had extra work to do… just went straight to bed…
  • 21/1: :teacher: 教養366, 22min.
Replies

Yayyyy!!! Thank you so much, I already saw some of the next ones you posted… I cannot resist, they’re too cute :pleading_face: Thanks for sharing those!

Hi??? Hello Kiro??? nice to meet you??! He looks so fluffy and adorable… thank you for sharing these and gracing us with Kiro pictures! he healed my weary soul!! :pleading_face: :pray:

Thank you for you reply!! I’m really sold, I think I’ll try to be bold and I’m going to get the first novel and start with this, it will be an early bday gift to myself lol. I do agree about the art on the covers! I’ve already seen them myself and they look so pretty! :star_struck: I gotta say though, if you haven’t tried the manga, the art there is pretty gorgeous too, every single page had my eyes feasting!

26 Likes

:snowflake: :red_gift_envelope: 1月21日 :red_gift_envelope: :snowflake: (Home Post Link)

Another easy day for reading and busy day irl, but i think tomorrow I’ll be ready to start reading a bit more again. I did get to go to daiso today, and mostly managed to avoid buying anything I didn’t need for the most part.

That is, except for these:

which I saw in the check-out line and realized it would go against my internal sense of childhood justice to not grab.

Read:

• ホリミヤ ch 88
Good Words

庇護欲「ひごよく」ー desire to protect
貧血「ひんけつ」ー anemia
仮病「けびょう」ー feigned illness
結び「むすび」ー ending, conclusion
ぐしゃぐしゃ ー messy, untidy

25 Likes

January 21 :snowflake: Home Post

Well today I felt like doing precisely none of the things I have been, so I went completely off course and started playing Genshin Impact? Whoops :joy: I’m definitely not far enough to have an actual concept of anything but it’s been a good time, I mostly just explored and collected stuff, definite Breath of the Wild vibes so far which I’m always down for! Language-wise it’s pretty okay, I’m going at it with a much more extensive style than I’m typically comfortable with but I think it’s working. The beginning with initial exposition stuff with no context and every item you pick up being new was the roughest, but I think I’m settling into it :grin: so we shall see!

25 Likes

🎉Day 22 Status Report🎉

Home Post :snowman_with_snow:

My last status report was 18 days ago, oops. But I read (almost) every day since then so it’s probably fine.

I said last time that I was gonna finish うずまき in two weeks and I almost achieved it (who cares about 4 days more or less, amiright?). It got kind of repetitive towards the end and I don’t know if I will read volume 2 and 3 as well…

I’m gonna get some physical books in a few days (wanted to read Berserk because everyone recommended it) and I’m looking forward to reading them. In the meantime I might pick up 血の轍 again, who knows.

みんな, good luck with your reading, hope it’s going well for you!

27 Likes

:snowflake: :snowman: Home Post :snowman: :snowflake:

January 22nd.

What: 風のクロノア
Pages: ?
Time: 40 minutes

It’s still going too faaaast, but I am somehow managing to keep up. Despite playing Klonoa 2 way, way too much as a kid, I can’t remember if the text auto advances in that game… Guess we’ll see when I finish the first one. Love the goofy characters in this game… I hope someone’s working on a Klonoa 3 because I want to play it :smiling_face_with_tear:

Oh my gosh, what a sweet kitty. Thank you for sharing Kiro with us :pleading_face:

Ooo! I play Genshin Impact in English every now and then (when I’m not burned out on the gameplay + event loop) but haven’t tried it in Japanese. Interested to know how difficult it is! though there’s no way I’m starting over just to play it in JP… I’ve worked too hard on my team

25 Likes

home post

22nd jan

after dithering over the stuff in my 読みかけ list on bookwalker i went with 四月は君の嘘 cos i’ve got a couple of volumes and i remember the anime being alright (even if it was very 泣きゲー). baffled that kaori’s name is actually spelt かをり. first chapter was very long but not that difficult, just character introductions and stuff. back to 蟲師 tomorrow just in time for the JLPT results to come in :sob:

ohh man i’ve not been to a mr simms in ages! instant nostalgia

22 Likes

Home post

1 月 22 日
からかい上手の高木さん Volume 1 Chapter 4 :smiling_imp:

Halfway through chapter 4, but will probably reread again another day! Little by little getting the hang of recalling the kanji learned from WK that I read in the manga. There’s still more than a handful of moments where I know I should know the meaning and I try to wrack my brain for the answer but it won’t come and I’ll look at it in the vocab list and slap myself on the forehead… :sweat_smile:

23 Likes

:cup_with_straw: Home :mexico:

January 22nd

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険7
-

ララの結婚(けっこん)
153 - 185

Now I gotta wait for the next volumes to arrive…

Depending on how sleepy and how much time I have after my shower, I might read some JoJo too. I have everything but my clothes ready for work tomorrow, so it’s not like I should need extra time in the morning…

23 Likes