📚📚 Read every day challenge - Winter 2023 ☃❄

:cup_with_straw: Home :mexico:

January 16th

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険6
121 - 165

I only had about 15-30 min to read last night before I turned into a :jack_o_lantern: . I’m somewhat surprised by the page count but it was mostly a minor fight and confused yelling. I better finish this volume today lol. I hope I can knock it out after lunch or something.

22 Likes

99% of JoJo. xD

9 Likes

I can’t argue with that lmao. The other 1% is convoluted science/history explanations

9 Likes

1% Lore dump, 99% confused yelling. 100% perfect harmony.

9 Likes

Home post

1 月 17 日
コナの大冒険 第25話 :black_cat:

On today’s episode, I realized that there were only three kanjis on the page that SatoriReader was showing me furigana for. :crazy_face: I’m supposed to be able to read everything but those three and I tried but there were times I’d get confused with the reading (onyomi vs kunyomi). There were also some combined kanji that made up vocab that I hadn’t learned yet. :woozy_face:

Vocab

Kanji I haven’t learned

• 捕る [とる] to take, to catch, to capture
  • 脅かす [おどかす] to threaten, to menace
  • お腹 [おなか] stomach

Learned kanji but new vocab

• 弱肉強食 [じゃくにくきょうしょく] survival of the fittest, law of the jungle, weak are meat the strong do eat

That one’s my favorite phrase for the moment! I like to call it the circle of life… Which Kona will soon learn about. :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

Other things to note and a question
  • だい friendly or familiar way of ending a question: だい to replace だ for questions that CANNOT be answered with a yes or no
  • かい friendly or familiar way of ending a question: かい to replace か for questions that CAN be answered with a yes or no
  • あいつ that guy, that dude (familiar or derogatory)

I noted that they list animal names in katakana such as ネズミ, リス, ウサギ from this episode and タカ from the last episode. Can anyone explain why they’re using katakana for those?

Finally, there’s so many people to congratulate on their first volume, manga, or book! Congrats everyone! And happy cake day as well to @Redglare !

26 Likes

With most animals (and plants as well) it’s just the norm to write them in katakana rather than kanji or hiragana. With some, it may have to do with how common they are, but with others, that doesn’t seem to be the case. I mean, 猫 and 犬 and 鳥 are everywhere, but so are ネズミ and ウサギ and リス! The kanji not being common these days would explain kana generally being preferred, but katakana specifically…? I’ve seen someone say before that it’s like scientific names being italicized in English, but that only makes sense to me for specific species names, but general animal types are written in katakana as well. Although with some, especially the single-mora ones like カ (mosquito) and ガ (moth), I could see katakana being preferred over hiragana being so that they don’t blend in with the surrounding hiragana.

So “that’s just the way it’s done” is the best I’ve got for ya, sorry. If anyone knows more, I’d be interested as well.

20 Likes

Got a few more pages in on my lunch and am pretty happy with the amount of lookups per page I am doing with Re:Zero. I have been wanting to read this series for so long, and its so cool I am comfortable reading it (even with a few look ups). I think watching the anime and reading other light novels prepared me a lot for this series. The anime helped me the most but that was still a challenging show on some days (I was watching 5 episodes at a time roughly). My hope is this book will push me to that next level I have been hoping to reach reading wise. I want to have that confidence of getting a book that looks interesting and not fearing if I can comprehend it or not. It seems like this just might get me there.

19 Likes

January 16th
What did I read?: 魔女と猫の話
How much did I read?: 9 pages
(Started 1st Story)
How long did it take me?: 1 h

The next manga I will be reading is 魔女と猫の話 by 四宮しの!

It’s another short story collection, this time all about witches and their cats~ I love how the cats are drawn in this manga! They’re the perfect blend of realism and manga-style! When I was checking out the preview while figuring out whether to buy it or not, I looked at the title page and was instantly smitten!

Cute Cat Hidden Below

Look! How! Cute! And the cakes and candies look lovely too~

The first story so far is about the witch Suzu summoning her cat on her 13th birthday. While she was hoping for a pitch black, intelligent, kind cat like her grandmother’s, the one she ends up summoning is… this one:

Replies

Oh, that’s totally fine! Amazon Japan shipping can definitely get pretty crazy! And you still bought さめない街の喫茶店, which I’ll be getting around to reading at some point! :smiley:

Thank you to all of you for the congratulations! I think that reading alongside everyone and posting in this community have really helped motivate me to stay on track!

And congraultaions to all the other first manga/book achievers! Sorry I can’t mention you specifically, but there were so many (an excellent “problem” to have! :grin:), and I wouldn’t want to miss one of you. So generic group congratulations it is!

29 Likes

Got the 半落ち reading done today. Really loving the story, there’s already hints being dropped at multiple plot lines and I am here for it. Give me complicated relationships :heart_eyes:

Tomorrow I should hopefully have time for チュベローズ finally, and then Wednesday is all-day-travel-day so definitely time for it then. I’m somewhat dreading February as I’ll have 半落ち, この本を盗む者は (starting Feb 4), 七回死んだ男 and レベル7* all while traveling for work (which means limited free time after work officially ends as I must :sparkles: socialize :sparkles: ) :melting_face:

* @Belerith how do you feel about postponing that start date til ~Feb 20? :sweat_smile:

25 Likes

:spiral_calendar: Day 16: January 16th :snowboarder:

spacer:bust_in_silhouette: シャドーハウス Volume 4 (71% ➨ 76%)

👵🏻 ××でも魔法少女になれますか? Volume 1 (31% ➨ 39%)

Somehow or other, the villain turned out to not be as bad as he was made out to seem in the prior chapter. (I suspected as much based on some of his actions, but he had very questionable dialogue.) As with the first villain, he’s given an understandable and innocent reason to have become an evil demon baddie.

I sort of expected to make more reading progress over a third-day weekend…

26 Likes

:books: :snowflake: softlyraining’s snowy book stack :snowboarder: :open_book:

January 13th ・ January 14th ・ January 15th ・ January 16th

:red_square: 授乳 (29% → 31%)

The past several days have consisted of VERY tiny reads. Not ideal, but sometimes that’s how things go. Looking to get through bigger chunks by the end of the week. :crossed_fingers:

26 Likes

January 16 :snowflake: Home Post

Read some more 花子くん today! The last few chapters were a bit more dense both language-wise and plot-wise so it was somewhat slower going, but oh the drama :eyes:

25 Likes

Sure! I’ll also have more time after that date, so that would work out perfectly. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That would suit me too – I ordered the book from cdjapan on Dec 26th but they have still not shipped the order (I have just emailed their customer service to find out why…)

7 Likes

Finished the first Sub-chapter of Re:Zero 16. I’m glad they have the same chapter setup as 青ブタ so I can manage my time the same way.

Finished 2 chapters of volume 2 of Steel Ball Run. Really having fun reading it. But again it’s on the side of “shut off brain” fun. So I plan to read that after I finish a subchapter of Re:Zero.

17 Likes

Hehe, I’m a full-fledged durtle now! :durtle_cat:
strikes a pose, cape flutters in the wind behind me

You have no idea how much I laughed after reading the small text :joy:

16 Likes

January 17th

:snowman: Home post :snowflake:

Card Captor Sakura volume 6 – progress report
Yesterday:Continued up to page 158
Today: Continued up to page 175

Mizuki-sensei came to the rescue, Sakura got a new staff and now the trial is over with Yue recognising Sakura as his new master. However, the explanations keep coming even until last few pages of this volume, so I called it a day. I’m fine with finishing the volume tomorrow instead of today – I may even start a tiny bit of volume 7 tomorrow, who knows. :wink:

Replies

I’m glad that your current study plan is bearing fruit out despite being hefty and time-consuming – I hope it keeps being fruitful for a while. :slightly_smiling_face:
In a way, it’s retrocatively motivating for me to hear about other people and their study efforts coming to fruition.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Word or expression of the day:
預ける - (あずける) - to leave (in someone’s keeping), to put (in someone’s care); to put (someone) in charge of

Honourable mention(s)
認める - (みとめる) - to recognise; to deem, to assess; to approve; to admit, to accept

25 Likes

Hi @Twelvewishes

I’ve been following your progress and your comments. This is super cool that you take the time to write them (even if they’re not for me). It’s the first time I really create content that other people consume so I always a bit embarassed when I read them :sweat_smile:.

I have to say, providing a list of someone’s attributes may give me the momentary satisfaction of learning that ‘height’ is written as 身長, but it won’t help me actually learn these characters.

身長 is here for this momentary satisfaction. It’s not repeated afterwards but in the context it is transparent so why not use it ?

This one has a horribly garish red background, avert your eyes.

You’re actually not the first person making this type of comments about background colors. I’ll be more careful in the future. I just checked and it seems I can do it easily by adding some CSS.

Also I need to add the CSS pokemons are not from me. I have on my todo to write a ‘credits’ page.

9 Likes

:snowman_with_snow: :snowflake: January 16-17 :snowflake: :snowman_with_snow:
Home Post

BU$TAFELLOWS :moneybag:

I read nothing yesterday (Jan 16), jetlag took its toll. I meant to read after dinner but after watching videos for a little while after dinner, I grew exhausted in no time, and went to bed instead. I’m also hoping to use this time zone change/jetlaggy period to change my go to bed time and wake up time to earlier than before. I will definitely have to get used to starting my evening activities earlier if I want to do them.

Anyway, decided to read BU$TAFELLOWS early today (17th) and hoped I could finish chapter one, but the end of the chapter did not appear yet. Will see if I can find more time to read this VN, or if I’ll settle for (English) novel reading. I want chapter 1 finished today or tomorrow, but since I don’t know how much is left… Who knows? I read a good chunk today for sure.

Woop woop! :tada:

24 Likes

:open_book: :desktop_computer: :snowman_with_snow: :snowflake: January 16

I want to catch up with the BU$TAFELLOWS club so I’m prioritizing that over ユージニア for a bit. I feel like before I was better at reading several Japanese things in one day because I’d run out of stamina and want to change things up, but now that my stamina is better and I’m reading interesting things it’s kinda hard to stop reading one thing. Thus I read BU$TAFELLOWS for ~2h and then I figured I’d at least read a little ユージニア but it was already so late and I was so sleepy that soon I couldn’t understand anything I was reading so I stopped having read less than 1%. Hopefully next time I can balance them better.

25 Likes