📚📚 Read every day challenge - Winter 2023 ☃❄

Home Post

This week was book-finishing week, it seems :tada:

On Tuesday, I finished “World without End” (in English) - it took me 29.5 hours for 1200 pages, i.e. ~40 pages/h.

On Friday, I finished チュベローズで待てる AGE22 - it took me 17 hours for 200 pages, i.e. almost 12 pages/h.

On Sunday, I finished ユージニア - it took me almost 37 hours for 420 pages, i.e. 11 pages/h.

I’m happy with these results :grin:

Out of these three, ユージニア was clearly the most demanding, as not only the contents was mystery but also the writing was done in a most mysterious way, so that one never knows who is in any given chapter, and I had a very hard time figuring this out, and sometimes even how many people there were, also at which time it took place, who is talking to whom, what or whom they are referring to etc. It reminded me a lot of 雪国 to be honest, I had similar trouble figuring out the people and conversations there…
I’d say this book exceeded my language abilities. Or maybe it’s just that I am bad at handling these things in general. :woman_shrugging:

Plans for this week:

• Catch up with 半落ち
  • Continue with 1Q84? Or maybe I will focus on 半落ち this week and on 1Q84 next week?
  • Read チュベローズで待てる AGE32. I started the first chapter already but got a bit lost in the world-building (i.e. what happened in between) and was tired, so I stopped 2/3 in. I hope the topics will change a bit going forward.
  • Read another English book: “Eleanor of Aquitaine”. She was the mother of Richard Lionheart, and generally one of the most powerful women in Europe at the time. This is her biography, so it’s non-fiction, and the first chapter already showered me with historical and geographic details, and I’m not sure I can read this before sleep just like I did with “World without End” because I think I need to be more awake to take it in fully.

Do you mean Bookwalker? (Bookmeter doesn’t know about sales afaik :thinking:) In Bookwalker, if you put the book on your watchlist, you can easily see which ones are discounted at any given time (there are filter links at the top of the watchlist page). But it won’t notice you for any specific books, you just get the general “there is a sale going on for this and that type of books” etc.

27 Likes