📚📚 Read every day challenge - Winter 2023 ☃❄

My vacation that I thought would provide ample reading time did not. I read a ton on the plane to the US, and then spent 2 weeks rereading the same 4 pages because I didn’t have any time to myself (not a bad thing per se). The flight back I got a big chunk done, but going forward I now know realistically what I can and can’t do when traveling. Even just watching Netflix was a tough one. Luckily my family was really into Violet Evergarden, so while I couldn’t get reading in, I got my listening in.

TODAY, I got one sub chapter done in 青ブタ. My hope is to finish one more today, and just keep this pace for the next week or two and finish either by the weekend or some time next week. I finished Stone Ocean and binged Chainsaw man, so I am on a reading kick (which is naturally what happens after binging a series apparently xD).

Sorry for the long post, just haven’t been updating anything since getting back on a normal sleep/eating/work schedule. My routine was totally shattered by this trip, but I somehow managed to retain what I was learning before the trip, which is a relief.

27 Likes

January 10 :snowflake: Home Post

In classic fashion, finishing my previous project threw me for an absolute loop as to what to read next :joy: So I did a little bit of everything today. I started ノッキンオン・ロックドドア in keeping with my recent mystery theme, and I’m sure it’s doable but I always forget how rough starting a new book is :sweat_smile: so I didn’t get very far before I decided to play 13 Sentinels instead, where I was of course immediately dropped in the middle of an unprecedented amount of sci-fi mech jargon :joy: As such I only played that one scene before I was mentally over it, and then I finally went back to the バディミッションBOND drama cd I’ve been working on! It’s been a while lmao; I got through one more track with my whole listen-only-first then follow along with the scenario method and it was a good time as always.

Then I finally got somewhere and decided to fill my currently empty manga slot with some 地縛少年花子くん! I watched the anime/read some of the manga in English ages ago and I remember really liking it, so I thought it’d be a fun read and it definitely is. I love a manga with good art and it definitely delivers, it has great aesthetics and even the panel layouts are cool :laughing: So yeah I read most of the first volume today, who knows what I’ll end up doing tomorrow but I certainly have options :eyes:

Replies!

Haha thank you!! :blush:

Thank you! I really don’t know where it came from lmao, it absolutely wrecked my brain but I had to know :laughing:

Same, it’s especially rough when it’s a standalone story, but thankfully 山猫 has plenty more to offer so I can placate myself with that knowledge :joy: It’s a matter of time! Not a book exactly but I suspect BU$TAFELLOWS will feel that way when we eventually get that far :sweat_smile:

Thank you!! I have no idea how I pulled it off haha, at what cost :joy: feels powerful though!

26 Likes

Finished my last sub-chapter for the day. I am happy I am not doing an audiobook this time because I can skip the needless long pauses and don’t have to desperately search for the part am supposed to be on but somehow lost track of.

Being caught up I feel less pressure to read, so I am able to just kind of consume it the way I want and when I finish the book, I will be done with the series until the next entry. So I can focus on other book series.

24 Likes

Home Post

Day 10 Progress:
お隣の天使様 五冊 - 93.73% → 95.06%

Actually just a nominal reading day which is pretty sad because I wanted to finish the book… oh well.

Word of the Day: いわし - pilchard, sardine. Nothing particularly special about this one but you get a keen idea of how important fishing was to Japan based on the number of very specific fish kanji out there…

26 Likes

:open_book: :desktop_computer: :snowman_with_snow: :snowflake: January 10

I read some more ユージニア (29% → 32%) and played BU$TAFELLOWS for half an hour.

29 Likes

Home post

1 月 11 日
コナの大冒険 第23話 :black_cat:

Rushed through reading today but I still did it even with my brain barely functioning… Nothing much happened this episode anyway. Just running through the 自然界 with more 鹿.

God this week’s been tough and it’s only Wednesday…

26 Likes

Hello everyone. I would like to join, even though I’m late. Actually I am not even late with reading, I have read every day since around christmas. Just late with joining here. I started to read Harry Potter, where I had a mini edition of the first half of the first book laying around for a while. Even around two months ago it was just to overwhelming just looking at the first page. But now it seems to be very doable for me do read it. Of course it helps that I still know a bit how the story goes…I also got the audio book and sometimes I read along while listening, which is also great help. Right now progress is around 63 %

Jan
02 03 04 05 06 07 08
09 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Feb
01 02 03 04 05
06 07 08 09 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28

Finished Books:
13.02.: Harry Potter Book 1

Edit:
Oh and see what just arrived. I guess I’ll be reading a bit longer than the 2 months ':slight_smile:

37 Likes

Funny, 鰯 also occurred at my reading yesterday (but in hiragana only), as Harry and Ron eat these Beans that can taste like anything in the Hogwarts train.

14 Likes

:spiral_calendar: Day 10: January 10th :scarf:

spacer:sun_with_face: 夢みる太陽 Volume 3 (78% ➨ 100%)

28 Likes

January 11th

:snowman: Home post :snowflake:

Aria: the masterpiece volume 3 – progress report
Yesterday: Continued up to page 73, finished chapter 22.
Today: Continued up to page 82.

Well, I wanted to try reading a NHK easy news article today but upon seeing the topics (e.g. bird flu?, price increases? or COVID :unamused:) of the last few days, I decided against it.
I clicked on another article that mentioned something along the lines of a bunny being appointed police chairman in honour of the year of the bunny or something, only to notice that it was tough to read and understand – and that the article belonged to the ‘regular’ NHK news. Long story short, today’s attempt at reading news was a failure. I’ll probably just look at the latest articles on NHK easy here and there until I find one whose topic I can stomach.

Therefore, I went back to Aria but since I had even less time to dedicate to reading, I didn’t get that far.

Hahaha, I may as well turn this into my mental image of you in regards to any (coming) reading challenges. :joy:

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Word or expression of the day:
肌触り - (はだざわり) - the touch of, feel of, texture​

30 Likes

home post

11th jan

and i’ve finished 蟲師 vol 1! except the 後書 but it’s long and handwritten and my brain doesn’t have it in me rn. this chapter actually related to the first, which i wasn’t expecting, and it gave the whole volume a nice circular feeling. on the whole even though lookups were occasionally tough with this one i had a great time with it and i’m really looking forward to the next volumes! i might go back to kiki for the rest of the week, it’s sitting at 50% finished and it’s kind of weighing on me ngl

words that stuck out to me: 沼 (ぬま, swamp, bog) just cos it was in there A Lot, 成れの果て (なれのはて, the mere shadow of one’s former self), and the ‘what is that’ kanji of the day 蠱 (まじ)

27 Likes

Jan 11, Wed of Week 3 of Winter Q1 2023 :snowman::snowflake:

• SPY x FAMILY Vol.5 Ch.25

• うたわれるもの

Interesting words
  • ちょっくら = a little while. Like ちょっと.
  • スンゲー = すげぇ~ = (すご)
  • やたら = randomly. Kanji form is 矢鱈(やたら), but perhaps as bad as 出鱈目(でたらめ) or 無理矢理(むりやり).
  • (とうと)ぶ = to value. Verb form of (とうと)い.
  • 雄々(おお)しい = valiantly; courageously
  • 超絶(ちょうぜつ)~ = extremely. Similar to just (ちょう)~.
  • 拙速(せっそく) = slipshod
  • 月並(つきな)み = cliched
  • 着目(ちゃくもく) = giving one’s attention
  • 看過(かんか) = disregard
  • 協調(きょうちょう) = cooperation with other people
  • 理知的(りちてき) = intelligent (な-adj). The noun is 理知(りち).
  • 図工(ずこう) = drawing and manual arts
  • 気品(きひん) = dignity; grace
  • 無残(むざん) = cruel; merciless = 無惨(むざん). Using “remainder” Kanji confuses me a little.
  • 内申点(ないしんてん) = academic results. The results in 内申書(ないしんしょ).
  • 出題範囲(しゅつだいはんい) = the range exams covers. 出題(しゅつだい) is creating up of an exam (school exam / test).

SFX

• にまにま
29 Likes

:snowflake: :red_gift_envelope: 1月11日 :red_gift_envelope: :snowflake: (Home Post Link)

Read:

• ホリミヤ ch 64, 65, 66 - had our new years shrine visit, almost on time!
  • マジーク・ツリーハウス pg 81 → 86
Good Words

ホリミヤ
問「とい」ー problem question
訳「やく」ー translation
即答「そくとう」ー immediate reply
利益「りえき」ー profit, gains ( おみくじ )
修羅場「しゅらば」ー scene of carnage
揉む「もむ」ー to argue, to have a heated discussion
面積「めんせき」ー area (measurement)
愚か「おろか」ー foolish, stupid
小芝居「こしばい」ー skit, short acted scene
さっぱり ー feeling refreshed

マジーク・ツリーハウス
騎士「きし」ー knight
ヒヒーン ー neigh, whinny
やがて ー before long, shortly
湿っぽい「しめっぱい」ー damp, humid
霧「きり」ー fog, mist
覗く「のぞく」ー to take a quick look at

29 Likes

January 11th progress update :snowflake:
Home Post

Reading よつばと! Vol. 1

P. 114 → P. 131
Really long and tiring day so did not read much. This chapter is also fairly harder for me to understand than the previous ones, had to look up quite a lot of words.

However, @ChristopherFritz recommending https://ichi.moe/ helped a lot so thanks again!

26 Likes

:snowflake: Day 11, 11th of January :snowflake:

:open_book: Back to my Home Post

Read more Kiki. Apparently I was wrong last time and it wasn’t Kiki’s father that teased her for flying into trees, but all the villagers exchanging looks and chuckling about how she tripped again.

Briefly tripped over a か at the end of a sentence until I remembered it might just be a “shall we?”

Let’s do a little summary so I can check my understanding later.

Kiki, über die Gerüchte erzählt wird, ist auch ungewöhnlich. Obwohl sie klein ist kann sie die Klocken läuten, die hoch auf den Baumwipfel sitzen.

Sie lebt in einem Haus östlich vom Stadtrand, und es steht ein grünes Schild mit der Aufschrift “verkaufe Schupfenmedizin” davor.

Wenn man durchs Tor geht, sieht man einen großen Garten und ein einstöckiges Haus.

The next sentences are either super long or too hard for me right now, so I’m just gonna see if I have a rough idea what’s going on instead of going into detail.

Im Garten (irgendwas mit vielen verschiedenen Planzen) (irgendwas mit üblen Geruch).

(blabla) In der Küche ist ein großer Kupfertopf. (blabla)

…aaand I’m out. Still too hard, gotta go through more vocab and grammar.

27 Likes
Hearing a clang of bells often reminds me of this line from the animated movie.

May be a spoiler for those who haven’t seen the movie or read far enough in the book, but this takes place on the night Kiki leaves home:

13 Likes

January 11th (Day 11) :snowflake: :cat2:

Home post :books:

Today I continued reading チュベローズで待ってる AGE22 - chapters 8, 9, and 10.

At this pace I could finish the book by Sunday, though who knows if I can keep this up. I wasn’t expecting myself to read this much daily - perhaps it’s peer pressure working its magic :smile: Or maybe it’s the fact that I can’t keep myself from peeking under the spoiler tags in the discussion - and once I’ve read the spoilers I just can’t help but go see for myself.

26 Likes

:raccoon: :books: The Tanuki Kotatsu Reading Den :snowflake: :raccoon:

January 11th
新書太閣記 progress: 01.28% // Volume I: 14.79% :hourglass:

Got a little busy today so didn’t have a huge amount of time to read.

Words found under the kotatsu

馴々しい「なれなれしい」ー Over-familiar
天真爛漫「てんしんらんまん」ー Naivete; simplicity; innocence
粗相「そそう」ー Carelessness; blunder

Character Name List

for easy referencing later, because these will take some remembering
Also probably some spoilers, but this is a historic novel, so can spoilers really exist for things that have (for the most part) actually happened :thinking:

Main
Hideyoshi: 豊臣秀吉「とよとみ ひでよし」
– – – Childhood name: 日吉「ひよし」
– – – Childhood nickname: 猿「さる」

Volume I Characters
日吉「ひよし」- Hideyoshi (as child)
Nickname: 猿「さる」

Friends
仁王「におう」- Big kid friend
於福「おふく」- Timid kid friend

Family
木下弥右衛門「きのした やえもん」- Father
筑阿弥「ちくあみ」ー Step-father
大政所「おおまんどころ」// also お奈加「おなか」ー Mother
おつみ - Older sister
加藤清正「かとう きよまさ」// also 弾正「だんじょう」- Ojisan (only distantly related)
– Married to: おえつ

Others
織田信秀「おだ のぶひで」- Daimyo (Foreshadowing drum noises)
– 織田与三郎「おだ よさぶろう」- Younger brother
今川義元「いまがわ よしもと」- Daimyo

五郎大夫 「ごろ だゆう」// 祥瑞「しょうずい」(Goro’s Chinese name)
– Servant of Goro: 捨次郎「すてじろう」
– Mother of Goro’s child: 梨琴「りきん」
– Rikin’s & Goro’s child: 楊景福「ようけいふく」

Historical People
  • 阿倍仲麻呂「あべ の なかまろ」ー Japanese scholar & poet (around 700AD)

• 白楽天「はく きょい」ー Late 700s Chinese poet (Bai Juyi / Bo Juyi) also known as: 白楽天「はく らくてん」in Japan.

• 道元「どうげん」(or 道元禅師「どうげん ぜんじ」ー Japanese Buddhist Priest, writer & poet (Early to mid 1200s) (also known as 栄西禅師「えいさい ぜんじ」)

• 空海「くうかい」ー The one and only Kukai or Kobo Daishi - a Buddhist monk. Posthumously given the title of: 弘法大師「こうぼう だいし」born as: 佐伯 眞魚「さえき の まお」(late 700s to early 800s)

25 Likes

:snowflake: :snowman: Home Post :snowman: :snowflake:

January 10th and 11th.

What: NHK easy news (yesterday) and チーズスイートホーム(1)today.
Pages: 2 articles yesterday and 45 pages today.
Time: 10 minutes yesterday, 15 minutes today.

I’m so tired and annoyed by the fact that I’m tired, lol. Yesterday I didn’t have time to update, as I went to the pool straight after work and dinner. Today I had to work late so I haven’t had time for any substantial reading. I wanted to play Ni no Kuni but the thought of booting up my computer and spending even a single second more in an office chair… GoodBYE. So then I remembered I have チーズスイートホーム in my backlog somehow. It’s such an easy and comfortable read, exactly what I needed today. :melting_face:

Just a little illustration I liked

This is 100 % my cat. He does not care about any of the toys I buy him. Give him a plastic bag? He’s happy for hours.

I asked my boss about the Japanese class and she told me to go ahead and attend! The first course was today, and even though it’s very much Japanese for beginners, I enjoyed it a lot. I’ve been using Norwegian sounds and words to make mnemonics for Wanikani for ages, and it was really nice to have a teacher that teaches Japanese for Norwegian students. I’m fluent in English, but sometimes I wish there were resources for those of us with different first languages.

Anyway, I had a great time and plan on attending next week as well!!

29 Likes

Woke up early and read the first sub chapter of the day. I might finish the second one kind of early. The goal is to get to chapter 3 today. So when I get there I’ll probably just be done for the day.

24 Likes