📚📚 Read every day challenge - Winter 2023 ☃❄

Summary post

Finished translating Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling’s イッテンヨン show, which is their former biggest show of the year! It is now perhaps a distant fourth in the rankings, though it still has quite a bit of charm.

Here’s a photo from the show. This was from the annual Shoko Nakajima vs Hyper Misao match, which is between two people who are regular tag partners, and which always has some sort of wild stipulation, haha, and frequently involves all kinds of nonsense, including ladders and kaiju toys.

This year, they suspended three stuffed bunnies from a rope, which the wrestlers had to retrieve in order to win the match, but the catch was that only one of them granted the win, and the other two added rule changes to the match that took place immediately. This photo illustrates one of the rule changes, which added an army of rabbits with plastic mallets who would run up and attack the wrestlers whenever they went outside the ring.

Here’s a video clip of it. It’s one of the funniest things I think I’ve ever seen in wrestling, haha.

Here’s a bonus photo from the show just because I thought this submission was so dang cool (despite what it may seem from the photos I share here, TJPW actually does have, like, actual wrestling on their shows :joy_cat:). Trish Adora just challenged current International champ Miu Watanabe for her belt:

I was proud of myself for doing pretty well on this show translation! I only made a few mistakes. One highlight from the post-match comments was Miu trying to demonstrate that she was working hard on her English by saying “my fight”, but when she was asked to repeat it, she said “my ganbaru” instead, and when the interviewer pointed out that 頑張る isn’t English, her excuse was that she was “ジャパニーズを広げて”, haha.

TJPW is gearing up for Yuka Sakazaki vs Mizuki next (well, the match isn’t until March haha), which is my favorite feud the company has ever done, so I’m really looking forward to translating all the stuff for that, going forward. I love it when wrestlers who love each other have to fight each other… :smiling_face_with_tear:

I have a pretty big translation workload on my plate right now, though, because just a few days after イッテンヨン, they did two VOD shows right in a row (which are just about to be uploaded to the streaming site), which I am going to try my best to translate as soon as possible, though I doubt I’m finishing both by the next live show :sweat_smile:.

28 Likes