Jan 7, Sat of Week 2 of Winter Q1 2023
- はたらく細胞 Black Vol.2 Ch.9-10 (end volume)
I thought the 身体 was going to end.
- ドヤ顔 = self-satisfied look
- 刺々しい = biting (words). Like a barb (棘).
- 浮上 = rising to the surface. ふ is an On reading of barely introduced of 浮く (Level 30).
- 非凡 = extraordinary
- 凌駕 = surpassing; outdoing
- 牽制 = keeping in check
- まとめ役 = manager; coordinator; consensus builder. Full Kanji form is 纏め役.
- 彩色 = coloring
- 有給 = paid holiday
- 代休 = compensatory holiday
- 破綻 = breakdown; bankruptcy. The latter Kanji is also in 綻びる (which I had confused with 滅びる).
- 好転 = changing for the better. Probably like 改善. Then, I learned about 暗転.
- 三尖弁 = tricuspid valve. For mitral, 二尖弁 is OK, but 僧帽弁 seems to be more common.
心室細動 = ventricular fibrillation. 心室 is ventricle.
- A counterpart is 心房細動, where 心房 is atrium.
- 細動 is fibrillation (fine movements?) So, 除細動器 = defibrillator.
- 開発者 = developer (of a computer application / game)
- 常在菌 = normal flora
- 家督 = heir; inheritance / family estate
- 子煩悩 = doting one’s children. 煩悩 is just worldly desires. (In contrast with Mandarin = worries)
- 分不相応 = beyond one’s position
- 本末転倒 = pulling the cart before the horse. Probably, tip (末) before the main body (本).
- 立ち往生 = brought to a standstill (a deadlock). 往生 is passing to afterlife; so probably will die anyway…
- 質実剛健 = simplicity and fortitude (strong mind).
- 爪に火をともす = to light a fire on one’s fingernails; to lead a stingy life
- 命に別状はない = life is not in danger; not life-threatening. 別条 is acceptable too, and suggested by IME; while the former is in context.
- コクコク = nod
- ripped open
- palanquin horse
- harness; rein
- 牽制, 牽引, 牽牛星
凌 (Level 58)
- 凌駕, 凌雲
- 凌ぐ (in Wanikani)
浮 (Level 30)
- 浮浪者 (in Wanikani)
- 浮上, 浮遊, 浮力, 浮沈