๐Ÿ“š๐Ÿ“š Read every day challenge - Winter 2023 โ˜ƒโ„

:snowflake: :red_gift_envelope: ๏ผ‘ๆœˆ๏ผ“ๆ—ฅ :red_gift_envelope: :snowflake: (Home Post Link)

Read:

• ใƒ›ใƒชใƒŸใƒค 51 - reading my first ไฝ“่‚ฒ็ฅญ arc in japanese :face_holding_back_tears: (it will not be the last)
  • ใƒžใ‚ธใƒผใ‚ฏใƒปใƒ„ใƒชใƒผใƒใ‚ฆใ‚น chapter 3 - GOD having yomichan working makes this so much smoother

I may read more later but I woke up super early and really need a nap first

Round 2:

• ใƒ›ใƒชใƒŸใƒค 52, 53
Open at your own risk for some cursed kanji handwriting

ahโ€ฆ yesโ€ฆ โ€œ่ฅฟโ€โ€ฆ absolutely :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Good Words

ใƒ›ใƒชใƒŸใƒค
ๆญฃใ€…ๅ ‚ใ€…ใ€Œใ›ใ„ใ›ใ„ใฉใ†ใฉใ†ใ€ใƒผ fair and square
่ฃๅˆ‡ใ‚Šใ€Œใ†ใ‚‰ใŽใ‚Šใ€ใƒผ treachery, betrayal
ๆฐ—่ฟซใ€Œใใฏใใ€ใƒผ spirit, drive, vigor
็†ไธๅฐฝใ€Œใ‚Šใตใ˜ใ‚“ใ€ใƒผ outrageous, absurd, unreasonable
ๅฟœๆดใ€ŒใŠใ†ใˆใ‚“ใ€ใƒผ cheering, rooting (for)
ๆ€ชใ—ใ„ใ€Œใ‚ใ‚„ใ—ใ„ใ€ใƒผ suspicious
็›ฎใคใถใ—ใ€Œใ‚ใคใถใ—ใ€ใƒผ throwing sand/rocks in someoneโ€™s eyes, poking someoneโ€™s eyes out

ใƒžใ‚ธใƒผใ‚ฏใƒปใƒ„ใƒชใƒผใƒใ‚ฆใ‚น
ๅ›ณใ‹ใ‚“ใ€Œใšใ‹ใ‚“ใ€ใƒผ picture book
ใ‚†ใ†ใ‚†ใ† ใƒผ leisurely
ใ‚ทใƒ€ ใƒผ fern
่ˆžใ„้™ใ‚Šใ‚‹ใ€Œใพใ„ใŠใ‚Šใ‚‹ใ€ใƒผ to swoop down
็™ฝไบœ็ด€ใ€Œใฏใใ‚ใใ€ใƒผ cretaceous period
็ตถๆป…ใ€Œใœใคใ‚ใคใ€ใƒผ extinction

The first chapter of ใ‚ˆใคใฐใจ๏ผ is definitely one of the harder ones because of all the moving terminology and adults talking to each other, but donโ€™t let that discourage you! The chapters do get a lot easier after that for a while (occasionally, when there are chapters with mostly adults talking it gets a little harder again, but most of the chapters are definitely focused on the kids). Looking at vol 1, if youโ€™re through page 25 I think youโ€™re definitely done with the roughest parts.

Enjoy!

Congrats on passing! (iโ€™ll count it :tada:)

26 Likes

Better late than never :+1: I had every intention of joining this thread before the new year and then I forgot lol. Hopefully that isnโ€™t an indication of how this reading challenge is going to go for me. I need to find some easily accessible reading content because my biggest challenge is becoming demotivated trying to find things online.

Anyway, hereโ€™s to a Japanese-reading-filled winter! Cozy up ~ :coffee: :open_book: :snowflake:

Jan
ๆœˆ ็ซ ๆฐด ๆœจ ้‡‘ ๅœŸ ๆ—ฅ
02 03 04 05 06 07 08
09 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Feb
ๆœˆ ็ซ ๆฐด ๆœจ ้‡‘ ๅœŸ ๆ—ฅ
01 02 03 04 05
06 07 08 09 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28
32 Likes

The fun thing about that word is that itโ€™s now been borrowed into English as โ€œpetty knifeโ€ to refer specifically to this kind of small Japanese style knifeโ€ฆ (I donโ€™t know if ใƒšใƒ†ใ‚ฃใƒŠใ‚คใƒ• is a technical cheffy word in Japanese in the way that โ€˜petty knifeโ€™ or โ€˜paring knifeโ€™ is and โ€˜kitchen knifeโ€™ isnโ€™t.)

20 Likes

:raccoon: :books: The Tanuki Kotatsu Reading Den :snowflake: :raccoon:

January 3rd
ๆ–ฐๆ›ธๅคช้–ฃ่จ˜ progress: 00.12% // Volume I: 01.44% :mountain:

I am so glad for furigana. So many place names. I forgot how hard it is to start a new book and you get bombarded with piles of new vocab until you get used to the authorโ€™s vocab usage.

Words found under the kotatsu

้šฃ้‚ฆใ€Œใ‚Šใ‚“ใฝใ†ใ€ใƒผ Neighbouring country
ๅ›ฝๅทใ€Œใ“ใใ”ใ†ใ€ใƒผ Name of a country
ๅ›ฝ้‹ใ€Œใ“ใใ†ใ‚“ใ€ใƒผ National fortunes; destiny of a country
้ง†ใ‚‰ใ‚Œใ‚‹ใ€Œใ‹ใ‚‰ใ‚Œใ‚‹ใ€ใƒผ To be driven byโ€ฆ (emotions / impulse / feelings); to be seized by; to be stricken with; to be spurred on by; to succumb to
ๆฐ—้ฃใ„ใ€Œใใฅใ‹ใ„ใ€ใƒผ Consideration; concern; worry
ๆ—ฆ้‚ฃๆง˜ใ€Œใ ใ‚“ใชใ•ใพใ€ใƒผ Husband (honorific); master (of a house/shop etc.)
่‡ฅๅบŠใ€Œใตใ—ใฉใ€ใƒผ Bedroom; bedchamber (seems to use ่‡ฅๆ‰€ now)
ๆฆปใ€Œใƒˆใƒณใ€ใƒผ Ceramic bench
ๅฎตใ€Œใ‚ˆใ„ใ€ใƒผ Evening; early hours of the night
็ชฏๆฅญใ€Œใ‚ˆใ†ใŽใ‚‡ใ†ใ€ใƒผ Ceramics; ceramic industry
ๅฎ˜็ชฏใ€Œใ‹ใ‚“ใ‚ˆใ†ใ€ใƒผ (Government owned) porcelain furnace // with ็ชฏใ€Œใ‹ใพใ€meaning: kiln; furnace; stove
้™„้šใ€Œใตใšใ„ใ€ใƒผ being accompanied by; being collateral with
ๆฎท่ณ‘ใ€Œใ„ใ‚“ใ—ใ‚“ใ€ใƒผ Prosperity
่พ›่‹ฆใ€Œใ—ใ‚“ใใ€ใƒผ Hardship; toil

Places in China & Dynasties
ๆšๅญๆฑŸใ€Œใ‚ˆใ†ใ™ใ“ใ†ใ€ใƒผ Yangtze river (also: ้•ทๆฑŸใ€Œใกใ‚‡ใ†ใ“ใ†ใ€)
ๆฑŸ่ฅฟ็œใ€Œใ“ใ†ใ›ใ„ใ—ใ‚‡ใ†ใ€ใƒผ Jiangxi Province
้ฅ’ๅทžใ€Œใ˜ใ‚‡ใ†ใ—ใ‚…ใ†ใ€ใƒผ Raozhou (old prefecture, now part of Poyang county (in Jiangxi))
ๅ”ใ€Œใ‹ใ‚‰ใ€ใƒผ China (also used to sometimes refer to other neighbouring countries of that area) (Archaism) // also: ใ€Œใจใ†ใ€ใƒผ the Tang dynasty (618-907)
ๅฎ‹ใ€Œใใ†ใ€ใƒผ Song dynasty
ๅปฌๅฑฑใ€Œใ‚‹ใ–ใ‚“ใ€ใƒผ Mt. Lushan

Character Kanji-Name List
for easy referencing later, because these will take some remembering

|| P E O P L E ||
Main
Hideyoshi: ่ฑŠ่‡ฃ็ง€ๅ‰ใ€Œใจใ‚ˆใจใฟ ใฒใงใ‚ˆใ—ใ€// ่ฑŠๅคช้–คใ€Œใปใ†ใŸใ„ใ“ใ†ใ€

Side?
ไบ”้ƒŽๅคงๅคซ ใ€Œใ”ใ‚ ใ ใ‚†ใ†ใ€
ๆจๆฌก้ƒŽใ€Œใ™ใฆใ˜ใ‚ใ†ใ€
ๆขจ็ดใ€Œใ‚Šใใ‚“ใ€

Historical People
้˜ฟๅ€ไปฒ้บปๅ‘‚ใ€Œใ‚ใน ใฎ ใชใ‹ใพใ‚ใ€ใƒผ Japanese scholar & poet (around 700AD)

27 Likes

ใ”ใ‚ or ใ”ใ‚ใ† ? IME ้ƒŽ in names usually comes out as ใ‚ใ†.

11 Likes

Jan 3, Tue of Week 2 of Winter Q1 2023 :snowman::snowflake:

• ใฏใŸใ‚‰ใ็ดฐ่ƒž Black Vol.2 Ch.6 (start volume)

It appears that I glide pretty well with Kanji. Cruel nature makes it interesting so far.

• ใ†ใŸใ‚ใ‚Œใ‚‹ใ‚‚ใฎ
Interesting words
  • ใŠใ™ใพใ— = composed and proper. From ใŠๆพ„(ใ™)ใพใ— = clear
  • ใพใฉใ‚ใฃใ“ใ—ใ„ = sluggish; slow. From ้–“ๆ€ (ใพใ ใ‚‹)ใฃใ“ใ„.
  • ใŠใฉใ‘ใ‚‹ = to crack a joke. Also ๆˆฏ(ใŠใฉ)ใ‘ใ‚‹. (Just how many Kun readings does this Kanji have? Also, this one is unlisted.)
  • ๅ’Ž(ใจใŒ) = fault; blame; offense. I only have see ๅ’Ž(ใจใŒ)ใ‚ใ‚‹ before.
  • ็ชถ(ใ‚„ใค)ใ‚Œใ‚‹ = to become emaciated. Actually I saw this Kanji very early on (in Tae Kim?) but long time no see.
  • ๆ„š็—ด(ใใก)ใ‚‹ = to complain. ๆ„š็—ด(ใใก) getting conjugated confuses me a little.
  • ๅˆ‡(ใ)ใ‚Œใ‚‹ = to be sharp-minded. Also the same ใ‚ญใƒฌใ‚‹ = to snap; to get mad.
    • ้ ญ(ใ‚ใŸใพ)ใŒๅˆ‡(ใ)ใ‚Œใ‚‹
    • ๆฉŸ่ปข(ใใฆใ‚“)ใŒๅˆฉ(ใ)ใ
  • ่ฌŽ(ใชใž)ใ‚ใ„ใŸ = enigmatic. From ่ฌŽ(ใชใž)ใ‚ใ = to be enigmatic
  • ๅ‹ง(ใ™ใ™)ใ‚ใ‚‹ = to encourage; to urge. Compare ่–ฆ(ใ™ใ™)ใ‚ใ‚‹ = to recommend. (The former can also be, to recommend.)
  • ่‡†(ใŠใ)ใ™ใ‚‹ = to be hesitant; to be timid. The Kanji from ่‡†็—…(ใŠใใณใ‚‡ใ†).
  • ไปฐ(ใฎ)ใ‘ๅ(ใž)ใ‚‹ = to be taken aback; to bend backwards
  • ่บซ(ใฟ)ใซไฝ™(ใ‚ใพ)ใ‚‹ = to be more than one deserves
  • ็›ด(ใŸใ )ใกใซ = at once. Without ใก would be either ็›ด(ใ˜ใ‹)ใซ or ็›ด(ใ˜ใ)ใซ.
  • ใŠ่Œถ่ซ‹(ใกใ‚ƒใ†)ใ‘ = snack served with tea
  • ๅฌ‰ใ€…(ใใ) = joyfully
  • ไบ‹ๆฌ (ใ“ใจใ‹)ใ‹ใชใ„ = having plenty
  • ๆฏๆŠœ(ใ„ใใฌ)ใ = taking a breather
  • ้ป„่‰ฒ(ใใ„ใ‚)ใ„ๅฃฐ(ใ“ใˆ) = a sharp squeaky voice, like of a child or a girl = ใใ„ใใ„ๅฃฐ(ใ”ใˆ)
  • ไธ€็žฅ(ใ„ใกในใค) = a glance. Somehow, I continue to forget the reading, and no Furigana.
  • ๆšขๆฐ—(ใฎใ‚“ใ) = carefree = ๅ‘‘ๆฐ—(ใฎใ‚“ใ). The Kanji is from ๆตๆšข(ใ‚Šใ‚…ใ†ใกใ‚‡ใ†).
  • ่ชฟๅบฆๅ“(ใกใ‚‡ใ†ใฉใฒใ‚“) = furnishings
  • ่ง’่ณช(ใ‹ใใ—ใค) = keratin = composition of ่ง’(ใคใฎ).
  • ไธ่ก›็”Ÿ(ใตใˆใ„ใ›ใ„) = unsanitary conditions
  • ็™ฝ็™ฌ(ใฏใใ›ใ‚“) = ringworm; tinea. Inside the second Kanji is ๆ–ฐ้ฎฎ(ใ—ใ‚“ใ›ใ‚“), I donโ€™t know why. ่ตค่ก€็ƒ(ใ›ใฃใ‘ใฃใใ‚…ใ†) said ้›‘้ญš(ใ–ใ“).
    • Depending on the location, can be ๆฐด่™ซ(ใฟใšใ‚€ใ—), ย  ย  ็”ฐ่™ซ(ใŸใ‚€ใ—), ย  ย  ้™ฐ้‡‘(ใ„ใ‚“ใใ‚“), ย  ย  ็™ฝ้›ฒ(ใ—ใ‚‰ใใ‚‚) ย  (supposed to be ็™ฝ็™ฌ(ใ—ใ‚‰ใใ‚‚) ?, but the manga put in the former)
  • ็œŸ่Œ(ใ—ใ‚“ใใ‚“) = true fungus. Also, ่Œ้กž(ใใ‚“ใ‚‹ใ„) = fungi, but ่Œ(ใใ‚“) can be both bacteria and fungi.
  • ๆฝฐ็˜(ใ‹ใ„ใ‚ˆใ†) = ulcer. ่ƒƒๆฝฐ็˜(ใ„ใ‹ใ„ใ‚ˆใ†) = stomach ulcer = ่ƒƒ(ใ„)ใฎๆฝฐ็˜(ใ‹ใ„ใ‚ˆใ†).
  • ้›ๅญ—ๆฆ(ใŒใ‚“ใ˜ใŒใ‚‰)ใ‚ = being bound hand and foot. Being bound (็ตก(ใ‹ใ‚‰)ใ‚€) in a group of wild geese (้›(ใŒใ‚“)).
  • ็ฏ€็ฉด(ใตใ—ใ‚ใช) = bad eyes (canโ€™t see well) / a hole in a thin board
  • ๅ“ๆ€งไธ‹ๅŠฃ(ใฒใ‚“ใ›ใ„ใ’ใ‚Œใค) = of low character
  • ่‹ฆๆฅฝ(ใใ‚‰ใ)ใ‚’ๅ…ฑ(ใจใ‚‚)ใซใ™ใ‚‹ = to share joys and sorrows with
  • ่จ€(ใ„)ใ„ใŒใ‹ใ‚Šใ‚’ใคใ‘ใ‚‹ = to accuse someone falsely

SFX

• ใ‚ฎใƒˆใ‚ฎใƒˆ = greasy
  • ใƒ“ใ‚ทใƒƒใจ = cleanly; sternly; flatly

Kanji

• ็™ฌ(ใ‚ปใƒณ)

• ringworm; tinea
    • ใ‚ปใƒณ
      • ็™ฝ็™ฌ่Œ(ใฏใใ›ใ‚“ใใ‚“), ย  ย  ็šฎ็™ฌ(ใฒใœใ‚“), ย  ย  ้ญš้ฑ—็™ฌ(ใŽใ‚‡ใ‚Šใ‚“ใ›ใ‚“)
  • ๆฝฐ(ใ‚ซใ‚ค)

• crush
    • ใ‚ซใ‚ค ย  (ๅฃŠ(ใ‚ซใ‚ค))
      • ๆฝฐ็˜(ใ‹ใ„ใ‚ˆใ†), ย  ย  ่ƒƒๆฝฐ็˜(ใ„ใ‹ใ„ใ‚ˆใ†)
      • ๆฝฐ่ตฐ(ใ‹ใ„ใใ†)
    • ๆฝฐ(ใคใถ)ใ™
      • ๆฝฐ(ใคใถ)ใ‚Œใ‚‹, ย  ย  ่ธ(ใต)ใฟๆฝฐ(ใคใถ)ใ™, ย  ย  ๆš‡ๆฝฐ(ใฒใพใคใถ)ใ—
    • ๆฝฐ(ใคใ„)ใˆใ‚‹
20 Likes

I thought itโ€™d be ใ‚ใ† but the furigana given is just ใ‚

goro

11 Likes

I decided to try digging into this a little bit today, and discovered that this phrase itself is based on an older phrase ไบŒๅ…ญๆ™‚ไธญ, which also meant around the clock (a full day). I was like โ€œthereโ€™s no way this makes any sense unless japan used to have some really messed up clocks that no one has told me about.โ€

Japan had some really messed up clocks that no one had told me about. A full day was divided in to 12 โ€œhoursโ€, 6 day and 6 night (hence the 2x6 = full day), but the length of those hours was based on the actual length of the day/night periods. So in the winter, the 6 night hours were longer, and the 6 day hours were shorter, and reverse in the summer. (Edit for clarification: this time system existed before the clocks, they clocks were made in a super funky way to try to capture the existing dominant way of measuring time in tokugawa/edo japan, but it was still 2x6 = one full day)

During the meiji restoration (at least, according to jp wiktionary ๅ››ๅ…ญๆ™‚ไธญ - ใ‚ฆใ‚ฃใ‚ฏใ‚ทใƒงใƒŠใƒชใƒผๆ—ฅๆœฌ่ชž็‰ˆ ), this existing expression was altered to make it make a little bit more sense with a Western 24 hour day

29 Likes

day 3 :dragon:
home post

Read: Yotsubato!

Progress: 25/224 โ†’ 35/224

Thoughts: This has definitely been a lot lighter of a read now that I got past the first part, just like @javerend said! To be fair there were a lot of panels without any dialogue, but where there was I was able to understand much better than the first 20-ish pages. I am enjoying it more now.

(I donโ€™t know how to quote people on the forums yet, so I just pinged you lol)

27 Likes

:snowflake: Day 3, 3rd of January :snowflake:

:open_book: Back to my Home Post

In todayโ€™s first DrDru story we talk about Harry Potter. Once again too many Katakana names for my liking.

In the second itโ€™s movie time. We guess which movie it is based on the emoji presented, so there isnโ€™t too much content to read here. Which is good because Iโ€™m a bit dizzy today.

24 Likes

January 3rd (Day 3) :snowflake: :cat2:

Home post :books:

Today, I finished reading chapter 8 of ๆตท่พบใฎใ‚ซใƒ•ใ‚ซ, and I finally feel like Iโ€™m slowly starting to get a hang of this :3 I am considering reading a little bit more though, because Iโ€™ve been scrolling through the bookclubโ€™s discussion on the following chapters and got a little curious :eyes:

As for my side quest, I only had the energy to read the next short story from the collection about Milton and Bulka titled ะงะตั€ะตะฟะฐั…ะฐ (The Turtle). The story was, to my surprise and delight, complete with some turtle facts - so I got a little refresher on my turtle knowledge as a bonus :turtle: Sometimes I forget just how cool turtles are.

27 Likes

Thereโ€™s a little one-room private museum in Tokyo with a collection of those โ€œdaimyo clocksโ€. Recommended for clock nerds, especially if you can make a stab at reading the only-in-Japanese exhibit labels.

24 Likes

absolutely putting this on my travel wishlist thank you :joy:

11 Likes

January 3 :heavy_check_mark: :dancer:

ใŠใฐใกใ‚ƒใ‚“ใŸใกใฎใ„ใ‚‹ใจใ“ใ‚ , 53-62%

Today I read this weekโ€™s two stories from ใŠใฐใกใ‚ƒใ‚“ใŸใกใฎใ„ใ‚‹ใจใ“ใ‚. And this concludes the book clubs for this week. I need to think what to read tomorrow. Continue with my mountain ghost stories book, or read something new?

Thatโ€™s so cool! I knew about the uneven six hours of day and six hours of night, but had no idea there were actual clocks that could measure such a crazy time!

26 Likes

:snowman_with_snow: :snowflake: January 2-3 :snowflake: :snowman_with_snow:
Home Post

English reading (The Hot Rock by Donald E Westlake) :books:

Have I mentioned how busy Iโ€™d be for the first half of this month? If youโ€™ve missed it, then apparently I forgot to mention it in this thread because I sure have said in a number of places. :joy:

So yeah, no actual Japanese reading. Probably a sentence here or there while reading the forum, but nothing on my (Japanese) priorities.

I did however finish a novel in English Iโ€™m reading for a workshop, so it was a prioritized read, and I do have another one of those. Which might be the only thing I read for the next two weeks, more or less. :sweat_smile:

Iโ€™m gonna be sooo behind on both VN clubsโ€ฆ

24 Likes

Day 2
I have finished the third volume of U12. Even though there are still six more volumes left, letโ€™s pretend that the manga ends with volume 3. The girls board a subway and drive to safety while running over all the pedos. What a beautiful ending.

After that I read three pages of ใผใฃใกใ‚ƒใ‚“.

262 pages read 19738 to go

20 Likes

:books: 01ๆœˆ03ๆ—ฅ
9-nine-

Finished week 1 for the club, seems pretty nice so far. I get the feeling Iโ€™m going to like it. I have to be responsible and not read more :joy: so ใ†ใŸใ‚ใ‚Œใ‚‹ใ‚‚ใฎ until Friday.

I might start NieR:Automata again. And I say again because I did play many hours of it until the first ending back in some previous challenge but I didnโ€™t continue for some reason even though I was adoring the game. Iโ€™ve seen that an anime is about to release and it got me curious but I donโ€™t want to watch it without finishing the game first. So Iโ€™ll restart it soon, maybe.

24 Likes

January 3rd!

Today I read this weeks ABBC portion of Cells at Work.
I had to look up a lot of vocab, but thats to be expected when it includes words like ่ก€็ฎกๅ†…็šฎ vascular endothelium :sweat_smile:

(Home Post)

26 Likes

I was planning to wait to start volume 5 of ใ‚ทใƒฃใƒ‰ใƒผใƒใ‚ฆใ‚น, but decided to let myself read 2 chapters since it was my birthday. So I read 6โ€ฆ

3/1 3 pages ใŠใฐใกใ‚ƒใ‚“ใŸใกใฎใ„ใ‚‹ใจใ“ใ‚ (finished story 7), 70 pages ใ‚ทใƒฃใƒ‰ใƒผใƒใ‚ฆใ‚น (chapters 51-56)

28 Likes

่ช•็”Ÿๆ—ฅใŠใ‚ใงใจใ†ใ”ใ–ใ„ใพใ™๏ผ

Iโ€™m still only half way through Volume 4 of Shadows House but Iโ€™m really enjoying it so Iโ€™m hoping it stays as interesting through volume 5 too.

24 Likes