📚📚 Read every day challenge - Winter 2023 ☃❄

:bookmark: Home post // Feb 17 :snowman_with_snow: :snowflake:

・薬屋のひとりごと3 (56% → 62%)

Today I noticed that 揶揄(やゆ) and 揶揄(からか)う have the same kanji. Just like 躊躇(ちゅうちょ) and 躊躇(ためら)う. I’m sure there are more examples, can’t recall from the top of my head.

Spoilery story/character comment: After reading the chapter where Maomao joins the emperor go through an emperor-selection-by-choosing-the-correct-door maze, I’m getting the sense that 任氏(じんし) might actually be the emperor’s younger hikikomori brother :eyes: Emperor’s younger brother never participate in events due to being a shut-in and that’s a very convenient excuse, isn’t it? I hope I’m not misremembering anything about this “emperor’s younger brother” character, I literally can’t remember any scenes where he appeared other than being mentioned briefly for the sole reason of pointing out that he was not attending.

Yes! Those flavor words. They typically don’t have an entry in Jisho (or Takoboto, ie. JMdict), and google images often returns Chinese or irrelevant/obscure(?) results.

Example 1: 吊帯(ノースリーブ)長裙(ロングスカート)
吊帯 → google images: some kind of strap for fastening your guns/swords and for lifting horses? Also for climbing electric power line poles :+1: Epitome of “no sleeve” outfit, mhm :joy_cat:
長裙 → actual Chinese word for long skirt!? :eyes: (disclaimer: did not consult any Chinese dictionaries)

Example 2: 爪紅(マニキュア) → flowers! :smiley: :nail_care:

22 Likes