📚📚 Read every day challenge - Winter 2023 ☃❄

lol seems like I didn’t clock した as a form of する, I think I straight up didn’t see it at all. Okay this makes more sense, thanks!

8 Likes

Home Post

Day 27-30 Progress:
スロー ループ - 48-53話 七巻完成!!!
魔法使いロゼの佐渡ライフ - 1-5話

Ah crap, I actually lost track of days between posting…

I finally caught up to Slow Loop… I even started buying individual issues of Manga Time Kirara Forward to catch up on the chapters not in tankoubons.

It felt kind of weird spending 550 yen a month on an entire magazine so I could read a single series so I also read 魔法使いロゼの佐渡ライフ, a fun new serialization about a witch who is ostracized in her own world so she isekais herself to Sado, Japan and lives a slow and peaceful life there instead. Only the beginning of the very first chapter took place in the fantasy world but I immediately got bombarded with more vocabulary than I could handle which kinda illustrates how I’ve mostly been reading SOL stuff :sweat_smile:

I also kinda see the appeal of buying actual manga magazines as well now: the anticipation of getting updates on a few series as well aimlessly flipping through and hoping to discover something new… unfortunately, my reading skills aren’t good enough to do that without being absolutely drained…

Anyway, next I’ll probably be going back to 天使様 after a while… and maybe start the であいもん manga as well.

Word of the Day: すけ - helper or supporter. Perhaps one of the single most cursed-looking words in the language.

28 Likes

:bookmark: Home post // Jan 31 :snowman_with_snow: :snowflake:

・ 封印再度 (91% → 92%)

Finished chapter 9 and thereby week 9 of book club. That means there is just one chapter and week left :eyes:

It’s just Tuesday, right? I feel like it is Friday already. Speaking of distorted sense of time, this month has been so hectic I feel like I’ve aged 5 years so far just this year.

27 Likes

:snowflake: :red_gift_envelope: 1月31日 :red_gift_envelope: :snowflake: (Home Post Link)

woooo one month down! :tada: :tada: :tada:

No missed days! Bookmeter thinks 8 volumes read in January but i’m counting 11 (2-in-1 magic treehouse volume + a short, but still full VN + 1 finished today local time but 2/1 japan time)

Some goodies also arrived yesterday! The 漢検 game came highly recommended, and i messed around with it a little bit today. The character recognition is surprisingly good! Little lessons and different problem types are making me think way more about kanji than even wanikani does, so that’s been a challenge. Since I had the ds out anyway, I also grabbed my japanese copy of ポケトモン サファイア that I used to shiny hunt on and restarted it. It’s all in kana, but I’ve understood enough so far to play it pretty comfortably.

Read:

• ホリミヤ ch 106, 107, 108, 109 + おまけ, volume 14 done! - the series definitely stretches on just a litttttle too long, but i’m still enjoying it. It didn’t bother me as much in english because I read the whole thing in like 2 days, but having an extra 20-30 chapters that probably could’ve stayed as 4-koma stuff is a little bit harder to get through when you’re only doing like a volume every few days :sweat_smile:

Word of the Day
肥える「こえる」ー to gain weight, to put on weight

26 Likes

Day 30
One of these days when I’m too lazy to read but somehow I still managed to read some Kindaichi Shounen. Hmm so Kindaichi is actually super smart but plays dumb. Interesting.

2398 pages read 17602 to go

19 Likes

January 31st (Day 31) :snowflake: :cat2:

Home post :books:

Started chapter two of 1Q84 today, was too tired to read more. I’ll try to do more tomorrow.

Ah, thanks so much for the link! :3

Glad to hear because those were an absolute nightmare :sweat_smile: I’m actually not yet finished with the book, but I think (and hope) that I’m far enough along to be finished with those chapters.

21 Likes

January 31 :heavy_check_mark: :fox_face:

狐火の辻, 7-21%

Finished the prologue and I’m halfway through the first chapter, interestingly titled 何が. The prologue continued with two seemingly unrelated stories of two separate hit and run incidents, then the first chapter starts with people discussing yet another strange hit and run. So far each section seems to involve totally different people, but it’s starting to get obvious that the stories all took place in the same area, and certain events are already being revisited from different angles. Just when I stopped reading, some Ghost Spotter Youtubers made an appearance. I wonder how it will all converge. If I remember correctly from what I had read about the book, the story is not supernatural, but it may appear at times to be so.

25 Likes

Read the first two chapters of Steel Ball Run vol. 7 on the bus to work. Will read the remaining 3 on the way home after doing my reviews for the day.

Brought 夜は短し歩けよ乙女 to work for study. Lets see how this new routine goes.

18 Likes

Jan 28th-31st
Home Post :house_with_garden:

• 28/1: :orange_book: 10分で読める伝記, 26min.
  • 29/1: :cherry_blossom: 花野井くん, 1:17 volume 2
  • :teacher: 教養366, 24min. and also :ring: わたしの幸せな結婚, 38min 13%
  • 30/1: :ring: わたしの幸せな結婚, 38min 16%
  • 31/1: planning to read more of :ring: before bed, will edit this in the morning!

And that wraps up January! Yay!! :partying_face: I’m genuinely surprised, after so many months of not reading, I didn’t think I could get back onto it, but i guess it’s true when they say that if you do a thing for ten days then it becomes a habit lol;
I did miss two days of reading, but honestly, they were both instances that I was having a super long and exhausting day, so I’m not going to beat myself over it. I do regret not reading more chinese, gotta work on that more!!
And also, I can’t believe I even went and started a whole ass novel, I’m totally committed to it, so i guess thanks @Redglare for convincing me to get it! I’m slow but I’m getting there, and bit by bit I think i’m getting better at resisting the urge of looking words up way too often…
Looking forward to February with everyone! :heart_decoration:

25 Likes

January 31st!

Today I read the first half of Chapter 4 of Cells at Work.
Only one more week left of this bookclub - I don’t expect there will be an offshoot club do this one since most people seem to have struggled a bit with it.

Personally, I’ve enjoyed the story, and I think the whole premise of the series is really cool - but I’m relieved that I’ve nearly reached the end of the volume because its been a bit time sink as its definitely too tough for me to read at the moment.
I’m hoping to return to the series in the future when I can read a lot better and faster than I can right now!

(Home Post)

23 Likes

Home Post

January Wrap-Up

I read 896 pages in exactly 74 hours (i.e. 12.1 pages per hour on average).
I wanted to reach 900 but the chapter is finished and I’m tired :grin:

Finished Books

• :hibiscus:   チュベローズで待ってる AGE22 (with the Compulsive Readers club; finished Jan 13th)
  • :rose:   ユージニア (with the ABC; finished Jan 15th)
  • :blossom:   チュベローズで待ってる AGE32 (with the Compulsive Readers club; finished Jan 25th)

Plans for February

• :waning_gibbous_moon:   1Q84 Book 1.2 (with the 1Q84 book club; ongoing)
  • :pirate_flag:   Flesh&Blood Vol. 11 (with the F&B club; ongoing)
  • :books:   この本を盗む者は (with the ABC; from Feb 4th)
  • :cityscape:   ユートロニカのこちら側 (with the Compulsive Readers club; from ca. Feb 11th)

Yearly Reading Goal

896 pages down, 9,104 to go! That equals an average of 828 pages per month going forward.

27 Likes

:cup_with_straw: Home :it:

January 31st

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険8
63 - 65

I got incredibly distracted by the idea of a “wall” of hidden door bookshelves and then it was already way too late for me to be going to bed :sweat_smile:

20 Likes

Haha I once was in a (pretty nerdy) café in Christchurch, New Zealand, and they had their toilets behind a hidden door bookshelf - that was really funny the first time around :joy_cat:
I need to go to bed now but maybe I can find a picture tomorrow when I’m awake enough to remember where exactly that place was ^^

13 Likes

That sounds so cool, but a nightmare in an emergency lol. I’d love to see the photos if you find them :smiley: Sleep well!

10 Likes
7 Likes

Today’s experiment…

Read today’s small piece of 夜は短し歩けよ乙女. It’s hard but not boring. I read through the same passage a couple times and did word look up after and read one more time. I will probably read it again tomorrow and then move on to the next part. These bits are super short, so I think I need it look at this like reading practice and not really “reading.” So when I go home I am doing other reading for fun.

13 Likes

:spiral_calendar: Day 31: January 31st :mountain_snow:

spacer:mag: 名探偵コナン Volume 13 (91% ➨ 100%)

Month-End Progress

I feel ending the month at 8 volumes completed is decent. (In my first year of reading lots, I averaged 2.5 manga volumes per month.)

Screenshot_20230131_184844-fs8

I’m also partway through eight other volumes, with enough progress to fill about four complete volumes.

I slacked a bit here and there on reading, but since it’s just a hobby, I don’t mind letting other hobbies get in the way.

23 Likes

Ah, thanks for the name! The photos look cool but confusing. I’ve saved some videos to watch later now though :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Funny how all your finished books for the month are flowers :grin:
I finished the same books, but for me two are drinks:

:clinking_glasses: - チュベローズで待ってる AGE22 (finished)
:tumbler_glass: - チュベローズで待ってる AGE32 (finished)
:rose: - ユージニア (finished)

I like your reading graphs a lot. I don’t want to track reading time (too stressful), but I think I’d like to try tracking pages. How do you log pages for ebooks? Do you just roughly calculate them based on page count and progress percentage?

15 Likes

January 31 :snowflake: Home Post

A bit of variety today; I started out with some 山猫 which I think was a bit tougher than it usually is, but still not terrible. I also played some more BU$TAFELLOWS, which continues to be fun and interesting! Things are probably gonna get wild soon :eyes:

(I also got quite distracted by Hi-Fi Rush, which I did play in Japanese for a bit but decided to go for English first to just vibe with it and experience it, though I think it’d be very fun to go back through in Japanese once I have a better feel for it :eyes:)

21 Likes