📚📚 Read every day challenge - Winter 2023 ☃❄

Home post

1 月 31 日
コナの大冒険 第35話 :black_cat:

Oh no! Somebody got hurt! It wasn’t Kona but I’m still sad about any animal getting hurt. It was one of the wolves in the pack who was hunting them.

New vocab
  • 諦める [あきらめる] to give up, to abandon, to resign oneself
  • 馬鹿にする [ばかにする] to make fun of
  • ますます increasingly, more and more; decreasingly, less and less
  • 片目 [かため] one of one’s eye
  • つぶれる to collapse, to cease functioning,
  • 襲う [おそう] to attack, to assail
  • 洞穴 [ほらあな] cave, den
  • 方がいい [ほうがいい] had better, had better not (after negative verb)
  • 態度 [たいど] attitude, manner, behavior
  • 慌てる [あわてる] to be flustered, to panic, to hurry
  • がくぜん [愕然] astonishment, shock, amazement, terror

First month is over and I only missed 2 out of 31 days! Yayyyy! I mostly read on Satorireader and it has definitely spoiled me. :sweat_smile: But hey I gotta start somewhere! I’m 10 more episodes away from finishing my first series on Satorireader!

And just to say congratulations to everyone else doing this challenge! Whether you’ve done only 2 days or 31! 頑張ってね!

26 Likes

:spiral_calendar: Day 30: January 30th :cloud_with_snow:

spacer 好きな子がめがねを忘れた Volume 10 (15% ➨ 27%)

23 Likes

Officially dropped Re:Zero. Started 夜は短し歩けよ乙女 but plan to use it to study on my lunch, not really trying to reading it for pleasure per se.

Gonna read manga on my commute for a bit. I went to hard on reading Re:Zero and even showed down but it was just a chore too read because nothing was happening.

23 Likes

home post

31st jan

chapter two completed! someone please, please give ginko a break, the poor guy deserves it :sob: some of the specifics of this one went over my head but i got the broad strokes. this chapter featured some very long constructions and some more dialectal speech, which was a struggle, but i got there in the end.

words that stuck out: 方方 (ほうぼう, here and there, everywhere), 文献 (ぶんけん, literature, reference books), 絶縁 (ぜつえん, breaking off relations with someone), and tho they didn’t go into anki i have to mention 十中八九 (じゅうちゅうはっく, in 8 or 9 cases out of every ten, in all likelihood) and 村八分 (ostracism, esp. of a household) cos they’re quite fun

24 Likes

:open_book: :desktop_computer: :snowman_with_snow: :snowflake: January 30

Feels weird not to have a book I’m reading. Won’t last long though considering the ABC is starting a new book this week and I’ll be at the very least reading the free sample.

Instead, I played BU$TAFELLOWS for a bit over an hour since I want to catch up (I seem to always be just a little behind, hoping to stop that soon).

25 Likes

Jan 31, Tue of Week 6 of Winter Q1 2023 :snowman::snowflake:

• はたらく細胞 Black Vol.6 Ch.35-36 (end volume) + Vol.7 Ch.37

Drug mechanism, and end of stress. Then, new arc.

• うたわれるもの
Words of the day
  • ~といえど = as it may (happen). From ~と (particle) + ()え + ど.
  • いけず = being mean. Kanji form is ()けず.
  • おもむろに(.) = composedly; calmly. Seems to be used as “abruptly” as well, but JJ said wrong usage. Kanji form is (おもむろ)に or (おもむ)ろに.
  • (ひと)りごちる = to mutter to oneself
  • (しゅ)になる = to take a lead in doing
  • (いぶ)す = to smoke out. Has Furigana in context.
  • (くろ)ずみ = darkening; discoloration. Verb form is (くろ)ずむ.
  • 琥珀(こはく) = an amber. 琥珀色(こはくいろ) = amber-colored.
  • 楊枝(ようじ) = toothpick. Has Furigana, though I believe I have seen without Furigana before.
  • 業務(ぎょうむ) = duty; service; business
  • 適量(てきりょう) = proper amount. Opposites are 過剰(かじょう) or オーバードーズ (overdose).
  • 便秘(べんぴ) = constipation
  • 遵守(じゅんしゅ) = observance of laws (obeying to the rules)
  • 挺身(ていしん) = offering oneself
  • 按配(あんばい) = seasoning (taste) / condition. Probably I have seen an alternate form = 塩梅(あんばい).
  • 手中(しゅちゅう) = in one’s control
  • 面持(おもも)ち = facial expression
  • 頓挫(とんざ) = deadlock. Has Furigana in context.
  • ()べら = wooden spatula
  • 上澄(うわず)み = clear fluid at the top of the mixture; supernatant fluid
  • 沈殿(ちんでん) = precipitation at the bottom of the mixture
    • Second Kanji is indeed for 殿(どの) (Sir)
    • An alternate form is 沈澱(ちんでん), which uses Kanji for (おり) / (よど)
    • Looked up – 「」の代用字(.)。「沈殿
  • (さい)() = small cube (of food). (さい) is a dice (サイコロ).
  • 湯煎(ゆせん) = warming something in a vessel placed in hot water
  • 五体満足(ごたいまんぞく) = no physical defects; in good health
  • 試行錯誤(しこうさくご) = trial and error

SFX

• モチモチ = springy texture of food
24 Likes

:raccoon: :books: The Tanuki Kotatsu Reading Den :snowflake: :raccoon:

January 31st
新書太閣記 progress: 05.77% // Volume I: 66.87% :person_fencing:

Tried to read a bit more to try and play catch up to one volume a month since it’s the last day of the Jan, but became side-tracked from looking up so many new names. I don’t think I’ll try and catch up from here on, I’ll read at whatever pace I can, because that was pretty exhausting.

Words found under the kotatsu

「うまや」ー Stable; barn
膳所「ぜんしょ」ー Kitchen (archaic)
田螺「たにし」ー Pond snail
仔細「しさい」ー Reasons; circumstances; hindrance; obstruction
馬糞「ばふん」ー Horse poop
土用「どよう」ー Midsummer
斟酌「しんしゃく」ー Taking into consideration; making allowances for
梧桐「あおぎり」ー Chinese parasol tree; Japanese varnishtree

Forms
田圃 = 田んぼ「たんぼ」(Paddy field; farm)

Character Name List

Probably some spoilers, but this is a historic novel, so can spoilers really exist for things that have (for the most part) actually happened :thinking:

Volume I: 1535 - 15??
(Currently 1554/5)
日吉「ひよし」- Hideyoshi (as child)
Nicknames: 猿「さる」/ 針売り「はりうり」

Family
木下弥右衛門「きのした やえもん」- Father
– – 乙若「おとわか」- Old friend
筑阿弥「ちくあみ」ー Step-father
大政所「おおまんどころ」// also お奈加「おなか」ー Mother
おつみ - Older sister
小竹「こちく」- Baby brother
加藤清正「かとう きよまさ」// also 弾正「だんじょう」- Ojisan (only distantly related (before marriage))
– Married to: おえつ (sister of お奈加)

Friends & Acquaintances
仁王「におう」- Big kid friend
於福「おふく」(Nickname - full name: 福太郎「ふくたろ」) // 楊景福「ようけいふく」(Chinese name/birth name) - Timid kid friend (older than Hideyoshi)
– 五郎大夫 「ごろ だゆう」// 祥瑞「しょうずい」(Chinese name) - Father
– 梨琴「りきん」- Mother
捨次郎「すてじろう」- Previous servant to 五郎, later the adoptive father of 於福, and owner of a tea ware shop - and employer of, and master to, Hideyoshi

Hachisuka Clan
蜂須賀小六「はちすか ころく」(also 正勝 「まさかつ」) - Head of the Hachisuka clan
– 七内「なない」- Younger brother
– Married to 松波「まつなみ」
– – 亀一「かめいち」- Son

Retainers:
稲田大炊助「いなだ おおいのすけ]
青山新七「あおやま しんしち」
長井半之丞「ながい はんのじょう」
松原内匠「まつばら たくみ」

Others:
国吉「くによし」- Gunsmith/blacksmith
渡辺天蔵「わたなべ てんぞう」- Deserter - Nobushi (Nephew to Koroku)
難波内記「なんば ないき」- Spy disguised as a Komuso
仁田彦十「にった ひこじゅう」- Subordinate

(蜂須賀正利「はちすか まさとし」- previous head of the Hachisuka clan)

Saito Clan
((questionable) Alliance with the Hachisuka clan)
斎藤 道三「さいとう どうさん」- Head of the Saito clan
– 斎藤義龍「さいとう よしたつ」(also: 高政「たかまさ」) - Son

明智 光秀「あけち みつひで」(common name: 十兵衛「じゅうべい」) - serves under Dosan
– 又市「またいち」- Underling / foot soldier

弥平治光春「やへいじ みつはら」- Retainer (cousin to Jyubei)
– 明智光安「あけち みつやす」- Father

Oda Clan
織田信秀「おだ のぶひで」- Daimyo
– 織田与三郎「おだ よさぶろう」- Younger brother

Shiba Clan
斯波義統「しば よしむね」- Head of the Shiba clan, at Kiyosu castle

Imagawa Clan
今川義元「いまがわ よしもと」- Daimyo

Retainers:
松下之綱「まつした ゆきつな」(common name: 加兵衛「かへい」)
飯尾豊前「いのお ぶぜん」
多賀能八郎「たがのう はしろう」(nickname: 能八「のうはち」)

Takeda Clan
太郎義信「たけだ よしのぶ」- Commander
(Married to the daughter of Imagawa Yoshimoto to tie the clans)

Non-affiliated
上泉 信綱「かみいずみ のぶつな」(also: 上泉 伊勢守「かみいずみ いせのかみ」) - Founder of the 新陰流「しんかげりゅう」school of Kenjutsu
– 疋田小伯「ひきた しょうはく」- Disciple

塚原 卜伝「つかはら ぼくでん」- Kensei; legendary swordsman

Historical People
  • 阿倍仲麻呂「あべ の なかまろ」ー Japanese scholar & poet (700s)

• 白楽天「はく きょい」ー Chinese poet (Bai Juyi / Bo Juyi) also known as: 白楽天「はく らくてん」in Japan. (Late 700s)

• 道元「どうげん」(or 道元禅師「どうげん ぜんじ」ー Japanese Buddhist Priest, writer & poet (also known as 栄西禅師「えいさい ぜんじ」) (Early / mid 1200s)

• 空海「くうかい」ー The one and only Kukai or Kobo Daishi - a Buddhist monk. Posthumously given the title of: 弘法大師「こうぼう だいし」born as: 佐伯 眞魚「さえき の まお」(late 700s / early 800s)

• 源頼政「みなもと の よりまさ」ー Prominent poet and warrior (1100s)

25 Likes

January 31st

:snowman: Home post :snowflake:

Aria: the masterpiece volume 3 – progress report
Yesterday: Read up to page 158.
Today: Continued up to page 163.

Didn’t sleep well last night, so only a tiny read today; especially with today’s pages being dedicated to an explanation about the custom of young men gifting those red roses on the day of the ‘Festa del Bocolo’.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Word or expression of the day:
自ら進んで - (みずからすすんで) - by choice, of one’s own free will, on one’s own initiative

Honourable mention(s):
戦友 - (せんゆう) - comrade in arms, war buddy, fellow soldier​

26 Likes

:snowflake: Day 31, 31st of January :snowflake:

:open_book: Back to my Home Post

Reading the first story of the Tile World Chronicles, I think I’m gonna go slowly and do one page at a time.

It seems the princess needs to be saved from the big bad wolves in the “blue-and-green-forest”. I was a bit confused by the を in the sentence, because I only learned it as indicating the object that something is done to, but apparently it’s different here. Using ichi.moe, を can indicate the following:

• indicates direct object of action
  • indicates subject of causative expression
  • indicates an area traversed
  • indicates time (period) over which action takes place
  • indicates point of departure or separation of action
  • indicates object of desire, like, hate, etc.

I think it is the latter because it seems to describe the big bad wolves. I’ll have to keep these six different points in mind because apart from the first I had no clue about them.

Edit: した is a past form of する, so it’s actually still an object indicator.

24 Likes

You mean the one in あかをしたわる ? I think most people would think of that as the “direct object” を (the verb being する), and X目をした as an idiomatic expression for “X-eyed” ( 大きな目をした, 青い目をした, etc).

“Area traversed” and “point of departure” are a special use with movement verbs – there have been a couple of threads on that recently.

13 Likes

lol seems like I didn’t clock した as a form of する, I think I straight up didn’t see it at all. Okay this makes more sense, thanks!

8 Likes

Home Post

Day 27-30 Progress:
スロー ループ - 48-53話 七巻完成!!!
魔法使いロゼの佐渡ライフ - 1-5話

Ah crap, I actually lost track of days between posting…

I finally caught up to Slow Loop… I even started buying individual issues of Manga Time Kirara Forward to catch up on the chapters not in tankoubons.

It felt kind of weird spending 550 yen a month on an entire magazine so I could read a single series so I also read 魔法使いロゼの佐渡ライフ, a fun new serialization about a witch who is ostracized in her own world so she isekais herself to Sado, Japan and lives a slow and peaceful life there instead. Only the beginning of the very first chapter took place in the fantasy world but I immediately got bombarded with more vocabulary than I could handle which kinda illustrates how I’ve mostly been reading SOL stuff :sweat_smile:

I also kinda see the appeal of buying actual manga magazines as well now: the anticipation of getting updates on a few series as well aimlessly flipping through and hoping to discover something new… unfortunately, my reading skills aren’t good enough to do that without being absolutely drained…

Anyway, next I’ll probably be going back to 天使様 after a while… and maybe start the であいもん manga as well.

Word of the Day: すけ - helper or supporter. Perhaps one of the single most cursed-looking words in the language.

28 Likes

:bookmark: Home post // Jan 31 :snowman_with_snow: :snowflake:

・ 封印再度 (91% → 92%)

Finished chapter 9 and thereby week 9 of book club. That means there is just one chapter and week left :eyes:

It’s just Tuesday, right? I feel like it is Friday already. Speaking of distorted sense of time, this month has been so hectic I feel like I’ve aged 5 years so far just this year.

27 Likes

:snowflake: :red_gift_envelope: 1月31日 :red_gift_envelope: :snowflake: (Home Post Link)

woooo one month down! :tada: :tada: :tada:

No missed days! Bookmeter thinks 8 volumes read in January but i’m counting 11 (2-in-1 magic treehouse volume + a short, but still full VN + 1 finished today local time but 2/1 japan time)

Some goodies also arrived yesterday! The 漢検 game came highly recommended, and i messed around with it a little bit today. The character recognition is surprisingly good! Little lessons and different problem types are making me think way more about kanji than even wanikani does, so that’s been a challenge. Since I had the ds out anyway, I also grabbed my japanese copy of ポケトモン サファイア that I used to shiny hunt on and restarted it. It’s all in kana, but I’ve understood enough so far to play it pretty comfortably.

Read:

• ホリミヤ ch 106, 107, 108, 109 + おまけ, volume 14 done! - the series definitely stretches on just a litttttle too long, but i’m still enjoying it. It didn’t bother me as much in english because I read the whole thing in like 2 days, but having an extra 20-30 chapters that probably could’ve stayed as 4-koma stuff is a little bit harder to get through when you’re only doing like a volume every few days :sweat_smile:

Word of the Day
肥える「こえる」ー to gain weight, to put on weight

26 Likes

Day 30
One of these days when I’m too lazy to read but somehow I still managed to read some Kindaichi Shounen. Hmm so Kindaichi is actually super smart but plays dumb. Interesting.

2398 pages read 17602 to go

19 Likes

January 31st (Day 31) :snowflake: :cat2:

Home post :books:

Started chapter two of 1Q84 today, was too tired to read more. I’ll try to do more tomorrow.

Ah, thanks so much for the link! :3

Glad to hear because those were an absolute nightmare :sweat_smile: I’m actually not yet finished with the book, but I think (and hope) that I’m far enough along to be finished with those chapters.

21 Likes

January 31 :heavy_check_mark: :fox_face:

狐火の辻, 7-21%

Finished the prologue and I’m halfway through the first chapter, interestingly titled 何が. The prologue continued with two seemingly unrelated stories of two separate hit and run incidents, then the first chapter starts with people discussing yet another strange hit and run. So far each section seems to involve totally different people, but it’s starting to get obvious that the stories all took place in the same area, and certain events are already being revisited from different angles. Just when I stopped reading, some Ghost Spotter Youtubers made an appearance. I wonder how it will all converge. If I remember correctly from what I had read about the book, the story is not supernatural, but it may appear at times to be so.

25 Likes

Read the first two chapters of Steel Ball Run vol. 7 on the bus to work. Will read the remaining 3 on the way home after doing my reviews for the day.

Brought 夜は短し歩けよ乙女 to work for study. Lets see how this new routine goes.

18 Likes

Jan 28th-31st
Home Post :house_with_garden:

• 28/1: :orange_book: 10分で読める伝記, 26min.
  • 29/1: :cherry_blossom: 花野井くん, 1:17 volume 2
  • :teacher: 教養366, 24min. and also :ring: わたしの幸せな結婚, 38min 13%
  • 30/1: :ring: わたしの幸せな結婚, 38min 16%
  • 31/1: planning to read more of :ring: before bed, will edit this in the morning!

And that wraps up January! Yay!! :partying_face: I’m genuinely surprised, after so many months of not reading, I didn’t think I could get back onto it, but i guess it’s true when they say that if you do a thing for ten days then it becomes a habit lol;
I did miss two days of reading, but honestly, they were both instances that I was having a super long and exhausting day, so I’m not going to beat myself over it. I do regret not reading more chinese, gotta work on that more!!
And also, I can’t believe I even went and started a whole ass novel, I’m totally committed to it, so i guess thanks @Redglare for convincing me to get it! I’m slow but I’m getting there, and bit by bit I think i’m getting better at resisting the urge of looking words up way too often…
Looking forward to February with everyone! :heart_decoration:

25 Likes

January 31st!

Today I read the first half of Chapter 4 of Cells at Work.
Only one more week left of this bookclub - I don’t expect there will be an offshoot club do this one since most people seem to have struggled a bit with it.

Personally, I’ve enjoyed the story, and I think the whole premise of the series is really cool - but I’m relieved that I’ve nearly reached the end of the volume because its been a bit time sink as its definitely too tough for me to read at the moment.
I’m hoping to return to the series in the future when I can read a lot better and faster than I can right now!

(Home Post)

23 Likes