📚📚 Read every day challenge - Winter 2022 ☃❄

I finished NO. 6 vol. 2 last night! at 4 am, oops Things have gotten quite dramatic there at the end. Who needs sleep anyway.

Have not read any books yet today (I might read a bit later before bed) - instead I continued Doraemon Story of Seasons - one of those farming games, but with Doraemon.

Unfortuately my farm is still a little smol and sad

but I’m working on it! :smile:

Today I scraped up the little money I’ve earned so far, bought a chicken, and learned stuff about how to keep it healthy & happy. :slightly_smiling_face:

I have a cute lil’ chicken friend on my farm now! :chicken:

This game is some really nice relaxing language exposure.
It’s reasonably text heavy if you seek out the situations in which other characters talk to you, but at the same time the language level isn’t very difficult. Even the more complicated terms for certain tools etc aren’t so bad because you can easily see what item the characters are holding/talking about. I can pretty much get by without a dictionary, which is really nice for a change. I mean, within limits - hell if I know what the different kinds of fish are - but that’s also probably not that important :laughing:
I really like the art style in this, it’s really comfy. :slightly_smiling_face:

19 Likes

Day 21!
Three whole weeks already!
I’m writing this update after midnight, but I did the reading before midnight, not that I’m sure if that matters? I usually count “a day” as being from the time I wake up, to the time I go to bed, rather than midnight to midnight…

Today I read Volume 4, Chapter 7 of からかい上手の高木さん, it had a cute cat!
Only 2 more chapters to go in this volume!
I’ve already ordered the next few volumes because I’m going to keep reading this with the ABBC offshoot club - A friend and I did a CDJapan order together to save on shipping costs and it has arrived, so I’m going to get my part of it from him over the weekend :slight_smile:

(Home Post)

20 Likes

I think all that matters is however works for you to count it! Whenever I mention the book I’m reading on the side, I do basically tuck in the bits I read in the ~24 hours since last update, which usually come from the previous night, technically speaking.

I’ve been enjoying the anime adaptation quite a bit, and I think the club is practically the same group of people I really like from the Ayumu club, so I’ve been so tempted to try to hop in. But what I need are fewer things to read, not more… heh. Glad to hear you’re enjoying reading it!

7 Likes

Home post :house_with_garden:

Becoming really bad at updating here regularly… even though I come almost daily in order to read everyone else’s updates :eyes:

18/1: 歴史366, 10min
19/1: 歴史366, 15 min
20/1: 暁のヨナ, chapter 61; just went through it once ~ 30min
21/1: 暁のヨナ, chapter 61; went through it again, looked up words this time
22/1: 歴史366, 15 min

New Words

ヨナ
好奇心旺盛 こうきしんおうせい brimming with curiosity
肩車 かたぐるま giving someone a ride on one’s shoulders; piggyback ride
顔ぶれ かおぶれ lineup (of a team);cast (of a play)
値する あたいする to be worthy of
色黒 いろぐろ dark-skinned
歴史
給食 きゅうしょく provision of lunch
育ちざかり そだちざかり growth period (in children)
貧困 ひんこん poverty; penury
主食 しゅしょく staple food
仲介 ちゅうかい intermediation; agency
接近 せっきん getting closer; becoming closer (friendlier)
薩長同盟 さっちょうどうめい Satchō Alliance-1866 alliance between the feudal domains of Satsuma and Chōshū
首を洗って待ってろ くびをあらってまってろ “just you wait”; “I’ll show you”

• to wait for one’s punishment
  • to wait before one gets what’s coming to one
  • to wash one’s neck and wait (i.e. for one’s beheading)
20 Likes

Milo is a thing in Japan as well? This was the drink of my childhood until they changed the recipe and added more milk. I hate the taste of milk so I switched to Nesquik.

I’m surprised that it’s not a thing in America because all the ads for this drink that I know of are American and the ones that they brought to my country just use Black people to relate to the market.

Another tangent on the name

I guess the Japanese pronounce Milo differently than in English. In English, the sounds would be マイーろ approximately.

Yamada kun is really fun, right? I wish I could find it as easy as you but I’m not there yet.

7 Likes

Summary post

Day 21: January 21st

365日にっぽんのいろ図鑑
Time spent: 17 min
Today’s color: 檳榔子黒 (びんろうじぐろ) - a rich black with a hint of blue

Another really pretty color. Named for 檳榔子 - betel nuts. Fun fact (or un-fun fact, I guess): chewing these nuts can turn your teeth black and give you cancer :+1:

Some good words
  • 熱帯 (ねったい) - tropics
  • 煎じる (せんじる) - to boil; to decoct; to infuse
  • 呈する (ていする) - to show; to display; to exhibit
  • 下染め (したぞめ) - preliminary dyeing
  • 厳か (おごそか) - solemn (ceremony, atmosphere, etc.); austere; grave; majestic; dignified; stately; impressive

まいにち暦生活 日本の暮らしを楽しむ365のコツ
Time spent: 7 min

Today’s reading talked about キンカン - kumquats! I don’t know that I have ever actually eaten a kumquat :thinking: But apparently they are full of vitamin C and good for your cough/throat pain.

What else did I read?
お前、タヌキにならねーか? Vol 1
Amount read: 8 pages
Time spent: 18 min

Just a tiny read today because I have a not-very-tiny headache :disappointed:
But today I learned that cute tanuki man’s name is こがね丸
I would have known this if I had bothered to read the back cover, but who has time for that lol

23 Likes

Main Post
January 20th-21st
I’ve been a little busy lately so just a small post now. Been trying to read random things I come across. I tried reading more messages in Sky:COTL. This one was about someone finally getting 150 candles.

19 Likes

Jan 21 update :snowflake: summary post

um… so I haven’t really been reading much for the last week or so (whoops). I blame the start of the semester. But today I completely caught up with Akiko’s American Foreign Exchange! Tomorrow’s the start of the Death Note book club so hopefully I get back on track for reading every day

19 Likes

Home post

Day 20:

日本語: I read a fair amount of 伯爵と妖精 31.
Read-aloud: We read a chapter of ふしぎの国のバード.

中国語

中国語: I read an intermediate entry on Mandarin Bean and one page of 擅长捉弄的高木同学.

18 Likes

Update

• Spent 45 minutes on three pages of Chainsaw Man. Couldn’t tell where the dialogue was coming from. I think one of the characters was meant to be an apparition maybe? Had to put it down for another time.
  • Read chapter 6 of 三星カラーズ. Much easier.
  • Animal Crossing chores.
18 Likes

Yeah nesquik is definitely the chocolate milk thing I associate nestle with (ah childhood), maybe it’s a regional thing? I’ve certainly never seen it but it could be more known in other parts of the US, idk. Also very relatable, I only ever drank milk if it had nesquik in it haha

Yeah that’s true, I guess maybe it’s being interpreted more like romaji? Idk :man_shrugging:

Very jealous, I’ve been wanting to read it for a while but whenever I put together mandarake orders they never have the first volume :sob: one day!! Maybe eventually I’ll get impatient and just buy it digitally lmao

Oh man that’s so relatable, idk what it is about back covers :joy: somehow they’re always so rough

5 Likes

January 21 :snowflake: Home Post

Another pretty sleepy day; I really need to start reading earlier, but I keep having things to do :sweat_smile: the struggles of being back in school I suppose. I read five pages though so not so bad, especially since they felt pretty heavy. Lots of extensive background information talking about like charcoal and mines and such, which I’m not knowledgable about in English either :joy: There was some fun though; love アクタガワ showing back up and IMMEDIATELY bucking ミロ off, poor sweetheart :joy: he was so upset about it, he’s so dramatic and ビスコ just thinks it’s absolutely hilarious

Tomorrow’s the weekend so I should hopefully :crossed_fingers: be able to read a bit more! Either way I’m glad I’m managing to stick with it (actually kind of wild that I’m at a point where I feel like five pages isn’t that much :sweat_smile: oh how times have changed)

Obligatory cool words

毒(どく)づく - to curse (at someone), to speak bitterly
話半分(はなしはんぶん) - taking a story with a grain of salt, hearing only half of a story/what someone is saying
小突(こづ)く - to poke (love that it’s just a small stab lmao)
放物線(ほうぶつせん) - parabola
ふて腐(くさ)れる - to become sulky

19 Likes

:snowflake: Main Tracking Hub :snowflake:

1月19日〜21日

Materials:
:red_square: きのう何食べた?1
:red_square: 地球星人

I’m slowly but surely getting back into reading. :blush: Not much to say about きのう何食べた. I stopped with one of the characters talking to his mother on the phone. She thinks he should come out to his co-workers. Mama, it’s not your place to say! I guess I should be happy that he at least felt comfortable enough to tell her that he’s gay, but still.

I muscled through today and finished week 2 of 地球星人. According to my calculations, in order to catch up with the book club by week 12, I’d need to read two weeks’ worth of pages every week. :skull: I want to give it a try, though that seems like quite the challenge. That said, I read 9 pages today, and the most I’d have to read is 7 pages a day for one or two of those catch-up weeks. :thinking: Content-wise, I felt quite sorry for 奈月ちゃん during this reading session. As you can see from the later sentences in the vocab section, her mother needlessly chews her out. I get that she’s at her in-laws and apparently doesn’t like going there (so she’s likely stressed), but still.

Question regarding tense changes

This has been bothering me for a while. Something I notice in a lot of the books I’ve read thus far is that the writing sometimes switches between past and present tense, sometimes within the same paragraph. One of my theories is that, if something about a character is still true about them, then the present tense is used. Here’s an example from 地球星人:

由宇は大人しいけれど意志が強い。由宇はすぐにどこかへと消えてしまう気がする。私は、自分も宇宙人になりたくて、帰る場所がある由宇がうらやましくてしかたがなかった。

That’s how Yu seemed then, and I assume that’s how the narrator still sees him. However, this theory doesn’t seem to work as a complete explanation. Here’s another example from 地球星人:

てるよしおじさんが玄関で声を張り上げている。「ほら、きた。奈月ちゃん、こっちはいいから行っておいで」「はい!」 私はしゃもじをおばさんに渡して立ち上がった。外からは虫の声がする。もうすっかり、夜が訪れて、台所の窓の外は普通の色に染まっていった。

I just can’t figure it out. This is a real puzzle for me.

Vocab 地球星人

豆電球 [まめでんきゅう]: miniature light bulb

豆電球のあかりに微かに照らされて、由宇がそこに立っていた。

どころか: far from; anything but; not at all​

由宇の身体は成長が止まっているどころか、小さくなったようにすら感じられた。

線香花火 [せんこうはなび]: sparkler (“incense” + “firework”)

「わあ、うれしい!線香花火やりたい!」

羊羹 [ようかん]: jellied dessert made from red bean paste, agar, and sugar

私の苦手な、海草を固めた生臭い羊羹みたいな「えご」を切りながらおばあちゃんがこちらを向く。

みそっかす: good for nothing

「いいええ、本当にあの子はみそっかすで、何やらせても下手くそなでね、見てるほうが疲れるんで嫌になっちゃうんですよう。」

出来損ない [できそこない]: good-for-nothing; worthless person

実際に私は出来損ないで、よそったご飯もうまく丸くふっくらせず、ぺったりしてしまっていた。

おべっか: flattery

母がため息をつき、おばさんが「そんなことないわよお。上手よー!」とおべっかを言ってくれた。

迎え火 [むかえび]: welcoming fire for the returning spirits (the story so far takes place during お盆)

「暗くなっちゃったわねえ。そろそろお迎えに行かないとねえ」「今日は迎え火だからね」

Pics of some vocab words

豆電球: I was curious about the size of these light bulbs, so I popped the word into search. Such cute little bulbs! I guess they can be as small as Christmas lights as well as ones that are roughly proportional to the part that you’d screw in. So long as they’re smaller than the standard bulb, they fit into this category.

羊羹: I like me some red bean paste, so I had to search for a pic. In the book the narrator says their grandma is making えご (on the right). The two dishes look very similar, though I don’t know if they taste the same.

19 Likes

Here’s a quick update from my side:
hmmm, when was my last update anyway? … :thinking:

Last Saturday I read the week’s assignment of 笑わない数学者 - this is just soooo good, and we’re speculating a lot in our little reading club about how this all came about, which is big fun on top of the reading. From Sunday to Wednesday I read 大聖堂 - this week’s assignment was a bit longer than last week’s, and I was busier than last week, so I decided to take it slowly. But on top of that, I read a bit of Demon Slayer 3 each day (almost done!). On Friday was sauna day so I also read a chapter of The Little Prince. It was a bit more abstract and philosophical this time and took me somewhat longer than expected, but it still fit into my break :blush:

Plans for this week:

• 笑わない数学者 (this week’s assignment)
  • 大聖堂 (this week’s assignment)
  • Finish off Demon Slayer 3
  • Death Note (with the Beginner Book Club)
  • If there is still time, I should have a look at my started-but-not-finished pile and see what I can do about it (not decided yet which one to pick…)
21 Likes

Summary post :bookmark:

January 21

笑わない数学者 (31% → 32%)
Just a tiny bit, the plan is to catch up now that I’m one week behind.

Also read a bit about 視力 (visual acuity) and 近視 (myopia / near-sightedness) on wikipedia. :mag: :eyes:

Some new words, eye-related stuff
Kanji Reading Meaning
屈折異常 くっせついじょう refractive error
老視 ろうし presbyopia
深視力 しんしりょく binocular vision / 3D vision
遠近感 えんきんかん depth perception
黄斑 おうはん macula / yellow spot (quite literally)
裸眼視力 らがんしりょく uncorrected visual acuity / naked eye
乱視 らんし astigmatism
遮眼子 しゃがんし occluder
調節力 ちょうせつりょく accommodation
視神経 ししんけい optic nerve / nervus opticus / CN II
21 Likes

Oooh!! Thank you so much for that, that makes way more sense now :smiley:

2 Likes

Summary Post

Day 21: Today I only read two pages of よつば&!

20 Likes

:house:

Day 22: Read pages 189-190 of Kiki. Page 189 was confusing for me and I spent longer there, but page 190 was fairly easy.
Although I didn’t read as much as I hoped to read, I’m still on track to be at page 200 before February!

I hadn’t heard of Nesquik until recently, but I’m very familiar with Milo. It’s extremely popular in Malaysia and loads of Australians love it as well.

17 Likes

So I’m terrible at translating but roughly,

Yuu is quiet/subdued, but their will is strong. It feels like they’ll disappear soon. For myself, I wanted to be like them, with a place to return to.

is how I interpret it if I try to keep tenses consistent with how I’d parse it in English. Maybe someone with more formal grammar study will do a better job at explaining :sweat_smile:

Also, I’m currently at the airport but still doing my daily reading! :pray: Something quite short, though: 「たくあん」と「たくわん」の違いは? | 1分で読める!! [ 違いは? ]
I think 違い articles might be my staple while I travel…

Words

糠床 - salted rice bran, for use in pickling
発祥 - origin
天日干し - sun drying
米糠 - rice bran
発酵 - fermentation
黄褐色 - yellowish brown (is this word in your color book @windupbird? :sweat_smile:
僧侶 - priest/monk
表音式仮名遣い - “phonetic kana usage”

9 Likes

So the dictionary of intermediate japanese grammar has a whole section on this topic: Tense switching.
I took some important excerpts from there:

DOIJG
"Usually a series of past events are narrated in the past tenses. But primarily in written Japanese discourse that narrates a past event, past tenses often switch to nonpast tenses. […] Logically speaking, the author could have written every sentence in the past tense. Nevertheless, the author sometimes used the past tense and sometimes the nonpast tense. […] [The nonpast tense] sentences describe a circumstance that surrounds Shigo, the main character of the story. The rest of the sentences [in the past tense] describe […] whatever Shigo did or felt in the given circumstances. To put it in general terms, tense switching is a strategy available to the writer to differentiate a stage and a set of chronological events that occur in that stage. […] . So, important, dramatic information is described in the past tense, whereas relatively unimportant circumstantial information is described in the nonpast tense. The use of such nonpast tenses has an effect of creating a vivid sense of immediateness for the reader.

Principle of Tense switching:
A part of a past event (often a state rather than an action) can be described using the nonpast tense, if the writer perceives it to be relatively unimportant circumstantial information that has no dircet bearing upon the major story line."

I edited it down a bit but that is the basic gist explained there. Hope this helps your understanding.

19 Likes