📚📚 Read every day challenge - Winter 2022 ☃❄

Home post

Day 9:

日本語: I read a lot of 伯爵と妖精 30.

中国語

中国語: I read an intermediate entry on Mandarin Bean, one page of 擅长捉弄的高木同学, and some of 孩子最爱读的中国民间故事.

21 Likes

Summary post :bookmark:

January 10
・かがみの孤城. I was completely hooked into the book today, so I finished week 8, 9 and 10. Very good book, I like.

Progress: (44% → 62%)

This is, however, affecting my sleep sleep time :caught_durtling:

24 Likes

I should probably post an update before I forget what I read :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

January 6 - January 9

Read the 地球星人 section for this week (IBC) on Friday, and orange on the other days. There’s something about the writing style in orange that I don’t really love (switching back after reading 地球星人 is always a bit of an adjustment), but I’ve gotten used to it by now. I’m about half way through now and somewhat interesting things have started happening! I don’t think it’s gonna be my favorite book or anything, but it’s a pretty comfortable read so far.

January 10

I scrapped my plan to not read several things at once and started NO. 6 vol. 2 today :grimacing: That gets my ‘currently reading’ count to 3 if I don’t count manga or books I’ve put on hold.
For some reason I just seem to like having different books for different purposes (in this case: one for vocab mining/intensive reading and one for more casual reading, + one book club book)
As long as I don’t forget to continue any of them it should hopefully be fine, I think :laughing:

23 Likes

Welp, my reading today consisted of example sentences in All About Particles. I’m able to pick out a few things grammar wise here and there! I also read way too many vocab words in WK and Torii, and typed out way too many notes watching Cure Dolly lesson 6 :laughing: Hoping to read something more before bed! I may start しろくまカフェ as I wait for my よつばと! reading pal to catch up, even though I know it’s a harder manga in general, and よつばと! is already hard enough at my level! :muscle: :four_leaf_clover:

24 Likes

Starting today, fashionably late.

Jan
01 02
03 04 05 06 07 08 09
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Feb
01 02 03 04 05 06
07 08 09 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
26 Likes

Day 10 :slight_smile:

I read Chapter 8 of レンタルおにいちゃん, which means I got to meet the dog that Chamellow mentioned last week. He’s so cute! :heart_eyes:
Thanks for giving me the little push I needed to start reading this volume, @chamellow! I’m really enjoying it.

(Home Post)

22 Likes

I also see this is the first time you’ve posted in the community, so WELCOME! :smiley:

welcome

11 Likes

Summary Post

Day 10: Still having head troubles today, so only 3 pages of よつば&!

23 Likes

ころされてもころされても
このよにsomethingるうつくしいおんな!!

That’s what I got from reading the title. Is that correct?

Yes, that’s where I get my digital Japanese books and I am using their app to read manga for this reading challenge. What I like is that occasionally there are free books, usually volumes 1-3 in manga so now I have a long list of manga to read. I mostly focus on manga that I’ve already read or heard about in English because I am not fluent in Japanese at all and wouldn’t be able to work up the motivation to try something unknown.

How do you read the kanji for The Pillars of the Earth?

I found this thread that lists when books on Bookwalker become free. I posted a link if anyone’s interested.

11 Likes

Summary post

Day 10: January 10th

365日にっぽんのいろ図鑑
Time spent: 20 min
Today’s color: 浅縹 (あさはなだ) - a super pretty pale blue, like the transparent water at the surface of a lake

So pretty~ Apparently in the Heian period, this was a color for low-ranking nobles to wear to court? …Idk what the colors for high-ranking nobles were, but if I were them, I’m pretty sure I’d be jealous of the fact that the low-ranking ones got to wear this pretty color :eyes: People in the Heian period were really into color-coding - that’s the vibe I’m getting so far lol

Some words I learned
  • 延喜式 (えんぎしき) - Engi-Shiki (set of ancient Japanese governmental regulations)​
  • 朝服 (ちょうふく) - clothes worn by the nobility when attending Court
  • 神秘的 (しんぴてき) - mysterious; mystical
  • 初々しい (ういういしい) - innocent; naive; artless; unsophisticated; pure; fresh

まいにち暦生活 日本の暮らしを楽しむ365のコツ
Time spent: 13 min

Today is 十日戎 (とおかえびす) - a festival honoring Ebisu (恵比寿), the god of fishing and commerce. In Kansai-ben, he’s apparently called えべっさん, which I think sounds cute xD In this festival, people ask Ebisu for 商売繁盛 (しょうばいはんじょう) - thriving (prosperous) business.

What else did I read?
囀る鳥は羽ばたかない Vol 1
Amount read: 8 pages
Time spent: 32 min

Just a tiny read from this today - TIL that おメガネ does not equal メガネ, respectful ver. xD お眼鏡 = (your) judgment; discernment​. Like…the person is judging you, with their メガネ :laughing:

:o fighting off the urge to post the spiderman meme a third time :joy:
I think…you were the one who posted about it in the fall challenge, right? I definitely bought it after you mentioned it there haha. I’m hoping to continue reading the daily entries from it (and the color book) daily for the whole year as well ^^ I’m trying to read other stuff on top of those for the challenge but that…hasn’t exactly been working out the way I’d hoped :sweat_smile: That book is pretty quick reading though, it’s more the color book that’s the problem xD I feel like trying to read two entry-a-day books at once was probably bad judgment on my part…but now that I’ve started I don’t want to stop lol

25 Likes

かがみの孤城 arrived! I read about 4 pages so far … I’m excited!

I’m starting to get overwhelmed by my “currently reading” pile. :see_no_evil: I just don’t have enough reading time if I want to also do things like my laundry …

21 Likes

January 10 :snowflake: Home Post

I’ve read almost four pages of 錆喰(さびく)いビスコ so far today! At this rate I’ll finish the first chapter tomorrow :eyes:

It was a good mix of action and description today. The worldbuilding in 錆喰(さびく)いビスコ continues to be WILD: because of the rust wind destroying machinery, people have started making tanks and planes and such out of living things?? don’t quite know the mechanics of that yet but it explains the hippos, and now there’s a snail plane, it’s just a lot so it’s been really interesting figuring all that out! I’m very intrigued to see where it goes :blush: (also very concerned for their safety but you know)

Fun words

()()ます - to sharpen, to hone
一際(ひときわ) - conspicuously, noticeably
無尽蔵(むじんぞう) - inexhaustible supply
(むく)いる - to reward, to retaliate
激痛(げきつう) - sharp pain
間一髪(かんいっぱつ) - hair’s breadth

23 Likes

Main Post

January 10
Read pages 16 - 17 of Naruto.
Learned あっち means “over there”. Also was able to understand that サンキュー is “thank you.”

Side Note:
I looked up the book I’m reading over at Natively and it’s actually level 24 at JLPT N3. No wonder I’m struggling with it lol. I’m very thankful for the furigana at least. I’m going to check out the lower-level material on there. I think I remember seeing some free ones.

22 Likes

I started playing FFXIV in japanese. I honestly count this as reading a book.

21 Likes

I just learned 火花(ひばな)()らす from reading one of the DDT recaps a few days ago! I almost added it to Anki, but then realized I only knew two of the kanji, haha, so I decided to wait on that one. But I had the same thought you did when I saw 火花!

10 Likes

Felt the same way when I missed a day. For me, I just try to remember that I’ve still done more than last year.

12 Likes

Ah, sorry, the reading is だいせいどう.

Just wait until you learn 花火 (はなび) - fireworks - as well :joy_cat:

11 Likes

Tonight I read ten pages from ちゃお, and seven pages from Death Note. Death Note was quite difficult to read, both because of the level, and because the print size was soooooo small. My up-close eyesight is very good, and I even used a magnifying glass. I think the ink was just blurred in the printing. I am enjoying the story, though.

死神------しにがみ------god of death

人間界------にんげんかい------human realm

髑髏------どくろ------skull (esp. weatherbeaten, used as symbol of death)

22 Likes

That one I know! Very good call; I love it too. Actually even knew it before I started Japanese because of Takeshi Kitano’s excellent film. Although my brain didn’t piece together that they were the same kanji reversed until you pointed it out now.

9 Likes

Yeah I also learned 花火 first and I was sooo confused when I encountered 火花 for the first time :rofl:
(BTW 火花 is also the title of a book - it“s sitting on my shelf, and one day I will manage to read it :crossed_fingers:)

8 Likes