📚📚 Read every day challenge - Winter 2022 ☃❄

Summary post

Today I read chapter 52 of ハイキュー as I’ll be out tomorrow daytime but am hoping to be able to join the read-aloud in the evening. Nothing special to report really, ハイキュー was ハイキュー, it’s always fun! After that I read some more of 鏡の孤城- 8%-10%. Bit annoyed that I couldn’t read more as I really want to but I could really feel my brain getting exhausted even though I’d been reading it for less than an hour. I think this is a combo of -

• I’m just generally tired, I’ve been having that fun thing recently where I’m exhausted and then when I go to bed I can’t sleep :sob:
  • I’m still just not as used to reading big blocks of text/prose. I remember getting this tired after reading a chapter of manga when I started reading that - which is hopeful because I can now read about a volume at a go without my brain exploding so hopefully I’ll get there in time.
  • I do think that I find also doing the dictionary lookups in japanese more tiring BUT at the same time I’m really enjoying it. It feels easier to stay in the flow of reading for me, and not to get quite as worried about translating things word for word which is a habit I think I need to get out of in general.

I also read the text and the little ‘tips’ section (I forget what they call it) that comes up at the end of each session in ring fit adventure which I’m playing in japanese, does that count lol?

Yay! reading pals are the best. Are you going to read it out loud with each other? Yotsubato is great for that, in the little read alongs I’m part of each chapter always makes me laugh at least once in the read-aloud :slight_smile:

eeeeep! that sounds bad :cry: But yeah, that’s what I was telling myself as well, just more reason to be thankful to be having the booster rather than the real thing. Glad you are starting to feel better :slight_smile:

Oooooh! I really need to get back to Ace Attorney - think I was just at the start of the 4th trial before I got distracted by whatever shiny thing caught my attention at the time (I think tokimeki memorial GS4). You are reminding me what a fun game it is though. I really want to play the great ace attorney too eventually, but I feel like the vocab is likely to be much trickier with the setting.

Welcome back (or well…to this new thread I guess haha)! And yeah, it pretty approachable to me so far (dangerous to say this early in), other than the just general reading blocks of text stamina issue I’ve mentioned. Vocab (and probably also grammar wise but that’s rare enough to not really matter) I’m actually having to look up way less in it than I was reading 呪術廻戦 - which is another shonen jump series like 鬼滅の刃 and seems a bit more difficult but not wildly so (checking natively it’s also lvl 27). So yeah, I guess this long ramble is me saying that it’s probably not too far off from things you are reading :slight_smile:

20 Likes