๐Ÿ“š๐Ÿ“š Read every day challenge - Winter 2022 โ˜ƒโ„

Please excuse me for making another new post so soon. Since Day 2 is bulkier, I thought it would be better organization-wise to separate from the main post.

๏ผ‘ๆœˆ2ๆ—ฅ ~ Day 2 / Back to Home

ใชใœ๏ผŸใฉใ†ใ—ใฆ๏ผŸใฟใขใ‹ใชใŽใ‚‚ใ‚“ (1ๅนด็”Ÿ) - 4 pages:
The first question was โ€œWhy are traffic signals red, green (blue), and yellow?โ€

Summary

It starts off by confirming the meanings of each of the colors, which the narrator assumes the reader is already aware of. Then the narrator proceeds to answer the question - starting off with the basics of how our eyes see a color and tell the brain what action to do knowing what the given color is meant to represent.

They do explain that if the color distinctions were hard to tell, the brain canโ€™t make a quick judgment call. But the way the brain is designed, it responds to the color red the fastest. The next color is yellow. And the third color is green (blue). Theyโ€™ve determined that the best way to protect everyone is to use that particular color order. The narrator then concludes that these colors were decided on because theyโ€™re the same colors the rest of the world uses, and each of them have the same meaning as the rest of the world (stop, go, slow down).

Overall, this reading was very easy to understand. Even with all the hiragana, it wasnโ€™t hard to read. There werenโ€™t any vocab words that really stumped me (though a few I had trouble pinpointing the exact English equivalent even though I could grasp a general idea of the word to use it in another Japanese sentence). I was pleasantly surprised to encounter a few kanji I learned recently, especially ๅ‘ฝไปค which I sometimes confuse.

I want to keep a log of the hiragana I encountered that I knew the kanji for (but isnโ€™t shown because 1st graders havenโ€™t learned them yet). I could also add them to my kanji notebook for vocab examples for contextual reference later. It would be nice to keep a list of kanji of vocab I havenโ€™t learned yet either.

Learned kanji

ไฟกๅทๆฉŸ - ใ—ใ‚“ใ”ใ†ใ - traffic light - Barring the last kanji, I know the first two and wouldโ€™ve probably been able to read the whole word in the context of the sentence without knowledge of the last kanji.
้ป„่‰ฒ - ใใ„ใ‚ - yellow
้“่ทฏ - ใฉใ†ใ‚ - paved road
ๅˆใ‚ใฆ - ใฏใ˜ใ‚ใฆ - in the beginning
ๆฑบใพใ‚Š - ใใพใ‚Š - decision
็Ÿฅใ‚‹ - ใ—ใ‚‹ - to know
่‰ฒ - ใ„ใ‚ - color
ๆ„ๅ‘ณ - ใ„ใฟ - meaning
่€ƒใˆใ‚‹ - ใ‹ใ‚“ใŒใˆใ‚‹ - to think
ๅ‹•ไฝœ - ใฉใ†ใ• - movement - Even though I could probably read this if I had seen the kanji, I couldnโ€™t recall what the kanji was for the word when encountering the hiragana.
ไฝ“ - ใ‹ใ‚‰ใ  - body
ๅ‘ฝไปค - ใ‚ใ„ใ‚Œใ„ - command - Actually surprised to realize these are two kanji that I just learned at level 11!
่ฆ‹ๅˆ†ใ‘ - ใฟใ‚ใ‘ - distinction
็€ใใซใใ„ - ใคใใซใใ„ - difficult to reach
้•ใ„ - ใกใŒใ„ - difference
ๅˆ†ใ‹ใ‚‹ - ใ‚ใ‹ใ‚‹ - to understand
ไผใ‚ใ‚‹ - ใคใ‚ใ‚‹ - to be transmitted
ๆฌก - ใคใŽ - next
ไฝฟใ† - ใคใ‹ใ† - to use
ๆ—ฉใ - ใฏใ‚„ใ- hurry
ๅ‘ฝ - ใ„ใฎใก - life - Knew the meaning of the word but didnโ€™t realize what the kanji was.
ๅฎˆใ‚‹ - ใพใ‚‚ใ‚‹ - to protect - Donโ€™t think this one has been covered in WK, but I remembered it from Genki.
ๅฟ…่ฆใช - ใฒใคใ‚ˆใ†ใช - necessary
ไธ–็•Œไธญ - ใ›ใ‹ใ„ใ˜ใ‚…ใ† - around the world
ๅŒใ˜ - ใŠใชใ˜ - same
ๆŒใค - ใ‚‚ใค - to carry

New Kanji

ๆธกใ‚‹ - ใ‚ใŸใ‚‹ - to cross
่„ณ - ใฎใ† - brain
ๅˆคๆ–ญใ™ใ‚‹ - ใฏใ‚“ใ ใ‚“ใ™ใ‚‹ - to make a decision
็ด ๆ—ฉใ - ใ™ใฐใ‚„ใ- swift
ๅฑ้™บ - ใใ‘ใ‚“ - danger
้ †็•ช - ใ˜ใ‚…ใ‚“ใฐใ‚“ - alternating

Edit: I read another 4 pages. Question 2: โ€œWhy do we say ใ€Œใ‚‚ใ—ใ‚‚ใ—ใ€when answering the phone?โ€

Let's find out!

The narrator reiterates the question, pondering why we use that particular phrase when we answer the phone (as opposed to another greeting kids would be familiar with) because weโ€™ve got some curious first graders that are probably wondering the same thing, yeah?

Apparently this phrase has been used as far back as 100 years ago. The narrator clarifies that phones werenโ€™t always as simple as dialing and answering but back then, there was a middle man who would connect the caller to the receiver. This part was a little confusing (thanks to vague pronouns), but it sounds like the connecter would say ใ€Œใ‚‚ใ†ใ—ใ‚ใ’ใพใ™ใ€ใ‚‚ใ†ใ—ใ‚ใ’ใพใ™ใ€(an old-fashioned way of saying ็”ณใ—ใพใ™) before connecting to the receiver of the call. This meant that from now on, someone was going to talk (from what I understand, that meant the connecter was announcing the initiation of the call by the caller). Eventually, the phrase was shortened to ใ‚‚ใ†ใ—ใ€ใ‚‚ใ†ใ— when a connecter was no longer necessary. And then the phrase was further shortened to ใ‚‚ใ—ใ‚‚ใ—.

The narrator concludes that English-speaking countries like the U.S. say โ€œHelloโ€ when answering the phone. French people say โ€œAlloโ€ (sorry if I butchered the spelling). The narrator also gives examples for China and Korea (but I have no idea how to write them in romaji so Iโ€™ll just leave it at that).

Overall, this was a lot more challenging of a reading to decipher because of the pronoun confusion, and according to my husband, the explanation was very simplified and not very well done so it was confusing. (In other words, he didnโ€™t want me to feel bad for not understanding because itโ€™s not my fault, lol.)

To clarify, the reason why ใ€Œ็”ณใ—ไธŠใ’ใพใ™ใ€was used was because the middle man who was connecting the call needed to be polite to the โ€œcustomers.โ€ Heโ€™s not the one receiving the call but just assisting the two involved in the conversation, so as not to be rude, he used the most formal way of saying โ€œnow speaking.โ€ When phones were installed in all the houses and a need for a connecter was no longer necessary, the use of super politeness was also removed which is why the phrase was shortened to the easier to say version ใ€Œ็”ณใ—็”ณใ—ใ€ and then further shortened to ใ€Œใ‚‚ใ—ใ‚‚ใ—ใ€.

Already Learned Kanji

้›ป่ฉฑ - ใงใ‚“ใ‚ - phone
ๆ™‚ - ใจใ - time
็”ณใ—็”ณใ— - ใ‚‚ใ†ใ—ใ‚‚ใ†ใ— - hello (answering the phone)
่จ€ใ† - ใ„ใ† - to say
ๆœ€ๅˆ - ใ•ใ„ใ—ใ‚‡ - the first
ๆ„ๅ‘ณ - ใ„ใฟ - meaning
ไฝฟใ† - ใคใ‹ใ† - to use
ไปŠ - ใ„ใพ - now
็™พๅนด - ใฒใ‚ƒใใญใ‚“ - 100 years
ไปฅไธŠ - ใ„ใ˜ใ‚‡ใ† - more than
ๆ˜” - ใ‚€ใ‹ใ— - long ago
ๅˆใ‚ใฆ - ใฏใ˜ใ‚ใฆ - first time
ๅ—ใ‘ใ‚‹ - ใ†ใ‘ใ‚‹ - to accept
็”ณใ—ไธŠใ’ใ‚‹ - ใ‚‚ใ†ใ—ใ‚ใ’ใ‚‹ - to state (in a polite way)
ๅ‘ผใณๅ‡บใ™ - ใ‚ˆใณใ ใ™ - to call
็›ธๆ‰‹ - ใ‚ใ„ใฆ - partner
่จ€่‘‰ - ใ“ใจใฐ - word
้•ทใ - ใชใŒใ - long
่กŒใ - ใ„ใ - to go
ๅ†… - ใ†ใก - inside
ๅ‘ผใณๆญขใ‚ใ‚‹ - ใ‚ˆใณใจใ‚ใ‚‹ - to call and stop
ๅฃฐ - ใ“ใˆ - voice
ไป– - ใปใ‹ - other
ๅ›ฝ - ใใซ - country
ๅ‘ผใณใ‹ใ‘ใ‚‹ - ใ‚ˆใณใ‹ใ‘ใ‚‹ - to call out to
่‹ฑ่ชž - ใˆใ„ใ” - English

New Kanji

็น‹ใ - ใคใชใ - to connect - Doesnโ€™t seem to be written with kanji very often though.
ๆ•ฌใ† - ใ†ใ‚„ใพใ† - to show respect for - This is the only word I had no idea the meaning of or kanji for.

17 Likes