📚📚 Read every day challenge - Winter 2022 ☃❄

Thank you all for your recommendations! This made me realize I need to pause and do some research. I guess I’ll collapse my responses so that the post is navigable :joy:

NicoleRauch

Hmm, actually I’d say I found that every chapter had something or other happening. Sometimes it wasn’t in an action-y way, but that’s not what I’m after anyway. The far-fetched part is on point, though, – it required quite some suspension of disbelief at times :slightly_smiling_face:

Totally – that’s exactly what I hope to find :grin:

I checked out the short story from the same author that @pocketcat recommended, and the complexity is tolerable, but barely. I’ll sure look into it again a few books later :slightly_smiling_face:

I checked out the preview on Bookwalker, and the language seems to be ok (although still surprisingly hard for a children’s book – it seemed harder than 時をかける少女). But it also has some nice illustrations, and I (vaguely) remember the story to be quite profound, so I’ll definitely consider it. Thanks! I’ll probably first buy a physical version though.

I don’t have any specific genre inclinations. I guess the thing I care for the most in a book is a deep story that makes you think even when you’re not reading, but of course it’s not a must. Atmosphere and/or interesting characters with a lot of development can compensate for that.

What I don’t care much about is “fact-oriented” narrative, where things take priority over the story itself. E.g. I’ve briefly seen some modern fantasy novels, and often they sound like a description of RPG gameplay rather than a story – that sort of thing is definitely a turn-off. But I haven’t heard any recommendations of this sort around here, so I assume I’m not the only one :joy:

Daisoujou

I don’t mind darker topics, but jpdb says it’s quite a bit harder than anything I’ve read so far, so I guess I’ll save it for later. Thanks!

I’m actually quite interested in VNs, I just never considered them as an easy medium to practice with :sweat_smile: I haven’t played many VNs in any languages (I guess only Steins;Gate and 999/Zero Escape, and I certainly wouldn’t be able to do that in Japanese now), so if you have recommendations, please do share!

BTW, Summer Pockets looks appealing (at least atmosphere-wise; and the art is gorgeous), but the language seems to be a bit too hard for me just yet, based on the screenshots you’ve posted so far.

basilsauce

I had the same feeling. Thanks for confirming!

Hmm, I just read your review on Natively, and even though it’s a children’s book, it caught my interest. Thanks!

Now this looks very appealing! Thanks a lot, I’ll definitely try it, and perhaps ボッコちゃん, too!

pocketcat

Thank you! I tried reading the first page, and it was very tough, although I guess I got the general idea (including where this is going, if I deduced correctly from the narration quirks combined with the title). So, I guess it’s a bit early for me to start コンビニ人間…
Also, this was the first time I’ve seen 貴方あなた written in kanji – never realized it was a thing :rofl:

Summary post

January 31 update:
After reading all the great advice, I decided that I wouldn’t read anything specific today, but rather try out a few things. Here’s what I tried:

• また、同じ夢を見ていた – read a page of it, and it seemed approachable. Regarding its kanji use, I only came across about 5-6 kanji I didn’t know, which may still seem like a lot, but it’s actually less than what I would typically see in 時をかける少女. The amount of unfamiliar vocab was on par (one page is probably not enough to judge this, though). Surprisingly, I didn’t find the lack of furigana that big of an obstacle – although it may change if I start doing more lookups. Overall, from all the books I currently have (I bought it on a whim a month ago), this one definitely seems like something I may be able to read. I’m still a bit uncertain whether I’ll like it, but I’m willing to give it a try.
  • コンビニエンスストア様 – read probably around a page? This story has an interesting style, but feels way too hard right now.
  • 星の王子さま – read a couple pages (including pictures, so not so much text). Seems like a possibility, so I’ll probably buy a physical version to read next.
21 Likes