📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2022 🏖 ☀

July 17 :blossom: Home Post

I read chapter 16 of 海辺(うみべ)のカフカ which was certainly a time. It was pretty easy language-wise, just… not in any other way :sweat_smile: I’m caught up with the week’s reading though so yay :laughing:

I also played a little バディミッションBOND! I was pretty tired by then so not a lot, just a fun little side story but it was a good time as always :grin:

Lmao yayyy I’m so glad!! Any time I play it I promptly lose my entire mind and have to dump my feelings somewhere so I’m glad they’re enjoyable :joy:

Omg these screenshots, Monkeys is wild :joy: I love the energy of her using わがはい haha

Ahhhh congrats, that’s super awesome!! It looks like a really fun series, I’ll definitely have to try to get it in the future :grin:

Omg that’s so powerful, congrats! I’ve heard that series thrown around too, I’ll have to look into it :eyes:

24 Likes

today was a beautiful day, and i went for a bit of a hike ^^ saw a bearded vulture soaring in an updraft, they are quite rare, that made me happy. and it was the first walk since i caught covid that i’d actually qualify as a hike, which is progress.

then i had a tense discussion, almost an argument, on a complicated subject. which made me less happy.

and then i read the last few chapters of Kase-san, which made me very happy ^^ Yamada publicly called Kase her girlfriend! which make Kase very happy. and they went of a trip together for christmas, which had plenty of cute moments. and then, while they were admiring the christmas lights, Yamada told Kase that she’d like to live together with her.

so if the Kase-san series ends here, i’m happy ^^ and if there’s another volume (in another 2 years? :sweat_smile: ) i’ll look forward to them moving in together ^^

and now it’s super late, and i need to go to bed. おやすみ^^

22 Likes

Home

I read 金なし白祿, the fifth story in 竜のかわいい七つの子. It’s about famous but impoverished painter Takagawa Byakuroku whose works are so lifelike that, if he completes them, they’ll walk right off the page, so he only fills in a single pupil of the humans and creatures that he paints. He finds a cheap forgery of one of his wall scrolls and brings the man inside to life, enlisting him and his horse to help him find his previous paintings so that he can bring the mythical creatures he’d painted to life and sell them (or in the case of the dragon, one of its scales). He doesn’t have enough supplies to paint new pictures, but he can do this. It’s really good.

And today I learn that I won’t be able to delete imiwa, as Shirabe Jisho doesn’t include Unicode, which I needed to get 祿, as it’s one outdated kanji that my laptop’s IME won’t let me type. I had to insert it into a Google Doc with the Insert Special Character and then copy and paste it. I know you’re supposed to be able to type with Unicode without having to jump through all the hoops, but I can’t figure it out.

I started 2.43 ch 2-1 SPLIT, reading 2 pages and leaving off on pg 146.

But first I went back over a scene in 1-6 that I didn't quite understand and was still in my head.

(Which also led to me starting an only tangentially related fic lmao)

There’s a part near the end where Ochi lowers his head into hands, and my first thought was that they were Subaru’s, but then I was like, no, no, it would make more sense if they were his own, right? Well.

When Subaru leads Ochi outside to talk to him, Ochi sinks to his knees on the ground while Subaru sits on the steps in front of him, arms resting on his thighs and hands clasped loosely between his knees. Kabei-sensei expressly mentions that, like this, Ochi’s eye line is level with Subaru’s knees. After they talk (about Subaru wanting Ochi to keep saying, “Make me a manager at HaruKou’s center court,” and Ochi not understanding why and his difficulty in saying it over and over), Ochi leans forward and rests his forehead on Subaru’s hands, and Subaru tells him softly to say it, and he does (plus more, like that cheering them on from the bench at center court is his dream), and he doesn’t lift his head until after that, and I am losing my mind. Not even because I ship them or anything (though, yeah, that too), but I love how soft and open and vulnerable they let themselves be with each other. I know it’s at least partly a cultural difference, that toxic masculinity is mostly a Western construction, yada yada, but it’s still nice!!

And now I’m remembering that I don’t think in the anime Subaru ever called Ochi a crybaby after that time before this when he did and then immediately backtracked and apologized, and then Ochi told him that he can sway whatever he wants about him, he doesn’t care. Maybe in ep 12, though? That’s the only time Ochi cries in the anime aside from that flashback to their meeting at the hospital during first year. But he cries here and Subaru teases him a bit about being a crybaby, and Ochi gets a bit sullenly defensive but only says “ち、ちゃうわ.” But yeah mostly he doesn’t acknowledge it and just lets him cry, doesn’t get annoyed at him or anything, continues the conversation since Ochi’s completely capable of continuing too. The biggest deal he makes of it (though it still can’t even be called that) is in ep 12 when Ochi tries to get him to cry after their loss but he still feels like he can’t. Ochi tells him that he won’t cry until he does, pretending that he himself isn’t already.

Anyway.

Since we open up with sort of a recap of the origin of the reading of Yuni’s name, I think this is the first time a name hasn’t gotten furigana on its first appearance in a chapter in this series. But anyway he’s daydreaming about volleyball (and how he may not be able to reach the universe like his name means, but he feels like he could reach the ceiling in the gym if he jumps with all his might) while hanging up a sign over the bulletin board in his classroom for the upcoming cultural festival, since he’s the tallest in his class. He’s using shiny gold thumbtacks, which made him think of stars, and thus the universe and the origin of his name’s reading, and also the lights in a gymnasium, and thus volleyball. This boy’s so ADHD. (Same tho.) And it seems Haijima, who usually goes to the club room as soon as class lets out, also got roped into hanging stuff over the bulletin board in his class due to being the tallest one lol

The next subchapter is called CHILDHOOD FRIEND, so I hope that means we’ll get more of Yuni and Chika as kiddos. I’ve still got a bit to go before I can find out, though.

Some vocab of note:

面相筆 (めんそうふで) [noun] fine-point brush
天涯孤独 (てんがいこどく) [四字熟語, noun] a person without a single relative
心を躍らせる (こころをおどらせる) [expression, 一] to get excited

18 Likes

Hmm, if you’re usually not into romance, this might not be for you :thinking: I picked it up because Naphthalene enjoyed it, it was on sale and I like the cover page. I’ll refer to what Nafu wrote about it, even tho they decided not to pick up the second book:

I’m not sure I can completely agree about it having a satisfying ending xD I was more like "nuu?! But I want MOAR D: "

The other books/series I’m planning to read takes me way longer to finish (Kusuriya, Honzuki), so I figured I might as well continue with this one if I can nyoom through it. Just 2-3 weeks until uni starts up again.

19 Likes

:green_heart: Home :green_heart:

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険 doujin :sweat_smile: ~130 pages

I was working on my library catalogue and got distracted. I realized that I can finally read some books that I had trouble when I first bought. They’re a lot easier now and as you can tell from the page count, I got really distracted. To be fair, quite a few of those pages were low on the text content, but still :sweat_smile: It was nice to figure out some things though. Maybe next time I do a binge like this, I’ll be able to read the fanfic ones just as easily.

23 Likes

:house:
18th of July

Read page 111 to page 113 (31%) of かがみの孤城. I also found out today that もの久保, an illustrator whose art I love and am using for my pfp, passed away in January :cry:. That was like months ago… ご冥福を祈りします…
I read a bunch of Japanese articles about that, so I suppose that counts as reading too??

24 Likes

Home post

REDC
Week 3
:confetti_ball: 1 0 0 % :confetti_ball:

July 16
Monster Hunter World

July 17
Monster Hunter World

Haven’t read today yet so I’ll update later but these last two days I’ve been playing Monster Hunter World. My cousin and I used to play a lot together when we were kids and we were super into monster hunter. We had both played MH World our separate ways before so it’s not the first time, but we talked not long ago about starting a new character together soon so we could play after so many years. Holy, we’re binging this thing like crazy :joy: :joy: . Which was expected to happen but we both joked naively about it.

So I also started a character for myself for when we couldn’t play together because honestly, I’m extremely hooked, but also because I want to play the game in Japanese as well and I can’t play it in JP with him because I don’t want to be a slow burden to us both. I’m having way too much fun with this, this game is terrific.

Other than that, I think I’ve decided not to track time spent on things anymore. That must be the 234987th time I change opinions in this challenge so far :joy: . Sometimes it’s quite an inconvenience because, like these two last days, I don’t even know how to quantify what I do sometimes. I’ve watched multiple MH youtube videos and I can’t be bothered to sum them all up, I don’t think it really matters. At the end of the day the time spent doing immersion will pay off the same, counting or not. So eh, might as well get rid of the not so fun things. The first week that I saw what I did in total kinda motivated me a bit, but I don’t think it did the next two weeks until today. I might still keep track of easily quantifiable things (like page or character numbers) for the daily posts, but I don’t think I’ll sum them all up for the Sunday ones.

20 Likes

I read to the end of Spy Family volume 1 today - about 20 pages, I need to read over it properly, but got the gist. I did go back over the first 2 pages of this, will try to finish the rest in the next couple of days.

20 Likes

Rejoice, for volume 6 just came out.

I’m glad you enjoy that series!

8 Likes

Ahhh got it. Indeed probably not something I could satisfactorily binge, but I will keep the knowledge in my back pocket for anyone who asks for satisfying romance reccs :slight_smile:

5 Likes

:spiral_calendar: Day 17: July 17th :beach_umbrella: :dolphin:

spacer:rabbit2: ご注文はうさぎですか? Complete Blend Volume 1 (49% ➨ 49%)

spacer:ninja:t2: くノ一ツバキの胸の内 Volume 3 (0% ➨ 20%)

spacer:tangerine: orange Volume 1 (29% ➨ 52%)

spacer:mag: 名探偵コナン Volume 10 (77% ➨ 80%)

21 Likes

Small package just arrived today

28 Likes

I love how beautiful Japanese books are. I’ve never minded reading on screen but I find myself buying physical copies of everything Japanese; even the English translations of Japanese novels are just somehow prettier. These all look so enticing! I love my editions of しろくまカフェ but yours is even more adorable.

12 Likes

The しろくまカフェ one is from a new series called しろくまカフェ Today’s Special. They just released a new volume this month.

9 Likes

How exciting - will check it out.

1 Like

Today I managed to read 5 pages of よつばと! before I reached my quota of 10 new words or expressions.

Some things I learned

因みに (ちなみに): by the way
等 (など): pluralizing suffix
確り (しっかり): strong, solid, reliable
消える (きえる): to disappear
ちゃった: did completely
捜する (さがする): to search for
らしい: seeming, appearing
注意 (ちゅうい): attention, care, warning
ずいぶん: terrible, remarkable, extraordinary
かわった: strange, abnormal

I very much look forward to the day when I can read more fluently AND accurately. The grammatical constructions, in particular, really slow me down. I’ve been using Bunpro in addition to my weekly Japanese classes, and the struggle to understand and produce grammatically correct sentences is my biggest hurdle right now (I regularly score under 80% on my Bunpro reviews). I think reading + watching media is the most effective way for me to practice and reinforce, but it’s slow! I have fantasies of being in an immersion environment for just a little while so I can encounter things more often in everyday life.

21 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Beach Resort: Date 20220718 :beach_umbrella: :raccoon:

Tanuki Scroll of ウプサラ大学 :sweden:

Decided to let ウィキちゃん choose what I read today and do some Random Article surfing (or おまかせ表示 on the JP-Wiki menu) so today’s reading is about - Uppsala universitet… of all things.

:beach_umbrella: Japanese found in the sand :beach_umbrella:

Learnthings

北欧「ほくおう」ー Northern Europe; Nordic countries; Scandinavia
産学「さんがく」ー Industry university; industry academics
積極的「せっきょくてき」ー Positive; assertive; proactive
数多く「かずおおく」ー In great numbers
材料科学「ざいりょうかがく」ー Materials science
国連事務総長「こくれんじむそうちょう」ー Secretary-General of the United Nations

22 Likes

Wow, did you find that in Yotsuba? (I’m seriously impressed)

Small fix (if I may): This verb is 捜す (which happens to conjugate similarly / in some cases identically to する-verbs)

(EDIT: fixed wrong kanji copy-paste, sorry for any confusion!)

3 Likes

Ah yes, thanks!; I can see now that it is -す rather than -する; the -して formulation had me confused. But the kanji in the text is 捜 rather than 探, and it took me a full 10 minutes of tedious searching to find it in Jisho (granted, I’m not very good at kanji searches). It redirects to 探, though, as the more common kanji.

I think both this and 等 are meant to demostrate Fuuka’s cutely pretentious language. It is a bit trying to interpret, but as someone who was always accused of talking like a dictionary when I was a child, I find it endearing.

2 Likes

Oh, sorry, my fault! Copy-pasted too quickly…

Oh, I see, now that makes sense. :+1:

2 Likes