📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2022 🏖 ☀

September 30th

Last day of the September bonus challenge! Thats 9 months of me reading every day :muscle:

Today I read Chapter 24 of Happiness. It was an interesting chapter with a big story development. I was a little tempted to read the next chapter as its the final one in this volume, but I don’t want to get ahead of the club.

(Home Post)

End of September Summary: 100%

Sep
01 02 03 04
05 06 07 08 09 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30

Books Completed

Happiness - Volume 4
Orange - Volume 2
Mitsuboshi Colors - Volume 4
Flying Witch - Volume 1

Thats another 4 books completed this month, bringing my total for the last 9 months to 40, which is a nice round number and so much more than I every though I could achieve.

As always, thank you to @windupbird for organising these challenges, and to everyone for keeping me motivated with your updates - I love reading about everyones progress and achievements every day.

Onward to the Fall Challenge!

17 Likes

:butterfly: Home :butterfly:

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険 48

I read a little at work and I had just assumed it was more than one page but apparently not…

おじさまと(ねこ) 6

start - 28

I’m starting to get a little obsessive over the idea of finishing what I have of this series so that I can get rid of it already :sweat_smile: It’s not that I don’t enjoy it either, it’s just with having built my new bookshelf and arranging everything, I’ve found that I still don’t want to find it a home in my apartment. I want to be free of it and the stack of magazines it’s been living on.

It was nice though after reading so much JoJo to go back to something so much easier to read. Comparatively, it’s a breeze. The fact it’s that uplifting kind of genre is nice too, it mostly gives me the warm fuzzies.

Well, now that today is October 1st, I’ll work on drafting up a post mortem with stats later.

19 Likes

Weirdly, given how many people super like Name of the Wind, it’s one of the few fantasy books where I just kinda stopped in the middle and never restarted reading. It’s not even really that I disliked it; it’s still sitting in my to-read pile with a bookmark halfway through it…

3 Likes

Saves you the heartache of a series that feels like it will never finish, at least! I think it was more towards the end that it really gripped me though. It was something of a slow burn for me before I really liked it.

3 Likes

2022-10-01T01:24:00Z

This is the first challenge that I’ve done without skipping a day. :partying_face: :confetti_ball: This week, I’ve been reading anisongs lyrics. I especially took notice of kanji that I recently learnt on WaniKani.

14 Likes

september 30 :sunflower: home post

Ending September with 夜カフェ2 (finished ch. 5) and finally, finally returning to 時のオカリナ :smiley:

Summer 2022 Challenge Recap

Here’s all the books I completed these last 3 months:

Book Type Completed
夜カフェ1 Children’s Book July 13
極主夫道5 Manga July 20
しろくまカフェ1 Manga July 21
極主夫道6 Manga August 28
シャドウハウス1 Manga September 3
極主夫道7 Manga September 28
耳をすませば Manga September 28
Plans for Autumn 2022

My goal is to finish two books in October and two in November (and then two in December, although that’s technically the break month). Here’s what I’ll be reading:

• Sticking with the usual: 極主夫道、夜カフェ、シャドーハウス
  • Like I said above, I’m back to reading 時のオカリナ. I want to finish that book and one other Zelda manga in the next challenge. I’m thinking either 4つの剣 or… whatever it is the Oracle games are called in Japanese, I always forget
  • I’m going to join the Intermediate Book Club with their next book :smiley:
18 Likes

:spiral_calendar: Day 92: September 30th :deciduous_tree: :leaves:

spacer:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: からかい上手の高木さん Volume 8 (66% ➨ 76%)

spacer:girl: からかい上手の(元)高木さん Volume 7 (88% ➨ 100%)

spacer:bust_in_silhouette: シャドーハウス Volume 1 (38% ➨ 63%)

The biggest issue for me would probably be the small(ish) resolution for the e-manga.

The important thing is always to get to that first page. It’s always easier to keep going, versus starting something.

17 Likes

Home

I read the first 2 chapters of HQ vol 30. I really wish I had started reading earlier, because I really wanna finish this game!

In non-reading news, I watched the first two eps of Old Fashioned Cupcake. I’d hoped Viki would have JP subs, but unfortunately they don’t. I probably still would have watched with ENG subs first, though.

Some vocab of note:

立体的 (りったいてき) [な-adj.] three-dimensional

At the beginning of this month, it had been looking like I would finish at least 30 books this September (even one per day!), but that ended up not happening. But 25 is still good! That’s 1 more than last month, and the most JP manga I’ve finished in a month thus far this year (tied with the amount of ENG manga I read in February).

13 Likes

September 30 :blossom: Home Post

Oh no the new challenge starts tomorrow, I’m not ready :joy: today was a weird day so just counting in-class reading again, it’s been an interesting time lately lmao

12 Likes

@pm215 @MrGeneric I pretty much got into it from the prologue on. But if that hadn’t sold me then I would have been sold by this: (pm215 I think you should have gotten to this part, but I read Name of the Wind in 2019 so I’m not sure) when Kvothe’s parents die, but the description of Kvothe’s grief in the forest was so 感動 that I still vaguely remember it to this day. (I don’t have a great memory for details.)

I have physical, so not a problem for me. But I can totally see how that would be a challenge.

So true! :pensive: Definitely been part of the reason I read so little this month.

7 Likes

I cheated and just added myself to the list because I never officially joined the whole time even though I checked in with a few updates here and there. I know I didn’t read every single day of this challenge, but I finished a whopping 24 books although all but one were manga.

Since it’s already the start of the fall challenge, I’d like to at least list which books I read this time around.

Summer Challenge Completed List

orange 1
極主夫道 1
夜カフェ 1
極主夫道 2
極主夫道 3
銀の匙 Silver Spoon 1
銀の匙 Silver Spoon 2
銀の匙 Silver Spoon 3
極主夫道 4
極主夫道 5
D・N・ANGEL 第1巻
D・N・ANGEL 第2巻
D・N・ANGEL 第3巻
極主夫道 6
D・N・ANGEL 第4巻
シャドーハウス 1
ポケットモンスタースペシャル 2
orange 2
ポケットモンスタースペシャル 3
ポケットモンスタースペシャル 4
ポケットモンスタースペシャル 5
極主夫道 7
ポケットモンスタースペシャル 6
シャドーハウス 2

19 Likes

Yo, that’s awesome though! 24 is a lot

8 Likes

Yeah! It for sure feels nice looking back at the list of completed works. :slight_smile: Summer vacation certainly helped contribute to that amount too, lol. A little sad to admit it, but not taking the extra time to post every single day probably helped somewhat too. :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

I had a quick look back at my completed books.

I think I finished 7 overall - only 4 were read completely within the challenge.

Orange volumes 1 and 2
シャドーハウス volumes 1 and 2

I also finished
夜カフェ volume 1
The ABBC prefectures book
Spy x Family volume 1

Oh and a good part of my reading was Tugumi with the IBC - yet to be finished!

16 Likes

Checking in for the completion of the Summer Challenge!

Home Post

Overall I missed 1 day in July, 2 days in August and 0 days in September!

Finished books:

• :jack_o_lantern:   詩的私的ジャック (with the S&M book club)
  • :tangerine:   orange vol. 1 (with MissDagger‘s book club)
  • :pirate_flag:   Flesh&Blood Vol. 2 (with the F&B club, finished Aug 14th)
  • :beach_umbrella:   海辺のカフカ(上) (with the Advanced book club, finished Aug 16th)
  • :pirate_flag:   Flesh&Blood Vol. 3 (with the F&B club, finished Aug 28th)
  • :pirate_flag:   Flesh&Blood Vol. 4 (with the F&B club, finished Sept 18th)

Stats

In July, I read 640 pages, in August I got to 673 pages, but in September this dropped to 496 pages. These were exclusively novels and light novels, no manga. (I read one manga and some French, but these are only included in the time charts, not in the page charts.)

Pages read per day

Reading split up by books

July:

August:

September:

18 Likes

Hi!

I only just discovered that Zelda has manga (of course it does) and here I am since it appears that Zelda manga hasn’t been done in any of the book clubs.

I’m looking at getting the two complete editions of OOT and MM. They look like really nice books and I’m pretty excited about attempting to read them.

Did you end up finishing OOT? How was it? It’s meant to be for kids so should I expect it to be OKish to read?

6 Likes

I haven’t finished it (about halfway through the complete edition) but I like it so far! Haven’t read MM yet, I will once I finish OOT! I’d imagine it’s about the same difficulty as OOT.

If you get the complete edition of MM, that also comes with ALTTP I believe, which I’ve also read and enjoyed! OOT has been mostly true to the original story so far, but ALTTP had to take a lot of liberties to expand the story, and it ended up with some weird pacing. But I liked it for the most part!

Here’s the Natively page: ゼルダの伝説 時のオカリナ 上 | L25 but right now it’s skewed because I’m the only one who’s graded it so take this grading with a grain of salt.

I don’t think the sentences are too complex, but the grammar difficulty shifts around based on what character’s talking (I have a note in my alttp vocab sheet that says something like “oh god zelda’s talking again”). This series is what made me realize that I really needed to step up my grammar studying!

Also, some characters use some dated/archaic/fantasy terms. I’m sure Japanese kids know these terms, but as an L2 speaker I was a bit overwhelmed when I first tried to read ALTTP. OOT has been easier for me, but just because it’s my second Zelda manga and I’ve read a lot more books in general since then, not because it’s actually easier.

Yes!! I have the complete editions for oot, four swords, and the oracle games, and they all look so pretty! Every time I see that green OOT cover with the shiny gold title, I get inspired to read! (now I really want to read but I have exams)

6 Likes

Thanks for your reply. We’ll see how it all goes.

I just started reading manga (reading Takagi-San right now) so I know it will be an uphill battle.

I’m surprised no one has done Zelda or Mario manga in the book clubs but I guess Japanese
is pretty niche so it seems hit and miss. That won’t stop me from trying!

7 Likes
There's this one long-running Mario manga.

Before reading the first volume, I wondered if it might be good for ABBC.

I found much of the humor to be juvenile.

And many words are written without kanji.

I decided fairly quickly that this is not one I’d be nominating.

4 Likes