📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2022 🏖 ☀

Summary post

This isn’t really a proper update, but I got a few books in the mail last week, and didn’t have time to talk about them until now.

I’m not sure how interested other folks will be in these, especially the top two. They’re both essentially designed to teach highly specific English vocabulary to Japanese speakers :sweat_smile:. But as it turns out, they also work in reverse, although perhaps not quite as well (you definitely need to know kanji, at least. There isn’t furigana).

Here are some descriptions of each book as well as some photos:

世界が広がる 推し活英語

This book teaches fandom-related vocabulary and slang. The vast majority of it is a glossary. It also has some examples of letters you could write to people that you are a fan of, set up in parallel text format. There is free audio accompaniment! I tried it out, and it reads the English word, the Japanese word, the English sentence, and the Japanese sentence.

新日本プロレス英語入門

This book was made by New Japan Pro Wrestling to teach wrestling-related vocabulary. It has lots of sections, including a glossary, profiles of wrestlers, and interviews in a parallel text format. It also has audio accompaniment, though I haven't tried it out because I'm assuming it's mostly just English audio of the wrestler interviews. Read this book to find out how to say useful phrases like "Boris Johnson ruined my G1" in Japanese. If you don't watch wrestling, you might get a kick out of some of the more bizarre words in the glossary, like "babyface" and "bump", which have very specific meanings in wrestling.

小説 ミラーさん -みんなの日本語初級シリーズ-

This is a fairly popular beginner novel written in the Minna no Nihongo universe, which is intended to be easily readable after you complete MNN 1 and 2. I bought it because I thought I'd read it after finishing the textbook so that I can experience what it's like to read a novel in Japanese without having to do any look-ups (theoretically).

365日にっぽんのいろ図鑑

I bought this one thanks to this challenge thread! Or, well, thanks to the winter one, at least. This is a book with 365 Japanese colors, each corresponding to a day of the year. It's absolutely gorgeous, though there's loads of unknown vocab, so I'm not planning on reading it in the near future. It might be the beginning of 2024 by the time I get around to it, honestly.

A month or so ago, I also bought Read Real Japanese: Fiction, which was discussed in an earlier thread. Here’s Tofugu’s review of it. This book looks awesome, and I’m excited to eventually read it, though I’m holding off until my Japanese is a little better because I feel like I’ll get more out of it then. I’m most excited about the translation section at the back which talks in detail about why it made the translation choices that it did.

Here are some photos of that book:

The two English lesson books are pretty readable/usable at my current level, so I’m probably going to dive into those as I have time between my other reading commitments. No plans currently to SRS any of the new vocab from those, though the NJPW book is already helping me figure out how to translate a lot of words I encounter in TJPW, which are already in my Anki deck.

Both of those books are handy because they define a lot of subculture-specific vocabulary that I encounter all the time on social media and during immersion and such, which often aren’t included in Yomichan’s dictionaries.

26 Likes