📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2022 🏖 ☀

:spiral_calendar: Day 16: July 16th :swimming_man: :shark:

spacer:male_detective:t3: SPY×FAMILY Volume 1 (87% ➨ 99%)

spacer:plunger: スーパーマリオくん Volume 1 (18% ➨ 21%)

spacer:rabbit2: ご注文はうさぎですか? Complete Blend Volume 1 (48% ➨ 49%)

🔍 名探偵コナン Volume 10 (56% ➨ 77%)

The upside to having read (much of) Detective Conan in English is that it makes it easier to follow what’s happening if I’m having trouble with some grammar or don’t want to look up too many words.

The downside is I often (not always) remember who the culprit is and how they pulled off the crime.

But then there’s the upside that I get to see all the clues as they come up.

As for today’s reading, I encountered this right away:

I created an Anki card for 念のため just the other day, as I countered it in ごちうさ:

And I happened to see it in-between these instances as well:

At first, this looks like typical frequency bias. I learn something, then I notice how much it’s used.

However, this expression is actually fairly uncommon in what I read.

Out of all the manga I’ve read these past few years and indexed for easy text search, 念のため came up a total of 11 times (prior to this week).

For it to then come up four times across at most a week certainly beats the odds.

I probably wouldn’t even have noticed if I hadn’t created an Anki card for it. I almost didn’t create the card, but ended up deciding to do so, just in case.

And speaking of cases, the villain for the case I finished reading today has, I think, the best design and setting from what I’ve seen in this series. (I’ve read the first 67 volumes in English before.)

The contours of his face, the large nervous eyes, and the setting of a multistory library building in the dark of night work in his favor, artistically.

It’s also rare to get an art situation like this in this series, as most cases don’t reveal who the guilty party is until the end.

22 Likes