📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2022 🏖 ☀

September 10 :blossom: Home Post

Bare minimum kinda day unfortunately, just snuck a bit of 跡を消す before bed. I wanna pick up stein’s;gate again, I think getting sucked into another VN is what I need :joy:

16 Likes

:butterfly: Home :butterfly:

岸辺露伴(きしべろはん)(うご)かない 1

59 - 60

Hey same story as yesterday- I was tired as shit. Wake me up when September ends

15 Likes

Sep 11, Sun of Week 11 of Summer :beach_umbrella: 2022

I finished Happiness Vol.5 in about an hour. I didn’t look up much, even if I didn’t restrict myself from looking up in a dictionary. I simply don’t need to.

The suspense is nice, but I don’t feel I need to continue too further than the club, for now.

Finished reading HUNTER x HUNTER Vol.5 just now, and kept confusing カギ (with ガキ). It’s a little further than my current anime watching.

15 Likes

I had a similar thing when reading kindaichi. Tbf they used both in the text quickly after another.

4 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Falling Leaf Party: Date 20220911 :fallen_leaf: :raccoon:

吾輩は狸である progress: 22.38% :raccoon:

Found a tanuki in the wild:
タヌキだよ

:chestnut: Japanese found within the acorns :chestnut:

Meowords

譫語「せんご」ー Talking in a delirium
千鳥「ちどり」ー Plover (bird)

17 Likes

September 11th

Today I read the next chapter of Teasing Master Takagi-san and then finished Volume 4 of Mitsuboshi Colors.
Both were cute, but Mitsuboshi Colors was especially funny this week. I kept laughing every few panels and distracting my husband :grin:

(Home Post)

15 Likes

Home post :bookmark: September :books:

Sep 9: Spice & Wolf (16 → 17%)
Sep 10: Spice & Wolf (17 → 18%)
Sep 11: Spice & Wolf (18 → 20%) + Loopers part 9 of youtube playlist

So I finished week 2 of spicy wolf book club :eyes: Now I can check out thread :3
(I might have yet to check out Honzuki thread since I finished book 10? :thinking: )

18 Likes

September 9-11 :heavy_check_mark: :ocean:

Tugumi, chapters 11 and 12 (completed :tada:)
Grammar :いうまでもない, 以下、以外, いかなる

Finished Tugumi. I have mixed feelings about it. I sort of expected the ending, but it didn’t satisfy me (although I’m not sure what would). I did enjoy the journey, though. Some of the narrator’s descriptions felt as if they were taken from my own memories, some of her observations seemed like my own thoughts. I read Kitchen so many years ago, I remember nothing at all from the plot (there was a beach scene I think? That’s as far as my memory goes). What I do remember, however, was that again, even if I had little in common with the characters or their circumstances, they felt as intimately familiar as Maria did in this book. There’s something about the way Yoshimoto writes that just resonates with me, I suppose. Still, the book as a whole felt a little underwhelming - and included a chapter I would prefer not to have read, even though it was important to the plot. But that’s neither here nor there, and has more to do with my own sensitivities.

17 Likes

:heartbeat: :books: September 11 :books: :heartbeat:
(home post)

耳をすませば :heartbeat: page 0 → 30 (30 pages)

When in doubt, start a new book? BBC just started a new manga that I planned to read along with, as I mentioned yesterday. I think this is probably the easiest read I’ve had in a while/ever. Less than 1 look up per page, actually probably only one lookup every few pages. I don’t think I’ve read anything this easy.

That was surprising and nice. I look forward to having that easy read every week from now. Hopefully, it doesn’t have a difficulty spike later. I quite enjoyed being able to only look something up every so often. 夜カフェ would probably fall close to this low difficulty if it had less onomatopoeia that really helps give life to the text. But alas it does not.

So I think the difficulty of the clubs I’m in go 耳をすませば → 夜カフェ → Orange → ルーパーズ. Although emotionally Orange is definitely the one pulling the heartstrings the strongest and the most often.

19 Likes

:spiral_calendar: Day 72: September 10th :volleyball: :sun_with_face:

spacer:sparkles: キラキラ100% Volume 3 (95% ➨ 100%)

spacer:plunger: スーパーマリオくん Volume 1 (74% ➨ 79%)

I’ve reached my 2021 number of manga volumes read (62 volumes) as I’ve completed my 62nd volume for this year. However, five of those from last year were omnibus (300 to 350 pages) releases, and some of this year’s were short volumes (around 140 to 150 pages), so if I tracked by page count I’d probably find I’m not there just yet.

17 Likes

岸辺露伴(きしべろはん)(うご)かない 1

61 - 122

Read much more this time. There’s something I love about Rohan’s asshole energy. “Woe is me, I had to sell off my possessions, even my Sailor Moon figs. I don’t have a place to work or even a desk, I’m staying at a high schooler’s house.” (don’t feel bad for him, there are minimal steps he could have taken to prevent this, including accepting help.) “All I have is a mountain and people are offering money to develop it into a resort (or build a road to it, I can’t quite tell).” Editor: “you only have a mountain that you bought for investment and you won’t sell it?” Rohan: “yes.” Confusion shows on editor’s face. Rohan: “Oi oi oi oi” What an obnoxious jerk.

This is probably one of my favorite Rohan spinoff stories, but I like the ideas in most of them. The beginning was a bit tedious to read (I blame Rohan), but it’s otherwise a much smoother and pleasant read than The Confessional.

I’m looking forward to the next story because it has Izumi as Rohan’s editor and whatever her flaws, I adore her. The last story left in volume 1 is the only one in this volume that hasn’t been animated or made into a live action. It’s about Rohan and Tonio fishing. I want to finish both stories today, but we’ll see how it goes.

19 Likes

It was a busy weekend so I didn’t make much of a dent in Spy Room, but before bed I read the prologue of 無職転生, the first 8 volumes are free on Kindle Unlimited. I needed something to read on my phone because I can’t always take out my physical books. So while I normally don’t like juggling books, this seems to be the way things need to be for the time being. Spy Room has been fun but I feel I don’t have a firm grasp of whats happening at any given time, there will be big gaps in the pages that indicate a scene change, however its not always clear to me how the scene is changing. Are we in a new place? Conversation? Event?

Generally, I am just kind of reading through it and not putting too much care into it as I can’t look up words as easily as Kindle (reader/app). Its become more or less just a test of my knowledge without any aides. I liked the 無職転生 anime, so I am interested to read it. Now that I know what to expect pacing wise for a LN vs Anime, I am more open to just reading and not feeling like “OH I could get this out of the way by watching the anime.” Which did happen with 青ブタ because the anime legit covers everything in the span of 2 or 3 episodes, it just didn’t make sense to read after the first couple volumes.

That being said in my time where I can’t read, I am listening to the audio books for the 青ブタ books I skipped on Audible to see what I can catch on my walks home. Once I get more reading from 無職転生 done I can start the audiobook for that too. I wish the series came in Bunko size because that particular publisher makes their books huge, so as much as I’d like to own that and Shield Hero, theres just no room on my shelf. They’re also expensive. Its like twice the price for the same amount of content, just in bigger font and format. But that’s a tangent for another time.

TL;DR Did I read over the weekend? Yes. Was it enough? No. Will I make up for it throughout the week? Probably.

18 Likes

Home

I don’t know if I actually managed to nap or not (be nice if I was able to, but I can’t tell), but I did lie in bed with my eyes closed for a few hours today after work because I’m exhausted, both physically and sleepy-wise. I did still read some though, not just because I want to read every day, but also because I really wanna know what happens next in HQ!

I finished vol 23. For once, we don’t end a volume in the middle of a match! やっぱ、戸美(のへび)が大嫌い。 I was happy to get back to Karasuno for a chapter at the end. Also, I’m dying, the 体育祭の番外編 is hilarious asdfghjkl And the prince of the tennis club is named 王子山 英雄. I don’t think sensei even went that hard with the naming of any of the main-series characters.

I also picked up おうちでごはん and read the first chapter, which is even less than it sounds like because each chapter is only 8 pgs long. The first volume has 17. Still slightly annoyed by the “zero furigana, even on names” thing. I have no idea how to read 米田. Is it こめた? こめだ? Something else? 鴨川 too I’m not sure if the 川 rendakus or not. (I’m leaning toward yes, but no doesn’t feel wrong either?) Anyway, I haven’t gotten past what Bookwalker has as a preview for it yet, as that goes into (or finishes at the end of?) ch 2.

Some vocab of note:

ぶっつけ本番 (ぶっつけほんばん) [noun, の-adj.] performing without rehearsal
闇雲 (やみくも) [noun, な-adj.] reckless; at random; haphazard; blind; sudden; abrupt. Not what I woulda guessed lol
思いがけない (おもいがけない) [い-adj.] unexpected; contrary to expectations; by chance; casual
団栗の背比べ (どんぐりのせいくらべ) [expression, noun] having very little difference between one another; being more or less the same; height comparison among acorns. pointless competition between two equally unimpressive parties; pissing contest.

18 Likes

September 11 :blossom: Home Post

I continue to be busy with other things, but got in a bit of 跡を消す anyway! The ongoing state of things I suppose :man_shrugging: Regardless, I’m still getting something every day so I’ll take that as a victory.

18 Likes

:spiral_calendar: Day 73: September 11th :leaves: :shaved_ice:

spacer:bust_in_silhouette: シャドーハウス Volume 1 (0% ➨ 15%)
spacer:chipmunk: ヒビキのマホウ Volume 1 (31% ➨ 41%)
spacer:plunger: スーパーマリオくん Volume 1 (79% ➨ 89%)

Although I’m trying to read through some of the series I don’t touch as much, I figure I’ve made enough progress to add ななか into the rotation.

spacer :eyeglasses: ななか 6⁄17 (1) Volume 1 (0% ➨ 25%)

19 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Falling Leaf Party: Date 20220912 :fallen_leaf: :raccoon:

吾輩は狸である progress: 23.27% :speech_balloon:

It’s quite hard keeping up with who is saying what when there’s more than two talking.

:chestnut: Japanese found within the acorns :chestnut:

Meowords

口気「こうき」ー Bad breath; intimation
猫背「ねこぜ」ー Bent back; stoop
讒訴「ざんそ」ー False charges; slander
丁髷「ちょんまげ」ー Topknot (traditional haircut, like samurai had)
永年「ながねん」ー Long time; many years (also: 長年)

16 Likes

September 12th!

Today I started reading 耳をすませば with the BBC. Not a huge amount has happened so far, since we are only reading half of Chapter 1 this week but I’m definitely interested in the concept.

(Home Post)

16 Likes

9月12日
ルーパーズ

Back on the horse again. I really needed these couple of weeks to rest and take care of some important events. It wasn’t actually a total break, I still did some bits here and there but no “proper” study. Though I still feel a bit without energy, I think I feel prepared to resume Japanese again. I have a lot of ルーパーズ to catch up :stuck_out_tongue: .

I think I mentioned it in my last post, but I don’t feel at all like tracking time or any sort of progress that could potentially put pressure on my study right now. I’m still mining vocabulary, but I stopped checking how fast or slow I read, how much I do or anything else. I don’t think those things are particularly useful to me overall. I’m in complete “enjoy yourself freely while still making it study” mode, hopefully perpetually, but at least until I’m able to recover a bit more energy and I can add listening again and so on. I also want to resume learning grammar in a more focused manner at some point soon, like I’ve seen some of you do recently.

I dislike these low energy phases a lot, especially with how much my mind tries to weigh me down, but it’s good to be back at least!

17 Likes

That was fun! I’m desperately slow, though (235/min on 高3 and 201 on 大学生)
I love that the recommendation is “you should read a bit, even just a little!” That’s depressing :sweat_smile: (since it means I’ll never get better… which I already knew I guess)

9 Likes

岸辺露伴(きしべろはん)(うご)かない 1

123 - 170

Still tired as crap, but doing a bit better this morning. Not yesterday though. Yesterday was all sorts of blurgh.

I read the whole Millionaire’s Village episode though. I really enjoyed it. I happened to pick out a lot of recently learned/seen words in it and remembered their meanings, so that was really satisfying! It was also fun to see Izumi beat Rohan at his own game of intrigue by getting him interested in a mysterious topic, since usually his shtick to say something odd and improbable. They’re really similar characters I think. Whereas Rohan is cold and detached from others though, Izumi is warmer.

Rohan oi count for this episode: 21. Excessive. Someone gag him.

Maybe I’ll get my wish next story? There’s tentacles in the next episode. With that knowledge and the cover looking… cat coded… I’m not sure how closely I should be looking at some things :face_with_monocle:

17 Likes