📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2022 🏖 ☀

:books: :books: End of Summer Reading Challenge :beach_umbrella: :sunny:

My goal for this summer challenge was to read 5 books. Considering the books I usually read (Honzuki, SAO, Kusuriya), I felt that was a lot for 8~9 weeks, but not impossible. I wanted to challenge myself, after all. Turns out shorter and “easier” books don’t require as much time!

List of what I've read
Title Type Progress Completed
Sword Art Online Progressive 1 LN 50% → 100% July 12
神経細胞 - Wikipedia → Glia cells
花嫁は元男子。 Manga 100% July 13
わたしの幸せな結婚 1 Book 100% July 17
わたしの幸せな結婚 2 Book 100% July 19
わたしの幸せな結婚 3 Book 100% July 22
詩的私的ジャック (Saikawa&Moe Vol.4) Book 36% → 100% July 24
わたしの幸せな結婚 4 Book 100% July 28
わたしの幸せな結婚 5 Book 100% Aug 1
わたしの幸せな結婚 6 Book 100% Aug 5
夜が明けたら、いちばんに君に会いにいく 上 Book 100% Aug 20
夜が明けたら、いちばんに君に会いにいく 下 Book 100% Aug 22
本好きの下剋上 10 Book 100% Aug 31
Loopers :infinity: via Youtube Playlist VN Part 3, 4, 5
Medium Total
Books 10.64 books
Light novels 50% of SAOP1
Manga 1 vol
Visual novel ca. 19 700 characters [1]

So I ended up setting new personal records :eyes: :sparkles:

• Prev. record: かがみの孤城 下 (7 days) - June 2022
  • New record: わたしの幸せな結婚1 (3 days) - July 2022
  • New record: わたしの幸せな結婚3 (2 days) - July 2022
  • New record: 夜が明けたら、いちばんに君に会いにいく 上 (1 day) - August 2022

What was different for me this challenge compared to past challenges?

I had way more time for reading because I went home for vacation. That was very chill. Could read through the entire day if I wanted to, and so I did. Which also means stamina has increased, I guess? It’s not an easy thing to measure (and I’ve probably mentioned increased stamina in every summary so far lmao). But I did a lot of nyooms :rocket:

One thing that can be measured though is known vocab. Not that I have any reliable numbers tho (:durtle_durtverted_lvl1:), I do however look up pretty much any word I’m unsure about which over time leads to fewer lookups. Especially within the same series (SAO, Honzuki, Kekkon). I didn’t read any (for me) crazy difficult stuff like Kusuriya, that would definitely take longer to finish. (Is that a challenge? :eyes: Yes, yes it is :eyes::fire: I’ll finish more of you before you know it :eyes: :chopsticks: )

If I were to compare this and last summer, it’s a bit hard to say since the variation in mediums isn’t very comparable. Summer 2021: 4.45 books and 21 volumes of manga. While this summer I read 11.14 books and 1 manga. Hmm… More than double as many books? :D This is why tracking progress is fun. And I’ll have something to compare for next summer too :durtle_noice: (I swear, if I didn’t track, I’d forget everything I’ve accomplished and feel like a droopy plant)

Answer: Vocab. A lot of still unknown low-frequency words. I’d love to keep track using SRS sites, but I’m not very consistent at it yet. If only there was a quick and easy way to add known words without sorting through all of them (this is why I have no reliable number of how many words I know :durtle_durtverted_lvl1:). Some days I spend more time on SRS than reading, which kind of defeats the point in my opinion. Half an hour of reading and two hours on SRS? smh. At least for the stuff I read this summer, grammar was barely any issue at all.

Anyway, long summary xD Looking forward to the next challenge! :durtle_the_explorer: :sparkles:

1. according to Loopers book club people
    image ↩︎

25 Likes