📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2022 🏖 ☀

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Beach Resort: Date 20220827 :beach_umbrella: :raccoon:

吾輩は狸である progress: 11.22% :blossom:

Ran out of time to read today, so only managed a few sentences, but there was quite a few new words for such a short read.

:beach_umbrella: Japanese found in the sand :beach_umbrella:

Meowords

此間「こないだ」ー The other day; recently; lately
仕舞い「しまい」ー End; close; finish; termination
匆々「そうそう」ー Busy; hurried; yours sincerely (at the end of letter eg)
白磁「はくじ」ー White porcelain
青軸「あおじく」ー Cultivar of Japanese apricot or mulberry
手水鉢「ちょうずばし」ー Washbasin

21 Likes

Home post :bookmark: Aug 27th :sunny:

・ 本好きの下剋上 10 (52% → 55%)

Decided to continue Honzuki instead of studying, keeping up with Loopers or starting the Spice and Wolf book. Tired from walking a lot today.

24 Likes

I find that when I’m trying to start a new routine or “fix” something in my life (exercise, diet, sleep schedule, house clutter, etc) it eats up a surprising amount of focus/willpower/spoons/whatever you want to call it and less-urgent things fall by the wayside.

It’s like the brain can only handle a limited number of “do the new good habit not the old bad habit” cycles at one time, even when you supposedly have enough time to do it all. And even when they DON’T involve deep embedded psychological issues!

Good luck and go easy on yourself with the lower-priority stuff. Can you pause on one of your book clubs and catch up later on? Or read at a slower pace?

19 Likes
Reply to kimera

Yeah, this is the thing that I totally forgot. :sweat_drops:

True. It is so easy to forget sometimes how disruptive things can be. Instead I just look at all the time this week I spent on watching videos and playing mindless games, and it looks like there was so much time I wasn’t doing anything useful.

Also, I’ve been more tired because emotional things tend to make me stay up late. Making it worse because them I’m tired too and therefore have less emotional capacity. :sweat_smile:

Good questions. :thinking: I think the reason I decided on catching up with 夜カフェ first was because it is such an easy read for me. I don’t think I’ve met any gnarly grammar, and the stakes are pretty low so emotionally a very easy read.

I think my plan will be to show myself more compassion. To be kinder and remind myself that all this emotional/mental work takes a lot of room even when I’m not actively doing something with them.

Only earlier today I decided I’m going to make the plan to do one major task a day and not sweat anything else. And depending on day, that major task might be doing laundry and possibly other household chores. I think my definition of major task have to change temporarily. :joy:

But after a couple of weeks, hopefully my capacity will increase again.

12 Likes

August 27th!

I finished the first volume of Shadows House today.
I’ve really enjoyed it so I’m pleased that there is going to be an offshoot club :slight_smile:

(Home Post)

23 Likes

Summary Post

August 27th
What did I read?: きつねくんと先生 Vol 1
How much did I read?: 13 pages
How long did it take me?: 23 min

The most precious moment :pleading_face:

26 Likes

Home post

REDC
Week 9

8月26日

• Final Fantasy XIV

8月27日

• Final Fantasy XIV

I haven’t played with the new character for like a week. There was a big patch that has me glued to the screen but I managed to make it worthwhile somehow with new vocabulary anyways.

23 Likes

Aug 28, Sun of Week 9 of Summer :beach_umbrella: 2022

I finished HUNTER×HUNTER manga Vol.3, which is almost as far as my anime watching. The next target is SPY×FAMILY Vol.2 MISSION 6-7, to get benefit from book clubs.

I fear much about reading in auto mode, even if I look up vocabulary once in a while; as I was able to read volumes of manga for a while…

• Am I reading materials to learn? This would be about the mindset.
  • Am I learning materials well, or at all? So, joining a club / community becomes important.
  • Will I ever step out of my comfort zone? This might become the biggest question, but I believe if I continue to try and “learn”, I would be there somehow. (Expanding comfort zone, solving desire conflict).

By this thinking, perhaps things that I struggle a little, but not that much (rating in hindsight)… Used to be Death Note.

20 Likes

After two days of no reading (:fearful:) I am back on the wagon. Between super tiredness for a few days and stressful work stuff I shall call it a Mini Break :tm:

Anyways, I finished off the reading for 十角館の殺人 and am still very much enjoying it. It’s a fun little mystery!

I’m hoping I have some time/energy for 天使の傷跡 tonight but we’ll see. I landed a free copy of another book by the same author, 恐怖の海, which just…I love that title. P U L P :sparkles: V I B E S

24 Likes

August 27 :blossom: Home Post

I miss summer break reading habits already :sweat_smile: I just… keep having other stuff to do? I’m behind on all the book clubs but have like no motivation for them :joy: I’ll work it out eventually, but I snuck in a bit of 跡を消す to check off the box so :man_shrugging:

24 Likes

I failed to post yesterday (spent the day in Tsuruma park in Nagoya catching Pokemon :slight_smile: ), but I did do some reading.
In the end ハピネス Vol2 won out, because I had started that with the ABBC, but life got on the way…
so I’ve picked it back up, loaded the vocab list into kindle, and after two days I’ve finished page 24 (but it’s not very text dense).

22 Likes

:sunny: :beach_umbrella: Memoria’s Summer Readin’ :beach: :sunny:

August 28th:

25 pages of 好きっていいなよ volume 3 ~ Today was a bit weird. I felt like I got the gist of everything that happened, even though I know there was grammar and some vocabulary I didn’t understand. It’s like I was absorbing the content anyway. I guess these things happen, but it feels strange. Like I’m cheating, but not really??

21 Likes

:star2: Home :star2:

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険27

32 - 71

My friends listened to me gush about Dio

21 Likes

:books: :video_game: :thong_sandal: :sunny: August 25

Read ビブリア (77% → 80%) and 4 chapters of 青のフラッグ.

:books: :video_game: :thong_sandal: :sunny: August 26

Played バリバリ for a bit over an hour.

:books: :video_game: :thong_sandal: :sunny: August 27

Just read a little ビブリア (80% → 83%).

22 Likes

Falling asleep while reading at night nowadays, so yesterday I gave in after reading a few pages. I’ll just finish the rest today.

21 Likes

Home

I passed out early yesterday evening but slept but fitfully, because of course I did. Before that, though, I read よつばと! ch 63-67. I figured out that the camping chapters are in vol 12, so I’m looking forward to reading that next! Actually, I’m not sure if those are my favorite chapters or anything, but I am writing a fic set during them lol

21 Likes

Managed to read 4 pages of Tugumi today - was hoping to do more, but…life, and work…

23 Likes

Read p. 133-139 of よつば& Vol. 2 today. Have finished the プール chapter and good riddance.

Summary

言う通り (いうとおり) as (someone) says
からして for starters, based on
そもそも in the first place
浮かぶ (うかぶ) to float
仲間 (なかま) fellow, member of the same group

20 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Beach Resort: Date 20220828 :beach_umbrella: :raccoon:

吾輩は狸である progress: 12.15% :writing_hand:

Read quite a lot more than yesterday, but found less new words.

:beach_umbrella: Japanese found in the sand :beach_umbrella:

Meowords

私共「わたくしども」ー We; us
鵝鳥「がちょう」ー Goose (also: 鵞鳥)
冤罪「えんざい」ー False charge/accusation
審美眼「しんびがん」ー Eye for beauty; aesthetic sense

21 Likes

:spiral_calendar: Day 58: August 27th :squid: :octopus:

🦸‍♂️ SUPERMAN vs飯 スーパーマンのひとり飯 Volume 1 (51% ➨ 54%)

It feels as if I’ve seen 「君」 more in this chapter than I have in all my Japanese manga reading up to this point.

Even though the food prices are low, Batman offers to pay for both their meals. After all, he’s super rich.

spacer:girl: からかい上手の(元)高木さん Volume 6 (45% ➨ 52%)

spacer:page_facing_up: orange Volume 1 (4% ➨ 5%)

22 Likes