📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2022 🏖 ☀

:cake: :books: August 26 :books: :cake:
(home post)

Night Café 2 :cake: page 17 → 26 (9 pages)

Read the rest of the first chapter of volume 2 of NC. Nice little review of the last volume plus a new character introduced. Not much to say there. I’ll try to add my commentary in the currently active club for the volume.

And man, I’m getting so far behind in all my clubs. I’m now 3 weeks behind in both Orange and Loopers, well the third week behind just started, so it isn’t like I can’t catch up, but still.

Honestly though, it isn’t just Japanese reading. It is kinda everything. I’ve just not felt much drawn to anything useful this week. I wonder if it is all the food stuff I’m thinking and dealing with. Probably.

Digression about the food stuff I'm working on

There is always a lot of under the surface stuff with food for me, but I’m determined to get to a good relationship with food where I eat in a way I prefer (treats will be included!) with little overeating, no/minuscule guilt and no worries. Also you know, making my body feel good.

However, while the program/coaching I’m going through that is wonderful, all old mean thoughts, patterns, and expectations are marching to the front asking for their chance at a duel or two or three. Society in general and the diet/food industry are very good at teaching all kinds of complexes. And now I have the joy of peeling those away so I can figure out what works for me and how I actually want to eat. Because I have no idea what it would look like without insecurities, guilt, fear, FOMO and all that.

Anyway, we’re almost at the end of the month, and I’ve only finished one thing this month. And I’m not really close to finishing anything, so I can’t just dive in and do that. Super Mario Odyssey have been my reading too much this month. :joy:

Well, the good thing with one month ending and another beginning (soon), I can use that to propel me, challenge myself, to get a bit more done. Meaning more Japanese reading, more life stuff, and so on. Hopefully :tm:

24 Likes

Been struggling with reading the last few days, so I let myself slip back a bit with Tugumi and just read シャドーハウス (volume 2). I ended up finishing it as I got caught up in the plot. And then starting the next one…

Today I was travelling home so I read mission 7 of Spy Family (will need to go over it quickly but it was a fairly easy read) plus a few pages of 夜カフェ book 2 - which puts me ahead of the book club but I’m going away the following week.

My plan this week is to finish chapter 4 of 夜カフェ so I’m ahead of the club, read over mission 7 and catch up with Tugumi - the latter will be the biggest challenge but should be doable. I’d also like to finish volume 1 of orange and decide if I’m going to continue and catch up with the club.

I can see myself binge-reading シャドーハウス as it’s easy reading and it’s easy to get caught up in, so the plan is to use that to bribe myself (ie, I can read a chapter of it once I’ve read x pages of Tugumi!).

24 Likes

:spiral_calendar: Day 57: August 26th :watermelon: :butterfly:

spacer:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: からかい上手の高木さん Volume 8 (14% ➨ 24%)

🦸‍♂️ SUPERMAN vs飯 スーパーマンのひとり飯 Volume 1 (43% ➨ 51%)

This time around, Superman’s bringing along a friend to lunch in Japan.

While Superman uses 僕, Batman uses:

And because it’s a manga about eating food, there have to be scenes of Batman eating.

(Ran out of reading time mid-chapter.)

Gotta make sure I get some reading in Saturday morning before I get distracted by :squid::octopus:(Splatoon 3).

22 Likes

i missed out on thursday again, that’s the 4th day missed in this challenge. but on thursday i was climbing the tallest mountain i’ve yet climbed, so was a little busy (and afterwards a little tired).

and then yesterday i almost missed it again! i was just sitting down for a nice good read, when i got distracted by a passing thought and realised that a) ユリ熊嵐 has a manga and a LN, and b) that i had an urgent need to rewatch ユリ熊嵐. 7 episodes later it was past my bedtime. but then i wasn’t able to sleep, so got to read some やが君 anyway. i’m really liking this bit, Sayaka and Yuu are meeting up in their old sensei’s partner’s café, and it’s cute how they’re really getting along well now, and confiding in each other.

also, the ユリ熊嵐 manga and LN are going on my list of stuff i want to read :smiley:

(edit: sent requests for the manga and LN to be added on natively :wink: )

23 Likes

p. 123-132 of よつば& today. I honestly can’t wait for this chapter, with all its ogling and fat-shaming, to be over, but the bit about how none of the grownups can swim but Yotsuba is an expert is pretty funny.

New words:

余る (あまる) to remain, to be too much
金槌 (かなづち) someone who can’t swim
バシャバシャ splish-splash
落ちる (おちる) to fall
降りる (おりる) to descend
ぷかぷか lightly floating

19 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Beach Resort: Date 20220827 :beach_umbrella: :raccoon:

吾輩は狸である progress: 11.22% :blossom:

Ran out of time to read today, so only managed a few sentences, but there was quite a few new words for such a short read.

:beach_umbrella: Japanese found in the sand :beach_umbrella:

Meowords

此間「こないだ」ー The other day; recently; lately
仕舞い「しまい」ー End; close; finish; termination
匆々「そうそう」ー Busy; hurried; yours sincerely (at the end of letter eg)
白磁「はくじ」ー White porcelain
青軸「あおじく」ー Cultivar of Japanese apricot or mulberry
手水鉢「ちょうずばし」ー Washbasin

21 Likes

Home post :bookmark: Aug 27th :sunny:

・ 本好きの下剋上 10 (52% → 55%)

Decided to continue Honzuki instead of studying, keeping up with Loopers or starting the Spice and Wolf book. Tired from walking a lot today.

24 Likes

I find that when I’m trying to start a new routine or “fix” something in my life (exercise, diet, sleep schedule, house clutter, etc) it eats up a surprising amount of focus/willpower/spoons/whatever you want to call it and less-urgent things fall by the wayside.

It’s like the brain can only handle a limited number of “do the new good habit not the old bad habit” cycles at one time, even when you supposedly have enough time to do it all. And even when they DON’T involve deep embedded psychological issues!

Good luck and go easy on yourself with the lower-priority stuff. Can you pause on one of your book clubs and catch up later on? Or read at a slower pace?

19 Likes
Reply to kimera

Yeah, this is the thing that I totally forgot. :sweat_drops:

True. It is so easy to forget sometimes how disruptive things can be. Instead I just look at all the time this week I spent on watching videos and playing mindless games, and it looks like there was so much time I wasn’t doing anything useful.

Also, I’ve been more tired because emotional things tend to make me stay up late. Making it worse because them I’m tired too and therefore have less emotional capacity. :sweat_smile:

Good questions. :thinking: I think the reason I decided on catching up with 夜カフェ first was because it is such an easy read for me. I don’t think I’ve met any gnarly grammar, and the stakes are pretty low so emotionally a very easy read.

I think my plan will be to show myself more compassion. To be kinder and remind myself that all this emotional/mental work takes a lot of room even when I’m not actively doing something with them.

Only earlier today I decided I’m going to make the plan to do one major task a day and not sweat anything else. And depending on day, that major task might be doing laundry and possibly other household chores. I think my definition of major task have to change temporarily. :joy:

But after a couple of weeks, hopefully my capacity will increase again.

12 Likes

August 27th!

I finished the first volume of Shadows House today.
I’ve really enjoyed it so I’m pleased that there is going to be an offshoot club :slight_smile:

(Home Post)

23 Likes

Summary Post

August 27th
What did I read?: きつねくんと先生 Vol 1
How much did I read?: 13 pages
How long did it take me?: 23 min

The most precious moment :pleading_face:

26 Likes

Home post

REDC
Week 9

8月26日

• Final Fantasy XIV

8月27日

• Final Fantasy XIV

I haven’t played with the new character for like a week. There was a big patch that has me glued to the screen but I managed to make it worthwhile somehow with new vocabulary anyways.

23 Likes

Aug 28, Sun of Week 9 of Summer :beach_umbrella: 2022

I finished HUNTER×HUNTER manga Vol.3, which is almost as far as my anime watching. The next target is SPY×FAMILY Vol.2 MISSION 6-7, to get benefit from book clubs.

I fear much about reading in auto mode, even if I look up vocabulary once in a while; as I was able to read volumes of manga for a while…

• Am I reading materials to learn? This would be about the mindset.
  • Am I learning materials well, or at all? So, joining a club / community becomes important.
  • Will I ever step out of my comfort zone? This might become the biggest question, but I believe if I continue to try and “learn”, I would be there somehow. (Expanding comfort zone, solving desire conflict).

By this thinking, perhaps things that I struggle a little, but not that much (rating in hindsight)… Used to be Death Note.

20 Likes

After two days of no reading (:fearful:) I am back on the wagon. Between super tiredness for a few days and stressful work stuff I shall call it a Mini Break :tm:

Anyways, I finished off the reading for 十角館の殺人 and am still very much enjoying it. It’s a fun little mystery!

I’m hoping I have some time/energy for 天使の傷跡 tonight but we’ll see. I landed a free copy of another book by the same author, 恐怖の海, which just…I love that title. P U L P :sparkles: V I B E S

24 Likes

August 27 :blossom: Home Post

I miss summer break reading habits already :sweat_smile: I just… keep having other stuff to do? I’m behind on all the book clubs but have like no motivation for them :joy: I’ll work it out eventually, but I snuck in a bit of 跡を消す to check off the box so :man_shrugging:

24 Likes

I failed to post yesterday (spent the day in Tsuruma park in Nagoya catching Pokemon :slight_smile: ), but I did do some reading.
In the end ハピネス Vol2 won out, because I had started that with the ABBC, but life got on the way…
so I’ve picked it back up, loaded the vocab list into kindle, and after two days I’ve finished page 24 (but it’s not very text dense).

22 Likes

:sunny: :beach_umbrella: Memoria’s Summer Readin’ :beach: :sunny:

August 28th:

25 pages of 好きっていいなよ volume 3 ~ Today was a bit weird. I felt like I got the gist of everything that happened, even though I know there was grammar and some vocabulary I didn’t understand. It’s like I was absorbing the content anyway. I guess these things happen, but it feels strange. Like I’m cheating, but not really??

21 Likes

:star2: Home :star2:

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険27

32 - 71

My friends listened to me gush about Dio

21 Likes

:books: :video_game: :thong_sandal: :sunny: August 25

Read ビブリア (77% → 80%) and 4 chapters of 青のフラッグ.

:books: :video_game: :thong_sandal: :sunny: August 26

Played バリバリ for a bit over an hour.

:books: :video_game: :thong_sandal: :sunny: August 27

Just read a little ビブリア (80% → 83%).

22 Likes

Falling asleep while reading at night nowadays, so yesterday I gave in after reading a few pages. I’ll just finish the rest today.

21 Likes