📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2022 🏖 ☀

:spiral_calendar: Day 2: July 2nd :basket: :green_salad:

✨ キラキラ100% Volume 3 (12% ➨ 38%)

This is one of those series that I like enough to not drop, but I hardly ever get to reading. I plan to change the latter this summer.

The main issue with not reading a series often is it’s easy to forget what was going on last. Add to that 90-page chapters, and any long breaks are all but guaranteed to be mid-chapter.

The series follows a girl who’s a bit homely due to not caring much for her appearance. When it turns out the top good-looking boy in class likes her, she becomes very concerned about her looks. With some help from classmates, she’s able to make changes to her appearance, which gives her a confidence boost. But as she and the good-looking boy start a relationship, she’s constantly doubting herself (and him any time he’s around another girl).

High school romance isn’t really my genre, but I picked up the first two volumes when they were free at one point, and I’ve liked the series enough to buy the third volume. Now to see how it goes over the next few months.

One thing I do like is that when there’s a big misunderstanding seen from the main character’s point of view, the story goes back to before the misunderstanding and shows events from the boyfriend’s viewpoint.

Looked-up vocabulary words:

• 踊らされる: to be manipulated (I might have gotten this one if I knew the kanji for おどる, meaning “to dance”)
  • 順調: favorable, doing well
  • 熟睡: sound sleep
  • 薄れる: to fade, to become dim
  • 良妻賢母: good wife and wise mother
  • 惨め: miserable, wretched, unhappy, sad, pitiable
  • 取り残す: to leave behind
  • ぎくしゃく: strain (e.g. in relations)
🎀 ふだつきのキョーコちゃん Volume 1 (0% ➨ 20%)

I originally disregarded this series because I thought it was based on the characters in a short story this mangaka did on the same concept (a jiangshi girl with a bad attitude who becomes docile and affectionate with a thirst for blood when her 札 is removed).

Since discovering the series isn’t based on the short story’s characters, I decided to give it a try.

Generally, I’m not a fan of “angry” characters. I’m also not a fan of characters with sharp teeth (from a character design perspective). Thus this volume is a preliminary trial to see if I’ll want to continue the series or not.

It looks like there will be some tie-ins with the mangaka’s other series. The first chapter already includes Mina’s cousin, appearing here without the bushy eyebrows.

あしたは土曜日:

恋に恋するユカリちゃん:
(I feel like this scene is a spoiler for the series I just started.)

ふだつきのキョーコちゃん:

Since Mina’s cousin is in high school, that should place this series in the same school from それでも歩は寄せてくる.

Come to think of it, the main characters of this series appeared in Yukari’s series for a scene as well:

恋に恋するユカリちゃん:

• あさる: to fish, to look for, to search for, to hunt for, to scavenge, to scrounge
  • デキてる: 付き合ってる
  • うっとうしい: gloomy (mood)

spacer:rabbit2: ご注文はうさぎですか? Complete Blend Volume 1 (40% ➨ 40%)
                Reading two pages doesn’t count for much here…

🔍 名探偵コナン Volume 10 (11% ➨ 18%)

I’m at the start of a new case, which should mean fast pace reading progress again. Except, this is the chapter that introduces Heiji, a recurring character who speaks with a Kansai accent.

Hopefully I’ve encountered enough Kansai-ben from other series I’ve read that he won’t give me too much trouble. Typically, simply knowing や and へん goes a long way.

Valuable lesson in this chapter: never let a stranger give cold medicine to a kid without first verifying it’s not a strong saké.

So far, Heiji’s dialect doesn’t seem too bad.

• さっぱり: completely
  • 音沙汰: news
  • 称す: to take the name of, to call oneself
  • 厄介: staying (with a person)
  • 接待: reception, welcome
  • 素行調査: background investigation
  • 経歴: personal history
  • まっしぐら: at full speed
  • ひょっこり: suddenly, by chance, unexpectedly

spacer:male_detective:t3: SPY×FAMILY Volume 1 (42% ➨ 47%)

🥷🏻 くノ一ツバキの胸の内 Volume 1 (36% ➨ 50%)

Now that I know the characters on the cover, I noticed Sazanka has purple hair.

I wouldn’t have expected that at all from her uncolored artwork:

It’s funny because I long felt like Maki in 「それでも歩は寄せてくる」 would have purple hair…

…and instead, hers is brown.

In my automated text analysis of this manga, I found the most-used kanji to be 男. Usually in a series, it’ll be a kanji from the main character’s name, but this series puts names in katakana.

I’m definitely seeing 男 come up a lot for what’s set in a females-only ninja school.

• がっしり: firmly, solidly, tough
  • ただでさえ: under normal circumstances
  • 問題児: problem child
  • 囁く: to whisper
  • 蒸発: evaporation
  • 抉る: to hollow out, to excavate, to scoop out
25 Likes