📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2022 🏖 ☀

Oh no, don’t worry about it - I sort of hid that info in a little word, after all. ^^ The bookshelves should be delivered within the week, actually! I’m looking forward to the sorting process, haha.

Moving really is quite stressful, from the packing to the actual moving to the unpacking… :joy:

Have you finished unpacking already? I have to admit it’s not just the books that are left in boxes here… :eyes:

6 Likes

I just found something in Google Books which says that when Soseki’s それから was first serialized in the Asahi Newspaper, the word 長椅子 was printed in the Tokyo edition with the furigana ソーファ but in the Osaka edition with furigana ながいす !

9 Likes

Some of the furigana here seems to be on pretty common words, I found the same with No Longer Human. I’d question that some seemingly common words would have furigana and then odd kanji I’d never seen before wouldn’t have any.

It’d be great to see the original manuscript, see if the author did have any input on what gets furigana’d (and to what extent). Though if the Tokyo/Osaka editions varied I guess most of it’s at the discretion of the publisher for whatever audience they’re marketing for.

7 Likes

Wikipedia has an image of two pages of the manuscript – no furigana at all as far as I can see. The 1930s ‘complete works’ edition that the Diet Library has electronically archived has furigana on every single kanji.

7 Likes

August 7th!

Today I read Chapter 31 of Mitsuboshi Colors. I didn’t have much trouble reading it grammar-wise, but I felt like I had to look up more words than I usually do! Maybe it was a bit more text-dense than usual.

On a semi-reading related note, I had big plans to get loads of reading done tomorrow as I’ll be dogsitting at a friends house - but I decided to go to the supermarket to buy some stuff for lunch today, and as I walked there I discovered that the Commonwealth Games Road Race route went almost right past my house (all of the road closure notices I’ve been ignoring suddenly made sense :sweat_smile:) and it was due to start in 15 minutes.
So my five minute walk to the shop became an impromptu four hours spent watching that instead.
In good news, it was way more fun than I expected! I was going to just watch them go past in the first lap - but ended up staying for all ten.
In bad news… I was dressed for a 5 minute walk to the shop, not 4 hours in the sun, so I am now horribly sunburnt - not sure how much reading I’ll get done tomorrow, because right now I’m sore and a bit nauseous!

(Home Post)

23 Likes

Summary Post

August 7th
What did I read?: 猫には猫の猫ごはん Vol 1
How much did I read?: 25 pages
How long did it take me?: 19 min

Yuki did indeed get a bath today.

It went pretty much how you would expect xD

But look how shiny and clean he came out!

Replyyyy~

I do know it exists! Although you wouldn’t know it from my presence (or lack there of) in the threads xD I’ve been meaning to go through and read all the spoilered stuff for the last two chapters, so this is a good reminder :+1: I’m generally not the best at actually discussing things I read though tbh haha, it stresses me out a little bit in a weird way that’s difficult to explain - not to say that I never enjoy doing it but it just takes a little more mental space for me to do it and I’m running a bit short on that at the moment :sweat_smile: I did order the rest of the series yesterday though, so hopefully I’ll pop in at some point :joy:

23 Likes

Home post

REDC
Week 6
:confetti_ball: 1 0 0 % :confetti_ball:

8月7日
Chrono Trigger

This game is much longer than I thought it would be, that’s awesome. It keeps delivering over and over. I’m not sure how much I have left but now I’m not so sure I’m at the end :joy: . Doesn’t look like I am at least and I’m not disappointed at all about it, the more hours left the better if it keeps this pace.

23 Likes

Finished the first Azumanga Daioh! @lucylavelle since you said you were interested. There are definitely more parts that leave me confused or not too impressed by certain jokes, and I think I might just prefer manga that isn’t in 4koma format, but this is still charming. Wrote a little natively review

21 Likes

August 7 :blossom: Home Post

I meant to read more today but by the time I got to it I was dead tired so rip :joy: I just read a page of 十角館(じゅっかくかん)殺人(さつじん) to check it out for the mystery book club and couldn’t get my brain to do any more than that haha. More tomorrow!

Lmao I love this :joy: There’s no way I’d read it properly if I didn’t post about it like every day haha. Badminton Bond sounds like a sports anime, I’d check it out :laughing:

Oh no, I hope you feel better soon!!

I have to say I absolutely love that you stumbled into this whole series expecting it to be like a documentary and now you’re invested in it, that’s so fun :laughing: Sometimes things just happen like that!

24 Likes

I finished 硝子の塔の殺人 and aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh I loved it!
excited

Natively review which is more about difficulty and plot and such

I need to tell people ending spoilers or I will explode. Read only if you plan to never read this book. Massive, story ruining spoilers. For context it’s a murder mystery aimed at murder mystery nerds:

Doubly hidden, just to be sure

The murders? Were fake. It was all a hoax by the owner of the 館 to force his invitees to play out a murder mystery for him to write. He made the story’s initial ‘murderer’ think he was actually murdering him, but then just played dead and an accomplice made it so he couldn’t properly examine the bodies. Except…then they actually died. Because 碧 killed them.

So 碧, the 名探偵, she becomes a 名探偵 because when her parents were murdered none showed up to solve the case. So…she became one herself. Like ウテナ became a prince. OMG OMG OMG. I love Utena. I love that energy of “fuck waiting around Imma do it myself.” but then it gets better because she was the one who murdered her parents. And was the person behind a bunch of unsolved, bizarre murders. She’s also a 名犯人. She’s the Moriarty to her own Sherlock. Ugh I love it. I think I’ve said before on here that crazy female leads are my weakness and she made me melt. I adored her in the ending scenes. She killed all the people who “fake” died because she was upset with what poor tricks were being used, and because of the arrogance of the owner of the 館 in assuming his pathetic work worthy of being an eleventh volume of the 何々館の殺人 series by 綾辻行人(あやつじ ゆきと).

I cannot express how intensely satisfying this ending is, and my only regret is that I didn’t read more famous Japanese mysteries before reading this one.

Feel better soon!

21 Likes

:eyes:

Well you have me even more curious about that one now, though to be honest I probably am lacking the prerequisite knowledge to appreciate it to the same degree. I bet lots of references would go over my head right now.

5 Likes

A lot of the references were to Agatha Christy’s books, Sherlock Holmes, and other Western works so you might be fine assuming you have familiarity with the genre in English. I do wish I’d read more Japanese mystery classics before reading it though, so I could appreciate those references more fully. Even without that, though, I still had a blast.

6 Likes

:spiral_calendar: Day 38: August 7th :parasol_on_ground: :icecream:

spacer:broom: ふらいんぐうぃっち Volume 11 (83% ➨ 100%)

spacer:ribbon: ふだつきのキョーコちゃん Volume 5 (78% ➨ 100%)

spacer:coffee: 夜カフェ Volume 1 (86% ➨ 89%)
spacerspacer (Just one chapter left to go, I think!)

spacer:plunger: スーパーマリオくん Volume 1 (27% ➨ 35%)

spacer:ninja:t2: くノ一ツバキの胸の内 Volume 3 (67% ➨ 84%)

21 Likes

Only in the vague, pop culture understanding kind of way. Not as well read as I should be! Still interested all the same. Gotta speed up my reading before the stuff I intend to read already expands beyond what I’m going to have time for in this life haha.

5 Likes

Home

I started thinking about Blue Period again today, so I’m hoping Kinokuniya has it in JP. Still dunno when I’m going though, if it’ll be in two or three weeks, but either way I’m determined to finish at least a few more books before then!

Today I read the rest of スイートクレイジーデイズ, finishing the volume! Both stories were pretty good, though 青年ドリーミー is still my favorite of Edako-sensei’s. And she only has three manga currently, which means I’ve read them all, except for some djs that I may try to get…

I read all of ひばりが鳴いたらつかまえて. It was really good. Also, Endou-sensei’s art is so pretty! I’ll have to check out her other manga sometime.

I also started 秘密が花園, reading the first chapter. There are two couples in this, and the first gets the first two chapters and the second the last three. I really like the first couple so far, so I hope I won’t be disappointed that they’re not the one that got three chapters lol

Some vocab of note:

ヤケ酒 (ヤケざけ) [noun] drowning one’s cares in drink; drinking in desperation
不可抗力 (ふかこうりょく) [四字熟語, noun, の-adj.] irresistible force; inevitability
辛抱 (しんぼう) [noun, する verb] patience; endurance
紛れもない (まぎれもない) [expression, い-adj.] 間違いない
翻る (ひるがえる) [自ラ五] to flutter (in the wind); to wave; to flap

21 Likes

Read the first chapter of a Professor Layton novel. My brain seems to want to cruise for a while so I am just going with it and not pushing myself as hard as I have been the last couple weeks. Also watching the Kono Suba anime is just in general a much better experience than reading. 青ブタ is gonna have to wait a little longer but my brain needs a break.

22 Likes

:books: :video_game: :thong_sandal: :sunny: August 5

Played バリバリ for 15 minutes.

:books: :video_game: :thong_sandal: :sunny: August 6

Played バリバリ for half an hour.

:books: :video_game: :thong_sandal: :sunny: August 7

Read ビブリア (16% → 19%) and played バリバリ for 15 minutes.

I’m expecting to be able to do a lot more starting Monday.

23 Likes

:cake: :books: August 7 :books: :cake:
(home post)

Night Café :cake: page 96 → 97 (2 pages)

Technically I only read 1,5 page yesterday but I’m not gonna bother with fractional pages. So I’m half a page generous with yesterday’s amount. :joy:

I’ve been cat sitting for the past 3 weeks. So I’ve been going between my home and my friends’ home to watch cats, while not entirely abandoning my own home. :crazy_face:

But that gig ended when my friends came back home yesterday when I was in the middle of my second page, and then they invited me to stay overnight anyway to do some gaming together. So no more reading for me.

Replies

Get well soon! :green_heart:

I totally missed that ‘also’ too. :woman_facepalming: Glad your move went well!

I was thinking I’d use koohi after finishing WK to specifically prepare to read specific book series. I wonder if someone have compared koohi with jpdb. :thinking:

Ack! Bad sunburns are the worst. I hope it settles quickly. :green_heart:

No worries. :smiley: I’m glad you’re enjoying our discussions if nothing else. ^^

For myself, I’ve realized I have to plan for spending up to 2 hours outside the reading to fill in the spreadsheet and write my longwinded posts about the reading. :joy:

Oooh, this is starting to sound like a book I would like to read. I’ve read quite a few Agatha Christy and I know a lot of Sherlock Holmes (although I should really read the originals!). So I guess I should read some of the Japanese mystery classics first. Would it be spoilery to share some books I should/could aim to read before this?

There are novels? I’ve played several of the games (although in English).

26 Likes

Aug 8, Mon of Week 7 of Summer :beach_umbrella: 2022

So, I started reading ブラックジャックによろしく, which honestly echo my career after graduation, although there are some differences, and I am far from being a top student.

In fact, I have had an exchange at a medical school in Japan as a med student before, but I didn’t understand or remember much.

Experience and differences

After graduating, studying in a public med school, I have a requirement to take an internship at a large hospital for one year, then a local hospital (usually small and in upcountry) for 2 years. (Unless I choose to enroll in some very specific specialty.) So I went to one of the largest hospitals in my country in somewhat a capital of upcountry, and then another not-so-small (120-bed, nowadays 200-) hospital there. Nowadays, I am in another small hos, though (60-bed).

I am not exactly sure, but I believe Japanese med students don’t practice much before graduation. But here, the last 3 years before graduation are done in a university hospital. First year – mostly look only, 2nd – occasionally, 3rd (extern) – practice under supervision. The truth still remains that graduates just after getting a license can’t do much and can’t make a decision well, especially for emergency cases. We call it, falling leaves of autumn. There are also issues of money and budget, but government usually supports well, at least in patients’ side (native citizens and registered workers). (Can be almost broke for the hospital, depending on the management; and in turn, can affect the pay and whether the pay is delayed.)

Of course, hospitals are still less than a half of public health. Many other things to worry about, to take care of a population in a responsible region.

Then, there also things about country being more and more developed; and general public becoming more smart, but not really. I blame anyone for not being careful enough. Written laws would give somewhat permanent unintended side-effects.

I look up most words if I don’t know here (which doesn’t that commonly happen), and I indeed don’t want to miss a thing. Currently at Page 25 of a 209-page vol (7 chapters). First chap is around 60 pages.

Specialized vocabularies
25 Likes

If this is your first playthrough, then 20-25 hours is not that weird. But it can be easily done under 15, making it one of the shorter rpgs from a long lost era.

3 Likes