📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2021 🏖🏖

Yep, I actually found it on the Japanese publisher’s site linked on the Wikipedia page.

2 Likes

There’s a podcast called Trash Taste. The hosts are three pretty well known anime/otaku culture YouTubers that have moved to Japan. They and their guests mentioned it at least a few times and said it was an impactful story.

3 Likes

`nuff said :joy_cat:

6 Likes

Day 2 - missed one yesterday but after clearing my reviews this morning I read an NHK News Easy article. I feel like I got the gist of it but am definitely not at 100% comprehension. Also, three paragraphs actually made me tired! Hahaha

10 Likes

Since it looks like you found it I won’t mention where I read it just in case it’s a tos issue…

But yeah it’s very unpleasant. It’s reading practice I guess, but…it’s not impactful in a good way. It just hurts your soul

It just appears randomly over the internet and its sometimes obscure enough that you would miss it. Particularly the fact that its often referred to as 177013 (its code on a popular site) makes it easier to miss too. The book I read a couple of volumes awhile ago, oresuki, had a character that looked like MC and gave rise to memes like this, too.

5 Likes

Main post

Finished reading through volume 6 of Yotsuba, as I read the last two chapters this weekend.

Yotsuba volume 6

Was a good volume, although I liked the previous one better. Having the bicycle be a common element in the stories is pretty smart. Didn’t experience much difficulty while reading it. I looked up a few words here and there after reading. Took about 15-30 minutes per chapter, which I feel is alright and makes sticking with it a good idea for now.

chapter 40

Was a pretty cute chapter of yotsuba trying to chase fuuka to make her drink some of that milk. Obviously dad got angry, as she broke her promise.

chapter 41

Yotsuba getting house arrest (謹慎) from that incident and telling Jumbo is some nice continuation from the last chapter. This chapter had a bit more dialogue as they put together the bookshelf, but it wasn’t so bad. Yanda appearing made for some good screenshots.

I’ll start reading volume 7 tomorrow. I like starting a new week with some new material after all.

11 Likes

嫌な奴が来た… :fearful:

Anyway, this Yotsuba manga looks really interesting!

3 Likes

:ballot_box_with_check: Day 6

Almost one full week? That’s wild…
Like a couple of people mentioned, I too have been staying up late to finish my reading goal for the day.

Today I’m halfway through chapter 2 of カラフル! The story is picking up, and I’m getting used to the writers style, which is really exciting.

I wanna mention, mostly for the people who feel like they aren’t reading enough/fast enough, it takes me literally hours of study to read like 8 pages in this book. Like 30Ish minutes per page. If I were reading easier stuff, I could be reading quicker… but I like the words and phrases, and am enjoying taking the time to learn <3

Love this challenge and all the different peeps here with all their different resources, just doin our best.

8 Likes

I love getting notifications of people updating the wiki summary table. It’s exciting to see that people are participating and reading every day :eyes: :sparkles:

7 Likes

2012-06-06, day 5
After watching LP with subs, I picked up カニバル・フラン manga and decided to slowly read it.

?観養植物?

観養植物 flies over my head. DeepL and Google think it’s 観葉植物(養 and 葉 both are よう), and there are only 6 results for exact search “観養植物”. Jisho says that other kanji form is 観用植物. I’m utterly confused

Overall art style is really cute.

6 Likes

Well, Google translate translated 観養植物 as “Ornamental plants”…

1 Like

I obviously don’t know the context, but I’d personally guess it’s probably just a typo/misconversion for 観葉植物, since they’re read the same as you mentioned(since if it was a real word or alternate spelling that actually was used I figure Google would return more than single digit amounts of results)

4 Likes

Now I am disappointed that they never invited me as a guest for the podcast.

Good work we won’t forget your sacrifice vanilla 先輩.

Today I read 20 more pages ふらいんぐうぃっち manga four more days and I will have finished it.

3 Likes

:ballot_box_with_check: June 1: かがみの孤城 上 (63 pages)
:ballot_box_with_check: June 2: かがみの孤城 上 (20 pages)
:ballot_box_with_check: June 3: かがみの孤城 上 (90 pages)
:ballot_box_with_check: June 4: かがみの孤城 上 (40 pages) + 日の鳥1 (10 pages)
:ballot_box_with_check: June 5: かがみの孤城 上 (112 pages)
:ballot_box_with_check: June 6: かがみの孤城 上 (69 pages) ~ Finished

かがみの孤城 really is a fantastic novel, can’t wait to read the second part!
It was a good week for reading.

Plans for the next week:
Read a bunch of かがみの孤城 下 (383 pages)
Finish 日の鳥1
Finish とつくにの少女1
Continue 風立ちぬ

10 Likes

Summary post

June 6 Yay, Sunday was super chill :3

・Finished the rest of chapter 9 of Subete ga F ni Naru. (77% → 82%) 'Twas a short chapter (32 pages). This means I can spend time reading other stuff until next Saturday. Or read ahead. Next chapter is over 60 pages after all.

・Finished Yagate Kimi ni Naru 4. Took two and a half hours, I think.

Sometimes, one forgets the most basic stuff that you learn early on in your language studies. Came across 八ヵ月 today and didn’t know how to read it, lol. Here’s a link for counting months if somebody needs a refresher too: A Guide to the Japanese Counter-ish Word: 月 (Months)

11 Likes

Might as well throw my hat into the ring now that I’m far enough in where I think inertia will carry me.

Day 5: :ok_hand:

Read some more Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizokuin (40 → 43%).

I basically haven’t actually read Japanese in a year but I’m surprised at how much my skills haven’t deteriorated. Aside from grammar (but the grammar isn’t very hard in this).

Um interesting things I guess. There’s a book by K. M. Weiland - Structuring Your Novel - where she puts forth the idea that the majority of western novels have plot points at 12.5%, 25%, 37.5%, etc.

In contrast I’ve noticed that (in my experience) Japanese novels tend to use this kind of three part plot system (or smth, as opposed to ~8). Lo and behold, the foil to the thief protagonist, a detective, shows up at exactly 33% into the book.

Might just be my upbringing but I do feel like the western pacing is superior. 33% is wayyy too far into a book to finally have things start happening.

8 Likes

Main post

Day 6
レベル別日本語多読ライブラリー - レベル2 - 色々な国の昔話ー中国ー ホウイと千ヤンア

Just read a full story from a graded reader in like 15 minutes, so I’m quite happy :slight_smile: I did not feel like it was tiring to read, so it’s nice to see that I’m making progress !

Also there was only one word I did not know but then I realized it was the radical 弓 that I learnt in the first levels of WK. I see that the kanji is on level 18 so I won’t learn it anytime soon, but I’m happy to have seen it in the wild :smiley:

8 Likes

Wiki post

June 6 Update
Just a quick update today. Read this week’s 日常 chapters and an additional one (ch. 11 - 13) before I ran out of steam. Took about 30 min all said. I don’t particularly care for the manga, but I’m almost done with it so I might as well finish it at this point.

10 Likes

Summary post

Day 6: June 6th
What did I read?: 不可解なぼくのすべてを Vol. 1
How much did I read?: 3 chapters??? (78 pages) - Finished the volume!
How long did it take me?: 2 hours

Well, it was a much better day for reading today, apparently xD Really did not plan on reading for that long, but the warm fuzzies of Ch. 4’s ending and the adorableness of Mogumo+Tetsu in Ch. 5 pulled me in hard and made me want to finish the whole thing (but then Ch. 6 hit with the drama lol, wasn’t really expecting that to happen xD). I really liked this manga, I want to continue on with this series for sure.

I keep forgetting to do this haaa whoops :bowing_woman: goes to update the table

Yeah, this feeling was also hitting me today. Like…I know this kanji. I should definitely know this kanji. …It looks so familiar. I know I know this kanji. …What the heck is it it was 履く, I was so annoyed, like come on brain, are you for real, you couldn’t come up with はく

12 Likes

June 6th. Time: 1.5 hour. Manga Pages: 4
What: Manga からかい上手の高木さん (Volume 1), current pick of ABBC. Chapter 6, Pages 7-10.
Met and found new N4 grammar point ようだ.

10 Likes