📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2021 🏖🏖

Summary post
July 12

Didn’t get much reading done today. Gave Ningen Shikkaku a try, but wasn’t exactly what I needed to read right now, being a bit of a droopy plant the last few days, so to speak. Instead, re-read a bit of (つめ)たい密室(みっしつ)博士(はかせ)たち - Doctors in Isolated Room, chapter 1 part 6. Has been a while since last time, after all. Was all I managed today.

Long title, how to abbreviate… :thinking: (つめ)たい密室(みっしつ) :eyes: yeah

15 Likes

Summary post

Not done an update in a while! Last week was a real struggle, had so little motivation to do anything at all. However - I only missed one day, which is disappointing after I hadn’t missed one so far but a lot better than it could have been. The days I did read, I generally managed one chapter a day, which is less than I was reading for most of last month but still something I would have seen as really impressive before this challenge so I’ll take it :slight_smile: Feel like today I’ve finally got over my setback and feel pretty much back to normal. I celebrated by reading 3 chapters of 鬼滅の刃4 - It was a true shonen manga experience where the first chapter took maybe 40 minutes, then the next two chapters were mostly fighting so only took 15 mins each. Still, was really nice to get back into the flow of reading again. Oh also, in my last update I said that I was going to aim to be starting the 鬼滅の刃 light novels next month…I’ve since looked up reviews and it appears that they are real bad hahaha. So back to the drawing board! I do still quite fancy the idea of a light novel of something I’ve read the manga of so perhaps ハイキュー!! :thinking:

14 Likes

Read for… longer than planned today. Need to stop having mini cliffhangers between chapters of this manga. I finished another volume today and am just opening the new one, since the last one ended on some big fun drama!

Read 1 chapter with my fewest look-ups ever because I was lazy and had something else running on my phone that I didn’t want to swap away from…Only looked up 17 words, when I was really bewildered. It was fun just going with the story and I was more okay with missing a few details than usual. I think it helped that there were relatively few wall-of-text segments in that chapter.

Going to try to reduce my look-ups as I continue through - I’m realizing that I get more of it than I think I do.

As a side victory, there was a text message in one of the panels (so no furigana) and I could actually read all of it - it was not difficult, but still exciting! (Okay, I screwed up on the person’s name at the top of the message, but to be fair, they never use his last name so I didn’t really remember what it was, and it contained some of the same kanji as another character’s name - context made it extremely clear that I was reading it wrong very quickly)

Did I mean to spend a large chunk of today reading? No… no I did not.
Am I glad I did? Heck yes!

14 Likes

Main post

Day 42 :ballot_box_with_check:
Satori Reader: The River Sanzu, Episode 16.

14 Likes

Summary post

Day 42: July 12th
What did I read?: レンタルおにいちゃん Vol. 3 (finished the volume)
How much did I read?: 113 pages (3 chapters)
How long did it take me?: 1.25 hours

That last chapter…my emotions :cry: I’m sort of nervous about what the next volume’s going to bring… I’m happy for Kanami finally deciding to get out of that house with her brother, and for Makoto being the sweetheart he is wanting to take her in, but why do I feel like a BIG confrontation between Makoto and Kazutaka is coming…I’ve been sort of waiting for that to happen ever since the first volume and I feel like it’s going to get even uglier now that Kanami’s actually running away to live with Makoto. Definitely going to have to start the next volume tomorrow.
I still didn’t clean my apartment…tomorrow for sure.

15 Likes

Home post

July 12th からかい上手の高木さん 2 difficult / non-trivial panels from Chapter 6.

Still haven’t recovered from the move, and there are more tasks still to do including sorting out problems with our internet connection, so it’ll be a slow crawl for me for a while still.

14 Likes

How about つめたち? :eyes: I think the japanese way to abbreviate is until you can’t recognize it anymore unless you already know about it. :joy:

I read 2 chapters of 青の王 as well as 2 chapters plus side stories of 異世界妹, finishing 電子版2. From time to time the art and concept/characters really do remind me of disgaea. I haven’t felt like playing games in general lately but maybe this will spark that again. ^^

I read volume 2 of からかい上手の高木さん. I wasn’t planning to continue this series, but the first 4 volumes are free to read on Amazon kindle (and probably other platforms) right now, so why not.
Then I got busy with work and finishing a drawing, but I managed to read one more chapter of 青の王 in the evening. Things are drawing to a close! I was wondering when it seemed to be the endgame at 80% already, but it seems they’re wrapping up all the loose ends.

14 Likes

Hahaha So true! I was thinking I need to abbreviate ぼくはイエローでホワイトでちょっとブルー、but had no idea how to go about it. By your logic maybe I should try ぼくブルー :durtle_megane:

9 Likes

20 more pages of 1Q84 Book 2, up to 190. I’ve decided to have another reading session each day, for a total of about 1hr 30+ minutes. I’m really intrigued by this book (and, honestly, really depressed by it too haha)

14 Likes

:ballot_box_with_check: Day 42

Read 1/3 of chapter 4 in 僕はブルー!

It’s walls of text with a lot of information about the education, political, and housing systems in the UK. I’m not getting a lot of fun words or phrases to share with you all (one reason being the author is using and explaining a lot of idioms from English.) I’m hoping that by the end of this I’ll be able to read the newspaper.

13 Likes

Today I read ひげを剃る。そして女子高生を拾う。again, this time page 15-21, and it is not even evening right now ^^ I’m so happy that I’m taking the time to learn all the grammar and look up all the words right now. This was the first time I could read some whole sentences without looking anything up, which makes reading so much faster!

I hope I’ll get some more reading done tonight and the rest of this week. See if I can finish the first chapter by the end of the week :eyes: (43 pages).

15 Likes

I haven’t read much lately, but the 2nd half of July will be better. This will be another busy week, but from next week I’ll have more leeway.

I still haven’t missed a single day, though, and making good progress with 魔女の宅急便その6 (the final volume). At page 260 out of 407 right now, will wrap this up within the next week or so. This means I’m on track for my 500 pages goal.

Oh, and and I’ve read ほのぼのログ, but that’s only a collection of illustrations with very little text.

I’ve also ordered books and manga for the first time in two years. My backlog is still long, so I didn’t buy any new manga series, only missing volumes of とつくにの少女, あさドラ!, 3月のライオン, 銀の匙 and よつばと!.

As for novels, I bought the remaining books in the がばいばあちゃん series I’m so fond of as well as 推し、燃ゆ and コーヒーが冷めないうちに. I’m confident I will read these soon. It’s always good to have some 200-page books that I can comfortably finish in a few days between the longer 400+ pages ones.

I’m hoping to finish one or two more books in July after 魔女の宅急便その6 and a couple of manga volumes. We’ll see.

15 Likes

4 more pages of Forbidden Scrollery(2). About 12% complete of the saga where heroes wonder the eternal question: why rum sake is always gone.

11 Likes

Good choice. :joy:

Today I read half of それでも歩は寄せてくる vol.1 and the last 4 chapters of 青の王. :partying_face: the other 2 in the series sadly aren’t available on unlimited. And they’re expensive! Almost 2000 yen per volume! So I won’t be reading those until either the price drops or I find them used somewhere. I liked the book, and the art is lovely, so I’ll be looking forward to that time. :blush:
It’s not like I need more books to choose from anyway.

13 Likes

Summary post
July 13 More droopy plant mood

Remembered that there were stuff I couldn’t remember, so I re-read/skimmed through chapter 1. Got the important details now.

omg, spot on :joy: I have no idea what to go for yet, but thanks for the tip! :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Finished the first volume of the manga マジャン ~畏村奇聞. Lol I didn’t understand any of the mahjong game rules or what happens during the mahjong game. They were screaming リ-チ and ポン all the time. Nothing interesting happened in the second half. The evil dudes tricked the girl Takumi into entering a room which is forbidden for woman, As a punishment they were playing mahjong and Takumi was the prize. Every round the evil guy ウナギ won Takumi had to take of a piece of her clothing. She was sitting in her underwear at the end of the manga.

I wonder what I should read tomorrow. I still have over 100 manga volumes to read, some books, manga magazines, videogames, visual novels…

15 Likes

Maybe it’s worth reading up on the rules of Japanese mahjong if you’re gonna read a manga called “mahjong”. :stuck_out_tongue: There’s a whole wikipedia article about it. ポン = three-of-a-kind set, リーチ = player is announcing they’re one tile away from winning, because the hand is worth more points when they do that.

7 Likes

Summary post

My main reading today was 鬼滅の刃 - read three chapters which took me to the end of the 4th volume. I was a little worried because vol 3 introduced some new characters that I found fairly annoying, but I’m slowly starting to warm up to them. Except from when 善逸 is a complete creep to women, bleh . Characteristically, the volume ended on a double cliff hanger. I should stop reading for the day (at least on my iPad) but it sure makes it hard!

While I’ve not recorded it, I also got distracted during work and read a bit of a random visual noveley type game that I downloaded onto my phone cos I figured out how to. I did zero research into whether or not it’s any good (it seems like a very silly dating sim type thing with the concept seeming to be that you’ve gone back in time and are flirting with a bunch of Japanese historical figures), but it is voiced (except from the protag) which is pretty nice. It made me realise how little Japanese history I know (because pretty much all of the characters that were introduced the MC is like “oh yes, I know about them! They are famous! I learned about them in school!”…and I have heard of none of them haha. Prompted by that, I have downloaded ねこねこ日本史でよくわかる 日本大事件 (which I had bookmarked a while back after seeing it reccomended on these forums) onto my kindle to try to learn at least a little bit more (plus it has cute cats!). Might try a couple of pages tonight and see how I find it :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Main post

Day 43 :ballot_box_with_check:
Satori Reader: The River Sanzu, Episode 17.

Getting close to the finale, only 3 episodes left then starting a new story! There are a few long ones that look interesting but also very intimidating. These series I’ve read have been 12, 27 and 20 episodes, but there are some with 50 or even over 100; those feel like quite a commitment. Which is not bad, if the story is good the more episodes the better, it just feels juuuust slightly suffocating, because that’s a hundred days of daily commitment supposing I read on episode per day. I guess I could read two series at the same time, but I don’t know how I feel about that, I kinda prefer just focusing on one. But anyhow, new series in 3 days :smiley: I don’t know which yet.

13 Likes

Summary post

Day 43: July 13th
What did I read?: レンタルおにいちゃん Vol. 4 (finished the volume)
How much did I read?: 220 pages (5 chapters - the whole volume)
How long did it take me?: 2 hours and 8 min

BYE MY HEART :sob: I went and read the whole darn volume because I literally could not stop. (It only took me 2 hours, is this a new personal speed record? I’m not sure, but maybe lol) From the start of the volume it did not go how I expected it to go. Honestly Kazutaka’s backstory broke my heart, I mean I agree with the other characters that it doesn’t really excuse his treatment of Kanami, but damn, that poor boy. I’m so happy he made the choice to change and get help.
Also, if anyone was wondering, I did clean my apartment today, finally

16 Likes