📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2021 🏖🏖

Summary post

Day 39: July 9th
What did I read?: ふらいんぐうぃっち Vol. 10 and レンタルおにいちゃん Vol. 2
How much did I read?: 21 pages (1 chapter) and 30 pages (1 chapter)
How long did it take me?: About 20 minutes each (40 min total)

So much wholesomeness in these readings today :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
First, I started the new Flying Witch volume with the book club - I didn’t realize how excited I would be to get back into this series haha, I think the break helped me get some enthusiasm back. Then, after I finished off this week’s chapter of Flying Witch, I felt like reading a bit more, so I picked up Rental Onii-chan and read another chapter of that too. We met Makoto’s friends, who are absolutely charming and lovely people. One of them has a dog, and the dog’s name is Ron :pleading_face::pleading_face::pleading_face:

12 Likes

Main post

Day 39 :ballot_box_with_check:
Satori Reader: The River Sanzu, Episode 13.

Still no IBC :sob: It’s been two weird days, I’ll need to catch up part of last week’s schedule and the next one.

11 Likes

I’m also reading 蜘蛛, and I was confused about this. Like you said, 龍 and 竜 are used in a way that clearly differentiates them (and having both has specific logic within the book’s world), but if they’re saying it out loud, and both are pronounced りゅう… how do they know which they’re talking about? Or are they read differently with the different kanji?

8 Likes

Wiki post

July 9 Update

I didn’t think I’d get to read much at all, and definitely not during the first part of this short vacation, but I really lucked out! The friend that I’m visiting has visited Japan before and bought the first two volumes 赤髪の白雪姫 in Japanese! It’s not a book I’d ever think to pick up myself, but it does mean that I can get some Japanese reading done during these three days here, so I’m feeling really grateful. It’s about the same level as all the other manga I’ve tried, though for some reason I seem to be struggling with some of the sentences being used here. Maybe it’s a grammar issue? Need more examples to diagnose. Overall, it took about 1.5 hours to read a chapter, most of which was spent figuring out the occasional confusing sentence.

I’ll keep reading this and see if I like it enough to continue past easy availability.

12 Likes

I think it’s 書き言葉. In a conversation they’d probably say 龍とドラゴン。

4 Likes

Home post

Hello from July 10th 11:50pm, just finishing up my reading for today after spending the whole day moving house, realised I hadn’t posted for yesterday, so here we are, I guess I’ll post about today tomorrow…

July 9th update
I spent all day working, and then all night packing to move the next day
At the end of yesterday I sat down and realised I’d only read most of a single hard panel, and that that wouldn’t cut it, so I pushed myself to do one more, and then one more.
I managed to get through almost 3 pages (the hard part of the single panel still remains undone…).

からかい上手の高木さん started chapter 6, most of first 3 pages (missing one part of one panel…).

Overall I consider nearly 3 pages a huge success given everything going on, and it’s all thanks to this challenge.

See you on the other side (tomorrow).

13 Likes

Four week streak!

Main post with daily updates

I’ve been meaning to start up another manga since I finished the last one but I got side tracked with reading random articles on Japanese Wikipedia.

It’s been fun reading an article a day, having no idea what I’m gonna read. I’ve learnt quite a bit already and feel like my reading speed is improving, at least, my kanji recognition has improved, even if the large kanji clusters are still as daunting as anything.

13 Likes

:ballot_box_with_check: Day 38
I read until halfway through chapter 3 of 僕はイエローでホワイトでちょっとブルー.

:ballot_box_with_check: Day 39
Today I finished chapter 3! I changed my reading habit for this book, where I’m not looking up words unless I really need to. It made such a big difference in terms of just enjoying reading.

Everyone here is doing so well!! :notes:

13 Likes

Wiki post

July 10 Update

Today’s reading got done a bit earlier since my morning has been free and relaxing and my evening is going to be busy. Finished another chapter of 赤紙の白雪姫, which took about an hour and 15 min total. I’m encountering a lot more polite vocabulary here which I think is throwing me off a bit. Sentence structure continues to be more of a problem than usual. The story is cute so far though, very much something middle-school me would have liked.

13 Likes

Huh, time flies :flushed: I should probably post an update:

July 5: Finished the week’s assignment of 殺人出産.
July 6-10: Read the week’s assignment of 冷たい密室 every day but only managed to finish today (one day late). The week was so busy with two Euro Cup soccer games going on (I only watch big tournaments and not the national league games, but this was the semi-finals so wanted to check them out) and on top of that I chatted with a Japanese friend twice in this week (usually we only chat once per week).
Now I’m behind on the コーヒーが冷めないうちに book club but I will hopefully manage to read it until tomorrow’s read aloud session starts :grimacing:

14 Likes

Read couple of pages of Forbidden Scrollery (2).
Including first title pages with TOC etc, it’s 4%

11 Likes

Summary post
July 10 Continuing the binge

・Read the rest of vol 13 + 14 and 15

Binging be like:

17 Likes

Main post

Day 40 :ballot_box_with_check:
Satori Reader: The River Sanzu, Episode 14.

Still no IBC, going through some rough days where I don’t feel like doing much, just binging video games or something. Kinda bummed about it but ehh, what can you do, some days do be like that. I’m glad I still look forward to complete the day tho, even if it’s just one single Satori Reader article.

13 Likes

Summary post

Day 40: July 10th
What did I read?: 地縛少年花子くん Vol 1 and レンタルおにいちゃん Vol. 2
How much did I read?: 21 pages (Half chapter) and 41 pages (1 chapter)
How long did it take me?: 52 min and 34 min

Another double-feature day, with the Hanako book club reading and some extra reading from Rental Oniichan. I was sort of on the fence about whether I wanted to read Hanako with the club - the premise/title/art didn’t really speak to me for whatever reason. But I ordered it kind of impulsively while I was trying to fill up my Amazon cart (gotta make that shipping cost worthwhile :sweat_smile:) and now that I’m reading it, I think it’s cute so far. It took me a bit longer to read because I was adding words to the vocab sheet as I read. Trying to be a contributing member of society for once lol

…Speaking of Amazon, I’ve been finding a lot more things I want to read lately (like literally the day after I placed that order, I found a bunch of other stuff I wanted lol, and I’ve only been adding to that list since). But I’ll probably hold off on ordering anything until the end of July. …Feeling so impatient though :sweat_smile: There was this random ad for a new manga inside the new Flying Witch volume and it looks so cute, I want to read it ><

12 Likes

July 10. Time: 1 hour. Manga Pages: 8
What: Manga それでも歩は寄せてくる (Volume 1), current pick of ABBC. Chapter 1, the first read thru, without much lookups, not done with it.

And I missed 12 days of this challenge for no good reason! Why do I keep loosing good habits so easily :frowning_face:

13 Likes

I haven’t posted an update here since June 17, so I’ll avoid the list of pages read per day or it will take forever - plus I don’t even remember it!

Updated road map

Since the beginning of June I’ve finished Vol. 1 of からかい上手の高木さん, 日常 and started reading それでも歩は寄せてくる and 地縛少年花子くん. I’ll try to keep this pace until the end of summer, while making my way through TRY! N4.

みんなさん、頑張りましょう!

14 Likes

Some more of 青の王! I really like the illustrations in this book, they’re very elaborate and quite unique.
I also read half a chapter of 赤毛のアン.

Finished that chapter of 赤毛のアン! It’s been over a year now since I started it… Eventually I’ll be done, haha. Also read 2 more chapters of 青の王. ⅔ done!

Another 2 chapters of 青の王, as well as 8 pages of 使ってはいけない日本語.

At some point I also read a chapter of 異世界妹 volume 2, a manga, but I’m not sure what day that was.

My goal of concentrating on non bookclub books is going well. So well, in fact, that I got quite behind with 1Q84. :upside_down_face:

12 Likes

I don’t usually read on the weekends but I did read the a bit of the appendices of A Dictionary of Intermediate Grammar, does that count?

7 Likes

Read 4 more pages of Forbidden Scrollery(2) now at 14/185 pages 7.5%.

I think it’s second day I’ve skipped IBC. However I’ve asked myself do I really miss it? is there a character whom I find interesting, and the answer after 3 weeks of reading is “no”.

Anyway my vacation is ending today, and IBC already cut time that I might spent on Touhou.

10 Likes

Home post

July 10th phraw, but sadly not for reading. Posting from end of day July 11th, because moving houses so behind on my updates.

July 10th からかい上手の高木さん 2 panels from page 5 of chapter 6.

13 Likes