📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2021 🏖🏖

Summary post
July 6

・Finished SAO 8 (p 371 → 416) I liked the last side story. Explored some actual plot related stuff and had a nice pace, felt like watching a video game. Would love to explore more in-game stuff. The second side story felt kind of random and had too much describing stuff at the start, but I liked the action and the ending wasn’t too bad. Also liked the first side story (which was the longest one, more than half the book) - I remembered parts of it from having watched the anime years back.
Overall, pretty okay book. I don’t have the next book, but I do have SAO Progressive book 1. Will probably read it later this year.

・Finished Kono Oto Tomare vol. 5
・Read 70% of Kono Oto Tomare vol. 6. Will try to finish the rest of the volumes before the “free” campaign ends next week. Good series so far, I really enjoy it.

16 Likes

Day 8: July 6th

At home before bed

Read:
気のきいた短いメールが書ける本:メール術
・折り入ってのお願い(2 pages)

Had a busy day and completely forgot to read, fortunately I remembered right before turning off the light. Just two pages but it counts!

15 Likes

Home post

July 6th からかい上手の高木さん started chapter 5 and ended up reading 6 pages which I think is the most I’ve ever got through in one day, I just … kept going? Having a lot of my hand function back helped, I was able to write out lines for breakdowns much more quickly.

15 Likes

Summary post

Day 36: July 6th
What did I read?: いつでもサメーズ
How much did I read?: 18 pages
How long did it take me?: 25 min

Back to working and being a part of society today (boo). Didn’t feel much like reading today, so decided not to push myself too hard. …I mean, I read two manga volumes yesterday, I think I can cut myself some slack today xD

Today's favorite shark page is...

Look at these cool guys :sunglasses::sparkles: Poor シュモク though :rofl:

15 Likes

Hang in there! You’ll get the job you’re meant to get eventually! What kind of work are you looking for?

Job searching is so stressful, at least for me. I’m searching now too.

8 Likes

Wiki post

July 5 Update

I attempted another couple of pages from 君の名は, and they were significantly more difficult to get through than the last few pages I’ve read. It took about an hour, and I had to spend some time figuring out sentences. I wanted to read two more pages but I just didn’t have the energy to do so, so I left it at that.

July 6 Update

Today was another day like yesterday where I didn’t have much energy. Read about 14 pages from ホリミヤ and called that good enough, even though not a lot happened and it only took 15 min. That’s 15 min better than nothing, I guess. I think reading this week (and potentially next week too) is going to be difficult since I’ll be traveling and visiting friends, and the number of books I can bring with me are limited (I prefer physical books to e-books). Still, I’ll do my best to keep up and do at least a few pages every day.

16 Likes

Thanks! I don’t have much grounds to complain, I’m already working in the same field (public sector policy) - this was just a role in a different team that are doing work I was really keen to be involved with! Disapointing (mainly because I was so confident after how well the interview seemed to go) but I’m lucky that I still do have my current job to fall back on so I know I can still pay bills etc etc.

What about you? What sort of thing are you looking for? Best of luck! Applying for/interviewing for jobs is so exhausting so fingers crossed you don’t have to keep looking for too long!

11 Likes

Hahaha Okay, maybe I had more than one glass

12 Likes

:ballot_box_with_check: Day 36

Today I finished chapter 2 in 僕はイエローでホワイトでちょっとブルー!Is it getting easier? Am I just getting used to it? Hmm…

I don’t have my notes, but I do remember learning:
四苦八苦しくはっくする = to be in distress, or “put through the ringer”

12 Likes

Yesterday I read up 4-5 pages of IBC’s book and
some VN and even managed to get meaning of several panels without relying on ichi.moe.

Today I was reading 5 pages from IBC. I’m still go ahead of schedule and I’m going to finish this week reading tomorrow.

10 Likes

Summary post
July 7 Only read manga today, it’s been a while since last time.

・Read the rest of Kono Oto Tomare vol. 6
・Also read vol. 7-9

I discovered that this series has more than the 17 volumes that are currently for free on BW, and is still on-going… I didn’t know! :joy: I’ll have to pay to read the rest when I get there. 24 volumes in total, the most recent one was released in April.

One thing that is scary about binging a series is that I sometimes don’t want for it to end, which makes me end up not finishing the series altogether :upside_down_face: Also when catching up to an on-going one and it takes months until the next release. I’m not very patient :caught_durtling:

16 Likes

Main post

Day 37 :ballot_box_with_check:
Satori Reader: The River Sanzu, Episode 11.

Very low spirits today, this is the most I can do. I’m thinking that instead of 61 days I might push it to 75 days and then 15 of “rest” (meaning that I don’t need to read at all if I don’t want to). I think that’s probably the sweet spot for me for these challenges: 2 months and a half of challenge, two weeks to recover and prepare for the next. For now it’s just an idea and I might feel worn out a few weeks from now, we’ll see :relaxed: But they are as easy or as hard as I want them to be, it doesn’t mean two and a half months of suffering; they can very well be very enjoyable like this month. And of course, although ideal, they don’t need to be done to 100% score.

14 Likes

Main

July 5
Read 25 pages of 青春オカルティーン.

July 6
Started going through my collection of physical Japanese manga/light novels etc to see which ones I might want to try and sell at an event this weekend. Wasn’t certain what I wanted to do with my three volumes of Takarai Rihito’s 花のみぞ知る since it’s been ages since I bought them/read it. Thought I might as well give it a quick read to help determine if I should keep it or not. Decided to read without looking up anything at all, which was all fine and well until they started talking about plant science and micro organisms. :cherry_blossom: Was still able to get the general gist of the story though and read 3/4 of the first volume.

July 7
Finished first volume and second volume of 花のみぞ知る. The art is still pretty darn amazing after all these years. If the third volume is decent story-wise I’ll probably keep the volumes just for the art.

12 Likes

The art really is so pretty. :heart:

I finished 私の押しは悪役令嬢。volume 1. Also started 人間失格 for the ABC. It’s going to take a while for me to get used to this style, I can tell. Might have to re read this part before next week’s.

I read the last 40 or so pages I had left of あせとせっけん. With that I finished the series. :cry: It was mostly drafts with some explanations about the process from there to the finished manga. Lots of handwritten text as well, always a joy.
I also read some more of 青の王. Almost halfway through the book now.

13 Likes

Summary post

:heavy_check_mark: Day 12
July 7

• 乙女ゲームの破滅フラグしかない悪役令嬢に転生してしまった…4
    (67% → 74%)
12 Likes

I started to read volume 1 of マジャン ~畏村奇聞 yesterday. Today I continued to read it but this manga is much harder than the previous ones I have read. Nonetheless I already read 50 pages in two days.

11 Likes

I’m sure someone will like this article :3

11 Likes

summary

Was busy again today so only managed to start reading after 11pm. Probably wouldn’t have read anything if not for this challenge but decided to try the first chapter of 鬼滅の刃4 and ended up really enjoying it! I’ve generally (both because of keeping to bookclub schedules and because of me being me) jumped around different series up until now, switching things up quite a lot. Not sure I’ll stop doing that but it’s been cool seeing how rapidly reading one manga series gets easier when you read multiple volumes in a row. Today’s chapter was a short one (only 20 pages) but there wasn’t all that much vocab I needed to look up and only a couple of panels I had to stop and puzzle out. Feels like a big improvement from the first volume!

I’m thinking that my July goal will be to catch up to the end 鬼滅の刃 vol 8, which would take me up until the end of the movie (I think…I might be forgetting/miscounting). And then in August I want to give the first light novel a try! That’s the plan for now at least haha - will see if it’s doable alongside bookclub reading etc🤞

12 Likes

Wiki post

July 7 Update

Today has been another busy day, so I spent my time reading manga. I finished out the first chapter of ホリミヤ which only took about 30 min. Not difficult, and very cute. I’d forgotten how cute the first bit of this manga is, so it’ll be fun to read through the rest of the volume.

I imagine I won’t have too much time to read while traveling, so it might be worthwhile to (finally) buy some digital manga and read those instead of carrying around too many physical volumes.

13 Likes

I see, well that’s good to hear you’re already with an employer you like! Sounds like a cool field to work in too.

I definitely understand the frustration! It sucks when you think you did well in an interview but it doesn’t turn out. There are so many factors, I try not to think about it, but I always end up agonizing over all the things I could’ve said differently that might have landed me the job.

I’m looking for work as a translator/interpreter in the entertainment industry, probably like coordinating business between Japanese and English speaking employees. I do that kind of work now, but at a board of education in Japan, so the industry transition is the biggest hurdle.

Been slowly looking since last fall, sped up recently and got several interviews with companies I like, so maybe the end is near! Thanks for the encouragement!!

8 Likes