📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2021 🏖🏖

Yeah I played it in english a long time ago but never finished it. I will definitely replay it in japanese one day.

1 Like

Summary post

Yesterday was busy! Readingwise, I reread the first half of chapter 2 kikis on preparation for the bookclub (then did that), and also did the reading section of an N4 mock test haha. The only new reading I did was about half a chapter of ハイキュー while I was giving blood. Given that I had only one hand free I wasn’t looking up anything, but it was still enjoyable and distracting enough.

Today I also had a lot of things to get done, so I just finished off ハイキュー3 (rest of last chapter and mini comic at end). Haven’t met my one (non-reread) chapter per day goal on either day but still feels good to at least read a little :slight_smile: hopefully I should be a bit more free the rest of this week!

14 Likes

Read about 10-15 pages of 1Q84 book 2 before I got bored (around an hour total, up to page 55).
I usually set a goal of an hour plus a day of reading so if I can hit that target before my attention wanes, I’m happy.

10 Likes

I have plans to play Famikom Detective Club on Super Famicom so I recommend that. :eyes:

4 Likes

Summary post

Day 35: July 5th
What did I read?: 不可解なぼくのすべてを Vol. 4 and 5
How much did I read?: 324 pg (2 volumes - yes, you read that correctly, I finished both in one day :sweat_smile:)
How long did it take me?: 6.5 hours-ish

I can’t believe I finished this series today :laughing: I probably should have been cleaning my apartment instead, but :x I seriously could not stop though! I think this is officially the most Japanese I’ve ever read in one day, I never thought I would be able to finish a whole manga volume in a day (let alone two volumes!). But this series was sooo good. What an emotional ride these last 2 volumes were, my goodness. Sakura showed up and everything got so intense so fast :flushed: Knowing this series, I had a suspicion that everything would work out ok in the end, but that didn’t stop me from getting emotional when it finally did :') Now my brain is very exhausted :sleepy:

14 Likes

Home post

July 5th からかい上手の高木さん last remaining panel from Chapter 4

13 Likes

1Q84 Book 2: 20 pages in an hour, up to 75 now. Honestly that’s a record for me. This last month reading the first book, I managed about 10 an hour. Doubling that is massive, to me. Feels like I fell into a reading trance, to be honest.
Oh, I also finished the end of Volume 2 of Berserk and the entirety of Volume 3 today so that’s also swell.

14 Likes

Had a good manga day yesterday. Finished the last half of 五等分の花嫁 4. Then I just randomly started reading 魔都精兵スレイブ 1 as I browsed the temporarily ‘free’ books. I just thought it had nice art, but it got kinda weird :sweat_smile:. Surprised myself by reading the whole volume almost on one sitting. I guess Shounen manga has a bit less text, but still.

Also maybe read like 5-10% of はめふら 2, which is nearly done. Some repetition there towards the end, which makes it slightly long-winded.

16 Likes

:ballot_box_with_check: Day 35

I broke my record yesterday–meant to read in the evening, but ended up with a glass of wine instead :clinking_glasses: My plan is to make up my lost day(s?) after the challenge deadline passes!!

Read a little over half of chapter 2 in ぼくはイエローでホワイトでちょっとブルー. All I can say is that reading this book is honestly such a challenge. I noticed a few of the kanji I looked up are actually coming in the next level of WK, so hopefully that helps.

Summary
  • よみがえる = To be resurrected, to be recalled (memories).
  • 稽古けいこ = Practice, training
  • 射止いとめる = (1)to shoot dead/bring down an animal, (2)to win (a prize, a role, someone’s heart, etc.)
13 Likes

Main post

Day 36 :ballot_box_with_check:
コーヒーが冷めないうちに , 5 pages.

13 Likes

Ohh boy I crashed and burned this week oof.

10 Likes

Summary

Had an interview just over a week ago for a job I really wanted. Thought the interview went pretty amazingly and was feeling (probably too) confident about my chances and then heard back today that I didn’t get it :sob::sob::sob: Wasn’t feeling really in the mindset for reading after work, tried a little 鬼滅の刃 but couldn’t focus enough for it. Thought about just accepting today as a miss but then I remembered that I got それでも歩は寄せてくる when it was free on bookwalker a while back, and as it’s the current ABBC pick I thought it might be a nice easy way to read at least something. Managed to read the first chapter (granted, a very short chapter) - it was indeed a nice easy read and while can’t really judge it yet I’m hopefully that I might like it more than からかい上手の高木さん - the characters seem less annoying (to me) so far. The bare minimum to keep up my streak but I’ll take it!

16 Likes

Wait, these are supposed to be separate?

Summary post

:heavy_check_mark: Day 10
July 5

• 乙女ゲームの破滅フラグしかない悪役令嬢に転生してしまった…4
    (50% → 59%)

:heavy_check_mark: Day 11
July 6

• 乙女ゲームの破滅フラグしかない悪役令嬢に転生してしまった…4
    (59% → 67%)
17 Likes

Summary post
July 6

・Finished SAO 8 (p 371 → 416) I liked the last side story. Explored some actual plot related stuff and had a nice pace, felt like watching a video game. Would love to explore more in-game stuff. The second side story felt kind of random and had too much describing stuff at the start, but I liked the action and the ending wasn’t too bad. Also liked the first side story (which was the longest one, more than half the book) - I remembered parts of it from having watched the anime years back.
Overall, pretty okay book. I don’t have the next book, but I do have SAO Progressive book 1. Will probably read it later this year.

・Finished Kono Oto Tomare vol. 5
・Read 70% of Kono Oto Tomare vol. 6. Will try to finish the rest of the volumes before the “free” campaign ends next week. Good series so far, I really enjoy it.

16 Likes

Day 8: July 6th

At home before bed

Read:
気のきいた短いメールが書ける本:メール術
・折り入ってのお願い(2 pages)

Had a busy day and completely forgot to read, fortunately I remembered right before turning off the light. Just two pages but it counts!

15 Likes

Home post

July 6th からかい上手の高木さん started chapter 5 and ended up reading 6 pages which I think is the most I’ve ever got through in one day, I just … kept going? Having a lot of my hand function back helped, I was able to write out lines for breakdowns much more quickly.

15 Likes

Summary post

Day 36: July 6th
What did I read?: いつでもサメーズ
How much did I read?: 18 pages
How long did it take me?: 25 min

Back to working and being a part of society today (boo). Didn’t feel much like reading today, so decided not to push myself too hard. …I mean, I read two manga volumes yesterday, I think I can cut myself some slack today xD

Today's favorite shark page is...

Look at these cool guys :sunglasses::sparkles: Poor シュモク though :rofl:

15 Likes

Hang in there! You’ll get the job you’re meant to get eventually! What kind of work are you looking for?

Job searching is so stressful, at least for me. I’m searching now too.

8 Likes

Wiki post

July 5 Update

I attempted another couple of pages from 君の名は, and they were significantly more difficult to get through than the last few pages I’ve read. It took about an hour, and I had to spend some time figuring out sentences. I wanted to read two more pages but I just didn’t have the energy to do so, so I left it at that.

July 6 Update

Today was another day like yesterday where I didn’t have much energy. Read about 14 pages from ホリミヤ and called that good enough, even though not a lot happened and it only took 15 min. That’s 15 min better than nothing, I guess. I think reading this week (and potentially next week too) is going to be difficult since I’ll be traveling and visiting friends, and the number of books I can bring with me are limited (I prefer physical books to e-books). Still, I’ll do my best to keep up and do at least a few pages every day.

16 Likes

Thanks! I don’t have much grounds to complain, I’m already working in the same field (public sector policy) - this was just a role in a different team that are doing work I was really keen to be involved with! Disapointing (mainly because I was so confident after how well the interview seemed to go) but I’m lucky that I still do have my current job to fall back on so I know I can still pay bills etc etc.

What about you? What sort of thing are you looking for? Best of luck! Applying for/interviewing for jobs is so exhausting so fingers crossed you don’t have to keep looking for too long!

11 Likes