📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2021 🏖🏖

How did you find it? I might also have downloaded it when I saw it was free hahaha

3 Likes

I liked it! :3 Good story so far, pretty artwork, likable characters… Don’t want to spoil anything so… :caught_durtling: Will definitely read more :+1:

7 Likes

Summary

Today I read the first chapter of 鬼滅の刃 (have I mentioned that I’m terrible for reading too many things at a time?). I was pleasantly surprised for the first half chapter or so (it was a typical first chapter so a bit longer at 63 pages) that I only had to look up a few words per page….then a new character turned up where I had to look up pretty much every single word they said hahaha. This is a manga/anime that I’ve never read or seen and I’ve wanted to cos everyone loves it but am too stubborn to allow myself to watch or read it in English and have had it in my “too hard in Japanese right now” mental category for a while. which….who knows…maybe it will be but why not give it a shot!

I know there is a book club starting up on this soon. I probably won’t hold myself to the book club schedule as I’m reading too many things to book club schedules and kind of want to be able to move at my own pace but will be nice to be able to stop by on that :slight_smile:

16 Likes

Finished 1Q84 Book 1 yesterday, took me exactly a month to finish. Will probs start the next volume on Monday.

14 Likes

Main post

Day 24 :ballot_box_with_check:
Satori Reader: The River Sanzu, Episode 4.
コーヒーが冷めないうちに , 3 pages.

The new Satori Reader series is great already; it’s only been 4 episodes but I’m already engaged :slight_smile: . Also I’m struggling a fair bit with the IBC book. I’ve only sat and read two times so it’s still very early, but it’s definitely a challenge. There are so many words I don’t know it’s quite overwhelming. But at the same time, I’m able to mine a lot of vocabulary just reading and fighting the text. It will get easier, I’m sure, but uhh does it feel uncomfortable ;-; I can only read 3 or 4 pages before I’m totally worn out, and it takes me a long time. I’m gonna fight it though.

13 Likes

Summary post

Day 24: June 24th
What did I read?: いつでもサメーズ
How much did I read?: 7 pages
How long did it take me?: 24 min

Not a lot of time or energy to read today…I have a feeling it’ll be like this for the next week or so, unfortunately. Crunch time at work. But I’ll try to keep reading something daily, even if it’s just a page or two. I’m moving pretty slowly in this book, but I’m kind of ok with it - the main reason I’m moving slowly is because I get curious about the holidays and want to look them up a little bit more (the other reason is that I’m painfully slow at using radical lookup on Jisho, but :sweat_smile:)

I think I accidentally celebrated this holiday today

Also learned about 五月病 (ごがつびょう) - blues experienced by college freshmen or workplace recruits shortly after beginning school or work; the May blues.
A word that makes absolutely no sense here in the U.S., but that just makes me like it more xD

15 Likes

I love this word! It’s right after the Golden Week holidays when you realize that there aren’t any national holidays until the end of July… and the feeling of excitement from the new business year has faded away.

Reading:
Finished 夜は猫といっしょ . Very cute! Very easy. I’ve never had a pet but I want a cat now…

13 Likes

:ballot_box_with_check: Day 25

I read chapter 12 of カラフル! Today was really nice to read. I forgot my pen and so I read the chapter without stopping to look up words. That, plus reading on the train, made the reading and story much more engaging. :train::books:

15 Likes

Main post

Today I’ve read:

• Today’s NHK Easy News.
11 Likes

Forbidden Scrollery, 90/153(58%). Started new chapter, yay!

10 Likes

Summary post
June 25 Short update

・Read Honzuki 5. (39% → 48%)
・Read SAO 8. (page 60 → 150)

12 Likes

Summary

June 25
I had a job interview today and was pretty exhausted after it, but despite that somehow ended up almost accidentally reading the next 5 chapters of 鬼滅の刃. I just can’t control myself when there’s cliffhangers!

I’m finding this manga very readable despite having quite a lot of unknown vocab (my tolerance for that is pretty high anyway) and I’ve also been coming across a few new grammar points which is pretty cool!

Today I came across - 次第だ
& also ~ぬく

…I’ve still not quite decided what to do with grammar I come across when reading (if anything). Just now I note it down and look it up (although for both of these my trusty DoBJG won’t cut it :disappointed_relieved:) or watch a 日本語の森 video the next day or so, but nothing more than that. Toying with the idea of starting to add things to Bunpro to keep track but perhaps that road leads to SRS overwhelm :thinking: The other choice of course is to just keep doing as I am and hope that over time things sink in. Does anyone else have any methods that work well for them for keeping track of/learning grammar that you come across when reading?

9 Likes

I haven’t been updating much it seems. Over the past few days I haven’t felt like reading (or doing anything really) so my pace has dropped to just a few pages a day, until yesterday when I just didn’t read anything in Japanese and broke my streak.

I mean, I was reading the webpage of a bunch of clinics in Tokyo, but that doesn’t really seem like something that would count toward this challenge.

15 Likes

Main post

Day 25 :ballot_box_with_check:
Satori Reader: The River Sanzu, Episode 5.

I wanted to continue reading the IBC today but I ended up being very busy today. I’ll try to do that tomorrow, today one SR article will do.

I use BunPro as well, and if I come across something new, I check if it is there. If it is, I make sure to check both the resources linked (I really like Maggie Sensei, even if I dislike the webpage’s layout ;-; ) and YouTube, either 日本語の森 or other channels that I find explaining the point. Then after checking how it’s used, I add it for reviews, and after this it normally takes care of itself. If I happen to have any new doubts, I check it again. Oh and I also consult the reference book “A handbook of Japanese Grammar Patterns” which is great. I have the Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar as well, which is amazing, but I haven’t bought the Intermediate one yet so there’s a lot of stuff I can’t find in the basic one, so I understand where you’re coming from. I really recommend the other book though, it’s a kind of "not-so-complex, straight-to-the-point kind of book full of example sentences of each grammar point’s use. Eventually I want to complete the Dictionary of Japanese Grammar collection, as well as get the Japanese (original) version of the Handbook.

A mix of all of that has done the trick perfectly so far. Then BunPro makes sure that I don’t forget about it frequently enough to give it another thought every now and again.

Also I didn’t know that 次第 was a “grammar point” in itself, thanks! I learned it from the first volume of やがて君になる . I just checked because I had a faint memory of seeing you there ^^ I haven’t kept reading it though. But it appears quite soon, either the first or second chapter. Edit: Just checked it out of curiosity, it’s on page 55 (supposing it’s the same in every version).

12 Likes

June 25. Time: 20 min. Manga Pages: 1 (but quite a lot of text )
What: Manga からかい上手の高木さん (Volume 1), current pick of ABBC. Chapter 8, Page 16.

Finished the chapter and the club week reading on schedule!
Missed another day yesterday. Honestly without this challenge I would miss much more days.

11 Likes

Bunpro has a bookmark system that I use quite often, I note down grammar when I see it, look it up and then bookmark it for future study. I don’t always study it right then and there but if I see it a ton in what I am reading, it’s probably worth investing the time to study it and add it to the pile. Maybe you can do that?

6 Likes

Summary post

Day 25: June 25th
What did I read?: 不可解なぼくのすべてを Vol. 3
How much did I read?: 26 pages (1 chapter)
How long did it take me?: 23 min

Had more energy than I ever thought I would have to read today lol, so that was a pleasant surprise. My motivation is a mysterious and unknowable force, apparently :woman_shrugging: Looks like we are finally getting back to Koto…honestly I just wanted to give her a hug at the end of this chapter. Looking forward to see how things develop in the next chapter.

13 Likes

So far so good, I even added news reading to my schedule I completely forgot about NHK news though

6 Likes

June 23-25
Been reading Pokémon Adventures. My streak was broken again briefly on the 22nd due to life. I do want to try and add NHK News to change things up. Been mostly reading manga for the past month as part of this.

14 Likes

:ballot_box_with_check: Day 26

Today I meant to read half of chapter 13 in カラフル。 But I nearly finished it! The story is obviously ramping up to the conclusion (there are 16 chapters total) and it’s too good to put down.

I noticed that all this extra exposure is really helping to reinforce the kanji I’ve learned so far. My reviews kinda seem like a piece of cake now haha

Love seeing everyone keep up with their reading! :musical_note:

14 Likes