📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2021 🏖🏖

Forbidden Scrollery. 61/153 completed. At this rate I’ll need couple of weeks to finish it.

9 Likes

Summary post
June 23

・Read two chapters of Honzuki 5. (33% → 39%) I can’t wait for this part of the book to get done, it’s kinda boring 0:

@rikaiwisdom I decided to check out Takoboto for real, and the phone app works offline after all :3 I like the word lists, named one “Add to Koohi”. Cool tiny details like entries for verbs that are marked with を or が to mark transitivity / intransitivity, pitch accent and even has audio! Great app :+1: Again, thanks for the suggestion :grin:

13 Likes

Hey I’m so glad it was useful! :relaxed: It has been a long time since I tried Jsho but I knew many people liked this one better for reasons that I couldn’t exactly point to.

I also have to thank you because I didn’t remember you could manually add words to Koohi and now I do :slight_smile: . I used it for a bit some months ago and I liked it but I have been using Anki lately just for adding context as well. Do you find that missing the context hinders you in some way, or do you do just fine and remember the nuance when you encounter it again? I’m asking because honestly, adding Anki cards is just plain boring and it somewhat keeps me from just relaxing when reading :stuck_out_tongue: . I like Satori Reader’s SRS because it adds the sentence you encountered it in, though it’s obviously possible because the texts are directly from their service.

6 Likes

There have been quite a few words I’ve deliberately not added because I probably wouldn’t remember the context it was used in, so I kind of try to avoid that situation in the first place. I wonder how it’ll go with the lessons waiting from SAO 7 - is going to take at least a week to get through all of them so by then I might have forgotten the context… :grimacing: Usually it’s been fine, but for leeches I just for the life of me can’t remember I just delete them from my reviews. Will learn them later at some point anyway :3

6 Likes

Thank you for your thoughts ^^ I think I’m going to give it a try, especially because with the IBC’s new book I find myself struggling quite a bit in a good way; many sentences are challenging and they really make me spend some time assimilating what is happening, and because I sometimes don’t understand many words, it takes a long time to digest, and by the time I do I’ve already forgotten part of the sentence. And on top of that, I spend a fair amount of time adding cards to Anki, and in the end it takes more than I’d like.

So I’m thinking that maybe by using Koohi instead, I can spend less time on Anki and more energy on actually reading. And then maybe I can use that remaining time for rereading and reviewing the few pages I read the previous day.

Am I really just looking for an excuse to not use Anki? :joy: I mean it’s pretty effective but damn is it boring to use…

5 Likes

Summary

Updating for today and yesterday. Yesterday I was pretty busy so just read one chapter of ナルト. Today I read this weeks ハイキュー chapter for the bookclub. It might just be this weeks chapter but the chapter today was such a pleasant read. ハイキュー (as well as being a super fun manga that I love reading) has become a bit of a progress marker for me, as it was the first manga I tried reading in Japanese and I remember how challenging it was initially. It’s really nice that, while a more tricky chapter still does come along every once in a while, it does feel like a pretty comfortable read now :slight_smile:

12 Likes

I bought that in English, and for some reason I just struggled to get into it. Part of that might be that I just never really had much interest in Touhou (and didn’t realise what it was when I bought it).

4 Likes

Main post

Day 23 :ballot_box_with_check:
Satori Reader: The River Sanzu, Episode 3.

Lazy day, part 2. I have to finish this week’s IBC schedule; I’ll try to continue it tomorrow.

9 Likes

:ballot_box_with_check: Day 23
:ballot_box_with_check: Day 24

Between yesterday and today I finished Chapter 11 in カラフル! We’re 3/4 of the way through the book, and we’re seeing a breakthrough in the main character’s growth.

Chapter 10 and 11 had a lot of conversation with the main character’s father. I noticed I have a hard time understanding middle aged men’s language, though I don’t know why :sob: Anyone else have an age/gender demographic that is easy/hard to understand in Japanese?

Today's new words/phrases:
  • 三球三振さんきゅうさんしん = three strikes and out (Baseball and figuratively)
  • める = lit. To chew on, fig. To reflect on
  • クラクション = a car horn
  • うらみ = resentment
10 Likes

Summary post

Day 23: June 23rd
What did I read?: 不可解なぼくのすべてを Vol. 3
How much did I read?: 26 pages
How long did it take me?: 47 min

I didn’t really feel much like reading today tbh. Probably because I spent so much of my workday forcing myself to read other things that I really didn’t want to read :sweat_smile: But this chapter was so freaking cuteeeee! :hugs::blush::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: More Wデート please :3

13 Likes

June 23. Time: 45 min. Manga Pages: 2
What: Manga からかい上手の高木さん (Volume 1), current pick of ABBC. Chapter 8, Page 14-15.
There was so much text on these two pages! Only one page left in the chapter, but I’m leaving it for tomorrow.

10 Likes

Maybe adding whole sentences and making the word you want to learn bold will help? You are still reading sentences and learn the words in the right context :wink: Takes more time to add to Anki tho

2 Likes

Home post

I had surgery on my dominant arm almost a week ago so I haven’t been able to use that hand much making reading hard, but I’ve been able to keep up with reading at least 1 difficult panel a day.

• June 18th 高木さん chapter 4 page 8 panels 4 and 5
  • June 19th 高木さん chapter 4 page 8 panel 6
  • June 20th 高木さん chapter 4 page 9 panel 1
  • June 21st 高木さん chapter 4 page 9 panel 2
  • June 22nd 高木さん chapter 4 page 9 panel 3
  • June 23rd 高木さん chapter 4 page 10 panel 3
13 Likes

Oh, I didn’t post an update for quite some time… Here goes:

June 18 (cont’d): Started this week’s assignment of 殺人出産
June 19: Finished this week’s assignment of 殺人出産 (which is also the end of the main story) and started this week’s assignment of コーヒーが冷めないうちに.
June 20: Was very busy so I only managed to continue コーヒーが冷めないうちに for one or two pages.
June 21: Still pretty busy so continued (but could not manage to finish) コーヒーが冷めないうちに
June 22: Finally finished コーヒーが冷めないうちに
Hmmm, now I wonder because I also read the final chapter of すべてがFになる at some point - maybe on 19th? :sweat_smile: Anyways…
June 23: Started the fourth story from the 理髪店 book, which is called 空は今日もスカイ. It feels a little bit different to the other stories for a change :slight_smile: The protag is a little girl who is learning some English on her own, and so she keeps practicing English words - which means good Katakana practice for me… :grimacing:

14 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion! :relaxed: I’ve tried that way before but I decided I didn’t like it much because it’s easy to just memorise the sentence and not think about the word at all. I feel that memorising the sentence mindlessly doesn’t guarantee that I remember the word’s meaning in another context. Recalling the meaning and then checking the context on the backside has been more effective for me personally.

3 Likes

Main post

Today I’ve read:

• Today’s NHK Easy News.
10 Likes

I read the last chapter of 妖怪の子預かります! :partying_face:

Only bookclub stuff. D: Read that week’s 殺人出産・すべてがFになる.

Didn’t feel much like reading yesterday, too much work… I managed to read most of the あとがき of すべてがFになる though.

Today isn’t over, but I did finish that あとがき.

10 Likes

So nice to see your updates after a little while @chrisosaurus and @NicoleIsEnough :musical_note:

I hope you have a smooth and quick recovery!

7 Likes
Summary

I haven’t gotten very far at all honestly. Just got through the flashback explaining Luke’s relationship with his adoptive father. I love the art style/music/and just general style of the whole thing. I can’t wait to have more time to get into it though

Reading!
The past three? four? days have been very very busy, but I’ve gotten in about ten minutes reading 夜は猫といっしょ daily which I’m at around the 3/4 way point. It doesn’t have much text though so I’m not quite sure how impressive that is haha. It’s cute and just the right level for my mental energy at the moment.

12 Likes

Main Post

Read another chapter of Yotsuba, had lots of dialogue in it and a couple of words I had to look up, making it a good learning experience. Also really like it, so it will be neat to return to it later. Also read a bit ahead and seems like more fun is coming up in the back half of this volume.

chapter 59

Guess what makes it harder to read this chapter is that the adults are talking more to each other. Funny that they always end up meeting at Yotsuba’s place. Makes me wonder if Jumbo sleeps on the second floor of the store or something. Yanda probably lives in a dingy apartment with instant cup noodles, no wonder his girlfriend ghosted him.

I like how they’re talking about cars, setting up for a future chapter. Definitely had to look up some of the lingo there, such as チンク referencing to a Fiat 500 (チンクエチェント) and my brainfarting on (car navigation). In between Duralumin also got the mumps (おたふく風邪), which I’ll likely forget again because most of my medical knowledge is trapped in Dutch, but it sometimes happens that I’m unsure what it even means in English.

Anyway it’s great that Yotsuba finally got to have her salted beef tongue and some nice Häagen-Dazs. I would go for some yakiniku myself.

14 Likes