📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2021 🏖🏖

June 16 + 17 + 18: Read and finished the third story from the 理髪店 book. This one was a bit harder to read for me initially, so it got a bit dragged out. Also, at first I did not engage with it as much as with the second story. But then there was a nice plot twist which made it very interesting and also a bit mysterious :upside_down_face:

10 Likes

:ballot_box_with_check: Day 18

I finished another chapter! Chapter 9 in カラフル. I had actually read 3/4 of it this morning, but went back (late) tonight to read the last bit.

Too sleepy to post today’s words, but will be sure to update in tomorrow’s post :zzz:

10 Likes

Today I read about 8 more pages of Forbidden Scrollery, completing 37/153 (24%) pages total.

Phrase of the day:
虫食い算 (girls were discussing letter eating bug (“虫食い算はまさに字喰い虫の仕業ね”))

And ねこかみこ uploaded 3rd episode about Create mod.
And though it’s only 8 minutes long(so rare to see videos not stretched to be 10 minutes long) I had to pause and consult with ichi.moe almost at every phrase.
Like “作業環境のさらなる拡張をしてこうかと思います”, “丸投げするスタイル”, “ざっくり言えば水車より上位互換の動力ですかね”
So it took at least an hour to decipher.

8 Likes

Summary post
June 18

・Read 23 pages of SAO 7. (p 200 → 223) This last one third of the book… sad times. Big big spoiler: So many medical words! I learnt names of lots of diseases, like HIV, AIDS, pneumonia… I saw it coming, but this turn of development is still very sad. The new mysterious character being hospitalized and expected to pass away soon. Asuna just wanted to help out with a quest and make friends with them… :sob:

Aaaah, I was going to read more but got totally distracted by a bazillion things ;-; Like having to step up as mom’s tech support for almost the whole afternoon - she got new phone today. Will hurry and go to sleep so can read early tomorrow :triumph:

10 Likes

Rough week at work this week - I’ve been on low-key Japanese - a daily 1-3 chapters of Chi’s Sweet Home. Just wrapped up volume 6 and have been pleasantly finding that some commonly repeated words have stuck. I find myself referencing a dictionary much less often, which is lovely.

100% would not have read most of this week if this challenge wasn’t running. I kept going to bed at 10:30 semi-conscious, and then realizing I needed to read and reading a chapter of Chi before I passed out - probably not optimal for learning.

Spent some time today with the first volume of 極主夫道 - I 100% do not have enough Kanji for manga with no furigana yet (which I knew), but it was fun to go through a few chapters that were familiar-ish. main goal was to recall kanji IRL without furigana - the readings that I recalled were definitely not always the right ones for the compounds in question, but since I often knew one of the two kanji in the word, I’m okay with that. Looking up the unknown kanji was okay. most I could draw - a few were so detailed that I did a jisho radical search because it was easier for me to see the parts than draw them.

11 Likes

Wiki post

June 18 Update

Started on one of the new books, 明日、私は誰かのカノジョ. It’s not divided into chapters, as far as I can tell, so I read about 30 pages before I ran out of stamina. This one doesn’t have furigana (except for names and uncommon words), so there was a lot to look up via radical search. But manga like this is also great because I realize how much I can actually read in Japanese. With respect to manga with furigana, my eyes automatically go to the furigana, even when I know the kanji. Actively stopping myself from doing that takes up a lot of time and only works sometimes (and when I can’t immediately recall something, I automatically look at the furigana and think – oh, yeah, I knew that). When there’s no furigana, the effort it takes to look something up is much greater, so I’ll try really hard to read something by myself. Reading this took about 3 hours and produced about 40 new words for me.

Story wise, I really like it so far. Not much has happened, but there’s hints to the main character’s past, and I’m excited to see how she grows throughout the story. I’m hoping for a happy end.

10 Likes

Main post

Day 18 :ballot_box_with_check:
Satori Reader: Kiki-Mimi Radio, Episode 24.

10 Likes

Summary post

Day 18: June 18th
What did I read?: サメーズ :shark:
How much did I read?: 28 pages
How long did it take me?: 24 min

Today was a stupid day and I’m in a bad mood. People are stupid. And the dinner I ordered to put myself in a better mood was not nearly as delicious as I wanted it to be.

But then this happened

Cutest. wordplay. ever.

甚兵衛鮫 (ジンベエザメ) = whale shark (the guy on the right)
甚兵衛 (じんべえ) = informal summer clothes for men (short jacket and trousers)​

Once again, the sharks made my day just a little bit better. Thank you sharks :+1:

14 Likes

Yesterday I finished my first manga volume :tada::tada::tada:
I am planning on reading it again over the next few weeks to focus on understanding all the sentences, in stead of just reading without a dictionary. Even though I did not look up words, I still learnt some through context, which I am really happy about. I think these words will stick better than the words I will look up later on.

Besides reading manga, I also studied vocab through Anki (2K/6K deck) using example sentences. This week I learnt 380 words through those sentences, so I count that as reading too!

I love how this thread keeps me motivated to just try to read something, even if I do not understand most of it yet at my level. Thank you all for sharing your progress with everyone :hearts:

20 Likes

Finished reading for ABBC and BBC clubs. 日常, chapter 15 was a blast.

11 Likes

My streak is laying in pieces on the ground and have for days. But I’m still here. And reading will be picked up again.

For me, this challenge is more about reading more than I did before, but maybe that just means I’m a bit of contrarian that can’t stick to guidelines. ¯\(ツ)

14 Likes

I count YT subs as reading(in first days of challenge I did only them before branching into manga). No one called me on that so far, so guidelines here are very lax.

7 Likes

Main post

Today I’ve read:

12 Likes

I’m sick and didn’t want to do anything today, so instead I swapped gears for Buddy Mission Bond, which I’m like… a little obsessed with. It’s a detective buddy cop game with a manga style that I picked up a few months ago. Playing detective games in Japanese really feels like a huge test of understanding ability that I only somewhat possess, alas!

13 Likes
So far

:ballot_box_with_check: June 01: かがみの孤城 上 (63 pages)
:ballot_box_with_check: June 02: かがみの孤城 上 (20 pages)
:ballot_box_with_check: June 03: かがみの孤城 上 (90 pages)
:ballot_box_with_check: June 04: かがみの孤城 上 (40 pages) + 日の鳥1 (10 pages)
:ballot_box_with_check: June 05: かがみの孤城 上 (112 pages)
:ballot_box_with_check: June 06: かがみの孤城 上 (69 pages) ~ Finished
:ballot_box_with_check: June 07: かがみの孤城 下 (170 pages) ~ 48%
:ballot_box_with_check: June 08: かがみの孤城 下 (81 pages) ~ 68%
:ballot_box_with_check: June 09: かがみの孤城 下 (116 pages) ~ Finished
:ballot_box_with_check: June 10: がばいばあちゃんの幸せのトランク (136 pages) ~ 50% + 日の鳥1(17 pages)
:ballot_box_with_check: June 11: がばいばあちゃんの幸せのトランク (53 pages) ~ 69%
:ballot_box_with_check: June 12: がばいばあちゃんの幸せのトランク (85 pages) ~ Finished
:ballot_box_with_check: June 13: きよしこ (16 pages) ~ 5%
:ballot_box_with_check: June 14: 風立ちぬ (5 pages ~ 25%) + きよしこ (29 pages ~ 15%)
:ballot_box_with_check: June 15: 風立ちぬ (36 pages ~ 56%) + きよしこ (56 pages ~ 35%)

New:
:ballot_box_with_check: June 16: きよしこ (30 pages) ~ 45% + やさしさいっぱいの土の上で (manga, 1 chapter)
:ballot_box_with_check: June 17: きよしこ (68 pages) ~ 68% + やさしさいっぱいの土の上で (4 chapters ~ Finished)
:ballot_box_with_check: June 18: きよしこ (44 pages) ~ 83%
:ballot_box_with_check: June 19: きよしこ (48 pages) ~ Finished

grafik

I finished きよしこ! Another great book; more in the 多読 thread later. Took me one week.

やさしさいっぱいの土の上で (manga) was a post-apocalyptic, dystopian, philosophical but cute and surprisingly light-hearted one-shot story.

After reading ~2100 pages back to back since mid-May, I’m starting to feel a little burned out. I will finish 風立ちぬ in the next 1-2 days, but then focus on manga, shorter stories (e.g. ムーンライト・シャドー from the キッチン book) and Japanese writing for the next week or so. I don’t know yet, my plans always change. But I will continue reading.

13 Likes

:durtle_love:

As for reading, yesterday I read 1 chapter of 妖怪の子預かります.
I’ve been neglecting the book club reading for 1Q84 until now because the chapter this week is so long. :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

I didn’t feel like reading ahead with かくりよの宿飯 5 (gave up a few pages in). Instead, I finally started reading 天冥の標 3. Only got through the prologue (30 pages) but I’m going to call it a day anyway. I have to pick up the pace if I want to return it to the library on time though.

12 Likes

:ballot_box_with_check: Day 19

Today and tomorrow suddenly became very busy😭 Luckily, I’ve made a habit to read a few pages (Started chapter 10 in カラフル) right when I wake up. Tomorrow I should have time to read on the train. I said I’d post a word list today, but I don’t think I can do that till Monday.

Just happy to be prioritizing reading at all :books: Thank you guys!

12 Likes

Work has been a lot for the last week or so and my reading energy has been low. Also, this weekend my boyfriend is visiting (he’s been away studying) so will lose most of my normal weekend reading & bookclub time (for a very nice reason though so it’s not like I’m complaining!)

That said, I have been reading something everyday…just not finding the time to record it here! Have mainly been sticking to よつばと、ナルト & やがて君になる - as those are my easier reads that I can enjoy even when tired. Have also been reading Kikis…finding it a bit hard to get into, I think because I’ve only had time to read for half an hour to an hour and so only reading 2-3 pages or so at a time, which means I’ve been on the same conversation for multiple days. It’s a big contrast, given that the same word count/amount of reading will cover a lot more plot in most manga which for me helps keep momentum/interest.

Starting to think that a better approach would be to find a bigger block of time to get through a whole chapter on one sitting…or just get faster hahaha.

14 Likes

Well, I finally read again for the first time in… a week or something? I don’t feel compelled to go back and look. I’d rather be in the dark. :joy:

11 Likes