📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2021 🏖🏖

ohhh, so copy paste is ok with books on amazon… I’m used to bookwalker where you can select text, but you can’t “pick it up” in any way, only with yomichan

2 Likes

Again, had a lot of things to do, so didn’t read much today. Also, there were no NHK Easy News today. However, that doesn’t mean I did no reading at all:

• Took some more notes on はたらく細胞。Reached page 152.
6 Likes

Maa, you can’t really copy it on amazon either, but I just use my hackermanskills (aka calibre) to make it doable.

5 Likes

It can be solved with quick css fix. They disable text selection but you can remove this rule with a custom style/script whatever.

5 Likes

ahh I used to use amazon jp but I think they were missing a series I liked so switched to ebooksjapan. I also use the american site a lot for my kindle so it was getting confusing haha. but the text selection and built-in dictionary were great!

I’ve been thinking of switching to book walker for a little while actually! Do you think the page navigation is pretty easy to use?

ohh that’s really useful :open_mouth: ebooksjapan doesn’t allow text selection afaik so looking up kanji has been a pain.

It looks like book walker is having a sale right now where new users get 50% off a purchase so I might just buy the whole hyouka set in one go since that’s the only thing on my ebooksjapan shelf that I would want to carry over :thinking: if referral links are a thing on the site feel free to send me one so you guys can get points when I join :blush:

4 Likes

2021-06-05

氷菓, 1 hour, 8 pages (148-155 p)

Summary post

5 Likes

Yeah, just long-press until the cursor changes and then you can select text :3 (edit: select it with yomichan, I mean) You can take notes in the pop-up box to keep track of unknown words for example, but I think the limit is 50 per book. As for book marks, I don’t think there are any limits, and you can write stuff to keep track of them too. (Note: doesn’t work on books you haven’t bought yet)

1 Like

You know you can che ck out a book preview? It’s the same reader ui as after you have bought the book, so you can get a good idea whether you like it or not.

Personally, I think Bookwalker’s app is pretty bad. Looking up vocab also takes a while as you can just highlight the characters, you need to long-press and get a stupid text selection ui which doesn’t allow you to copy text from it.

1 Like

Summary post

June 5
・Honzuki 4: 72% → 75% Got a bit better at reading while taking bus, not as distracted this time.

・Subete ga F ni naru: 75% → 77% Took me 25 min to read part 1 and 2 of chapter 9. I think I ended up reading a bit faster because I had timer on.

8 Likes

Agreed. I like the app from Booklive (sister company) better. While there’s a length limit, you can copy some text through the quick search option (basically it puts your selection into a google search and you can copy it for real from there). It’s still pretty bad obviously…

Skipped reading yesterday because I remembered it about the time I was going to bed. And this is about reading more overall, not hitting every day like clockwork. I’d much rather skip a day and happily read the next day than making reading a chore to check off a to do list. ^^

Today I read about half of part 4 in the Ask Graded Reader lvl 4 vol 1. The story was quite interesting to start and I found myself reading further than I had first meant to, despite the text being quite dense. Like not hard dense, but it definitely felt meaty to read.

7 Likes

It’s pretty horrible. I hate the lag when you switch to the app. Text selection for me picks up the correct word with just the long press, however, so that’s not that bad. Very rarely do I have to manually select it.

June 3rd: Read chapter 29 of Yotsuba. Also read chapter 10 of Digimon V-Tamers
June 4th: Chapter 30 of Yotsuba
June 5th: Chapter 31 of Yotsuba

I do notice my reading and comprehension getting faster just from forcing myself to read more consistently. While still fatiguing, I feel my stamina getting better.

10 Likes

Main post

Day 5:
Satori Reader: Kiki-Mimi Radio, Episode 8.
Final Fantasy III: 2h.

6 Likes

:ballot_box_with_check: Day 5

I tried to reach my goal (to finish chapter 1), and was two pages away around midnight — BUT FELL ASLEEP! haha

So I woke up early this morning, and finished the first chapter of カラフル. So much drama!

Today's interesting words/phrases

影の薄い = inconspicuous
やけ酒 = drowning one’s cares in a drink
もったいぶる = to withhold (juicy) info on purpose
ふさわしい = cut out for

10 Likes

Summary post

Day 5: June 5th
What did I read?: 不可解なぼくのすべてを Vol. 1
How much did I read?: 1 chapter and a little because I wanted to see what the very dramatically announced 提案 was xD (27 pages)
How long did it take me?: 34 min

Man, I had a hard time getting myself to open up a book and read today. Procrastination station over here. Now I’m tired. But I like this manga so far, I’m enjoying getting to know the characters better. Which begs the question, why was I struggling so hard to open it? :upside_down_face: sigh Why am I like this… struggling to stop myself from being even more negative
…I did do the thing eventually, though. I suppose that counts for something.

11 Likes

Summary post

June 6th reading からかい上手の高木さん chapter 3
I finished the end of page 6 (which I started yesterday), and then also got through pages 7, 8, and 9.

I only got through so many pages as a few of them were quite light. It probably took me like an hour but I wasn’t great at keeping track of time today.

Edit: I went to a cafe and read some more, chapter 3 page 10 was rough so took me quite a while and I only made it partway through. Was super fun though!

6 Likes

Finished my book and decided to read 変身 before bed just to see what it was popular for. Maaaaaan…what the hell. I wish I didn’t now

8 Likes

I used ebook Japan until they got bought by yahoo. Then bookwalker, but I’m honest sick of reading on my phone or tablet even with dark mode on, so I’ve been slowing switching to Amazon Japan for books and keeping manga on bookwalker.

I bought a cheap Kindle just for my jp reading. I’ve been pinged once or twice by Amazon, but a VPN and a Japanese address (my tenso one) have so far made that go away.

I know other people have used booklive and honto but I’m not personally familiar with them.

1 Like

Wiki post

June 5 Update

Today’s reading came from からかい上手の高木さん. I ended up reading all of chapter 6, so I can check off this week’s reading for that book club. Took about 15 minutes, give or take, and I only had to look up a few words. The range of difficulty, compared to the manga I usually read, is both refreshing and greatly desired.

I think you and I were the same person today. Almost “forgot” to read until I realized the day was nearly over, and then I immediately reached for the easiest thing I could read and still check this off.

Thank you for this synopsis, and also how it relates to you! I know what you mean about cis authors focusing on the trauma, and it was a large part of the reason I stopped reading LGBT works a while ago. It’s good to find authors who can focus on other aspects of the queer experience. It’s good to know that this story decides to explore relationships with friends.

I do think Naruto does a good job repeating many of the new words that come up fairly frequently rather than just throwing a ton of vocabulary at you (which is what Haikyuu decided to go with).

8 Likes