📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2021 🏖🏖

Main post

Day 4:
Satori Reader: Kiki-Mimi Radio, Episode 7.

I keep reading late in the night when I’m sleepy D: I have to start reading earlier. Doing alrightish so far, I read two episodes yesterday and the other day (I changed referring to them as chapters in favour of episode, because chapter sounds like I’m reading a few pages everyday, and in reality Satori Reader is divided in article-like episodes that don’t take long to read), but one is alright for today. I’m satisfied for now; might push up a bit when the next intermediate book club starts.

7 Likes

I ended up reading 120 pages yesterday because it was good drama and hard to stop. :sweat_smile:
I just finished the remaining 30 pages and will move on to 放浪息子 for today.

Overall I do enjoy the book (and the series in general). I just wonder why the author felt the need to include weird things as well.

Weird stuff

Nope, turns out that it was all for the lulz. Eh. Moving on.

11 Likes

Feel free to go ask questions in the 本好き volume 4+ thread :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Summary post

Day 4: June 4th
What did I read?: よつばと! Vol. 15
How much did I read?: 1 chapter (38 pages)
How long did it take me?: 36 min (did I actually use a timer this time, yes)

A new week, a new Yotsuba chapter to read~ :sparkles: Four day streak! This makes me feel like I’m finally keeping up with a book club again, instead of constantly lagging behind and periodically binging to catch up. It’s a good feeling :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: It’s been a while since I’ve been able to break out of that binge-lag cycle - hopefully I can keep it going :muscle:

10 Likes

My Home Post

For Day 4, my novel reading went from the 11% mark to the 13% mark. Looks like I’m keeping a consistent 2% increase.

Today’s manga reading: よつばと! Volume 15 Chapter 102

Not much else to say for today. No sentences in my book reading were T1 (meaning only one unknown word), so no Anki cards created today. I look forward to the day when I know enough words that I’m able to sentence mine 1T sentences from what I read.

8 Likes

Wiki post

It’s really motivating to read everyone’s posts and see everyone keep up throughout the day!

June 4 Update
Today was another one of those low-motivation days. Reading is usually one of the first things I do in the morning, but I waited until after dinner today, and had to bargain with myself to do it. I intended to read just 5 pages, then just 10, and then an entire chapter passed. That’s not to say it was easy pushing through. I nearly gave up for the day at 8 pages.

The manga of choice for the day was the second volume of Naruto, chapter 8. I’ve of course seen the anime a thousand times, and read the translated manga another thousand on top of that, but it’s always refreshing to consume Japanese content in Japanese.

(Naruto early content spoilers ahead.) The scene where Kakashi talks about the heroes who died in the line of duty has always hit very hard, and seemed to have an even stronger effect when I read it this time. Naruto’s excitement and then the moment when the realization hits is something that feels a little out of place so early on, but Kishimoto has always been great at pumping out the feels.

I did look up every word I didn’t understand. This resulted in 62 words over 20 pages, the vast majority of which were said by Kakashi, and a handful each by Sakura, Iruka, and the Third. Naruto (thanks to his childish speech) and Sasuke (thanks to his silence) contributed none at all. I’m noticing that across the manga I tend to read, it’s very easy to get used to the children and teenager’s speaking style. Adults (or maybe just authority figures) tend to speak with a lot more variety in their vocabulary and grammar patterns. None of this is surprising, and it’s true of English as well, but it’s cool to notice. It’s always nice when I read manga more geared towards children and adolescents because there’s lots of pages with fully comprehensible conversations.

I wanted to comment a bit more on ふかぼく but it looks like everyone’s got most of the interesting thoughts covered!

Whether or not I look up every word or go by context depends on how readable the rest of the conversation is. Obviously, when there’s only one word per sentence or per person, it’s a lot easier to keep going for a few pages without looking anything up and getting a “good enough” understanding of the material, but when there’s several words in a short span that I don’t know, context kind of goes out the window. In the latter case, I always end up looking up every word. In the former case, I’ll read over the what I do understand several times, and if I’m still dissatisfied, I’ll look up the words.

I should probably rely more on reading from context, but I feel like I don’t know enough Japanese to make that a useful exercise just yet.

This looks really interesting and has been on my want-to-read list for a while now! What are you enjoying about it? I’m always on the look out for more LGBT content to consume.

I’ve seen you (and @Redglare, and maybe some others?) write about your 2% each day and I’ve gotta say that I’m very impressed. Part of the reason I’ve put off reading actual light novels is that they’re so difficult right now that I can only read one or two pages (in the same time it’s taking me to finish entire chapters of manga). Keep up the good work! I’ll look to y’all for inspiration as I progress.

10 Likes

I’m also impressed by my progress =D

Seriously.

I dropped out of the book club for 「霧のむこうのふしぎな町」 partway through (less than halfway).

I dropped out of the re-book club for 「魔女の宅急便」 partway through (less than halfway, but I definitely will get back to it later).

I planned in advance to drop out of the book club for 「君の名は。」 after chapter two, which I did.

I’m currently reading 「瞳の中の暗殺者」 digital, so I have no concept of pages while reading, but my reader puts it at roughly 250 pages. That means two percent is about five pages. (These are like light novel pages, not novel novel pages.)

Those five pages pass by over a long time quickly.

I do look forward to the day when I can say,

But for now I’m taking what I can get!

10 Likes

June 4th. Time: 30. Manga Pages: 2
What: Manga からかい上手の高木さん (Volume 1), current pick of ABBC. Chapter 6, Pages 1-2.
This is defnitely less than I can and should do per day, but it’s already so late, and I’m tired. As usual I have high hopes for a weekend ahead. As usual, it’ll be over too quickly.

8 Likes

I tried joining the 君の名は book club when it started but absolutely could not keep up. Reset my goals so that maybe I’ll be able to join the intermediate book club with the book after the next book. 14 pages a week is more than I can do right now, but I do think reading more books like ふかぼく (i.e. no furigana) helps build pace, confidence, and stamina.

120 pages of a novel or light novel is so far out of my league right now that I can’t even imagine what this means.

6 Likes

よつばと seems to be a popular choice here. Any specific reason? I’m not familiar with it.

2 Likes

It is a manga about the adventures of a child, so a lot of the dialogue is not that complicated. I personally don’t like Yotsubato that much but I know a lot of people really love it :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I added myself to the wiki above, I wasn’t confident about the join/start date.
I made my first post on the 4th I think, but I have been reading since the 1st.

8 Likes

Hmm…I mean I should probably note that as a transmasculine person, the fact that the lead is a trans man is a big sell for me because it’s rare that I get to ‘see’ that aspect myself in any kind of media, much less manga. So that will definitely have something to do with it. But I do think that it you can also tell that it’s written by someone who has lived that experience. More details in the drop down (I’ve stayed high level to avoid spoilers)

サマリー

I think in general the difference for me is that when I’ve read things by cis authors featuring/about trans people they either tend to be a non-stop trauma fest and very ‘this is Trans 101’ (and often really feel like ‘this is what a cis person thinks it must be like to be trans’), or the characters trans-ness is very much backgrounded (I’ve read enough of the former to prefer the latter by now haha). Granted, I’ve only read a chapter so far but the difference to me so far seems to be that because it gets the emotion right, it can make you invested even in the smaller things. While the main character is different from me in many ways there are certain things that happen or inner monologues where I was very much like “oh yeah, I remember thinking just like that” or remembering something really close happening to me and how that felt. So yeah, a lot of my love for it so far is very personal so it might not have quite that level of engagement for all others but idk, I think it’s great so far! Also, I get the sense already that it’s not going to just be about the characters identity (although that’s obviously important) but also about him working with friends to do something he loves and that always gets me.

I also just read this chapter the other day! Was also surprised by the bit in spoilers, just expected silliness from early Naruto tbh. I was originally planning on Naruto being my ‘low effort’ manga but as soon as Kakashi and other adult characters showed up (but mainly Kakashi) I also found myself having to look up a lot. I did notice quite a few times that new words repeated fairly frequently so I’m hoping that over time things might sink in and reduce the amount of lookups needed.

I’m a よつばと fan so I’ll give my two cents here! I think part of it is that as @vonnutje said, it’s a manga that centres around a child and has quite a lot of other child characters so it does tend to have simpler dialogue and more every day vocab generally. It’s probably the only manga I’m currently reading that I can (depending on the chapter) sometimes get away with not looking anything up and feel like I’m still getting a pretty full understanding. That said, I remember finding the first chapter hard (granted, at that point I don’t even think I’d fully covered N5 grammar), mainly due to casual speech and contractions that I hadn’t come across in ‘textbook japanese’ - but really be the end of the first volume it felt much more manageable. That’s the reason people pick it I think…the reason I’ve stuck with it and intend to read the whole series is that I find it really charming and funny. I’ve been reading the first two volumes with a few friends and we’re feeling up to trying a novel next (魔女の宅急便)…but we ended up deciding that we’re going to keep reading よつばと as well (switching back and forth week by week) because it’s been such a fun read. It probably just depends what works for you though - I know for example that Teasing Master Takagi-san is another popular ‘beginner’ choice - I tried that and couldn’t get past the first chapter as I found the characters really annoying - so a lot really does depend on personal taste!

9 Likes
2021-06-{02, 03, 04}

I’ve found another MC LP(霊夢のからくり生活) which recently started with Create mod. It has much more complex grammar than my previously watched LP. E.g. Reimu during tutorial segments goes full politeness(“非常によく回っております”).
I’ve also watched 動物園をつくりたい #1, #2
Can’t say that I easily understand everything, but this particular LP doesn’t provide enough of challenging subs to actually read them thoroughly

2021-06-05, からかい上手の高木さん#6, 日常 #11, #12

Today is a new weekend, so it’s time to visit ABBC and BBC.

Current plan

I’ve found webnovel of re:zero and some touhou manga , so depending on workload at work, I think to check them as well, as LP episodes can be watched fully even during lunch break. I enjoy seeing bite-sized sentences in LPs. They are much easier to break up to parts than grammar from books and it helps that YT generates transcript.

4 Likes

As other people said, the dialogue tend to be simpler, as Yotsuba is a child and other people explains things to her in a simple manner.
It’s the first manga I read and I did find it a bit difficult because of the casual speech and contractions. Also Yotsuba often talks without kanji and I sometimes had a hard time with that as I was not sure where the “words” ended.

After reading the first volume of Yotsuba, I began Flying Witch and I found it a little bit easier though. So I think I will read the available volumes of Flying Witch first, and read the rest of Yotsuba later.

2 Likes

I’m reading からかい上手の高木さん at the same time as 魔女の宅急便 and honestly, I like Kiki quite a bit more :sweat_smile:. It’s actually easier in some ways for me, although more exhausting. As in, I can read a chapter of Takagi-san in half an hour and be fine but with Kiki I read one or two pages (one page takes maybe around half an hour for me) and be like, I’m done.
I’ve noticed Yotsubato’s popularity. I might give it a shot after Takagi-san to practise understanding casual language!

8 Likes

I stole it too :joy:

3 Likes

There happens to be a bookclub reading 1Q84 right now… :eyes: We started Book 2 a few weeks ago, but if you have any questions or feel like sharing your excitement/horror/confusion with others please feel free to use the chapter threads. We love talking about books here. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I think I posted about yesterday? Day 5 is still only halfway underway, but so far I have only read book club books. I finished すべてがFになる chapter 9 today. I kind of feel like continuing a bit ahead… does it count as non-book-club reading if I’m reading ahead of schedule? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I’ll probably read some more 赤毛のアン before bed today, though.

3 Likes

And now people are stealing it from me, since I have post 3 :rofl:
I edited that I stole it from you, but then realised you might get a tag every time I edit the post so better not. Then I realised so many have it, I have no clue who actually did make it! :crazy_face:

So to whoever took the effort to make the beautiful design, we thank you! :heart:

4 Likes

It’s about daily life from a child’s perspective. Most chapters stand on their own, but there is some continuation between events.

Style is very distinctive, not being dialogue intensive and having recurring elements make it easy to make sense what typically happens during a chapter, so it’s beginner friendly. That said the casual speech can throw people off at the start and the background scribbles can be hard to parse at times. So I think more people benefit from reading it.

It’s also pretty wholesome with good art, so it’s a pretty safe recommendation.

I also have shirokuma cafe volumes, which I’m thinking of reading next. It’s kinda similar, except with lots of puns. Helps I’m familiar with these works at least. (Still let it pile up before actually attempting to read).

Had some breaks between reading and it definitely takes some more effort to get used to it again.

3 Likes