📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2021 🏖🏖

Summary post

Day 41
August 5

• 文豪ストレイドッグス21 (1/2 ch92 → 3/4 ch92) (it was a really thick fragment)
  • 乙女ゲームの破滅フラグしかない悪役令嬢に転生してしまった…5 (62% → 64%)

I think I still read too little to have a strong opinion on this, but do you mean the “Japanese fiction is slower” version or “the important stuff happens in different places” version?

12 Likes

I finished the first volume of それでも彼らは嘘をつく.

Already started the next manga (25 pages) イモリ201. It’s about a guy and he’s neighbor, a clumsy girl Inori, who managed to destroy the wall separating their rooms, during training.

10 Likes

I mean the “important stuff happens in different places” version but it’s not like I have read enough to know at all haha. Have just seen a few people saying that.

8 Likes

Main post

Day 67 :ballot_box_with_check:
Satori Reader: Secret, Episode 21.

Today was officially going to be my first missed day, because I’ve been completely in the dumps after the second vaccine with high fever and no will nor drive to do anything at all the whole day. Luckily I’m already feeling better, the fever subsided for now and I could finally sneak in today’s episode. What a day, egh.

12 Likes

Summary post

Day 67: August 6th
What did I read?: 地縛少年 花子くん Vol 1 and 日本のお城
How much did I read?: 26 pages (1 chapter) and 2 pages (1 castle)
How long did it take me?: 1 hour 3 min and 32 min

Time for Hanako is once again a bit off, since I was vocab sheeting it up while reading (lol). Hopefully someone is actually using the vocab sheet xD (honestly though, even if not, the process of filling it out is weirdly soothing, so I don’t really mind doing it when I have the time and someone else has not already done it lol). The spirit world place inside the stair is super cool looking…

12 Likes

If you’re looking for new inspirations on what to read after this challenge, and if you are able to keep up with a faster schedule, or want to read more difficult material, there’s the Advanced Book Club for you! We are currently voting for the next pick, and we will start reading it from Sept 18th. Hop right in if you’re interested :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Haven’t been in for couple days here, I’m still reading Forbidden Scrollery(3) every day(if bookmarks don’t lie I read 3+5+3 pages). Just finished chapter 14 today. Takagi tomorrow.

12 Likes

Just read 50 more pages of イモリ201 manga. I am slowly getting used to reading manga in japanese, right now reading 50 manga pages a day is pretty easy. Of course I still don’t understand every sentence but I understand enough to follow the story line.

11 Likes

Main post

Day 68 :ballot_box_with_check:
Satori Reader: Secret, Episode 22.

I’m having double thoughts about this series. Some episodes are pretty nice, and some others seem a bit boring. I’m not enjoying it overall as much as the others I’ve read before, but I still want to give it a chance to see if it gets progressively better.

@Aislin Perhaps this is the part that you told me about? Since you mentioned that even with that you liked the series, I’m sure it does indeed get better at some point ^^ .

11 Likes

Summary post

Day 68: August 7th
What did I read?: ふらいんぐうぃっち Vol 10
How much did I read?: 25 pages (1 chapter)
How long did it take me?: 29 min

Today was…less productive than I hoped. Basically, I started my morning thinking to myself, “I’m going to read lots today, I’m not going to waste the whole day watching old TV episodes on Hulu like I did yesterday.” I then proceeded to waste most of the day watching old TV episodes on Youtube (because, you know, that’s obviously not the same thing) and then, when I finally got around to reading, I started reading this English novel I haven’t touched in months instead of reading in Japanese. :woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging: Why am I like this. Anyway, I managed to read this week’s Flying Witch, at least. I’m excited for the next chapter because the smol cat creatures have finally made an appearance and they’re so cute, I love them so much already :3

12 Likes

Yes, it looks like our impressions are the same then :laughing: I thought it begins later (around episode 40?) but I checked and yep, it’s that flashback I meant.

Summary post

Day 42
August 6

• 乙女ゲームの破滅フラグしかない悪役令嬢に転生してしまった…5 (64% → 67%)

Day 43
August 7

• 乙女ゲームの破滅フラグしかない悪役令嬢に転生してしまった…5 (67% → 70%)
    including 15 pages of manga between the chapters which I think Kindle is struggling to count properly. it’s fine when it’s either 100% text or 100% manga, but a mix is making it go :exploding_head:
    and it’s impossible to enlarge the images properly in this situation, which also annoys me
11 Likes

Main Post

Finished reading through Yotsuba volume 11, didn’t really have a chance to make an update post until now. It’s a really good volume, with lots of great panels and stories. Might even be my favorite of the bunch so far, although it’s hard to choose. Was also good to return to reading Yotsuba again and see how it compares with Polar Bear Café. Felt easier to read, so I can recommend switching it up now and then to see how much progress you made.

I’ll start reading volume 12 tomorrow.

11 Likes

Main post

Day 69 :ballot_box_with_check:
Satori Reader: Secret, Episode 23.

Nice.

11 Likes

Summary post

Day 69: August 8th
What did I read?: 囀る鳥は羽ばたかない Vol 1
How much did I read?: 21 pages
How long did it take me?: 2 hours 12 min

To be fair to myself, I was also filling out the vocab sheet while reading. But it still took a long time xD I had to take a break in the middle lol, but I do feel like it’s getting a tiny bit easier to understand? Maybe?

11 Likes

I’ve still been reading every day since the challenge ended, which is nice! Have been reading some 鬼滅の刃、kikis & no.6. However, I feel like my progress in all of these may come to a grinding halt for a while as I’ve just started playing ace attorney 1 (in Japanese) and I’m having so much fun! Ive been needing to look up a lot of vocab but there’s a lot of repetition so hoping it will stick, and even if not it’s still a lot of fun :slight_smile: Did the tutorial case and a bit of the first ‘real’ case today :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Yesterday I read 60 pages of イモリ201 volume 1 and today I was pretty exhausted so I only read 10 pages. Either way I will soon have finished it and will have to decide what to read next maybe I will start reading a book.

10 Likes

Main post

Day 70 :ballot_box_with_check:
Satori Reader: Secret, Episode 24.

Today’s episode was nice. Only 5 days left for the end of my challenge! The urges of letting one day slip are getting greater each day :joy:

10 Likes

Ohhh that sounds super fun!
I’ve never played an Ace Attorney game but I’ve always wanted to.

I worry about a game that relies on dialogue, compare with Mario where (as a worst case) I can probably still work it out even without understanding the text.

How have you been finding it so far?
Have you played the game before?
Have you found yourself looking up hints in English?
Sorry for the cross examination >.> <.<

7 Likes

Summary post

Day 70: August 9th
What did I read?: 君には届かない Vol 3
How much did I read?: 33 pages (1 chapter)
How long did it take me?: 1 hour

It has been A Day for me today, mentally speaking :sweat: I was a bit too tired and mentally spent to feel like reading much, but I managed to get started on the next volume of 君には届かない. Gosh, they’re getting so close to having a conversation about it…if only people could stop interrupting them when they’re trying to talk lmao. But I can’t wait to see what happens on this school field trip - the title page for the next chapter has the cutest photo of Kakeru and a Nara deer on it too, it makes me happy just looking at it :3 So cuuuuuute ><

11 Likes

Yeah, I’ve wanted to play it for a while too! I would say that it’s easier than I thought it would be, I’d say at the point you are comfortable with N5 & N4 grammar, have a bit of reading stamina and are willing to look up lots of vocab then you’re probably good. Because of the style of the game, you really do need to try to read to a pretty full level of comprehension, BUT, this might be just because I’m still early in the game but so far it has been pretty forgiving when I’ve got things wrong. I think there’s pros and cons to that - certainly it means that I probably find it about as tiring to read as a fairly dense manga (I feel like it’s similar in difficulty to a shonen jump series), however I’ve found that when I’ve tried playing things that don’t NEED me to read the text that I just kind of skim over it, even if I made an effort to play it in Japanese. You can’t get away with that here which is good for my lazy brain haha!

I haven’t played it in English before, nope. I’ve also not been using a guide and hope that I can avoid doing so. As I’ve said, so far it’s been fairly forgiving and has allowed for ‘fixing’ wrong choices. That might change later, not sure!

7 Likes