📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2021 🏖🏖

Read Chapter 28 of Yotsuba. Also going to try and do a chapter a day.

8 Likes

Day 1 - 8 pages of 夏目友人帳 ~うつせみに結ぶ~
Day 2 - 9.5 pages of 夏目友人帳 ~うつせみに結ぶ~
Not certain I can maintain this speed throughout the summer, but I’ll try and read at least 1 page of something every day to keep the streak going. :muscle:

And even though I had hoped to survive this summer season without buying any new digital or physical books seeing @ChristopherFritz read 名探偵コナン 瞳の中の暗殺者 made me finally order 名探偵コナン 紺青の拳 :gem:

6 Likes

Main post

Day 1 - June 1st
Satori Reader - 恋人 20, 21
Day 2 - June 2nd
Satori Reader - 恋人 22, 23

Didn’t have much time these last two days, when I have more time I plan to finish reading かぐや姫, begin the second volume of よつばと!and finish 1st volume of Flying Witch

6 Likes

Wonderful! Thanks for adding table :grin: Everyone, grab a chair and get comfortable :mega: :high_touch:

3 Likes

Summary post

June 2
・Read 3% of すべてがFになる. Just part 8 and 9 left of this week’s book club reading. (Part 6 felt extra long for some reason)

As for goals this summer, I really want to finish some books I’ve been tsundoku’ing the past two years. Which include:
・SAO vol. 7 and 8
・Re:Zero vol.1
・Honzuki, currently reading vol. 4, can’t remember the exact volumes vs arcs, but extra challenge if I can finish this arc before summer is done.
・I’m also planning to read the second volume of the すべてがFになる series with the book club which starts June 26th, I think.

I wonder if I can finish all of those before summer is done :joy: I think the fastest I could finish a SAO book last summer was 2-3 weeks. Aaah, ganbaru! :muscle:

11 Likes

First post for easy updates.

June 2 Update!

Finished reading the first chapter of 進撃の巨人, which was an additional 37 pages from what I read yesterday. The difficulty is so far comparable to the first chapters of other shounen manga. Thankfully, 進撃の巨人 has nice big text so it’s not hard to make out kangi or furigana.

This is probably all I’ll read today. It took about 2.5 hours to finish reading this (mostly because I had to keep looking up words and writing them down), but there were several pages which I could read without pausing at all.

I wanted to read today before answering, so sorry for the delayed response. For context, I’m level 21 in WaniKani, and probably around N4 with grammar.

I kept track and noted about 86 words that I had to look up to understand the text. Of these, at least 1/3 were familiar (meaning I’d encountered them before but couldn’t exactly recall what they meant, or that I could figure out the exact definition based on kanji and context), while the remaining were completely new.

The first chapter is 54 pages, which means an average of 1.6 new words per page. I’d say that’s inaccurate though, since there are a good number of no-text pages (10), and pages with only two or fewer speech bubbles (17). This puts our number of “dense” pages that I actually had to read at 27, and easily doubles the number of words per page I had to look up to 3.2.

For the most part, I wouldn’t say the vocab is difficult. There’s a good amount of N3+ vocab, but much of it is familiar since I read a decent amount of shounen manga. There were lots of words I recognized from having learned them through WK or through previous fantasy-genre exposure, and only a handful of words that felt “obscure”.

The grammar in the first chapter felt downright easy, so maybe that’s an indication I should focus on increasing my grammar level some more.

10 Likes

This is a good way to keep the posts linked too. Another good method is replying to one’s own previous post.

Anyway, congratulations and best of luck with reading!

6 Likes

Today I read some lines in videogames but much more than yesterday, and a short story in a graded reader.

5 Likes

This is a very nice idea, I’m probably friendly stealing this :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I have found it much easier to read than some other books so far. I think it is a lovely story.

2 Likes

June 2nd. Time: 30+ min. Manga Pages: 2
What: Manga からかい上手の高木さん (Volume 1), current pick of ABBC. Chapter 5, Pages 3-4.
Very little amount of text, and it’s very easy, but there are colloquilals. Also met new grammar point がる がる - Japanese Grammar Explained | Bunpro two times.

4 Likes

All programs already execute a series of ones and zeroes - maybe someone was trying to see what’d happen if he turned DNA into ones and zeroes by treating the corresponding nucleotide pairs as one state each. Because I guarantee you that someone on the internet has tried this already.

Or they were writing a program that’d work in base four.

2 Likes

Yeah, but that’s not the case here, since the character was just trying to load the sequence (so it was ascii) and used the wrong program because he was distracted by his coffee cup (?!?)

If he had done it on purpose (and if it took some translation effort to turn into modern day machine language), I would have been okay, maybe.
(I mean, it’s him AND 49 other random people who did that and it only worked once; still, that doesn’t sound believable)

2 Likes

That just goes to show how good the AI was. It wouldn’t be a very good invasive program if it couldn’t, well, invade.

5 Likes

2021-06-02 (day 2)

Read 氷菓 for 30 minutes, advanced 4 pages (p.127-130). Looked up 28 words.

Around 86 pages left. I could finish it by the end of the week if I read 10-15 pages tomorrow and on Friday and 30 pages on Sat, Sun each.

6 Likes

Main post

Day 2: :white_check_mark:
Satori Reader: Kiki-Mimi Radio, Chapters 3 and 4.

8 Likes

Day 2:

I was procrastinating by browsing the forums again, but then I saw this thread and was like…I guess I better read something.

Opened マジック・ツリーハウス 1 today. Took in 20 pages in about an hour and a half - I read faster than I expected, and felt really dumb the 4th time I looked up the same word in the span of 3-4 pages. Some words stick so much better than others. Feeling good about progressing through this book. It will be done by the end of June…hopefully sooner, even if I take some ‘easy day’ breaks and read more Chi.

9 Likes

Home Post

For Day 2, I was able to get from the 7% mark to the 9% mark in reading 名探偵コナン 瞳の中の暗殺者. If I can keep up 2% per day, that’s 46 more days to completion, giving some leeway for 1% days.

There was some intersection of learning for me today:

1. I had 江戸(えど) come up in my WaniKani lessons today, and the main character of the story I’ve started reading is 江戸川コナン.

2. One of my word look-ups came up in both the book and an unrelated manga today.

Conan novel:
Screenshot_20210602_172801

Unrelated manga:

Aside from that, I got in a couple of manga chapters:

それでも歩は寄せてくる Volume 3 Chapter 27

ポケモン SPECIAL Volume 4 Chapter 45

i-0076

9 Likes

Summary post

Two day streak!

Day 2: June 2nd
What did I read?: よつばと!Vol 15
How much did I read?: 1 chapter (36 pages)
How long did it take me?: 20 min (but I was also eating :sweat_smile:)

I did a smart thing and may have stumbled onto a new life hack

So I knew I wasn’t going to get off work until 8pm today, and I knew I was probably not going to be in the mood to cut into my already-shortened end-of-day decompression time (which typically involves me browsing the internet while reruns of Kitchen Nightmares play in the background). BUT, then I realized that I could actually take a break to eat dinner (instead of working while eating, which is what I often do) and read then, before it got too late for me to want to bother. Then when I get off work, my brain can be done, which is what it seems to like xD (I should have just read before work, but I wanted to save as much of my brain as possible for work and doing The Things. My mind is a delicate ecosystem, which is often on fire. - A quote I saw somewhere on the internet and probably remembered wrong. Anyway.)

I don’t know why I didn’t think of this before - I used to read during meals all. the. time. when I was a kid. When I became an adult, I just replaced books with screens. But reading during meals could be a great natural Pomodoro-type thing to build into my routine, because it’s built around an activity that takes a finite amount of time. When the activity’s done, I can be done (or choose to keep going). Ah! Life hack!

I probably won’t have a whole life story to add to each of these updates, but I seem to be feeling wordy recently xD Thank goodness for spoiler tags.

12 Likes

Maybe writing down the sentence and underlining the vocab could work? Makes me remember the vocab longer than when I just look it up. The downside of this is that it takes way longer. On the other side, you can read the sentences you wrote down for the word at other times again and that makes the word stick more

2 Likes