📚📚 Read every day challenge - Spring 2023 🌸🌷🌼

I’m lucky I discovered it pretty early, but since I started using the forums on my phone more, I decided to keep a ruby template in my notes to copy-paste

The script’s def less painful lol, ruby’s so long…

8 Likes

April 4 :heavy_check_mark: :european_castle: :evergreen_tree:

かがみの孤城, 11-13%
神去なあなあ日常, 14-20%

Finished the first chapter of 神去なあなあ日常 and I must say the book is nothing like I expected. I was expecting a calm book with interesting forestry descriptions in beautiful nature, and sure, there’s that too. But I’ve chuckled so many times at so many absurd situations in this chapter. This is a small village full of interesting characters, and the constantly surprised eye of our narrator adds to the humour. Very much looking forward to the next chapters.

25 Likes

April 4th
I finished reading volume 1 of やがて君になる 佐伯沙弥香について today during my lunch break. I really liked the ending in this one, I thought it was the perfect way to wrap up the story. I’m not sure if I will jump into volume 2 straight away. From what I hear, its kind of a retelling of the manga but just from Sayaka’s perspective. I’m sure that means there will be some new stuff but I did read the manga less than a year ago so it might not exactly be exciting to “reread” the events of that story so soon. I might pick up a shorter novel in the mean time and come back to vol2 in a month or two but I’m indecisive so who knows :joy:

23 Likes

:cherry_blossom: :tulip: 4月4日 :tulip: :cherry_blossom: (Home Post Link)

Read:

• 四月は君の噓 ch4 - done with volume 1!

Word(s) of the Day:
興奮(こうふん)ー excitement; stimulation; agitation; arousal​
徒然(つれづれ)ー tedium; boredom; ennui​ (here specifically, in 徒然草)
言い訳(いいわけ)ー excuse

24 Likes

:bookmark: Home post // April 4 :cherry_blossom: :blossom:

・薬屋のひとりごと 4 (12% → 19%)

Word Reading Furigana Meaning
とばり カーテン curtain
杏仁酥 アーモンドケーキ [1] almond cake, I guess?
空間 くうかん スペース space, room, airspace
確認 かくにん チェッ confirmation, verification, etc.
片眼鏡 かためがね モノクル monocle
豚脂 とんし ラード lard, pig fat
氷菓[2] ひょうか アイス ice cream, sherbet, flavored ice

Not related to furigana, but I also found my favorite tiny cow - 蝸牛(かたつむり) :snail:

I could never :laughing: That script is a life saver!

1. apricot seed + condensed milk = almond cake?? ↩︎

2. oh hey, the name of the first non-manga book I’ve read in Japanese ↩︎

27 Likes

April 4th!

Today I read Chapter 14 of Komi Can’t Communicate. It was a fun chapter :slight_smile:

(Home Post)

24 Likes

Full day at work without much actual work to do, so I was reading throughout various meetings. Read pages 162-176 of Chamber of secrets and four NHKEasy article. I also translated the school lunch menu for the month and read the school lunch newsletter (definitely not 100% on the comprehension of that though).

[Home Post]

24 Likes

:cherry_blossom: :herb: 1-4 April :books: :honeybee:
Home post :house_with_garden:

1/4 :dragon: ch. 113, 17 min • :woman_scientist: 19min • :books:
2/4 :woman_scientist: 11min • :cn: graded reader 8 min. • :books:
3/4 :dragon: ch. 114, 29min • :books:
4/4 :snowman_with_snow: ch.16-18, 14min, :dragon: for read aloud again • :books:

plant related vocab 🌲 and pictures!

花粉症 (かふんしょう)=pollen allergy
樺の木か (かばのきか)= Betulaceae (birch family)
食虫植物 (しょくちゅうしょくぶつ)= insectivorous plants, carnivorous plants
モウセンゴケ = round-leaved sundew (Drosera rotundifolia), common sundew

モウセンゴケ🖼️

檜木/ヒノキ = hinoki cypress (Chamaecyparis obtusa), Japanese cypress

ヒノキ🖼️

杉、スギ= Japanese cedar (Cryptomeria japonica)

スギ🖼️

24 Likes

I skipped reading yesterday. :see_no_evil:

Today I picked up 私は幽霊を見ない | L30?? for the first time in a long time and had to get my brain re-adjusted as I’d apparently stopped reading midway though a chapter. It’s alright but it doesn’t really excite me - debating switching it to be my bedtime book and have my bedtime book be my couch book :thinking:

Also, I incorrectly posted this in the winter thread last time (:sweat_smile:) but a book club I host over on the Natively forums is currently voting. It’s the Mystery Book Club so if you enjoy mystery novels I recommend it, and we’re happy to help with questions about grammar and such. The pacing is usually around 30 pages per week, although final weeks do tend to speed up because people get antsy to know the answers.

25 Likes

Summary post

Day 3: April 3rd
Missed :upside_down_face:

Day 4: April 4th
What did I read?: ペンギン・ハイウェイ :penguin:
How much did I read?: 3 pages
How long did it take me?: 15 min

Wow new record for earliest missed challenge day for me :upside_down_face: I honestly just could not do it yesterday, idek, I was like all I need to do is open the book and read one page to keep my challenge streak, but I still couldn’t get myself to do it :sob: I really don’t know how to explain this, I’m so tired for no reason and sort of bored but also everything just feels torturous to do.

I did force myself to open the book today. Why is it a struggle this is supposed to be fun you’re supposed to enjoy this hhhhh brain why are you like this Hoping I will be out of the doldrums tomorrow :upside_down_face:

29 Likes

4月2-3日 :cherry_blossom:
:house:

Read: 准教授・高槻彰良の推察2 (25% → 41%)
Made it around halfway through the second chapter.

Vocab

四方八方 しほうはっぽう in all directions
中耳炎 ちゅうじえん otitis media; inflammation of the middle ear

Read: 剣が君
Time: Way too long
Decided to start playing the game 剣が君 which I’ve heard really good things about but also that it’s not an easy read. It’s definitely not, the exposition at the beginning was rough to get through. I almost decided to drop it and come back later but I decided to push through. It’s set in the Edo period and there was a lot of historical descriptions and name dropping of people whose names I didn’t know how to read so my reading pace slowed down a lot. Once I got past there though things went a lot more smoothly and I got really into the game and ended up playing until way too late.
Edit: Apparently there’s a trial version on the switch if anyone’s interested

Bonus cute Tanuki friend
202304041910371_3

Vocab

自刃 じじん suicide by the sword
士農工商 しのうこうしょう hierarchy of samurai, farmers, artisans, and merchants in Edo society
桑原桑原 くわばらくわばら knock on wood

26 Likes

:tulip:April 4:tulip:
|||||Home Post|||||

:white_flower:Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar
Just reviewed some things, making sure I understand each key word from Grammatical Terms.

:video_game:二ノ国白き聖灰の女王・ババナシア王国へ行こう!
Focused on some side quests and leveling my ウッキー so that it was useful.

27 Likes

Home

・4月4日・

• 41 pages of サマーサイダー, finishing ch 1 and starting ch 2, leaving off on pg 63. Oh my god. The neighboring town (across a mountain pass) is 鈴無市 Suzumu-shi, which in 2.43 is the name of a town that neighbors 紋代町 Monshiro-chou (not with mountains between), both of which are where several of the 2.43 characters live. I wonder if it’s the same Suzumu.
    Oh no, ch 2 starts with a flashback to the beginning of last year, and I’ve become fond of the teacher who will die mysteriously 4 months from then.
Some vocab of note:

一理ある (いちりある) [expression, ラ五] to have a point; to have some truth; to some sense; to have some merit
親分子分 (おやぶんこぶん) [n.] boss and henchmen; boss and underlings
蒼穹 (そうきゅう) [n.] formal/literary version of 青空
蟬時雨 (せみしぐれ) [expression, n.] outburst of cicadas singing; chorus of cicadas
歯どめがかからない [expression, い-adj.] unstoppable (of something bad)
男勝り (おとこまさり) [n., な-adj., の-adj.] (of a gal) strong-minded; spirited; mannish
灼け爛れる (やけただれる) [自一] to be hideously burned; to be burned raw
夜目が利く(よめがきく) [expression, カ五] to see well in the dark; to have good night vision
しおらしい [い-adj.] meek; gentle; modest; sweet. Nothing to do with salt lol
先天的(せんてんてき) [な-adj.] inborn; innate; inherent; congenital; hereditary
後天的(こうてんてき) [な-adj.] acquired. I also happened upon that 後天 means “the day after tomorrow” in Chinese, though it has no such meaning in Japanese.
初体験(はつたいけん or しょたいけん) [n.] first sexual experience. It also more generally just means “first experience (of something),” but in this case it was clearly the former lol
後ろめたい (うしろめたい) [い-adj.] guilty (conscience, feeling, look, etc.); (feeling) uneasy

23 Likes

Feeling this, though for me I kind of know the reason, I’ve got a nasty cold and am on a tour of Jordan (Egypt last week).

Yesterday I walked 22000 steps, many of them uphill, and felt like death in the evening with low grade fever. My Covid test is negative but I’m suspicious still…

4/4 1 page 夜カフェ - I did push myself to read a single page!

21 Likes

:books: :blossom: softlyraining’s blossoming book stack :cherry_blossom: :open_book:

April 4th

:orange_square: NANA 1 (49% → 55%)

I have thoughts, but it’s already late here, so they’ll have to wait until tomorrow.

25 Likes

If you’re on a PC, a really easy way to do this is to type your Japanese text in Word, then use Ruby in Word to put on furigana. Then copy and paste from Word into Wanikani. The coding happens automatically somehow and it shows up correctly.

日本語(にほんご)

The ruby button in Word looks like this:

12 Likes

2023年4月5日

こんばんは。今日はちょっとだけ読みました。ところが、後でゲームをプレイするつもりです。昨日は地獄楽のアニメ化を観たから漫画を買った。そして明日から読むつもりです。

22 Likes

毎日読解チャレンジ・3~4日目

予定通り毎日テキストを読んでいまーす!ギリギリなんだけど… (T∀T )
とっても時間かかるので、週末に分からない語彙と文法ポイントを入れるつもりです。

Tired of reading in Japanese? English version here~

Read Everyday Challenge • Days 3-4

I’m reading my textbook everyday, according to plan! Just barely tho… (T∀T )
It’ll take a lot of time, so I plan to add vocabulary and grammar points that I don’t know over the weekend.

To write in Japanese, or not write in Japanese... extra notes!

I sympathise with wanting to wait to use Japanese until you know there won’t be any errors. In the end, I learned just diving in and making mistakes is the best way for me to learn!

All this to say – I don’t recommend anyone use my writing/speaking as a point of study 'cause it’s probably full of inaccuracies haha. Also, if anyone feels the urge to correct me please feel welcome, and I’ll update my posts~

:cherry_blossom: ホーム投稿 :cherry_blossom:

26 Likes

:open_book: :desktop_computer: :cherries: :cherry_blossom: April 1

Played BU$TAFELLOWS for half an hour

:open_book: :desktop_computer: :cherries: :cherry_blossom: April 2

Played B$ for 1.5h, finishing Shuu’s route so I’m up to date with the club. Read this week’s 僕が愛したすべての君へ for the IBC and restarted reading わたしの幸せな結婚 which I dropped back in November around the 25% mark if I remember correctly due to…life. Only got to 2% though.

:open_book: :desktop_computer: :cherries: :cherry_blossom: April 3

Read some of this week’s Grammar Dictionary reading, started 999 for the VN club although I only played for 15 minutes, and read わたしの幸せな結婚 (2% → 13%).

:open_book: :desktop_computer: :cherries: :cherry_blossom: April 4

Some Grammar Dictionary, and then mostly reading わたしの幸せな結婚 (13% → 28%). I’m already past the place where I dropped it the first time, that was faster than expected!

I’ve also heard both of those! I really want to play it eventually but probably need to get a few more games/books under my belt first. Looking forward to seeing how you fare with it and if the hard parts are just at the start or throughout the whole game.

31 Likes

:cherry_blossom: APRIL HOME POST :cherry_blossom:

2023年4月5日/:tulip:
ちょっと遅れているけど、僕も今から毎日読むことに頑張るつもりです!今読んでいるラノベはじつは本楽曲ボカロイドの曲の小説化としたものです。
そのタイトルはグッバイ宣言!去年の夏ではまってた曲でもあるし、(特にギターソロいいでね)
ラノベとしてもすごく面白い作品だと思います。今は六十ページくらい読んだところです。

2023年4月6日/:blossom:
第二章まで届きました。今日も二十ページくらい読めて実は自分に誇りに思う。
そろそろテンション上がるところに来たからめっちゃ読みたくなる。
I also got to WK Level 32 today!

2023年4月7日/:cherry_blossom:
普段は夜に読んでいるけど今日は妙に頭はかゆかったからあんまり読まずに寝ることにした。

2023年4月9日/:tulip:
試験週間だったから昨日読めなかったけど、今日は十ページくらい読むことができた。忙しくなりそうだが頑張ります。

2023年4月15日/:blossom:
試験週間終わるところです!! 、
そしてまた読み始めるとした僕は今日、二十ページ読みました。