📚📚 Read every day challenge - Spring 2022 🌸 🌱

I’ve made this userscript that might be helpful to people here:

15 Likes

I wrote a bit about what I was reading last night at the time, but for an official update, I read 16 pages of 三毛猫ホームズの推理, finishing part 1, section 4.

Also, some minor fun bits from my reading:

なるほど、そんなことがあったのかと片山は内心肯いた。

I loved this sentence. Something about the imagery of someone nodding on the inside. :joy:

Also I was delighted by 浮浪者 (vagabond) which I dutifully learned from 怪人二十面相 back in 2020 and I’m pretty sure I haven’t seen since :sweat_smile:

19 Likes

Hah, I would make my own typo immediately after pointing out someone else’s. Fixed, thank you!

6 Likes

:tiger2: :books: Tanuki Den (aka Homepost): Date 20220405 :cherry_blossom: :raccoon:

Tanuki Scroll V: 春先の雪女 :snowflake:

Read today’s Hyakumonogatari, about a haiku poet and Yuki-onna!

:seedling: Japanese found in the tall grass :seedling:

New Things

俳人「はいじん」ー Haiku poet. Self-explanatory really, but I think this is the first time I’ve ever happened upon this.
女らしく「おんならしく」ー Feminine; ladylike
笑い掛ける「わらいかける」ー To smile at; to grin at
あでやかな「艶やか」ー Glamorous; enchanting; bewitching. Cool kanji! 「艶」 though use of it is a bit out-dated.
歩きぶり「あるきぶり」ー Way of walking; one’s walking style
念入り「ねんいり」ー Careful; scrupulous; thorough
もしや「若しや」ー Perhaps; possibly
あるいは「或いは」ー Or; either

Forgotten Things

Meanings
得意とくい」ー Good at; skilled at; forte

Sorry for passing on the typoitis! :sweat_smile:

24 Likes

Heh, I just memorize what number my home post is (# 70 in this thread) and edit the url directly to jump to it. Or click the link I leave in each daily update. (Notifications help me navigate to my latest update)

10 Likes

:cherry_blossom:home post:cherry_blossom:
Read 97 manga and one novel so far this year!

小説:about 30% done

四月
01 02 03
04 05 06 07 08 09 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30

五月
I read most of the days but lost track. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

26 Likes

Ah, with Japanese month names, will get on it in the afternoon

3 Likes

Gotta be as 本格的 as possible :joy:

5 Likes

Dunno man, using Arabic numerals instead of 一日, 二日, 三日…

3 Likes

ahhh might be too much 本格的 :durtle_vin:

5 Likes

春2022の毎日読みチャレンジ 5日

I’ve finished up page 23 and read page 24. Since I had to head to my psychiatrist I took my book with me and just tried to see what I could understand when just reading, without looking things up so technically I read more than just up until page 24.

I… There was a lot of science stuff I didn’t quite get. Since this is a mystery novel I would assume that I this will actual come in as being plot-relevant when Kusanagi is going to solve the case. To quote him (more or less) 理系オンチのせい

Not translated yet because my back is killing me right now. Also no vocabulary list because that would require me to sit up.

I will not keep this word from you however:
あほぼん - Stupid Osakan

I only looked for ほぼ, and the word above had nothing to do with the novel :sweat_smile: Just thought it was funny.

Thank you for helping me out :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Good to know that I just managed to confuse myself.

26 Likes

Day 5 :heavy_check_mark: :cat2:

三毛猫ホームズの推理 ~17% to 21%, chapter 1 section 4 to halfway through section 5

This section was pure katakana madness, ranging from (no spoilers really) アラン・ドロン (Alain Delon) to ラフマニノフ (Rachmaninoff) and ツァラトゥストラ(Zarathustra)! I also find it hilarious how, like in so many movies, (mild spoiler) the camera focuses on the cat (instead of a lamp on the bedside table) whenever there’s sex happening off screen/page.

I had imagined the Read Every Day Challenge going very differently for me. I thought I’d be reading a few pages here and there, one day from a book, another from a manga, in a relaxed, casual way, just so there would be some Japanese reading, even a few lines, every day. Instead, at least these first few days, I’ve been intensively and obsessively reading the same book at full speed (my current full speed anyway), regretting that I just can’t find the time to read even further each day. While this means I’m really enjoying the book, I’ll probably need to make myself slow down soon before reading starts eating away from the time I should be devoting to other things. I should also remember to take my time and practice my kanji recognition a little more. Right now, as I’m reading, I just don’t want to stop and spend a second or two on that kanji that I know (I know) but don’t immediately recall, I just quickly look it up (the joy of ebooks) and move on. Taking my time to properly “see” those kanji would surely be of greater benefit in the long run. No furigana manga are good for that - no easy way to look up anything.

Words and expressions of the day

後回し - putting off, postponing
小生意気 - cheekiness, impertinence
順を追う - to go through step by step
おせっかい - meddling, nosiness
時代遅れ - old-fashioned, behind the times
下心 - secret intention, ulterior motive
場違い - out of place, inappropriate
折り畳む - to fold up, to fold into layers
脅迫状 - threatening letter
確たる証拠 - definite evidence
接吻 - kiss (how did I not know this until now)
口付け - kiss (ditto)
主人公 - protagonist, main character
ばつが悪い - awkward, uncomfortable, embarrassing
口を挟む - to cut into a conversation, to interject

29 Likes

Great actor! I love L’Eclisse, Le Samourai, stuff like that. A little surprising to see him referenced.

3 Likes

11 pages of かがみの孤城 🪞 Week 19, finishing this week’s part!

More speculations among the characters about what is going on and maybe (cliffhanger!) we will find out next week if they can get some clear answers (we can probably all guess how that will go…).

Nice word of the day: 竜巻 - tornado
(I might have encountered it before, but it’s still a nice compound)

In unrelated news: I beat level 40, so yay for me! \o/ Two thirds done!

28 Likes

:seedling::four_leaf_clover::seedling:
\huge\color{#F599C7}\mathrm{🍀Day 5🍀}
:seedling::four_leaf_clover::seedling:

\small \color{ #FFC391}\mathrm{★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★}

Today I translated 1 page of よつばと!I got really tired and cold after being suddenly accosted by bad weather when out on a long walk, so I barely had the energy to do even this much :sweat_smile: I’m just heading to bed now, I’ll read everyone’s updates tomorrow :ok_hand::+1:

\small \color{ #FFC391}\mathrm{★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★}

Tooltip

The flowers above the “Day #” links to my post for the previous day, and the flowers below link to the next day, except for the latest day ofc, they link somewhere special :wink:

33 Likes

Summary post :bookmark:

April 5th :cherry_blossom:

・Honzuki no Gekokujou 9 (95% → 100%)

Yay, I finished the book :3 :sparkles: I went through the highlights I’ve marked through the ebook and found the answer to mysterious 4-particle combo. Turns out it was its own word/grammar structure:

…君ならではの[noun]…

Yeah, at first I thought it was なら+で+は+の and couldn’t make sense of it, but is actually ならでは+の, which I’ve learned on BunPro recently, so that’s awesome. ならでは (JLPT N1) | Bunpro – Japanese Grammar Explained

In other news, I had to fight the urge of starting Honzuki 10. I did open the book to take a peek at illustrations and characters pages, but I didn’t start reading the prologue. Good job me >:3 Gotta stay focused on the book club books. :sparkles: Celebrates one tiny piece of self-control :sparkles:

・Honzuki no Gekokujou 10 (0% → 2%)

35 Likes

Day 3 :apple: :apple:

Finished the first chapter of Death Note today. Was really caught off guard when I was able to recognize most of the kanji in 国際刑事警察機構会議. A year ago I presume such a wall of kanji would’ve scared me nuts.

Speaking of the plot, a lot of time had passed since I watched the anime so I totally forgot how much of a psycho Light truly is.

Also, had to make a little hack when looking through the thread. Present to you a mandatory love dispenser (copy-pastable in F12 console):

window.onscroll = function(){$("button[title='like this post']:not(.likedtomyhearthscontent)").each(function(){$(this).click();$(this).addClass("likedtomyhearthscontent")});}

:pleading_face::point_right: :point_left:

29 Likes

This explains this:
I found the combo of 大嫌い and likes on my post amusing :joy:

20 Likes

Argh, I spent all of my likes for today, so can’t like this one, the most important one.

12 Likes

Day 5

Today I read half of the 4th chapter of 透明カメレオン! Today is just a short update, since it’s late and I am very sleepy :sleeping:

I’m noticing a pattern in this book: the author likes to inject random dark mystery. So far it isn’t really effecting the plot… but the fact that the author keeps putting scary/weird vibes out there makes me wonder if he’s preparing us for horror, or simply just trying to keep us readers on our toes?

Not a spoiler, but related to the book, every section ends with the main character introducing the next song for his radio show. I’ve been thinking in addition to my reading that I’d take time to listen to the song afterwards. :notes:

I’ll add my words here later!

:face_with_monocle::closed_book:

:cherry_blossom::house_with_garden: My Home Post :house_with_garden::cherry_blossom:

This is exactly I’ve started to feel! The only additional feeling is that I know I’m unintentionally “setting a standard” that I’ll feel awful not reaching later- actually today, since it was a half a chapter. I’m going to try and take it a little easier too :sob:

29 Likes