📚📚 Read every day challenge - Spring 2022 🌸 🌱

Today I spent a bit more time listening to la quête d’ewilan than usual since there was only a short chapter of around 3 minutes left to finish the first part of the book club im reading it with. I also noticed that that is scheduled for 2 months and not just April, so I have way more time than I thought. I think I’ll keep aiming for ~10 minutes a day and just go over the week’s part again when I’m done. It won’t be the completely passive exposure I was going for, but :man_shrugging:
I also read another chapter of le petit Nicolas. That’s become a thing I can do when I’m tired already, which is great. :blush:

My progress since last time

Le petite Nicolas (87→95/148p)(49→53%)
La quête d’ewilan: d’un monde à l’autre (34→58/334m)(10→14%)
A1 5 Minuten-Lektüren Où est le thym (1/20 stories→NA)

21 Likes

Day 4 / Calendar

Today I didn’t have much time to read for reasons. So I’ve only read 3 pages of Takagi-san in about 30 minutes or so while being occupied with entirely different things. The reading itself went well, didn’t need much dictionary usage and only found 1 or 2 sentences where I didn’t know where to even begin.

23 Likes

April 4th!

Chapter 44 of Yotsuba today - The chapter was called よつばとねつ, which is a coincidence since I’ve come down with a bit of a nasty cold, so I have a temperature too. :face_with_thermometer:

I was sad that she never got to go and see the cows, but the panels of her dad pulling her along in the futon were adorable :blush:

(Home Post)

26 Likes

Day 4

Today I read the third chapter of 透明カメレオン!That puts me at page 72!!

To think, in less than I year I’m be able to read “real” books, and read a chapter within one day. How?!? I’m so grateful for this challenge. It improves my confidence by leaps and bounds.

Having said that though… I felt lazy today. I didn’t want to look up how to pronounce the word if I understood the meaning, or the grammar point of I got the idea. It was a good day for reading, and a bad day for studying :sweat_smile:

As for the story… the main character is just digging himself into a deeper and deeper hole. It’s getting cringy :grimacing: The girl (who may or may not have committed a crime!!) is a big fan of our main character‘s radio show. The main character obviously has some kind of crush on her, but doesn’t want to reveal his face for fear she’ll stop being a fan/talking with him at the bar. Basically what starts off as an innocent taking-advantage-of-a-misunderstanding is now turning into him fully lying to her. It’d be so easy for her to discover his lie! Plus, he’s bringing other people into it… it’s just, unending tension hanging by a thread :see_no_evil:

The words I wasn’t able to guess the meaning of:

遮る (さえぎる) to interrupt
いい歳して (とし) to be old enough (to know better)
(かかと) heel (of foot)
津々 (しんしん) overflowing, gushing
煩わしい (わずら) troublesome, annoying, complicated
頭頂部 (とうちょうぶ) top area of one’s head

:cherry_blossom::house_with_garden: My Home Post :house_with_garden::cherry_blossom:

22 Likes

Day 4 :heavy_check_mark: :cat2:

三毛猫ホームズの推理 ~14% to 17%, chapter 1 section 4

On weekdays it’s harder to find time to read, as I’m finding out. I wanted to finish section 4 but there are still some pages left. I’ll also probably need to start posting daily updates on the day after, because I’m a little too sleepy right now… Anyway, a fun chapter, had me chuckling several times.

Interesting words and expressions

息を切らす - to be out of breath
パクつく - to open one’s mouth wide and eat heartily; to gulp down food
血の気が引く - to turn pale
言いよる - to make advances, to court, to woo
夢うつつ - half asleep and half awake
色っぽい - sexy, erotic (I almost didn’t look it up, thinking it meant “colourful”!)
軽業師 - acrobat
高所恐怖症 - fear of heights
息を呑む - to gasp, to gulp, to have your breath taken away
しどろもどろ - confused, incoherent

26 Likes

Summary post :bookmark:

April 4th :seedling:

・Honzuki no Gekokujou 9 (93% → 95%)

Tiny read, tiny update :3 Tomorrow I’ll have time to finish book :eyes:

31 Likes

Life completely got in the way today, so I only got to read two pages of かがみの孤城 🪞 Week 19 :slightly_frowning_face:

23 Likes

Summary Post

April 4
Final Fantasy VII

Vocabulary
  • 機動 = きどう a noun meaning manoeuvre, but also mobile, agile or quick to respond.
  • 試作 = しさく prototype, experiment, trial manufacture.
  • 寄生 = きせい parasite.
  • 会食 = かいしょく dining together with someone/people.
  • 多忙 = たぼう very busy.
  • 始末 = しまつ dealing, management, getting rid of (I don’t think I understand this one completely yet, has a few meanings but the context was of someone saying “I’ll deal with you maggots” or something like that).
  • いきなり = all of a sudden, abruptly.
  • 花畑 = はなばたけ a flower garden.
  • 人材 = じんざい capable person, talented person.
  • 素質 = そしつ qualities, genius, character (J-J dictionary defines it as the qualities/capabilities you are born with).
  • 誘惑 = ゆうわく temptation.

26 Likes

:shamrock: :blossom: :seedling: Link to Home Post :seedling: :sheep: :shamrock:

So far this month I read 夜カフェ first part of Chapter two over 3 days (for the beginner book club) and one chapter of Happiness for the absolute beginner book club, though I’m still half a chapter behind the club there. :slight_smile:

I really have been enjoying reading again. I already mentioned that I felt a bit fatigued at the end of the last challenge, so I’m glad this didn’t carry over :heart:

30 Likes

ぼくじょうぼくじょうぼくじょうぼくじょうぼくじょうぼくじょうぼくじょうぼくじょうぼくじょうぼくじょうぼくじょうぼくじょうぼくじょうぼくじょうぼくじょうぼくじょうぼくじょうぼくじょうぼくじょうぼくじょうぼくじょうぼくじょうぼくじょうぼくじょうぼくじょうぼくじょうぼくじょうぼくじょうぼくじょうぼくじょうぼくじょうぼくじょうぼくじょうぼくじょうぼくじょうぼくじょうぼくじょうぼくじょう

Summary post

There’s a big old confluence of various pieces of bad news and some recurring health problems but truly, what is a Daisoujou update without some variation on “outside of reading my life is a mess” :upside_down_face:

So I’m trying to ignore all that and study harder lol. I did manage ~7100 words and 495 lines in a reasonable enough time, which is at least a new high for this challenge. These routes do repeat their core vocab a lot.

Hiding the image once more for the same reason as last time, very light implied spoilers. Better to be totally safe

Today marks yet another sighting of N1 grammar, に至るまで (にいたるまで, sort of “until” or “as far as”). One website marks it as N2. No one knows; N levels are mysterious. I’ve noticed I’ve really developed a sense for what’s going to be a clustered grammar point like this based on seeing it in the sentence context, so that’s nice.

The word of the day is 人気 which is NOT にんき, but instead, ひとけ (sign of life/human presence or humanity). Don’t we all love it when the same kanji combination can be multiple words? :upside_down_face:

I wanna jazz this post up but I’m tired. もう疲れた

32 Likes

April 4th :cherry_blossom: :cat2: :cherry_blossom: (Day 4)

Home post

Only a very smol update, had little time to spend on reading:
Today I’ve finished reading 夜中の汽笛について, あるいは物語の効用について and re-read some of the passages out loud to myself a few times. I’ve also annotated the text with some readings/meanings where necessary.
I’ve noticed that each time I re-read the story, I understand it a little better - and each time the emotions conveyed in the text become a little more profound and vivid. Yet to read the English translation - will be interesting.
While I don’t want to keep going at this story for too long (because it feels a lil lazy), I also don’t want to move on from it. There is still so much to understand! Damn is this fun :333

25 Likes

Day 4

Had a decent amount of time for reading today, as had to take some long trains for work. As a result, read from 8-14% 三毛猫ホームズの推理 (to end chater 1 part 3) and 67-72% すべてがFになる。Might read a bit more すべてがFになる as I feel like it’s just at the edge of some plot reveals but also I should sleep.

Progress though! I feel like 三毛猫ホームズの推理 felt way more manageable today than it did the previous two days. I feel like every time I start reading something new I have a period of ‘argh, why is japanese hard again!’ but luckily with each book I read that period seems to be getting shorter (helped this time I’m sure by the fact that I’ve been reading other crime fiction). Continuing to really like 三毛猫ホームズの推理. It’s just got a very pleasant tone to it. (More thoughts ahead、no real spoilers but being cautious) I appreciated the little glimpse we got of 片山 and his sister, they seem to have quite a fun dynamic and I’m excited to see more of them interacting. Also very excited to start getting some cat detective!!! :cat2: pretty intrigued about what’s up with 森崎 after that section :thinking:

You see, my bet is that the location is being set up because the book will end with an incredibly dramatic showdown on top of the crane, action movie style.

31 Likes

Day 1 → Day 4

4月
05 06 07 08 09 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30

:red_square: :wolf: かがみの孤城
:red_square: :breast_feeding: 授乳
:white_large_square: :newspaper: TODAI app

My first update of the challenge! Things started off a little rough; I wasn’t in the mood to do much of anything on Friday, so I went to my fail-safe of TODAI straightaway. That’s what it’s there for, though, so I’m glad it worked. The article was about how the age of adulthood in Japan was lowered to 18.

I then spent the weekend reading 授乳. I’m on the second story. I had started it during my first reading attempt but hadn’t gotten very far, so I just read it from the beginning. The premise is a little wacky, but I’m here for pretty much anything Murata, so that’s fine. :grin:

Today I read かがみの孤城 for about 30 minutes. Again, I hadn’t gotten far the first time around, so I read from the beginning. I didn’t get too far this time, either, so I still don’t have much of an opinion on the story. I’m eager to continue, though.

Interesting Words

仮病 [けびょう]: feigned illness​
矢継ぎ早 [やつぎばや]: rapid succession (e.g. questions)​
根こそぎ [ねこそぎ]: thoroughly; completely; all​
よそ行き [よそゆき]: formal (e.g. language); best (behavior, manners, etc.)

Glad to see so many of us are off to a good start! Really loving the energy from this season’s challenge so far.

:seedling: :cherry_blossom: Home Post :cherry_blossom: :seedling:

32 Likes

㋃4日 – Day 4

• ジョジョの奇妙な冒険

47~74
Appropriately for Jonathan’s birthday, I read JoJo. It was mostly the throwing away humanity chapter and I started into the chapter about rings. That chapter’s title has 一組(ひとくみ) (a pair) but with the reading ふたつ, which seems pretty cute, but now as I’m writing this, I realize that a terrible comedy doujin I read about George Joestar and Dario Brando getting married makes a lot of sense if you consider that George “gave” Dario his dead wife’s wedding ring. Mad genius. I am still trying to get rid of it though. It’s pg/pg13 for anyone interested, just pay shipping and it’s yours.

I am enjoying the actual story of the manga though. I’m curious on what Speedwagon’s accent is supposed to be. At first it just seemed a rough casual, but now I’m thinking it’s actually based on a real accent due to certain usage patterns.

28 Likes

April 4
Read 8 level-0s in total. Four as a warm up, and four as a cool down, to reading through some articles announcing that the stage adaptation of Spirited Away with also be streamed on Hulu :tada:

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/337ef3a190904a72f39255fcd002ea2c3587d3da

Funny that I literally learned on Sunday that the adapation even existed. Very happy there’s going to be a chance to watch it.

Details for buying a streaming ticket haven’t been finalized, from what I gather on this Hulu page. But I hope I’ll be able to catch it when they are.

Progress on Tadoku graded readers
28 / 44 level-zeros
x / 12 level-ones
x /10 level-twos
x / 18 level-threes

28 Likes

April 4th (Calendar Post)

Sadly on work days it’s harder to read as much as I’d like.

三日間の幸福 => 7 pages (99 minutes)

27 Likes

April 4 :cherry_blossom: Home Post

Got some more VLR in today! I finished another bad ending :joy: so all’s going great, it felt like a pretty easy reading time though. Sometimes the puzzles are the biggest time factor :eyes:

wooo VLR things

Yeah I’m definitely too nice for this game, ファイ was right :joy: Man someday there’s gonna be a route where I have to 裏切(うらぎ)り someone who only has 1 BP and I’m just gonna die, I feel so bad doing any of it lmao

I’m really still trying to figure out ディオ, like why is he here? There has to be something going on with him, otherwise why would he have killed that lady for her bangle in the first place? How did he get here and why did he need to participate, just to escape no matter the cost? I have questions :joy: Very curious to see where it goes

Also the fact that the character named クォーク keeps disappearing is not lost on me, we’re thematic huh Zero Escape? I’m still so skeptical of his whole situation, like not that I blindly trust ディオ but I feel like if he chose to 裏切(うらぎ)り someone he’d be like “yeah I did it, so what?” :joy: So idk what to make of all of it, this has been in the back of my mind for a while and will continue to be I’m sure

Something else kind of relevant I suppose: I (mostly unintentionally) ended up dropping SRS? For the time being at least, and it’s been good! I’ve been pouring all of my Japanese time into Zero Escape and it’s really nice :blush: I wouldn’t be shocked if I pick it back up later on once I move to reading new things, but for now I feel okay without it! More reading time :muscle:

Lmao now that you mention it, I definitely own hatoful boyfriend, and it definitely has a Japanese option on steam :joy: now that would be an adventure

32 Likes

Summary Post

Day 4: April 4th
What did I read?: An episode of some thing on Satori Reader called 奥日光
How much did I read?: 1 episode
How long did it take me?: 5 min-ish

So, I had a work outing tonight that was supposedly going to end at 5:30 but it actually ended at around 7:45, soooo I’m completely freaking exhausted and I didn’t really have time to read anything. I grabbed the first short thing I could think of and read it xD It was a cop-out day and I don’t even care. Tomorrow will be another day. Now I’m going to curl up in my soft blanket like the hermit I am, goodnight

32 Likes

I actually stopped new cards a week or two ago to give myself a chance to knock down numbers to something more reasonable for me. I’m honestly enjoying the break a lot :sweat_smile: I don’t even do much SRS - just around 30-60 min in the morning, but it’s my least favorite part of studying, though I do see the gains from it.

Oh I would love that. Especially if it involves the character with 高所恐怖症 :joy:

Oof, me too! Wonder if something (non-rona) is going around. I had to leave work early because my head is so foggy and my throat hurts just existing.

On the note of foggy brain, I came upon a sentence in 三毛猫ホームズの推理 that I can’t quite figure out (not a spoiler at all):

チャーミングスクールの教師だというのと同じで、てんでさまにならない。

さま is emphasized in the text, but I’m not sure which さま is meant. I found a similar phrase googling, てんで相手にならないさま。 which I think is like “to be a completely wrong match for”. That would make sense in this sentence as it’s describing someone unfit to be a 教師. So something like “It’s the same as saying he’s a teacher at a charming school - a complete mismatch.” but that still feels a little wrong. Perhaps it will make sense in the morning, or perhaps one of you will understand better than me :pray:

edit: I just found out 様になる means ''それらしい体裁になる。格好がつく。「和服姿が―・ってきた」" or ~[to have the appearance of, to be (socially) appropriate for outside] so I guess I wasn’t too far off. So, making that a negative…maybe more like he doesn’t look the type?

18 Likes

Home post

Day 3:

日本語: I read some of ミニスカ宇宙海賊 and some of 三毛猫ホームズの推理 and a bit of TUGUMI.

I forgot to decide yesterday, but let’s say this week’s manga volume to finish is ヨコハマ買い出し紀行 3.

中国語: I read an intermediate entry on Mandarin Bean, one page of 骑士幻想夜, and a bit of 孩子最爱读的中国民间故事.

27 Likes