๐Ÿ“š๐Ÿ“š Read every day challenge - Spring 2022 ๐ŸŒธ ๐ŸŒฑ

:tiger2: :books: Tanuki Den (aka Homepost): Date 20220403 :cherry_blossom: :raccoon:

Tanuki Scroll III: ๅผๆ…ถ :muscle:

Today I decided to read about the legend of Benkei.

Though now I really canโ€™t remember if I did the same in the last challenge or I just thought about reading about Benkei and then never got around to it, I think itโ€™s probably the latter :thinking:

Anyway, I definitely didnโ€™t read from this source before. The page is kinda big so I just read as much as I could. It was pretty hard and there was a lot of words I had to look up, so I will run away back to childrenโ€™s stories tomorrow and cry about my Japanese abilities :laughing:

(though saying that I am always surprised at how much I can read and recognise)

:seedling: Japanese found in the tall grass :seedling:

New Things

้ƒŽๅพ“ใ€Œใ‚ใ†ใ˜ใ‚…ใ†ใ€ใƒผ A servant who serves a samurai or kokushi.
็งฐใ™ใ‚‹ใ€Œใ—ใ‚‡ใ†ใ™ใ‚‹ใ€ใƒผ To take the name of; to call oneself
ๆฒกๅนดใ€Œใผใคใญใ‚“ใ€ใƒผ The year of someoneโ€™s death
ๆฎ‰ใ˜ใ‚‹ใ€Œใ˜ใ‚…ใ‚“ใ˜ใ™ใ‚‹ใ€ใƒผ To sacrifice yourself; to become a martyr
ๅŸบใ„ใฆใ€Œใ‚‚ใจใฅใ„ใฆใ€ใƒผ Based on; grounded on
่‰ๅญใ€Œใใ•ใ—ใ€ใƒผ Written work (especially a bound book rather than a scroll), seems to be more commonly written as: ่‰็ด™
็™ปๅ ดไบบ็‰ฉใ€Œใจใ†ใ˜ใ‚‡ใ†ใ˜ใ‚“ใถใคใ€ใƒผ Character in a drama or a play
่„š่‰ฒใ€Œใใ‚ƒใใ—ใ‚‡ใใ€ใƒผ Dramatization
่‹ฑ้›„่ฑชๅ‚‘ใ€Œใˆใ„ใ‚†ใ†ใ”ใ†ใ‘ใคใ€ใƒผ Hero, but like an unparalleled hero of greatness.
ๅ…ทไฝ“็š„ใ€ŒใใŸใ„ใฆใใ€ใƒผ Concrete; definite
ๅคง็ด่จ€ใ€Œใ ใ„ใชใ”ใ‚“ใ€ใƒผ chief councillor of state. Also a type of adzuki bean!
ๅฅฅๆญฏใ€ŒใŠใใฐใ€ใƒผ Molars / back teeth
ๅ‰ๆญฏใ€Œใพใˆใฐใ€ใƒผ Front teeth
ๅ“€้ก˜ใ€Œใ‚ใ„ใŒใ‚“ใ€ใƒผ Plea; appeal; petition
็–ฑ็˜กใ€Œใปใ†ใใ†ใ€ใƒผ Smallpox
ๅž‚้ซชใ€Œใ™ในใ‹ใ‚‰ใ—ใ€ใƒผ Hair tied up and hanging down; long flowing luxurious locks
ๅ…ƒๆœใ€Œใ’ใ‚“ใทใใ€ใƒผ Male coming of age ceremony
ๅบฆใ€…ใ€ŒใŸใณใŸใณใ€ใƒผ Often; over and over again
ๆ”พ้€ใ€Œใปใ†ใกใใ€ใƒผ Expulsion; Ousting; Banishment
ๅ‰ƒ้ซชใ€Œใฆใ„ใฏใคใ€ใƒผTonsure; to shave oneโ€™s head upon entering Buddhahood
ๅคชๅˆ€ใ€ŒใŸใกใ€ใƒผ Long sword
ๆ‚ฒ้ก˜ใ€ŒใฒใŒใ‚“ใ€ใƒผ Oneโ€™s dearest wish

Historical Stuff
ๅพๅฆป้กใ€Œใ‚ใšใพใ‹ใŒใฟใ€ใƒผ Japanese text from the middle ages that chronicles events from the Kamakura Shogunate (12C - 14C)
็พฉ็ตŒ่จ˜ใ€ŒใŽใ‘ใ„ใใ€ใƒผ Collection of tales about the legends and war stories of Minamoto no Yoshitsune.
ๅนธ่‹ฅ่ˆžใ€Œใ“ใ†ใ‚ใ‹ใพใ„ใ€ใƒผ Style of dance popular during the Muromachi period.

Places
็ด€ไผŠใ€Œใใ„ใ€ใƒผ A former province. Now present-day Wakayama and south-Mie.
ๆฏ”ๅกๅฑฑใ€Œใฒใˆใ„ใ–ใ‚“ใ€ใƒผ Mt. Hiei, in Kyoto

27 Likes