📚📚 Read every day challenge - Spring 2022 🌸 🌱

Summary Post

Day 33: May 3rd
What did I read?: ダイロクセンス Vol 1
How much did I read?: 8 pages
How long did it take me?: 25 min

We’re back, sort of xD Not as much progress as I would have liked today, but honestly I’ve been behind the whole entire day and now suddenly it’s 9pm somehow, idek. At least it wasn’t as bad as yesterday.

Today I learned that Rui has been on TV a lot recently (courtesy of Sumire’s boss, who also apparently knows who he is xD). I desperately want to see whatever show that was, like idek why but I want it so badly. I want to see Sumire react to it xD

This illustration was inserted into the chapter randomly and I thought it was so cute :3 (This is Rui btw)

Good words
  • たぬきじじい - cunning old man :raccoon:
  • 暇潰し (ひまつぶし) - waste of time; killing time
  • ただでさえ - even at the best of times; already; (even) under normal circumstances; in addition to; as it is​
  • 百聞は一見にしかず (ひゃくぶんはいっけんにしかず) - seeing is believing; one eye-witness is better than many hearsays; a picture is worth a thousand words
  • つべこべ - complaining; nitpicking
Reply/following the random train of thought with more random thoughts xD

I have a feeling it’s probably a little of both - the language has so much about it to learn (new writing systems, multiple readings per kanji, and then vocab and different grammar on top of it all) that I think it encourages people to look for ways to learn it in the most efficient way possible. Most people want to Get Good Fast. This is a huge generalization, but I also get the vibe that a lot of Japanese learners are a bit different from the bulk of other language learners in a way I can’t totally define (my first instinct is to say “nerdiness” but idk if that’s really what I mean :joy: I mean that in a fond way~ Like they enjoy optimizing stuff, systematizing stuff, making it neat and orderly. So SRS appeals to them. I feel like Japanese attracts that population, perhaps because it is relatively complex and challenging so there’s more satisfaction to be gained from feeling like you’ve “cracked” it)

31 Likes