📚📚 Read every day challenge - Spring 2022 🌸 🌱

Summary Post

Day 19: April 19th
What did I read?: 異刻メモワール
How much did I read?: 144 pages
How long did it take me?: 1 hour 20 min

My intent was to read one chapter but
I ACCIDENTALLY FINISHED IT

So, to explain a little more about this manga, the set-up of the story is basically that a boy named Tomo runs into this…boy-shaped being named Ritsu on his way home from school. Ritsu accidentally takes Tomo back “home” with him to the spirit world, and they can’t figure out how to get him back. So pretty much Tomo’s just hanging out in this weird spirit realm with Ritsu lol, it’s like slice of life meets the spirit world.

I feel like this manga has such a comfy cozy feeling, sprinkled with some casually terrifying things that you somehow still know won’t hurt you for real. It’s such a vibe. It’s weird and it’s lovely and it’s mystical and it’s beautiful. Very Japan. I think Tomo has a really sad backstory - though it hasn’t been told to us explicitly in words, you definitely get some hints about it. He’s just a sad, lonely kid looking for somewhere to be safe. And Ritsu is the sweetest, most cheerful little buddy, I love him, he’s so cute xD I hope he doesn’t have some sort of tragic backstory too, that would break me

Meeting Ritsu :3

This is my favorite panel of him though :joy:

(It’s a long story but they were having a fashion show)

All my emotions in the last chapter :sob: I legit cried, I don’t want to spoil it but man it really sucker-punched me straight in the feels. The author has a really skillful way of telling a story without words - like, you feel what happened before you can even totally articulate what it was. You just, like…you feel it.

This is labeled as “volume 1,” so I assume there will be more and I will absolutely be buying them whenever they come out.

Almost forgot my words
  • 塗 (みどろ) - covered with; stained; smeared
  • 大家さん (おおやさん) - landlord; landlady
  • お連れ (おつれ) - companion; company​
  • 人攫い (ひとさらい) - kidnapper; abductor
  • 私なり (わたしなり) - (in) my own way
  • うなされる - to have a nightmare; to make a noise during a nightmare

I have not seen Spirited Away, so I can’t really comment on that very accurately :sweat_smile: But from the synopsis on Wikipedia I skimmed just now, it does sound like a similar vibe xD

Happy birthday @Memoria! :partying_face: :tada: Might be belated…it’s still Tuesday here lol

32 Likes