📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall/Autumn 2021 🍁🍂🦝

Summary Post

October 1st
Final Fantasy XIV

Random words
  • 見張る = みはる to stand watch, to look out, to open one’s eyes wide.
  • 捜索 = そうさく investigation, search (for someone or something missing).
  • 合流 = ごうりゅう confluence, merge, conflux, union.
  • 国交 = こっこう diplomatic relations.
  • 見習う = みならう to follow another’s example (lit. to look and learn).
  • 解除 = かいじょ cancellation, rescinding, lifting (a sanction, etc). → the context for this was lifting conditions for some settings that normally have restrictions.

14 Likes

I’ve been reading, although barely. More than reading books I already have, I’ve been book-shopping again (I could shop for books for forever), and I noticed that I’m suddenly a lot better at reading titles and summaries! So that’s exciting. :blush:

I’m no expert, however, in my experience, あるsomething is a fairytale type of writing. It’s kind of like saying “there was once a”, and can be put in front of practically anything.

13 Likes

Summary post

Day 31: October 1
What did I read?: ハイ☆スピード!
How much did I read?: 5 pages
How long did it take me?: 1 hour 23 min

Aki and Rin giving us their take on Haru’s personality today :thinking: I’m honestly not sure I understood it all properly, which is kind of annoying me :sweat_smile: But basically what I took from it was that people rely on him, because he’s good at stuff, but he doesn’t really reach out to people or rely on anyone else. …Sounds a bit too relatable in some ways :sweat_smile: He tries not to get too involved with people, because he doesn’t want to hurt someone or push them away. …I think.

But in other news, I love how this little group is beginning to take shape <3 I think this is the first time they’re actually all running together, and it’s super cute. First Haru and Makoto leave together - for the first time in the novel, Haru doesn’t start off his journey to the swim club alone. Then Nagisa’s there waiting for them when they get close to the bridge, and Rin catches up with them just as they meet up with Nagisa. Nagisa still trying with all his might to keep up with Haru, and Haru taking pity on him for once and slowing down a bit so he doesn’t completely fall behind. The other two cracking up behind them because of Nagisa’s very earnest plan to run in place really fast while he waits for Haru by the bridge next time :joy: You can feel Haru begrudgingly opening up his heart a crack, and ever so slightly letting them in. <3

Here's an adorable illustration of them running together

Realizing people might not know who’s who :o Time to put faces to the names. The expressionless one trying to run away in the front is Haru. The one dying just behind him is Nagisa. The one turning back a little and laughing is Rin Rin’s laughing face is everything, he’s so cute, and the one laughing with him is Makoto

Good words
  • 窄める (すぼめる) - to make narrower; to shut (an umbrella); to shrug (one’s shoulders); to purse (one’s lips)​
  • 時折 (ときおり) - sometimes; at intervals; occasionally; on occasion; from time to time
  • 思うように (おもうように) - as one wishes; the way one wants; to one’s satisfaction (did I already put this one here? idk, but I’m putting it down again, I like it)
  • 靡く (なびく) - to bend; to flutter; to wave
  • 落ちる (おちる) - to come out (e.g. a stain) (a new meaning for an old word)
  • はっきり言う (はっきりいう) - to put it bluntly; to get to the point; to be frank
  • 押しのける (おしのける) - to push aside; to brush aside
  • 調子に乗る (ちょうしにのる) - to get carried away; to get overly elated; to become over-excited; to be caught up in the moment; to get cocky (this is Rin’s word lol)
  • チラリ - fleeting (glimpse, glance, etc.)​
14 Likes

Home post October 2nd graded reader about 着物.

I totally didn’t understand all of it, although I was able to infer a whole lot thanks to the helpful diagrams.

TIL that while wearing a kimono you have to cover your sleeve so as to not expose your arm / elbow or something, and have to wear your hair up rather than down, oh and make sure to take small steps.
I dislike all these rules, it seems like a bunch of fuss…

12 Likes

That’s actually a necessity :rofl: so it comes pretty natural ime.

7 Likes

:fallen_leaf: :raccoon: :last_quarter_moon: ::: TANUKIDATE 20211002 ::: :last_quarter_moon: :raccoon: :fallen_leaf:

Day XXXII: 花菖蒲 :purple_circle:

Decided to read the Iris link from yesterday’s story and turns out there’s a flower for every day of the year too… this site is a maze of infinite links.

Pretty interesting to find out the symbolism of the iris and what it’s been used for in history. Plus it’s real pretty.

~ New Words (mostly plant related) ~
菖蒲 (しょうぶ) - Japanese Iris - I put this down yesterday too but I’ve already forgotten how it’s read.
多年草 (たねんそう) - Perennial plant
茎頂 (けいちょう) - Tip of a stem / stem apex
腐植 (ふしょく) - Humus soil
開花期 (かいかき) - Flowering season (anthesis)
儚い (はかない) - Fleeting, short-lived
内気 (うちき) - Shy, reserved
神経痛 (しんけいつう) - Nerve pain (neuralgia)
蒲 (がま) - Common Cattail

so jealous Hokkaido looks really beautiful, and there’s lots of interesting history too!

Seriously?? No way !! What are the chances of that? :laughing:

Thanks for explaining! I’ve been slowly discovering new words to use with ある as a prefix.

14 Likes

I am currently reading 13階段 right now and I want this to reflect my progress here !! 1 page a day is the minimum to pass. I want to make it a habit!

| Oct 21 | 月 | 火 | 水 | 木 | 金 | 土 | 日 |
|—|—|—|—|—|—|—|—|—|
|Week 1| | | | | | | |
|Week 2| | | | | | | |
|Week 3| | | | | | | |
|Week 4| | | | | | | |
|Week 5| | | | | | | |

| NOV 21 | 月 | 火 | 水 | 木 | 金 | 土 | 日 |
|—|—|—|—|—|—|—|—|—|
|Week 6| | | | | | | |
|Week 7| | | | | | | |
|Week 8| | | | | | | |
|Week 9| | | | | | | |
|Week 10| | | | | | | |

| Dec 21 | 月 | 火 | 水 | 木 | 金 | 土 | 日 |
|—|—|—|—|—|—|—|—|—|
|Week 11| | | | | | | |
|Week 12| | | | | | | |
|Week 13| | | | | | | |
|Week 14| | | | | | | |
|Week 15| | | | | | | |

14 Likes

Welcome! :durtle_hello: I saw you edit the second post in the previous thread, so I’d like to encourage you to check out the second post in this thread as well :grin: I’ve un-wiki-fied the post in the summer thread.

Good luck with reading! :books::books: Ganbatte! :sparkles:

9 Likes

Home post

Day 31:

日本語: I read a lot of はめふら 11.
Read-aloud: We read a chapter of ふしぎの国のバード.

中国語

中国語: I read 我要报复. I added 报复, 失去, and 客户.

15 Likes

:jack_o_lantern: My tiny summary post :ghost:

October 2 Thought I had more time to read, but it went elsewhere. Another tiny read
・Honzuki 6. (30% → 32%)

14 Likes

:house_with_garden: home post
:heavy_check_mark: Day 24(10月 2日) :sparkles:

What did I read:
暁のヨナ , ch. 38, bookclub read-aloud. took us around 35min but we got so loud and crazy we actually stayed with that chapter for almost 2 hours. Honestly, ch.38 was one of the most dense and rare-vocabulary-packed chapter so far… One of the characters is an old lady, so you got old ppl fancy speech, but she’s also a pirate… and lots of minor characters, and several 方言 instances to rack our brains over…
暁のヨナ , ch. 39, prepared it for next Wednesday, it was rather short and easy, 38min.
歴史366、2 stories, 8min.

Words:

暁雲 ぎょううん =dawn clouds
見向きもしない みむきもしない =taking no notice; ignoring; not even looking at
拝む おがむ =to see (something or someone of high status)
かけらもない =there is not a trace [an ounce、a bit], knew this one already actually. can be translated into colloquial phrases such as: a glimmer of truth; a grain of sense etc etc
いっぺん (一偏)=方言variarion of 一回
毒舌 どくぜつ =wicked tongue; abusive language​
分際 ぶんざい =social standing
唆る そそる =to excite; to incite; to stimulate;
口説き文句 くどきもんく =pick-up line; (loving) words
前方不注意 ぜんぽうふちゅうい =not keeping one’s eyes on the road
目の届く所に めのとどくところに =within view, within sight
極まりない きわまりない =extremely; knows no bounds (e.g. rudeness); unparalleled

15 Likes

Summary Post

October 2nd
Satori Reader: Secret, episode 51.

Random words
  • 議題 = ぎだい subject or topic of discussion.
  • 聞き取る = ききとる to catch someone’s words or to comprehend what someone is saying. Also to ask about a situation or circumstances, to inquire.
  • 卵 = たまご I added this one not because of the “egg” meaning, but because it’s also used for someone who is training for a particular field.

14 Likes

Summary post

Day 32: October 2
What did I read?: ハイ☆スピード!
How much did I read?: 5 pages
How long did it take me?: 1 hour 31 min

Nagisa getting serious about getting into this relay with them today :o They’re doing timed trials today, and Nagisa’s like, hey, if I get first in this breaststroke timed trial, let me be in the relay with you guys. And Rin’s like…uh, yeah, sure, whatever (thinking there’s no way he’s actually gonna win). But I love how part of him is like, “well…maybe :thinking:” too, haha, like he’s not totally discounting Nagisa anymore. He definitely sees something in Nagisa that he hasn’t seen before, and part of him wants to see if Nagisa really does have what it takes to compete on their team. He’s also low-key hoping that if he gives Nagisa the ok to join the relay, it might get Haru to join too - Nagisa mainly wants to join the relay team because it’ll give him the chance to swim with Haru (he obviously looks up to Haru a lot), so how could Haru ever say no to the relay, in the face of Nagisa’s puppy-dog-like excitement for it? Like, you’re gonna crush that little puppy dog’s dreams? I don’t think so xD Seems like everybody’s noticing that Haru’s got a tiny soft spot for Nagisa now :3 And Nagisa pulls out the win! :muscle: Leaving Rin with his mouth hanging open :joy: So cute (and I love how Makoto cheers for Nagisa, too, that was adorable)

Good words
  • 喘ぐ (あえぐ) - to gasp; to pant; to breathe hard (can also mean to suffer; to struggle)
  • 声にならない (こえにならない) soundless; mute
  • 自信家 (じしんか) - person who has great confidence (faith) in himself
  • 生意気 (なまいき) - impertinent; saucy; cheeky; impudent; audacious; cocky; pert; brash
  • 囁く (ささやく) - to whisper; to murmur (I’m obsessed with this kanji, it’s so many ears :joy: 'cause you need more ears to hear something quiet like a whisper, I guess)
  • 一着 (いっちゃく) - first arrival; first in race
  • 疎んじる (うとんじる) - to shun; to avoid; to ostracize; to neglect; to distance oneself from; to give the hard shoulder
  • 掻き (かき) - stroke (swimming); arm stroke (excuse me but how am I just now getting to this word…)
  • 蹴り (けり) - kick (I like the way this pairs with stroke, like they sound like they go together)
  • 放心状態 (ほうしんじょうたい) - being in abstraction; being dazed; being absentminded; stargazing
14 Likes

Summary post

Day 32: I read two pages of よつば&!And I also decided to add another series that has a few more kanji, so I read the first 4 pages of ツバサ Reservoir Chronicle.

15 Likes

There is literally so many words I encounter then add to my own anki deck it’s at 626 word, I don’t even have half a year of it -.-

5 Likes

Yours at 626 words only. Mine is 17 407 words. Which is even better? I accumulated these from 2020 May onwards. I love it nevertheless.

7 Likes

Summary

October 2
:maple_leaf: 32
total: 99/108

• カラフル (73 → 81% text)

Okay, so I have 9 days left.

My plan is:
days 100-104 → catch up with 授乳 book club
days 105-108 → finish カラフル
(around 5%/day for both things)

It will be so weird to stop reading everyday (I still intend to read a few days a week, but nevertheless), but I really want to work on some other areas of Japanese :sweat_smile:

12 Likes

Home post October 3rd reading graded reader どうしてエビのからだがった?どうしてねこどしがない?. Now for sleep.

15 Likes

Damnnn same, I do love my own deck. I can put refrences few or only I could understand but stillll it likely be 1000 by the end of the year

4 Likes

:jack_o_lantern: My tiny summary post :ghost:

October 3 I thought I’d have more time to read in the weekends, but turns out I was busier than I thought.
・Honzuki 6. (32% → 34%)

13 Likes