📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall/Autumn 2021 🍁🍂🦝

It’s amazing how often you learn a grammar point and then see it everywhere for the next few weeks!

10 Likes

:house_with_garden: post

:white_check_mark: 一日目 9月2日

As my books are still in packing boxes, I’ll be reading on the web for a few days. Today’s reading was the NHK News Easy web article やく60%のども「ウイルスで学校がっこうやすみになって勉強べんきょう心配しんぱい

18 Likes

Thank you!!!

2 Likes

Home post

September 2nd 大海原と大海原 3 more pages.

Once again the magic of this challenge happened, I had an extremely long and tiring day at work and wanted to just call it a night, but I decided I couldn’t give up on this challenge on only day 2 so I had to read a bit, even just a panel, but may as well do one page.
But then the next page didn’t look too bad, and the next likewise. I was considering going more, but at some point I should listen to my body and call it a night, 3 pages is awesome progress given how today otherwise went.

18 Likes

I’m going to join on in. ^^

Admittedly, I’m not actually planning on reading 7 days a week - only on week days. Sssh, don’t let @windupbird find out. If I read on those days, I’ll count it as a continuation of my streak.

Streak count: 1

Read maybe 8 pages of the LN I’m going through. It has felt slow-going (90 pages in 10-12 days), but I’ve been doing a lot of other studying as well, so I don’t have that much time.

random musings on the ジョジョ LN ゴールデンハート/ゴールデンリング

So far I don’t find it nearly as enjoyable a read as 恥知らずのパープルヘイズ. I don’t like the author’s style as much. At the beginning especially, the author had rambling descriptions that I found annoying to read. That has toned down in later chapters, but at page 91/220, it feels like the story hasn’t gotten started in any meaningful way.

The lengthy descriptions of the effects of パープルヘイズ being used certainly were… very colourful. :joy:

Wanting a break from grammar, I decided to just stay on the reading train so I booted up 逆転裁判3. I keep forgetting it exists when I get busy. But I wanted to read for fun, and it’s a game I can just relax with because the text-box format precludes long sentences and keeps things simple.

Played through the last dregs of case 2, and to the end of investigation day 1 on case 3, when the actual trial starts.

17 Likes

.☆:STARDATE: 20210902:☆.

Day II: 花房稲荷神社 :shinto_shrine:

Pretty short, but still took me awhile with the place names, one thing with this wiki-ing is I’m learning all the places in Japan. New place learnt: 千代田区.

It’s tiny and squashed between buildings, it looks quite sad really, hidden away from everything.

“咳の治癒” - that’s the newly added kanji (咳) !!
(Now I have no excuse for keep failing it in my reviews :sweat_smile:)

18 Likes

:ballot_box_with_check: Day 2

I aaaalmost finished chapter 2 in 深夜特急.

Much like @chrisosaurus said, the magic of the challenge appeared for me too. Today there was no time to read at all, but in the end I thought just to read something, anything to check the box. Yaay!

New Things!
  • (ます-form)そうにない = Showing no signs of (verb), extremely unlikely to (verb).
  • ちょっぴり = a wee bit, a smidgen
  • はなであしらう = to spurn, turn one’s nose up, to put someone out

Main Post

16 Likes

I’m staring at this thread and want to join… I know I shouldn’t because it’ll distract me from my studies but… Aaagh, what to do :sob:

…Maybe a tiny list? :eyes: with tiny updates? :eyes:

16 Likes

Tiny things do tend to make things better. :eyes:

external-content.duckduckgo.com

See? It’s science.

16 Likes

Maybe a tiny challenge is made. :eyes:

Actually started reading to distract myself from overwhelming myself from studying earlier this year. Either using it as a natural break or transition to start my study session. Of course whether that’s for you is a different matter.

12 Likes

As a fan of the science, I must say I support your claims :eyes: Tiny challenge accepted! :durtle_hello:

Will tinily read every day and post tiny updates once in a while. And will prioritize studies, of course ;3
Thanks for convincing/encouraging me! :DD

…must make a tiny summary post :writing_hand:

18 Likes

:bookmark: :books: :durtle_hello: Redglare’s tiny summary post :durtle_hello: :books: :bookmark:

Calendar

:maple_leaf: :fallen_leaf:
Week 35
Week 36
Week 37
Week 38
Week 39
:jack_o_lantern: :ghost:
Week 39
Week 40
Week 41
Week 42
Week 43

:books: Bookmeter profile :books:

Tiny goals

Books:
・Honzuki 5 (75% → )

Manga:
・Kono Oto Tomare series, vol. 18-24

Link to tiny updates

September
            01, 02, 03, 04, 05,
06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12,
13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19,
20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26,
27, 28, 29, 30.

October           01, 02, 03,
04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10,
11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17,
18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24,
25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31.

Previous summary post

📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2021 🏖🏖 - #34 by Redglare

Update: (yesterday) Sep 1.
・ Read YagaKimi 8. Very coincidence, happened to be the first day of challenge.

PS. I apologize in advance for the tiny text, I take no responsibility for any costs of magnifiers that might be needed in order to read my posts during this tiny challenge :mag: :eyes: :stuck_out_tongue:

19 Likes

Recently, I have been a tiny bit lazy with my reading, so it’s good to get back on track with this challenge! :rainbow: :sparkles:

A few months ago I had started to read a book called 糞尿譚 because it’s on the Akutagawa Prize Reading Challenge and because it’s short (less than 70 pages) so I thought it can’t be that much of an issue to read it quickly in between other things. Well, I did not consider the fact that it was written in 1937 or so :sweat_smile:

Initially I was doing quite ok (the reading was slow but I think I got a good grasp of what was going on), but then (about 1/3 in) I hit a lengthy conversation where I neither knew whether two or three people were talking, nor who those people were :exploding_head: So I dropped the book for the time being.

As it happened, last week I mentioned that book to my language partner, and he got curious and read the thing in an evening :weary: We talked about what I had read so far (my understanding was indeed roughly ok), and he talked me through the conversation a bit. Freshly equipped with knowledge and motivation, I set out to read it again :muscle: I quickly realized that I should better reread most of the start as well, mainly to refresh myself on the persons’ names and some minor details. And that’s what my first book for this challenge will be!

Sept 1st: Read a tiny bit of 糞尿譚 because I was very busy otherwise.
Sept 2nd: Read a few pages of 糞尿譚.

From tomorrow, I will keep better track of how much I read each day.

19 Likes

Thank you @windupbird for posting! I’ve always loved seeing how positive and supportive this community is, but was always a little too shy to actively participate. It’s my first time joining in on one of these challenges and I’m one day late, but hi everyone! ( ´ ▽ ` )ノ

For starters, I’ll be going through さめない街の喫茶店 (1-2) by はしゃ. I hope to make a habit of reading more consistently (´・ᴗ・` ).

Sept
01 02 03 04 05
06 07 08 09 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Oct
01 02 03
04 05 06 07 08 09 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
18 Likes

Hello, nice to meet you! ^^ :wave: Good luck on building up the reading habbit.

11 Likes

Home post

Day 1:

日本語: I read a lot of 乳と卵 (and finished it!), as well as a lot of ミステリと言う勿れ.

中国語: I read 睡觉.

eta: I forgot to record that I also had a readaloud session of 7SEEDS (two chapters).

15 Likes

What a great idea!

I am also going to join the ABBC challenge on September 11th, but until then…

Currently reading 聞き耳ラジオ with Satori Reader. It’s a fun story with a nice pace, not too difficult, so I can slowly get back into my reading habits!

Sept
01 02 03 04 05
06 07 08 09 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Oct
01 02 03
04 05 06 07 08 09 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
16 Likes

Summary

September 1
:maple_leaf: 1
total: 68/100

• メタモルフォーゼの縁側4 (0 → 40%)

I want to rant about Bookmeter a little.
Btw I think I didn’t link my account yet, here it is

So, Bookmeter has this neat monthly summary option, right?

Last month, just after I proudly posted my July summary, I discovered that one of the books I finished had page count set to 0. It isn’t a big deal since someone (I think @NicoleIsEnough was being helpful again) showed me that I can manually change the page amount to any number I like in my own reading history, but since it was after I already posted my July summary, I was a little salty. But, I didn’t want to make a mess and repost my summary, so I decided that 仕方がない.
And now, this month - I was convinced that Bookmeter is using Japan time for setting the date. And everything seemed to support this - the stats for September appeared, the option for the August summary appeared… so I posted August summary. And then finished メタモルフォーゼの縁側 volume. At the moment it was still August 31st for me, but September 1 in Japan. Aaand Bookmeter added it to the August count. So my summary post was messed up. AGAIN. I know nobody cares and probably nobody remembers my data 3 seconds after reading it but it. is. so. frustrating. :expressionless:

14 Likes

Main post
Day 2 :heavy_check_mark:

I read the volume 3 of Tsubasa. :cherry_blossom:

Ateji revelation

There were a lot of ateji in this volume. At first it was for the name of the country and the name of some characters so I didn’t pay much attention to it. But then I saw katakana on 母さん and 親父. After reading them out loud, I realised they added the Korean word in katakana!!! (because the characters just arrived in a fictional Korea). I don’t know if my explanation makes sense but it was so cool when I realised it was Korean written in katakana.

母さん

親父

Words I had to look up

情報網 intelligence or information network
堪能 enjoying; satisfaction
足蹴 kick
治める to govern; to manage
隠密 secret; clandestine
私利私欲 desire to act only in one’s self-interest
圧政 oppressive rule; tyrannical regime
暗行御史 Secret royal inspector, or Amhaeng-eosa (it was written in Katakana too!!)
偵察 scouting; reconnaissance
辻褄 coherence
無論 of course
葬る to bury
理不尽 unreasonable; irrational; outrageous

16 Likes

Another day done! today I read some more harry potter. It was the bit where they go in the boats across the lake to Hogwarts and a bit of the sorting hat chapter - will probs read more before bed. Lots of nice descriptive vocab of glittering lakes etc etc. The most descriptive bits I had to look up a fair amount of vocab but in between that not so much which is nice. This book does feel like a really nice level of challenge for me right now. Nice easy introduction to reading novels in japanese.

Work is super intense rn so kind of purposefully not recording how much I read per day or setting page or chapter goals just now to encourage myself to feel like I can just read a little and that’s okay.

16 Likes