📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall/Autumn 2021 🍁🍂🦝

Home post

Day 11:

日本語: I read some of 鋼の錬金術師, some of パノラマ島綺譚, and a fair amount of からかい上手の高木さん.

Reminder to self to read more 小川未明童話集.

中国語

中国語: I read 回家.

S E P T
:books:
:fire:
:fire:

Calendar week two, fire with no misses!

16 Likes

9月12日:

What did I read:

• 大海原と大海原, Pages 1-5

Help. To my own surprise, I was able to get most of the grammar. It’s just the prologue, so nothing really interesting happening yet, but it sets a good ground for future events still. Also much more interesting to read than watered down text in beelinguapp :")

Words I didn’t know: 変わらぬ, 過ぎ去る, 幾度, 照らす, 想い, 揺らぐ, 祈り, 続ける, 今宵, 緊張, 城, 記憶, 取り戻す, 使い魔, お呼び. Basically solid half of the vocabulary for said pages. I knew some of kanji, though, so I was more or less able to guess the meaning in some cases.

16 Likes

Summary post

September 12
・Started Honzuki 6. (0% → 2%) :eyes:
・Also read Kono Oto Tomare vol. 18

16 Likes

.☆:STARDATE: 20210912:☆.

:fallen_leaf: :maple_leaf: :raccoon: :maple_leaf: :fallen_leaf:

Day XII: 野ギツネ :fox_face:

Tanuki’s friend: the fox! 「ココン!ココン!」

I listed to the story first without reading and was surprised with how much I understood, since I feel my listening is super poor. The slow and clear narration really helps.

Also, I love the narrator’s samurai voice: – わはははははは。ついに正体を現しおったな–

I read the story without listening after, I think I managed to fill in most of the gaps in understanding that I’d missed with listening (my head’s voice made sure to make the Samurai’s voice very epic). But I’m not so sure if I got all the readings correct, so I read and listened together to check on the kanji readings.

And, as always with Japanese, I’m surprised with what they decide to have in kanji and what to have in kana. Suppose I’ll get used to what to use eventually.

17 Likes

I finished reading Chi’s New Home vol. 1 the art was awesome and it was super funny.

After that I read thirty pages of まがつき. Actually I wanted to read 金田一少年の事件簿 but I thought it may be too difficult.

15 Likes

:house_with_garden:home post

:heavy_check_mark: Day 4 (9月 12日) :sparkles:

What did I read:
日本の歴史366 This is the book most fitting for this challenge tbh haha, it’s one of those one-page-a-day books, and it’s truly so nice. I got the book around May and started it, and I actually kept a strike till August… right now I have a month’s worth of pages to catch up to, so if I just do my daily page, +1 from August backlog I should catch up by the end of month…
2 stories today, ~15min

What I learnt:

公衆電話こうしゅうでんわ = pay phone, public phone

設置せっち =establisment, installation

通話料つうわ りょう = charge for a phonecall

いのち を 絶つ をたつ = to end one’s life; to commit suicide (命を絶つとは - コトバンク )

出 家しゅっけ entering priesthood; to forsake one’s life so far and practice asceticism (Buddhism)

14 Likes

Hello! I’m starting late, but boy do I have to speed up my reading until the JLPT! Wish me luck…

Sept
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Oct
01 02 03
04 05 06 07 08 09 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

September

• finished 1st chapter of コーヒーが冷めないうちに
  • コマツシンヤ: 睡沌気候
  • &Premium: Me-Time: ひとりの時間は大切。:slight_smile:
  • 坂月さかな: プラネタリアム・ゴースト・トラベル
18 Likes

Welcome aboard @Flicki ! We’re very glad to have you along with us for this journey :smiley:

7 Likes

Summary post

Day 12: September 12
What did I read?: ハイ☆スピード!
How much did I read?: 5 pages
How long did it take me?: 52 min (new record?)

Aaaand we’re back :slight_smile: And Haru’s back, too, actually, haha, from being out sick. Being healed by the water :heart: I love that he just skipped school and only came to swim practice, because school was not healing (the book legit said that, I didn’t even make that up :joy: I cannot with this boy)

Rin being all, “Haru, come on, we have relay practice,” and Haru being like “…wtf are you talking about, relay practice” is so funny to me. Um, Haru, I think you’re about to get a surprise that you’re not gonna like :joy: But we finally get a version of Haru’s iconic line: フリーしか泳がない (tiny fangirl noises)

I think my favorite word of today is じゃまくさい - troublesome; pain in the butt. Idk why but this made me laugh out loud when I looked it up, Haru thinking Makoto’s concern is a pain in the butt just kills me. he’s your friend and he loves you, be nice :rofl:

Some other good words from today
  • 苛立つ (いらだつ) - to be irritated; to get annoyed; to lose one’s patience (variations of this word seem to be coming up a lot lol)
  • 荒げる (あらげる) - to roughen (e.g. one’s attitude); to raise (one’s voice)
  • 言わんばかり (いわんばかり) - as if to say; as much as to say; as though (omg @Axazel, same word :high_touch: this kind of feels like a grammar point, so I want to try and remember it. …god knows I’m never going to learn grammar any other way)
  • すれ違う (すれちがう) - to pass (by) each other; to brush past (can also mean to be at odds; to clash; to be in conflict)
  • 思いもよらない (おもいもよらない) - unexpected; unforeseen; inconceivable
  • 掻き消える (かききえる) - to disappear; to vanish into thin air
  • 躊躇う (ためらう) - to hesitate; to waver​ (what even are these kanji, omg, I would hesitate too if these showed up out of nowhere it was written in kana in the book though lol)
  • まし - better; preferable; less objectionable; least-worst
  • 心配を掛ける (しんぱいをかける) - to cause someone to worry

(I feel like at some point I’m going to accidentally repeat some word, because sometimes I have to see a word like 5 times before I remember having seen it ever, but I don’t think any of these are repeats)

:hugs:

Why do I keep accidentally making everyone want to read cute manga in these challenges :joy:
It’s 'cause I like cute manga, they’re cute D:<
:raccoon: :sparkles:

Welcome and good luck! :wave: :blush:

16 Likes

Summary Post

Day 12: September 12th
Satori Reader: Secret, episode 38.

Random words
  • 発作 = ほっさ fit, spasm, attack.
  • 確信 = かくしん conviction, belief.
  • 芽生える = めばえる to bud, to sprout (works figuratively).

Today was hard, I was really going to call this one off. I don’t even know how I decided otherwise, I suppose my stubbornness is helpful occasionally. めっちゃ眠いけど ;;

16 Likes

:ballot_box_with_check: Day 13

Read chapters 8 and 9 in 手紙!That’s two days in a row of two chapters :flushed: Am… Am I speeding up?!

Guys. I’m in so much trouble with this book. I just finished only the first part (out of 5) and it is already bringing tears to my eyes. It’s the brothers personalities, where both of them care so much while both refusing the other’s love, which seems to be ultimately driving a wedge between them.

Today's words
  • 罵る (ののしる) = to curse, verbally abuse. Can be used when you curse yourself in your head too. My mnemonic: you caught a horse in a net and it’s cursing you. “No, no!! See here!!”
  • 逡巡 (しゅんじゅん) = hesitation, indecision.

:raccoon: :raccoon: Main Post :raccoon: :raccoon:

Ahh!! Word twins! I also thought it was a grammer point, but wasn’t successful in finding any YouTube lessons or anything on it yet :sob: (unrelated, but I also have been enjoying your reviews each day!!)

Hello!! It’s never too late! :laughing: Will be cheering for your JLPT studies~

16 Likes

Hi, I’m joining late! I’ve never done a challenge like this before, so I’m going to set the goal of reading at least one panel of よつばと!per day. I just read two pages of it, so far so good!

Sept
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30
Oct
01 02
03 04 05 06 07 08 09
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
17 Likes

Ok, I can no longer cope with this level of Tanuki cuteness at a distance, I have to own this book.

8 Likes

Congratulations, great to have you on board! Sounds like a very sensible and achievable goal and I’m sure by the end of the challenge you’ll really notice the difference.

5 Likes

Home post

Been a few days since I posted an update. Yesterday was the first day that I haven’t managed a chapter of それいけズッコケ三人組 because life got in the way a bit. However I did manage a dozen pages of こぐまのケーキ屋さん in bed before going to sleep, which was exactly what I needed at the end of a slightly stressful weekend. No new words, but I mean, that’s pretty exciting in itself, right? To be able to read something and just understand it! Especially as the furigana were too tiny for my tired eyes so I had to read the kanji. Back to my regular routine of reading in the garden, under a blanket, before work this morning though.

14 Likes

ooh hello! Welcome to you both!! :raccoon:
I also joined late, but better late than never, right?? :relaxed:
Flicki, wishing you the best of luck for jltp, i’m also in the same boat… let’s do out best!

10 Likes

I’m currently in the lookout for tanuki-related material, look at what this entire convo has done to me… :raccoon:
so keep the tanuki recommendations coming y’all!

10 Likes

Home post

TL;DR I accidentally read 7 pages.

September 13th reading 大海原と大海原, I tried to stop after 2 pages, I really really did. But it was so gripping and I wanted to just see a teeny tiny bit more. I keep making more ground on the book club, I tried really hard to slow down, but the book got me.

After 2 pages I tried to stop, but it got me, so I decided 4 was the number. But then there wasn’t much left in the chapter, I’d written out all the panels earlier so I knew there wasn’t a lot of text, and the story was getting really interesting.

So…

I read 7 pages today, finishing chapter 3 (the 4th chapter)… this means I’m now ~ 25 days ahead of the club (4 weeks - 3 days, ish).

I have a manga called 王様ランキング on my shelf that I’ve been wanting to read since I picked it up in Japan late 2019, I spent some time yesterday and today typing up the lines from the first few pages and making a vocab sheet of the unfamiliar words to add to Anki in preparation for trying to tackle it, maybe to give the 大海原と大海原 book club time to catch up, but not confident I can pry myself away from this plot >.>

I’ve also spent a bunch of time looking up grammar in a dictionary of basic Japanese grammar, reading is helping me piece things together so very much.

16 Likes

I like this word actually, the kanji are recognizable and I feel like the word appears quite often.

If you remove the う at the end the vocab has the reading ちゅうちょ and you get the noun form “hesitation, indecision” :3 Idk how to explain but these kind of “word pairs” kinda tickle me in a good way if that makes sense xD

13 Likes

Big endings just lead to tiny beginnings.

I should get to reading myself. Rooting for my boy :sloth: to show up again.

6 Likes